Satoru Iwata Re-Elected as Nintendo President

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Satoru Iwata Re-Elected as Nintendo President

iwata

Iwata, Miyamoto, and others will retain their respective positions at Nintendo for now.

At Nintendo's annual shareholder meeting, president Satoru Iwata was re-elected as the company's president by the board of directors. Other top-level executives, such as Shigeru Miyamoto, also retained their respective positions. The news should come as a relief to Iwata, who was actually unable to attend the meeting himself due to some health issues that have plagued him since E3.

There were concerns that Iwata might lose his position this year, as his approval rating has been steadily declining from its all time high of 92.9% in 2011, down to just 77.3% last year.

Nintendo also posted record losses for the last financial year, and Iwata has repeatedly apologized for several missteps made by the company, going so far as to give himself a 50% pay cut as a result.

However, a very strong E3 presence, combined with very strong Mario Kart 8 sales, may have been just the push the shareholders needed to regain their confidence in Iwata.

Source: Nintendo Japan via Polygon

Good. If anything, that routine he did with Reggie showed that he was the kind of guy who still likes to have fun...and that's the kind of person you WANT in charge of a company that specializes in the production of games.

Though actually he was re-elected to the BOARD as shown in that document. It doesn't mention anything about re-election as president. I'm beginning to think the threat of being de-throned from President was just something journalists made up to make things sounds more exciting for Nintendo. Probably due to it not being possible legally due to how Japanese corporate structure works.

"There were concerns that Iwata might lose his position this year, as his approval rating has been steadily declining from its all time high of 92.9% in 2011, down to just 77.3% last year."

An approval rating of JUST 77.3%?

Politicians would kill for that sort of rating, the Republicans have an approval rating of less then 30 (according to Pew) and they expect to make big gains in this years election, it's not really all that small a rating is it?

Darkong:
"There were concerns that Iwata might lose his position this year, as his approval rating has been steadily declining from its all time high of 92.9% in 2011, down to just 77.3% last year."

An approval rating of JUST 77.3%?

Politicians would kill for that sort of rating, the Republicans have an approval rating of less then 30 (according to Pew) and they expect to make big gains in this years election, it's not really all that small a rating is it?

Let's have some perspective here. We're comparing 70% approval among perhaps a few hundred shareholders (assuming that's where the approval rating is coming from, otherwise if we're talking the board of directors, then it's exactly ten people) vs 30% out of over three hundred million people in the US (before factoring eligible voters and the 57% turnout in the last two elections).

This will displease Michael Pachter.
I'm ambivalent.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but a new CEO might actually be willing to pull the plug on the WiiU and let Nintendo focus solely on the 3DS.

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but a new CEO might actually be willing to pull the plug on the WiiU and let Nintendo focus solely on the 3DS.

True, but since the WiiU achieved a positively METAL sales increase of 666% when the new Mario Kart got released... maybe it's not time to pull the plug on life support just yet?

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.

But the primary problem with the Wii U is/was the lack of games. A problem that is finally starting to be corrected and should be rectified in 2015. Dropping the console right now to focus on a handheld that is entering the last few years of its life wouldn't be a particularly smart move. Besides, they are still showing a heavy focus on the 3DS with its many third party titles as well as Pokemon and Codename S.T.E.A.M for first party titles. I'm really not seeing the advantages of pulling the plug on the Wii U right now.

I don't know if I have the same confidence in Iwata that Nintendo's shateholder's do. Then again, I suppose it's not fair to place all of Nindento's recent blunders at the feet of Iwata.

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.

So you honestly believe that pulling the plug on the WiiU and giving a huge fuck you to the ~8-9 million of your most faithful consumer is a good idea? You know what that would mean to Nintendo? People buy a Nintendo product because they know they will get Nintendo games on it. Pulling the plug of a console that is barely 2 years in would be suicide. People would lose faith in Nintendo and not buy future products because who guarantees them that he next product won't have the same thing happen to it if it's not successful, which in turn will make that product less successful. People will wait rather than buy to not live trough the same faith as the poor fans that got the WiiU.

