Sorry Amazon, but the FAA is Still Banning Delivery Drones

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sorry Amazon, but the FAA is Still Banning Delivery Drones

Amazon Prime Air 310x

The FAA grounds drone delivery services before they have a chance to take off.

Were you excited at the prospect of receiving Amazon packages by way of a low-flying quad- or octa-rotor drone? Sorry, but the FAA is here to burst your bubble, saying that such delivery drones are strictly illegal.

While the rules and regulations could change later this year, or in 2015, the FAA still considers drones to be a sort of model airplane. Under that classification, drones are barred from doing non-hobby or non-recreational tasks, like "delivering packages to people for a fee," or "determining whether crops need to be watered that are grown as part of commercial farming operation."

The issue with the classification leaves hope for the future, since there aren't regulations designed with drones in mind. while it's entirely possible that the FAA could keep up with its seemingly anti-commercial drone campaign, there's an equal chance that drones could be reclassified in their own category. Such a move could eventually open up drones to commercial use, like delivering packages or providing agricultural oversight.

The FAA's feelings on delivery drones is nothing new, but the latest affirmation seeks to assauge the courts, who said the agency needed to accept public comment on such an issue before clarifying regulations.

Ultimately, a bit of wait time until commercial drones take to the skies is a good thing. Safety is definitely a factor, for one, and considering the logistics of all the companies getting involved (Amazon, Domino's Pizza, etc.) needs to be factored in as well.

Source: Ars Technica

Hey. Congress. Quit squabbling about how best to ruin the country, and get on this. You can file it under "bowing to your corporate overlords".

Oh, it doesn't oppose Obama? Get over it.

Of course, one of the first things that would need to be ironed out before delivery drones could officially take off is the protection of operators against irate, beach-going women.

Joke aside, I'm quite disappointed but nowhere near surprised about this bit of news. Drone-delivered pizza will remain out of my grasp. *sigh*

The problem any drone delivery system has is how do they intend to stop me waiting out in a field early in the morning with my shotgun waiting to practice my shooting for random prizes?

Unless these things fly at over five hundred feet (in which case they will be into commercial airspace and will have to notify ATC, which in itself could kill the idea) they're going to be easy pickings, large, noisy, slow and flies in a straight line. Not to mention what happens if the poor sod near the distribution centre sues Amazon for launching hundreds of angry bee impersonators over their head per day.

Still, if it results in free dildos, books and Xbox games for anyone with a good eye, that can only be a good thing.

Government once again standing in the way of any sort of innovation. I am not saying that delivery drones are going to be a huge innovation or don't have problems but it is sad how fast the government steps in to stop anything from progressing, ever.

All you need is one mistake and a drone or just the parcel falls out the sky and hits someone. Or your package is damage due to dropping parcel to high. Or how would it deliver if you live in a tower block. Delivery drones are such a retarded idea.

Let's face it drones delivering our packages is a stupid idea with the current tech we have.

Im going to be the only one and youre welcome to disagree: I actually agree with this. Even if say it can only fly so high we all know it could just as easily be souped up.

Its a toy and a tool that can be used for good or mischief. How often do you hear about dumbasses doing dumbass things with their smart phones? How many videos of people doing stupid things are there? The last thing i need is a 120+ ton missile falling out of the sky especially since i live right next to an air base and apparently according to post disaster reports on CNN 'how easy it is' to knock a plane out of the air.

This kind of feels like a gun-debate ...except drones have never been used to kill anybody have they?

Aren't drones too expensive to deliver something like Pizza? Also what is preventing the drone from just crashing and turning your pizza into shit?

Good. Aside from from rescue operations, I do not condone the use of drones for anything else. Stuff like this would normalise their existence and operation in city airspace. Unlike a helicopter, drones of this caliber are far cheaper, easier to use and maintain, and can be deployed in far greater numbers.

Until very stringent laws are placed upon their ability to record private property and possibly track individuals, for marketing or surveillance purposes, then I do not want these sonuvabitches in any public or private (immediately over someone's house and yard) airspace/city limits.

What if someone shoots them down for 'phat loot' or the thing crashes into a innocent bystander? As cool as this sounds it seems a little risky... really, REALLY cool.

This idea of having tons of drones flying around delivering stuff should be placed far down on the priority list. As far as drone legislation goes, we need to focus more on allowing the bigger ones for agricultural purposes and others for law enforcement purposes (For large cities).

