Pacific Rim 2 Has A Release Date

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pacific Rim 2 Has A Release Date

Director Guillermo del Toro announces the release date for Pacific Rim 2 is April 7, 2017.

We have a date for the sequel to 2013's Kaiju-Jaeger Toro flick. Director Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Pictures have just confirmed that Pacific Rim 2 is set to release on April 7, 2017.

That's right, three years from now!

Story writer for The Avengers and co-writer of the X-Men: The Last Stand script Zak Penn will be writing the script for the sequel. Travis Beacham, the original screenwriter for Pacific Rim, will also be assisting Penn and Toro expand the lore.

In between now and the sequel, there will also be a Pacific Rim animated series released. Toro makes his announcement from Toronto, Canada as he's finishing up Crimson Peek.

Source: BuzzFeed

O gosh hopefully its better than the first, I was actually embarrassed to drag friends to see the first. Terrible terrible movie, so many plot holes, weirdly cliche, and special effects that looked like it was trying to hide by putting everything in water.

I hope video games never get to this point. I don't care if your movie has an exact release date or not if it's two years away. Not that it's harmful to us consumers, but I can't imagine having a strict release date two years in advance can do much good for the production of the film. Can't say I'm not happy about getting a Pacific Rim sequel, but really apart from being a sure thing, I don't think the exact release date is really news to get excited about.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I hope video games never get to this point. I don't care if your movie has an exact release date or not if it's two years away. Not that it's harmful to us consumers, but I can't imagine having a strict release date two years in advance can do much good for the production of the film. Can't say I'm not happy about getting a Pacific Rim sequel, but really apart from being a sure thing, I don't think the exact release date is really news to get excited about.

It's less for the release date and more confirmation that yes, this is indeed happening. Also, that animated series.

I for one am extremely happy that this has been announced. Pacific Rim was one of the best movies that came out that year, and a sequel is something I can more than get behind.

im sure he will drag the second one in the mud. sounds good to me and im looking forward to it .

I am of two minds...

"Yay, more Pacific Rim!"

but,

"Hollywood, let the man making a freaking Cthulhu movie!!!!!"

I'm torn. On the one hand, Pacific Rim was an awesome movie. On the other hand, it was pretty decisively a one off thing. How are they going to continue the story?

crimson5pheonix:
I'm torn. On the one hand, Pacific Rim was an awesome movie. On the other hand, it was pretty decisively a one off thing. How are they going to continue the story?

Easy,new aliens to kill with the giant robots.

Daemascus:

crimson5pheonix:

Or giant robots vs. giant robots.

Didn't really think we were gonna start killing each other with tanks and guns again just cause the kaiju were gone did you?

Daemascus:

crimson5pheonix:

That seems silly.

StewShearer:

Daemascus:

crimson5pheonix:

Or giant robots vs. giant robots.

Didn't really think we were gonna start killing each other with tanks and guns again just cause the kaiju were gone did you?

That seems funny. I like funny.

crimson5pheonix:

by having the aliens open up a new portal. it's not like they killed off ALL the aliens, most likely they only killed off what amounts to a city not an entire planet or species.

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

by having the aliens open up a new portal. it's not like they killed off ALL the aliens, most likely they only killed off what amounts to a city not an entire planet or species.

But that's silly. Most of the drama came from the shakiness of their plan, they know what to do now if it happens again.

crimson5pheonix:

Well the story ended sure, but we only saw the end of the war, there were plenty of other battles and who says it has to follow Gypsy Danger? :D

Same with the new movie, it doesn't have to be a direct follow on.

Rellik San:

crimson5pheonix:

Well the story ended sure, but we only saw the end of the war, there were plenty of other battles and who says it has to follow Gypsy Danger? :D

Quillermo Del Toro already said that the films will only focus on Gypsy Danger.

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

But that's silly. Most of the drama came from the shakiness of their plan, they know what to do now if it happens again.

yes and no, they could always come back with a stronger force, and a more advanced portal system.

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

yes and no, they could always come back with a stronger force, and a more advanced portal system.

If they go that direction it will come off as contrived no matter what they do.

crimson5pheonix:

Daemascus:

crimson5pheonix:

That seems silly.

That's basically how Kaiju movies go. It would be dishonorable to break the tradition by not having a stupid new threat.

Ftaghn To You Too:

crimson5pheonix:

Daemascus:

That seems silly.

That's basically how Kaiju movies go. It would be dishonorable to break the tradition by not having a stupid new threat.

I will only accept it if the movie becomes self aware of that at one point.

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

it was explained in the very beginning about the portal, and at the end, all they did was destroy that ONE portal. what makes you think that they can't make a new portal? and why would it be contrived? to me it's pretty simple, we beat them, now they want revenge, and will build a new more stable portal to get back at us, one that can't be closed as easily and is able to detect when something is riding on the back of a Kaiju that should be there.

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

it was explained in the very beginning about the portal, and at the end, all they did was destroy that ONE portal. what makes you think that they can't make a new portal? and why would it be contrived? to me it's pretty simple, we beat them, now they want revenge, and will build a new more stable portal to get back at us, one that can't be closed as easily and is able to detect when something is riding on the back of a Kaiju that should be there.

But it creates the question "why didn't they do that in the first place?" It was established that these beings have been aware of Earth alone for millions of years, and they probably have been doing this for billions. They only just now made their portal that selective? I wouldn't buy it. It'd just stick out at me as "because the plot demands it".

