World of Warcraft's Playable Human Models Get a Full Redesign

World of Warcraft's Playable Human Models Get a Full Redesign

World of Warcraft's humans now look decidedly more human.

One of the bigger changes coming with the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion pack, Warlords of Dreanor, is a revamp of the original eight playable character models, bringing them more into line with the Goblins, Worgen and Pandaren that were released later on in the game's life-cycle. We've seen new models for the Orc, Gnome, Dwarf, Undead, Tauren and Night Elf and now its time for the Humans of Warcraft to become a little more, well, human.

"As with the previous model redesigns, our goal here was to honor the silhouette and style of the original, while increasing fidelity and fixing some of the big issues we'd identified," said Chris Robinson, World of Warcraft's art director in a blog post

"The male Human has long been a source of criticism from some of you for his odd proportions and face geometry. We've taken great care to ensure we're not changing so much that he looks completely unlike anything you'd expect, while also correcting some of the more glaring problems. We hope you enjoy the results!"

Furthermore, Robinson said that the Human male, along with some of the other updated player models, should be hitting the Warlords of Dreanor alpha test server some time in the near future.

Source: Blizzard

Honestly they do look a lot better, especially the face.
Those nipples though...They are quite big, much more realistic, kinda creepy.

They definitely look better. Still also look like they downed some steroids. :P

They needed to do this 5 years ago. More than any other race the humans looked abysmal in WoW.
And yay pepperoni nipples!

At least he doesn't look as pin-headed. But he still looks like he's took way to many 'roids. Looks like in Warlords of Draenor I might actually create a Male Human for the first time since TBC.

How can his forearms possibly be bigger than his biceps? I'm guessing he must do a certain arm movement, like, A LOT.

This article also forgot to mention the redesign for female Draenei. It's also not only the original 8 playable races getting new designs it's the 2 from the Burning Crusade expansion.

All of the new designs have been amazing so far, and WoD seems to be bringing some much needed changes to not only the way classes are played, but to the game itself.

Default humans should have dark eyes, not glass marbles for eyes.

So human scholars and priests still have to be body builders? Certainly seems that way. The main reason to why my best friend, who was pretty devoted to the game, switched factions to horde was that he wanted a mage with a believable body. This is frankly ridicolous and downright bizarre.

Angelowl:
So human scholars and priests still have to be body builders? Certainly seems that way. The main reason to why my best friend, who was pretty devoted to the game, switched factions to horde was that he wanted a mage with a believable body. This is frankly ridicolous and downright bizarre.

Hey now, just because I spent years studying the arcane doesn't mean I couldn't put a few hours into the gym. Smash out some essays, smash out some faces, you know?

OP: ...There is goku hair in the second picture. These designs have all been pretty sweet so far, but damn do I kinda hope that hair is a legit choice for when these go live.

Shamanic Rhythm:
How can his forearms possibly be bigger than his biceps? I'm guessing he must do a certain arm movement, like, A LOT.

A real swordsman would have huge forearms like that.

Still too buff. Why can't I play a dude without having to be a cleric or mage who looks like he can bench press an elephant?

They look better, but what the fuck is up with those nipples? Ewwwww.

Uhm... yeah... seriously Blizzard... you're patting yourself on the back about the new models? Models that will be completely covered by garrish armor combinations anyway?

Shanicus:

OP: ...There is goku hair in the second picture. These designs have all been pretty sweet so far, but damn do I kinda hope that hair is a legit choice for when these go live.

That hair has been available to the humans for ages.

OT: Certainly looks a lot better, I just wish they'd get round to showing off the male Troll models already.

My honest opinion, the models still look like crap. I could just be spoiled now on Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, but I took a peak at a site that is showing off all the remade models, and something about their faces, mostly their eyes, make them look like soulless automatons, mixed with something else I just can't put my fingers on. Something about them definitely screams ugly and lifeless. While models in ARR:

http://i.imgur.com/p3yW3qX.png

Look alive and amazing to me. I'm glad I went to of went to ARR, I could never return to WoW, and nor would I. Blizzard has obliterated the lore, destroyed gameplay by saying "Who cares about playing our game. Give us $60 and we will let you beat the game in 1 click!", and now, to me at least, characters will be destroyed.