I think that there are just too many things to fuck up with the whole idea. People could decide to shoot them down. They could crash and damage and delay the package. They could hit aircraft in areas where aircraft tend to fly low. I don't imagine they'd drop the package from a height in case they damage it, so I could just go out and grab the thing as it delivers my order. Human error, things falling dangerously out of the sky. Noisy over public areas.

What I think is daft though is the whole 'absolutely no commercial drones at all'. Why? The idea of using them to check crops is both not very harmful (if a farmer is checking their own land, nobody should be there to shoot it/get hurt if it falls etc. and it shouldn't end up being that high up to cause problems to even low flying aircraft, not to mention the ban on drones near airports anyway) and pretty much unenforceable. If the farmers even get caught, what's going to happen?
"Hey, were you just commercially using that drone to check your crops?"
"No, officer, I was just playing with it over my field, as a hobby, you see. On my private land and everything."
"Well...well you just make sure you aren't checking them there crops or there'll be trouble!".

Eh, whatever, I'm not even sure about the laws on commercial drones in the UK (or the use of them recreationally either) besides the fact that you can't do it near airports or military bases, so this doesn't really affect me.

Clive Howlitzer:
Government once again standing in the way of any sort of innovation. I am not saying that delivery drones are going to be a huge innovation or don't have problems but it is sad how fast the government steps in to stop anything from progressing, ever.

Normally I would neither agree or disagree to comments like this, but this time I'm actually glad that the government stepping in early to put a break on this.

Everyone is thinking of some lunatic mischief or some crazy guy with shotgun gunning for free prizes... but I'm thinking of a possible new way for terrorists to deliver so called "package bombs." Even if drone delivery is someday approved, I'd imagine that not too long after some terrorist organization will join the fray and hope to blend in with all the delivery drones flying around... And all it takes is one successful drone version of 9-11 to rain on Amazon's parade & drown it completely underwater.

venn2011:

Clive Howlitzer:

Normally I would neither agree or disagree to comments like this, but this time I'm actually glad that the government stepping in early to put a break on this.

Everyone is thinking of some lunatic mischief or some crazy guy with shotgun gunning for free prizes... but I'm thinking of a possible new way for terrorists to deliver so called "package bombs." Even if drone delivery is someday approved, I'd imagine that not too long after some terrorist organization will join the fray and hope to blend in with all the delivery drones flying around... And all it takes is one successful drone version of 9-11 to rain on Amazon's parade & drown it completely underwater.

You are right, we had better halt all progress on everything that could potentially be used as a weapon for terrorists. No offense but that kind of paranoid fear is exactly what drives me nuts nowadays. Everyone is so obsessed with stopping some kind of phantom threat, that we cannot move forward anywhere. In fact, we keep taking several steps backward.
I work for a police force and I can tell you that lunatics will find a way to circumvent any and all systems, to deliver their craziness if they are determined enough. If you spend your whole life afraid of them, and refuse to use anything that could be turned into a weapon against you. You might as well just lock yourself in a padded room and never go outside.

Clive Howlitzer:

venn2011:

Clive Howlitzer:

You are right, we had better halt all progress on everything that could potentially be used as a weapon for terrorists. No offense but that kind of paranoid fear is exactly what drives me nuts nowadays. Everyone is so obsessed with stopping some kind of phantom threat, that we cannot move forward anywhere. In fact, we keep taking several steps backward.
I work for a police force and I can tell you that lunatics will find a way to circumvent any and all systems, to deliver their craziness if they are determined enough. If you spend your whole life afraid of them, and refuse to use anything that could be turned into a weapon against you. You might as well just lock yourself in a padded room and never go outside.

They shouldn't be banned because of terrorists. They should be banned because anyone who sees them flying over his or her house can, and should, shoot them down.

venn2011:
Zip

I'm with Clive on this. You face a million ways to die each day as is. You can't go running from progress every time someone cites how dangerous it is. You have to be CAREFUL. It's here and it won't go away. Running from progress creates stagnation, and the human race will just DIE in such a situation. No choice but to move forwards. It's too late to worry about drones being used as weapons, anyway. They already were to begin with.

Clive Howlitzer:

venn2011:

Clive Howlitzer:

Obviously there is no way to prevent something %100, but that doesn't mean there should be no rules or regulation at all and that is kinda the issue at the moment. Unless I'm wrong, there really are no rules or regulations regarding the use of drones as delivery bots especially in huge numbers. And I think the FAA is more concerned with random shit accidentally falling from the sky than some random criminal weaponizing these things.