Darkong:

Except this isn't the US, it's not the general public, and it's not the political scene.

Different rules apply.

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.

That it displeases Pachter makes me happy.

Of course, I'm relatively ambivalent with regards to Nintendo, so I care more about this annoying an idiot than I do about the long-term success of Nintendo. And this does have the potential to have long-term, negative effects.

But hey, Iwata's almost as much a mascot as Pikachu or Mario. I doubt he's going anywhere for a while.

canadamus_prime:
I don't know if I have the same confidence in Iwata that Nintendo's shateholder's do. Then again, I suppose it's not fair to place all of Nindento's recent blunders at the feet of Iwata.

It's been suggested that the recent sales of Mario Kart and it moving consoles may have factored heavily in here. And I don't know if that's true, but it's certainly plausible.

An unproven, possibly short-term success may have negated any of the problems. Not, as you say, that they fall solely at his feet. And maybe the Wii U will turn around now, but I wouldn't exactly be spiking the ball just yet.

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

It's been suggested that the recent sales of Mario Kart and it moving consoles may have factored heavily in here. And I don't know if that's true, but it's certainly plausible.

An unproven, possibly short-term success may have negated any of the problems. Not, as you say, that they fall solely at his feet. And maybe the Wii U will turn around now, but I wouldn't exactly be spiking the ball just yet.

Yes it's nice to see the WiiU starting to rebound and whatever, but some of Nintendo's blunder's were pretty big blunders. Like that whole YouTube thing, that's almost EA levels of bad. Then again, the WiiU is the only NextGen console I actually bought and probably will buy so there ya go.

What the WiiU needs at the beginning of next year is a massively restructured marketing campaign, "This is really the only place you can play..." that sort of thing, hell modify Nintendon't to Nintendoes "Xbox and PS4 don't do 60fps, but Nintendoes." or "1080p gaming? Nintendoes that."

They need to go super hardcore and double down, push hard on Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors and bundle Splatoon to get people playing it and to make those who already have a WiiU buy it to play with friends. Nintendo can still do a valiant turn around this generation and a LOT of people are of the mind: "Well now there is this, this and this on WiiU and I have been wanting to try this and this, might as well grab one."

If Nintendo capitalise on that, they could see a marked increase in adoption rates.

Of course this all relies on Big N not having a butt fuck stupid marketing department.

Rellik San:
" or "1080p gaming? Nintendoes that."

Slight correction, if Nintendo were to advertise that then they'd be slapped with false advertising. The Wii U can't do 1080p native, or FullHD. It can upscale to 1080p, just like how the Xbox 360 and PS3 could, but it can't naturally do it.

OT: Well good, Nintendo's CEOs I think are fine where they are and are good standing image figures for the company. Now who does need to be fired? Why it's Nintendo's PR and marketing team who does because they've dropped the ball so hard it has fallen down 2 stories.

Neronium:

Rellik San:

Slight correction, if Nintendo were to advertise that then they'd be slapped with false advertising. The Wii U can't do 1080p native, or FullHD. It can upscale to 1080p, just like how the Xbox 360 and PS3 could, but it can't naturally do it.

Ah I wasn't aware of that, but regardless, I stand by my point, they need next year when all those games come out to launch a seriously aggressive marketing campaign.

So with the lack of any new blood and new ideas, Nintendo will continue to steer their company right into that iceberg.

Rellik San:

Neronium:

Rellik San:

Ah I wasn't aware of that, but regardless, I stand by my point, they need next year when all those games come out to launch a seriously aggressive marketing campaign.

So their only chance is to wade into a battlefield they are hilariously outclassed in? Yes, the sort of games that the WiiU is making allow them to hit 1080p 60FPS easily, much like the Ps3 was able to hit that back in 2008 with Wipeout HD. But the specs render them woefully outdated compared to the PS4 and Xbone, and if they try to claim they are capable of better visuals they'll be laughed out of the market.