Nilanius:
My honest opinion, the models still look like crap. I could just be spoiled now on Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, but I took a peak at a site that is showing off all the remade models, and something about their faces, mostly their eyes, make them look like soulless automatons, mixed with something else I just can't put my fingers on. Something about them definitely screams ugly and lifeless. While models in ARR:

http://i.imgur.com/p3yW3qX.png

You mean the models of a 10 year old game aren't as good as the models from a game that came out last year?

Say it ain't so!!!

Good news for me, I play a human for the racial Diplomacy bonus, not out of any real love for the race, but even so a texture update is always welcome.

Dear me. Neat textures, but the model just looks like such a pillock. As if the steroid abuse have crushed his brain in or something. But still, won't look a gift update in the mouth too much.

(I still dread to think what they'll do to the tauren lassies, though...)

BigTuk:
Uhm... yeah... seriously Blizzard... you're patting yourself on the back about the new models? Models that will be completely covered by garrish armor combinations anyway?

Well, the garrishness has been slightly brought down with transmogification (in effect, you can replace the model of an armour piece with a different one of the same type, keeping the stats but changing the appearance). It's alot easier to avoid the clowngear look. Even if the solution hilariously highlight the problem in itself, and was about half a decade late.

SecondPrize:
Still too buff. Why can't I play a dude without having to be a cleric or mage who looks like he can bench press an elephant?

I imagine both the clergy and the minsoc have their apprenticies on a very strict training regime. Carrying churchbells and book stacks from morning to sundown. Perhaps they know only too well how much loot hauling and running away their students will have to do in the future?

Training dwarves can't be too difficult, though. Just a speeding minecart loaded with beer they have to catch up.

Looks better, but geez, those freakin gorilla arms are a bit too much.

Eh, it's fantasy. Still, you couldn't justify those roid-muscles with something like "they grew up on a farm or doing traning", especially if you're a mage, and natural muscles don't get that big without bodybuilding or something.

Still, this looks much, much better.

These model updates are a pretty big deal. The animations and look of the new models is a huge leap for the game. In case anyone is wondering, here's a side by side comparison of my two main characters before and after the Model updates.
The armor my Warlock is wearing is all Burning Crusade and Vanilla transmogs which is why the texture on those is such a low resolution.

And my Monk is all MoP gear except the sword which is also a Burning Crusade transmog.

Muspelheim:
Dear me. Neat textures, but the model just looks like such a pillock. As if the steroid abuse have crushed his brain in or something. But still, won't look a gift update in the mouth too much.

(I still dread to think what they'll do to the tauren lassies, though...)

BigTuk:

Well, the garrishness has been slightly brought down with transmogification (in effect, you can replace the model of an armour piece with a different one of the same type, keeping the stats but changing the appearance). It's alot easier to avoid the clowngear look. Even if the solution hilariously highlight the problem in itself, and was about half a decade late.

SecondPrize:

I imagine both the clergy and the minsoc have their apprenticies on a very strict training regime. Carrying churchbells and book stacks from morning to sundown. Perhaps they know only too well how much loot hauling and running away their students will have to do in the future?

Training dwarves can't be too difficult, though. Just a speeding minecart loaded with beer they have to catch up.

Oh I';m aware of transmog which in itself was a lazy solution to another problem in WoW... beyond a certain level everyone has the same gear for their given class/role.

I'd be more excited if Blizzard had done anything to improve the depth of play, but basically it's just the same as before with slightly higher numbers.

OK I want to know, who in the meeting came up with "what this game needs is more hairy man nipples!"?

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Shanicus:

That hair has been available to the humans for ages.

OT: Certainly looks a lot better, I just wish they'd get round to showing off the male Troll models already.

Well, teaches me to visit the barbershop more than once per character.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here