If FAA actually takes steps to legalize delivery drones(provided there are no legitimate reasons to keep them banned) then I don't see any problem with taking a year or two to iron out some details before this becomes a thing.

Ftaghn To You Too:

Clive Howlitzer:

venn2011:

They shouldn't be banned because of terrorists. They should be banned because anyone who sees them flying over his or her house can, and should, shoot them down.

What impeccable logic. Should we also ban mailmen because I could jump him, beat him up and take his deliveries? Or do you lay claim to everything from the the dirt underneath your property all the way up into space above it? Do you make a habit of firing warning shots at passing planes? I am guessing you are the kind of person that likes to sit outside your house stroking a shotgun.

Clive Howlitzer:

Ftaghn To You Too:

Clive Howlitzer:

What impeccable logic. Should we also ban mailmen because I could jump him, beat him up and take his deliveries? Or do you lay claim to everything from the the dirt underneath your property all the way up into space above it? Do you make a habit of firing warning shots at passing planes? I am guessing you are the kind of person that likes to sit outside your house stroking a shotgun.

Nah, the mailman is a public employee doing his job and delivering the mail. At minimum, he walks up to the mailbox. At the most, he goes up to the door and knocks, or leaves a package. A drone, on the otherhand, is a privately owned device flying over my house with a video camera strapped onto it. No, fuck that noise. The shit companies like Amazon pull is too great to give them free range to do stuff like that. If regulations are passed that restrict the ever loving fuck out of their flight path, keeping them to a reasonable height and preventing any imaging of private property being taken, fine, go ahead. Great idea, I'd love to see them become commonplace. But letting them fly willy nilly is a horrible goddamn privacy violation waiting to happen.

Also, these would do a hell of a lot more harm to the postman than anything I can do. If I come off as a cranky Republican or something, oh well. But This is a step too far when it comes to privacy violations.

Edit: All right, clear head time. "Gaddahm drones in muh air, shoot em' down, Cletus!" is a pointlessly inflammatory exaggeration. Actually shooting them down is probably an extremely bad thing to do. However, I am still happy with this, as I feel the privacy concern are, at the moment, too great to allow. The technology is also simply not good enough, so you'll see a number of crashed delivery drones and people shooting them down. Develop the technology and hammer out some good, sane privacy and safety regulations, and then I'll be happy to reconsider my stance.

Also, why the hell can't we just let the postman have a goddamn job? He's already hanging on for dear life as it is, why do we need to eagerly shove him aside even faster?

Having a difficult time understanding how anyone can think allowing drones to fly domestically is a good idea.
It is not hard to see how this package delivery system is the perfect cover for spy/attack drones to also begin patrolling regularly as well as allowing the average citizen to become accustomed to the sight of drones.
What is perhaps less obvious is that the facial recognition database they are currently expanding will allow attack drones to hunt and kill anyone on their "watch list" without the need for a pilot. Effectively neutralizing the peoples only advantage over their government which is sheer numbers.
Once this is implemented it is pretty much game over as far as ever having any hope of restoring democracy.

Ftaghn To You Too:

Clive Howlitzer:

Ftaghn To You Too:

Nah, the mailman is a public employee doing his job and delivering the mail. At minimum, he walks up to the mailbox. At the most, he goes up to the door and knocks, or leaves a package. A drone, on the otherhand, is a privately owned device flying over my house with a video camera strapped onto it. No, fuck that noise. The shit companies like Amazon pull is too great to give them free range to do stuff like that. If regulations are passed that restrict the ever loving fuck out of their flight path, keeping them to a reasonable height and preventing any imaging of private property being taken, fine, go ahead. Great idea, I'd love to see them become commonplace. But letting them fly willy nilly is a horrible goddamn privacy violation waiting to happen.

Also, these would do a hell of a lot more harm to the postman than anything I can do. If I come off as a cranky Republican or something, oh well. But This is a step too far when it comes to privacy violations.

Edit: All right, clear head time. "Gaddahm drones in muh air, shoot em' down, Cletus!" is a pointlessly inflammatory exaggeration. Actually shooting them down is probably an extremely bad thing to do. However, I am still happy with this, as I feel the privacy concern are, at the moment, too great to allow. The technology is also simply not good enough, so you'll see a number of crashed delivery drones and people shooting them down. Develop the technology and hammer out some good, sane privacy and safety regulations, and then I'll be happy to reconsider my stance.

Also, why the hell can't we just let the postman have a goddamn job? He's already hanging on for dear life as it is, why do we need to eagerly shove him aside even faster?