As for trying to push their "hardcore" games, I doubt a single non die-hard is going to be fooled that Dynasty Warriors Zelda is anything other than Dynasty Warriors with skins slapped on, and thus about as worth playing as any Dynasty Warriors Extreme Alpha Legends Whatever, Bayonetta will continue to be played by a small group of people who need to see a therapist, and Splatoon will be treated with the respect a tech demo for a downloadable game like that deserves.

BiH-Kira:

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.

So you honestly believe that pulling the plug on the WiiU and giving a huge fuck you to the ~8-9 million of your most faithful consumer is a good idea? You know what that would mean to Nintendo? People buy a Nintendo product because they know they will get Nintendo games on it. Pulling the plug of a console that is barely 2 years in would be suicide. People would lose faith in Nintendo and not buy future products because who guarantees them that he next product won't have the same thing happen to it if it's not successful, which in turn will make that product less successful. People will wait rather than buy to not live trough the same faith as the poor fans that got the WiiU.

that is the situation I am in with the Vita. last E3 Sony pretty much gave the middle finger to everyone who previously purchased a Vita expecting lots of first party support. at E3 not a single first party Vita game was announced, and only a passing mention of Tales of Hearts R (thanks to GameStop for localizing/publishing the game when BandaiNamco wouldn't). honestly... I don't know if I will buy the next Sony handheld out of fear.

Toadfish1:

Rellik San:

Neronium:

So their only chance is to wade into a battlefield they are hilariously outclassed in? Yes, the sort of games that the WiiU is making allow them to hit 1080p 60FPS easily, much like the Ps3 was able to hit that back in 2008 with Wipeout HD. But the specs render them woefully outdated compared to the PS4 and Xbone, and if they try to claim they are capable of better visuals they'll be laughed out of the market.

As for trying to push their "hardcore" games, I doubt a single non die-hard is going to be fooled that Dynasty Warriors Zelda is anything other than Dynasty Warriors with skins slapped on, and thus about as worth playing as any Dynasty Warriors Extreme Alpha Legends Whatever, Bayonetta will continue to be played by a small group of people who need to see a therapist, and Splatoon will be treated with the respect a tech demo for a downloadable game like that deserves.

There is so much cynicism here I can't even begin to process it.

KazeAizen:

Toadfish1:

Rellik San:

I wasn't aware optimism could make 1 GB of RAM equal to 8 GB's of RAM.

BiH-Kira:

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.

First off, its 6 million, not nine. Nine would be a modest failure, not the shambling trainwreck that is the WiiU.

Second of all, by not acknowledging their mistakes and just getting rid of the WiiU, they're currently giving the finger to anyone who thinks that being up to date in hardware is a reasonable expectation for a console. They're telling everyone that when you buy a Nintendo console, now or in the future, that console will have fuck all third party support or impressive looking games, and be a Mario Machine, and not a cheap one either. THey are telling that to the marketan d pissing off people who listen and care. And that's the bigger market. Know how I know? Cause the WiiU has only sold six million consoles.

Toadfish1:
So with the lack of any new blood and new ideas, Nintendo will continue to steer their company right into that iceberg.

At which point they will carve right THROUGH the iceberg because the "new blood" recruits are off in the back playing with themselves while all the experienced personnel are doing their jobs. Y'know, seeing how pretty much every veteran designer over at Nintendo keeps coming up with new and exciting ideas regularly, whether they be long-established franchises or new ones, it made me realize that the term "new blood" has been reduced to nothing more than a meaningless buzz term in order to make something derivative seem more unique and interesting than it really is just because it has a brand new name slapped on the box. As Miyamoto and Nintendo have said before "a new franchise must be more than just a name." Most designers should start taking that to heart.

Toadfish1:

KazeAizen:

Toadfish1:

Its more of the second half of the statement. Still I'm trying to see why this is an issue and why people care about the specs.

Toadfish1:
Second of all, by not acknowledging their mistakes and just getting rid of the WiiU, they're currently giving the finger to anyone who thinks that being up to date in hardware is a reasonable expectation for a console. They're telling everyone that when you buy a Nintendo console, now or in the future, that console will have fuck all third party support or impressive looking games, and be a Mario Machine, and not a cheap one either. THey are telling that to the marketan d pissing off people who listen and care. And that's the bigger market. Know how I know? Cause the WiiU has only sold six million consoles.