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

But it creates the question "why didn't they do that in the first place?" It was established that these beings have been aware of Earth alone for millions of years, and they probably have been doing this for billions. They only just now made their portal that selective? I wouldn't buy it. It'd just stick out at me as "because the plot demands it".

i think it's because no one before has ever fought back and succeeded before then. even if it stick out as "because the plot demands it" i'd rather have that than the any other alternative.

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

i think it's because no one before has ever fought back and succeeded before then. even if it stick out as "because the plot demands it" i'd rather have that than the any other alternative.

I don't know, human warfare being changed by the advent of Jaegers and the sudden loss of an external threat sounds like an interesting plot. I could maybe deal with a different external threat. But just "we could have made this better millennia ago but we came down with a collective case of the fuckits" isn't very interesting.

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

I don't know, human warfare being changed by the advent of Jaegers and the sudden loss of an external threat sounds like an interesting plot. I could maybe deal with a different external threat. But just "we could have made this better millennia ago but we came down with a collective case of the fuckits" isn't very interesting.

if it means more Kaiju vs Mechs, then i would be down with any excuse to bring them back.

Sweet! I don't care about warfare technicalities. I'm not an army-ho or gun-ho. I want to see a good sci-fi premise, some creative monster and robot design, and the great, great cinematography and direction of Guillermo del Toro! I'm in!

crimson5pheonix:

I've had three ideas about that.

1. Rock'em Sock'em Robots (nations of the world use Jaegers in WWIII)
2. The Makers make smaller portals all around the Earth in increasingly rapid succession like the first movie's stability monster send through thingy premise and send smaller monsters through for the world to deal with. Jaegers would have to scale down to Gundam size or smaller to fight them.
3. Earth takes the fight to the Makers by creating our very own portal network.

OT: Well, hopefully this works out. The first movie wasn't exactly high art but it knew itself well enough to be a fun ride.
Hopefully the sequel/s keep that in mind.

Screw the sequel, it's the Animated Series I'm interested in hearing about. The film was practically made to be in animation. So long as they don't turn it into an anime and keep a unique visual flair, I am really interested in where they could take a television series.

crimson5pheonix:

I think the official word is that the aliens weren't all killed, just this particular attack group and batch of kaiju.

I'm looking forward to this. ...if only I didn't have to look so far ahead!

FalloutJack:

crimson5pheonix:

I think the official word is that the aliens weren't all killed, just this particular attack group and batch of kaiju.

:( If that happens I will be sad.

Wait...

Keiichi Morisato:

Rellik San:

crimson5pheonix:

But they blew up the Gypsy Danger! With a nuke!

crimson5pheonix:

Rather, it WAS the nuke. But like...it's still a machine. They have the blueprints. Presumably, they'd get more funding for, you know, saving the world. Still, it was just something I heard, in regards to the aliens. I don't know if it's true. Wouldn't bother me, though.

FalloutJack:

crimson5pheonix:

Rather, it WAS the nuke. But like...it's still a machine. They have the blueprints. Presumably, they'd get more funding for, you know, saving the world. Still, it was just something I heard, in regards to the aliens. I don't know if it's true. Wouldn't bother me, though.

They also moved on several generations after that. The Striker Eureka was mechanically superior to the Gypsy Danger.

crimson5pheonix:

FalloutJack:

crimson5pheonix:

Wait...

Keiichi Morisato:

Rellik San:

um... Del Toro already stated that there will be a Gypsy Danger 2.0.

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

FalloutJack:

Wait...

Keiichi Morisato:

But again, why? It was an old design in the first movie. What would be the logic behind recreating it when they already make better Jaegers?

Soviet Heavy:
Screw the sequel, it's the Animated Series I'm interested in hearing about. The film was practically made to be in animation. So long as they don't turn it into an anime and keep a unique visual flair, I am really interested in where they could take a television series.

honestly... i kinda hope it does turn into an anime, at least we would know that it would be good, as i wouldn't trust any western studio to work on the show. western animation houses aren't used to creating shows that aren't episodic, and with characters and story to get invested in. usually in western cartoons, each episode is self contained and with no character development of any kind. though i do hope they keep to the film's visual flare as well. the last cartoon that i watched that was actually worth getting invested in was Avatar: The Last Air Bender, and they haven't been doing too good with the sequel series The Legend of Korra from what i have been hearing around the net.

crimson5pheonix:

FalloutJack:

crimson5pheonix:

They also moved on several generations after that. The Striker Eureka was mechanically superior to the Gypsy Danger.

It's simple. You rebuild the bot that delivered, with updates. You take successful designs and you improve upon them. Means you don't have to waste time with constant new designs that...that...oh god. It's like the fucking Kaiju!

crimson5pheonix:

Keiichi Morisato:

crimson5pheonix:

Wait...

But again, why? It was an old design in the first movie. What would be the logic behind recreating it when they already make better Jaegers?

first of all, if they try to go digital instead of analog again, an EMP blast will take out the Jeager instantly, just like in the film with the austrailian pilots. second i DID say 2.0, it would pretty much the same basic design, but changed here and there to update the mech, with things like new weapons, better nuclear reactor installed, etc. there is a lot that they could do that would improve upon the Jeager's overall design and performance.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here