You are scared about the cameras? Really? .... Like for real? You know what satellites are right? You know there are already cameras at loads of traffic lights and along roads right?

What do you think amazon is going to do that the NSA isnt ALREADY doing? I can go on Google and look in your backyard RIGHT NOW!

The mailman is becoming an outdated job. Why should we halt progress to save the job of one entry level industry when this alternative would create more skilled work?

fix-the-spade:
The problem any drone delivery system has is how do they intend to stop me waiting out in a field early in the morning with my shotgun waiting to practice my shooting for random prizes?

Unless these things fly at over five hundred feet (in which case they will be into commercial airspace and will have to notify ATC, which in itself could kill the idea) they're going to be easy pickings, large, noisy, slow and flies in a straight line. Not to mention what happens if the poor sod near the distribution centre sues Amazon for launching hundreds of angry bee impersonators over their head per day.

Still, if it results in free dildos, books and Xbox games for anyone with a good eye, that can only be a good thing.

GPS locators are easy placed in those. you can get quickly arrested for shooting at private property that isnt yours. Robbing somones house also results in free books, but its not something you want to do.

Im sure they are less loud than actual jets taking off, and people still live near airports.

hakkarin:
Aren't drones too expensive to deliver something like Pizza? Also what is preventing the drone from just crashing and turning your pizza into shit?

as opposed to hiring a person with a wage, social security, giving him a car and paying for its upkeep? no, drones arent that expensive.
Also what is preventing pizza delivery boy from crashing and turning your pizza into shit?

PunkRex:
What if someone shoots them down for 'phat loot' or the thing crashes into a innocent bystander? As cool as this sounds it seems a little risky... really, REALLY cool.

thats strange logic. "What if somone robs a cargo truck? lets ban cargo trucks".

The problem the FAA have is that there is no safety standards for drones. Furthermore the FAA does not operate on its own but is the organisation that implements the internationally agreed rules. So the FAA can't simply sign off to the commercial use of drones without setting safety standards and those standards are going to have to be signed off by EASA . Failing to set a safety standard will leave an open goal to negligence suits against the FAA for not ensuring air safety. Amazon have no experience of operating aircraft, it not like using delivery trucks, and they will find that air safety rules will add far greater costs than they expect. Commercial aircraft are built to the safety standard where you have to take into account events with odds up to 12 million to 1. Building drones to even half that standard will add large costs and I will suspect that the enthusiasm for drones will drop when they see the price tag.

I can see drones operating on a commercial basis but only in niche roles. Things like crop spraying, water bombing,fire watching and perhaps replacing police helicopters. Essentially turning existing airframes into drones rather than these little fan things that amazon want to use.

ambitiousmould:
Eh, whatever, I'm not even sure about the laws on commercial drones in the UK (or the use of them recreationally either) besides the fact that you can't do it near airports or military bases, so this doesn't really affect me.

Certainly not a blanket ban at least. Recently recieved advertising mail at work from the these guys who operate a drone surveillance service. Bonus points for one of their example uses being crop monitoring.

Clive Howlitzer:

Let me guess: you're one of those Rand-droid nutters who think we shouldn't ever have regulation ever because "THE FREE MARKETTM WILL FIX IIIIT!!"

Worth mentioning that these were a distraction tactic from Amazon to deter information from the tax issues they were having.

Heaven forbid we find a peaceful use for drones that doesn't involve violating our privacy! Join the Keep Drones Evil campaign today!

Under_your_bed:

Clive Howlitzer:

Let me guess: you're one of those Rand-droid nutters who think we shouldn't ever have regulation ever because "THE FREE MARKETTM WILL FIX IIIIT!!"

That would be incorrect. I mostly meant how badly so many US laws need to be overhauled for this century.

Saulkar:
Good. Aside from from rescue operations, I do not condone the use of drones for anything else. Stuff like this would normalise their existence and operation in city airspace. Unlike a helicopter, drones of this caliber are far cheaper, easier to use and maintain, and can be deployed in far greater numbers.

Until very stringent laws are placed upon their ability to record private property and possibly track individuals, for marketing or surveillance purposes, then I do not want these sonuvabitches in any public or private (immediately over someone's house and yard) airspace/city limits.