I'm sorry, but that's the most blatant display of cynical stupidity I ever heard. The Wii U is waaaay past the point of no return to axe it (not to mention it's now breaking even; less reasons to drop it); pissing off your current userbase of 6 million (a fuckload of people if you can't be arsed to math) -which is EVERYTHING you have to rely on for now- just because you desperately want to get ahead of competition is a rather dumb as shit decision. If you don't believe me just look at Sega: that same nilly-willy idea you are having is what drove them to rapid-fire consoles until "hit the spot" is what killed them.

Second of all, by not acknowledging their mistakes and just getting rid of the WiiU, they're currently giving the finger to anyone who thinks that being up to date in hardware is a reasonable expectation for a console.

Why, yes, they are.
And they're RIGHT to do so
First because "Up to date in hardware" means the N64 and Game Cube, two very powerful consoles in their prime, which were crushed by less powerful, cheaper, competitors, while the "hardcore" crowd remorselessly followed the herd.
Then because "Up to date in hardware" means for Nintendo re-entering an arm race where they would be hopelessly outspent into bankruptcy and oblivion by much larger companies.
And on a more general scale, because:
"Up to date in hardware" means filling consoles with expensive components that guarantee that console video games are thrown in the sterile upper-class ghetto where PC gaming was trapped 15 years ago.
and also
"Up to date in hardware" means adding even more incentive for AAA devs to waste innumerable work hours and tons of cash trying to capitalize on the GPUs functions while neglecting things like level design, saturating the market with expensive bland games.

Toadfish1:

KazeAizen:

Toadfish1:

By that logic, those people who care about specs are playing on a PC with 64gigs of RAM and looking to upgrade to DDR4 later this year... after all I wasn't aware optimism could make 8gigs of ram equal to 64gigs of RAM. If specs were everything, then no console would see ever, when people can buy a better gaming PC for around the same price if they are reasonably smart about it.

The thing is, people don't really care about specs on consoles and those that do are just laughed at by the PC Master Race and rightfully so. Right now we have 2 consoles claiming to be more powerful but are so poorly optimised they can't manage consistent frame rates half the time and have almost nothing of value in terms of exclusives to offer at the moment.

Nintendo can maintain a solid frame rate and have built up a decent library of games for everyone, they need to push that aspect, not pushing the "hardcore" but pushing for everything, the self proclaimed "hardcore" are CoD playing morons, the real Hardcore game on PC, so obviously the "hardcore" isn't Nintendo's market, however... PC Gamers and people who want a console for family time are and heres why:
Of all the consoles Wii U offers PC Gamers experiences they literally can't get anywhere else, experiences there is nothing analogous too on their platform and people looking for a family entertainment system will eat up 4 play same/split screen co-op for fun.

Toadfish1:

Well it's about time they joined up with the rest of the gaming industry.

Rellik San:

Neronium:

Rellik San:

Wind Waker HD is native 1080p. At 30fps. Just saying. The art style helps immensely though.

Rellik San:

Toadfish1:

KazeAizen:

By that logic, those people who care about specs are playing on a PC with 64gigs of RAM and looking to upgrade to DDR4 later this year... after all I wasn't aware optimism could make 8gigs of ram equal to 64gigs of RAM. If specs were everything, then no console would see ever, when people can buy a better gaming PC for around the same price if they are reasonably smart about it.

The thing is, people don't really care about specs on consoles and those that do are just laughed at by the PC Master Race and rightfully so. Right now we have 2 consoles claiming to be more powerful but are so poorly optimised they can't manage consistent frame rates half the time and have almost nothing of value in terms of exclusives to offer at the moment.

Nintendo can maintain a solid frame rate and have built up a decent library of games for everyone, they need to push that aspect, not pushing the "hardcore" but pushing for everything, the self proclaimed "hardcore" are CoD playing morons, the real Hardcore game on PC, so obviously the "hardcore" isn't Nintendo's market, however... PC Gamers and people who want a console for family time are and heres why:
Of all the consoles Wii U offers PC Gamers experiences they literally can't get anywhere else, experiences there is nothing analogous too on their platform and people looking for a family entertainment system will eat up 4 play same/split screen co-op for fun.

Thank you, man from a place where money is infinite. However, people who actually are budget conscious feel that a $300 machine like the WiiU does nothing to justify itself compared to the $400 machines like the Ps4 and Xbox One.

Toadfish1:

Rellik San:

Toadfish1:

Thank you, man from a place where money is infinite. However, people who actually are budget conscious feel that a $300 machine like the WiiU does nothing to justify itself compared to the $400 machines like the Ps4 and Xbox One.

You can build a decent PC rig for $400 if you look in the right places. And you can get a refurbished Wii U for around $200 *snort*

Anyone remember how the PS2 was pretty much half as powerful as the X-box? Anyone remember how the PS2 got totally crushed in the market because the X-box was so much more powerful? No? That is because the PS2 dominated that generation, despite not being as powerful. I'm not saying the Wii U is gonna be some dynamite seller, but lets not try and bring specs in as some sort of perfect explanation as to why it's lost. Go back to the NES days. Specs have never been the deciding factor for console performance. The most powerful system in any given generation has never "won" that given generation. So can we please move beyond the whole specs jargon and actually take a real look at what is really causing the problems.

Randomosity:
Anyone remember how the PS2 was pretty much half as powerful as the X-box? Anyone remember how the PS2 got totally crushed in the market because the X-box was so much more powerful? No? That is because the PS2 dominated that generation, despite not being as powerful.

See there's one thing to also keep in mind though when came to the PS2 that many people seem to forget. The PS2 also served as a cheap DVD player in a time in which DVDs were still too expensive for people to get, along wit DVD players. That's the main reason why it dominated so much in Japan, because in Japan Sony sold it as a cheap DVD player that just so happened to play games. They tried the same thing with the PS3, but it didn't work out too well for that. Now I agree that the Wii U isn't gonna bomb because of it's specs. But when it comes to the least powerful console dominating, that's only happened 3 times. With the PS1, while it was a 32-bit system graphically, it had better storage than the N64 and Saturn, as well as a better sound chip. The PS2 had better disc space, and actually had more memory than the GameCube did, but the GameCube had a better CPU when compared to the PS2. What people need to do is not just see one technical aspect of the system before saying it was the "weaker" system between all of them because there are things that the weaker system does better than the supposed stronger one, and visa versa.

Randomosity:
Anyone remember how the PS2 was pretty much half as powerful as the X-box? Anyone remember how the PS2 got totally crushed in the market because the X-box was so much more powerful? No? That is because the PS2 dominated that generation, despite not being as powerful. I'm not saying the Wii U is gonna be some dynamite seller, but lets not try and bring specs in as some sort of perfect explanation as to why it's lost. Go back to the NES days. Specs have never been the deciding factor for console performance. The most powerful system in any given generation has never "won" that given generation. So can we please move beyond the whole specs jargon and actually take a real look at what is really causing the problems.

I would like to think this resurgence of obsessions over power is due to a lot of formerly PC-only devs hijacking the console scene and bragging about their beloved processors and CPUs and a lot of other crap nobody but the most obsessed people care about. Considering how many devs are in no hurry to upgrade to the PS4 or XB1 and how the first year of both of them has become typical glorified tech demo doldrums as well as not giving that supposed booster shot to the industry that they claimed, it's becoming abundantly clear that the call for new hardware was because the designers clearly can't pace themselves. They've already wasted billions in the last gen over useless BS, why should anyone trust them not to do the same? I think the entire industry really needs to examine itself lest we have a lesser version of '83 on our hands.

Nintendo is so weird. Its executives are also celebrities and charming personalities to boot, AND they're Japanese that are celebrities in America.

BiH-Kira:

Souplex:
I'm ambivalent.

Pulling the plug prematurely is exactly the kind of behavior that saw Sega out of the console hardware business. No, Nintendo needs to ride this one through, start pumping out some AMAZING games, learn something, and do better next time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here