The TSA/NSA already has their hand so far up your ass you might as well be in a punch and judy show, why is everyone so paranoid about "AWWW SHIT, DRONES ARE GOING TO SPY ON US, NOT LIKE THOSE SATILITES OR RAMPANT CCTV". In my completely uneducated view of the world it's like someone being angry that their couch was ruined after their house burned down. Granted I agree with you about them being used for rescue operations and by extension other automated things like agriculture etc. but when it comes to infringement of rights I feel we all have a lot more to worry about than a glorified RC toy with a camera attached.

DerangedHobo:

Saulkar:

The TSA/NSA already has their hand so far up your ass you might as well be in a punch and judy show, why is everyone so paranoid about "AWWW SHIT, DRONES ARE GOING TO SPY ON US, NOT LIKE THOSE SATILITES OR RAMPANT CCTV". In my completely uneducated view of the world it's like someone being angry that their couch was ruined after their house burned down. Granted I agree with you about them being used for rescue operations and by extension other automated things like agriculture etc. but when it comes to infringement of rights I feel we all have a lot more to worry about than a glorified RC toy with a camera attached.

There is always going to be something worse or something that needs attention but that should not mean that would should pay less head to a small problem before it becomes a big one. Attack it while its manageable. As for CCTV, Satellites, and Internet Surveillance: I have written in the local paper a few times about the abject abuse of it elsewhere in the world and there are several people in local office who have as well so as long as the public is "regularly" informed, it should not get get out of hand for the moment.

Satellites however cannot take a very good picture of the ground, at least not good enough to get a positive ID on a specific vehicle unless it has a bug on it that can sync. Drones, even small delivery ones, can get a pretty damn good peak at the inside of your house and yard. Something, as far as I am aware, is illegal for public CCTV to do (at least in Canada).

Lastly, I use TOR regularly. Not 100% a guarantee but under all circumstances but it works well enough and I constantly encourage others to use it... until the NSA or whomever cracks it. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Strazdas:

GPS locators are easy placed in those. you can get quickly arrested for shooting at private property that isnt yours. Robbing somones house also results in free books, but its not something you want to do.

Im sure they are less loud than actual jets taking off, and people still live near airports.

In total seriousness, if it's below 500 feet and over my land without permission, I am completely allowed to shoot unmanned aircraft down, they're trespassing. It's not theft if someone/thing illegally enters my property and dumps whatever they're carrying when I stop them, although I probably (definitely) have to hand whatever they drop over to the police. It's the same law that means I can tow and crush somebody's car if I catch them doing donuts in a field I own, it's brilliant.

As for the noise, quad copters are absurdly loud, even small ones. One big enough to carry a kilogram of shopping is going to be even louder, north of a hundred decibels if you're directly below it. Commercial jets are at least a mile away from anyone's house when they throttle up for take off and with a very few exceptions well above a thousand feet by the time they're over anyone's houses. A group of these little quadcopters going by will be like someone flying an army of the loudest bees you've ever heard over your home.

So military drones are illegal then right? Meh, probably not, the army gets all the cool toys.

But at least there is hope, just need to adjust the law a little bit. I hope they hurry this bullshit up a lot, I want my stuff delivered by drones dammit!

Strazdas:

PunkRex:

thats strange logic. "What if somone robs a cargo truck? lets ban cargo trucks".

It just seems a little easier to get away with is all but you have a good point.

fix-the-spade:

In total seriousness, if it's below 500 feet and over my land without permission, I am completely allowed to shoot unmanned aircraft down, they're trespassing. It's not theft if someone/thing illegally enters my property and dumps whatever they're carrying when I stop them, although I probably (definitely) have to hand whatever they drop over to the police. It's the same law that means I can tow and crush somebody's car if I catch them doing donuts in a field I own, it's brilliant.

As for the noise, quad copters are absurdly loud, even small ones. One big enough to carry a kilogram of shopping is going to be even louder, north of a hundred decibels if you're directly below it. Commercial jets are at least a mile away from anyone's house when they throttle up for take off and with a very few exceptions well above a thousand feet by the time they're over anyone's houses. A group of these little quadcopters going by will be like someone flying an army of the loudest bees you've ever heard over your home.

If a mailman enters your property to bring you mail and you shoot him, taking his wallet is still theft. and the sheer lunacy of having laws where you are allowed to shoot anytyhing entering your properly already shows how badly the laws need changing.

commercial jets are above 130 decibels, so much much louder. thought i didnt expect these to be 100 decibels, thats pretty loud i agree. what we need now is silent antigravitation chopters!

Valderis:
So military drones are illegal then right? Meh, probably not, the army gets all the cool toys.

Dont you know, laws only apply to civilians, not to govenrment.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here