Complaints Lead to Changes in FX's The Strain Billboards

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Complaints Lead to Changes in FX's The Strain Billboards

The Strain Billboard

FX replacing billboards for The Strain following numerous complaints.

The newest horror series coming to FX The Strain, created by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, has upset potential viewers. Billboards promoting the show has a close-up of a woman's eye with a worm coming out of it, which many find deeply disturbing.

BuzzFeed first reported on the outraged reaction some people are having to the billboards, with a few claiming they won't watch the show out of protest. A quick search of tweets relating to this issue express extreme concern for their children seeing the imagery.

A representative then reached out to BuzzFeed stating the network is "in the process of replacing the key art for The Strain on outdoor media in several locations."

The Strain will premiere on FX on July 13th at 10PM Eastern. The series is based on the novel trilogy of the same name, also created by del Toro.

Coincidentally, I was just discussing this very same billboard with my friends last night. While I'm able to stomach quite a bit, the billboard still manages to bother me a little, so I'd like to think FX somehow overheard our conversation and took action accordingly. That said, I can't wait for this show's premiere.

Source: BuzzFeed

Bleeergh. That's disgusting. They posted that over roads??? Glad they are changing them.

Personally I find it pretty cool, but I see it could potentially upset a lot of people and I don't blame them really. Looks interesting though, they won a potential viewer here :)

EDIT: Oh wow!, this is the imagery they're going for in this show!?, holy shit!, they DEFINITELY won a viewer here! :D

EDIT EDIT: Also the trailer looks pretty interesting too!.

Is that some form of metal implement piercing the eye? Or is it some kind of worm that is pulled out and continues down inside the cheek skin?

Either way it really is some quite disturbing imagery. Though I have to say that lately I have seen comparable stuff because some popular science sites like ifls have taken to display stuff like that in their side bars to click-bait (I just push the browser part with it out of the screen because it is quite distracting).
But having a bloodied eye depicted on a science site is still very different from having it on a giant public board.

It's pretty disgusting, but as soon as I see someone pull 'Won't anybody think of the chiiiiiiiildren?!?' I suddenly want them to be left up.

Oh well, publicity was achieved. I'm sure they expected this.

Isn't it hypocritical, though? It's okay to show on TV, but not okay on a billboard? This is going to be on the Internet like yesterday, so EVERYONE will see it anyway, especially kids. It's not gory, it's not sexualized, it's not anything negative. It's purely medical. I just dont see what's the problem.

I would usually be against such censorship but even I think that billboard is a bit much.

oldtaku:
It's pretty disgusting, but as soon as I see someone pull 'Won't anybody think of the chiiiiiiiildren?!?' I suddenly want them to be left up.

Oh well, publicity was achieved. I'm sure they expected this.

haha unfortunately I fall under the same opinion, anytime children is mentioned I want to feed them like a fat kid filled with horror and strong language.

This seems a bit much, especially if someone is driving by this billboard, I know I would do a double-take on it and look at if that was a worm or what exactly, which would be a odd distraction from driving.

Boycotting a show over a billboard? Yeah, that's not retarded at all.

People need to understand that marketing departments are rarely attached to the creative departments. You're blasting someone's hard work and they most likely have nothing to do with the ads in question.

Yikes, you don't fuck with eyes man. Eyes, fingernails and open fractures. Those get a nope from me. Boycotting the show is a little extreme, so many people often react too extreme, but yeah I get the complaints.

AJey:
Isn't it hypocritical, though? It's okay to show on TV, but not okay on a billboard?

Not exactly, as they're quite different media. You can prevent your child from seeing that sort of thing on TV, same with the internet. They're not perfectly controllable, but a lot easier than when you're driving on a motorway. In that case there's no possibility for control whatsoever, so yes I can understand the complaints surrounding this. To put this sort of thing in the open like this isn't the smartest thing to do.

You'd have to be an idiot to not expect that this would happen. Calculated publicity stunt, likely. They get show publicity and look like good guys for taking it down swiftly with no intervention from the owner of the billboard.

Yeah, I think that's a little much for a billboard, but not watching the show over it? You'd have to be a right old bellend.

Personally I'm fucking excited to see anything that Del Toro touches, it's always top-notch stuff.

rofltehcat:
Is that some form of metal implement piercing the eye? Or is it some kind of worm that is pulled out and continues down inside the cheek skin?

It's a worm-like creature that slithers into a host and changes them into vampires. They can pretty much dig into any part of the body, and it looks like FX isn't holding back on the graphic details.

OT: can't wait for the show~

Eugh, that's nasty. I'd be pretty pissed at seeing that on some billboard, too. It's fine if there's some gore/body horror in a show, but that doesn't mean you should shove it in everyone's face as they drive to work or whatever.

I don't really see the issue. Are people really that squeamish? Seems like everyone is being a bunch of big babies to me.

Took a while to make out it was a "worm", looked more like a bit of metal.
I'm against the censorship of course, but as the main objective is to drum up publicity I'd say they've been pretty clever.

I often feel that people who refer to children are the ones who are least in touch with their own. In this case, however, I agree. We are a captive audience when it comes to highway billboards. We cannot change the channel, we cannot turn them off, and we're NOT going to take a different route over a billboard. And an image like that is the kind that can scar a child for life. I, for one, am still haunted by the "He chose poorly" scene in The Last Crusade.

If they change them, I want it! Stick it on my wall or ceiling, be a nice "statement" piece.

I'm all for shock, horror, gore etc and I know why they did it, nothing creates great advertising like public outrage! But damn! A worm coming out of the bottom eye lid? People of a sensitive disposition would be in for a shock, cruising to work when you are suddenly confronted by a massive bloody eye with a worm in it, would make anybody choke on their morning coffee.

Hmmm, i wonder what people would think in countries where common medical reality includes worm parasites very similar to that. It would probably seem like some sort of Public Service Announcement.

MarsAtlas:
You'd have to be an idiot to not expect that this would happen. Calculated publicity stunt, likely. They get show publicity and look like good guys for taking it down swiftly with no intervention from the owner of the billboard.

My thought exactly.

Je-Tze:
Hmmm, i wonder what people would think in countries where common medical reality includes worm parasites very similar to that. It would probably seem like some sort of Public Service Announcement.

Would sorta be ruining the effect of real PSAs, I guess.

Esmeralda Portillo:

The newest horror series coming to FX The Strain, created by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, has upset potential viewers. Billboards promoting the show has a close-up of a woman's eye with a worm coming out of it, which many find deeply disturbing.

BuzzFeed first reported on the outraged reaction some people are having to the billboards, with a few claiming they won't watch the show out of protest. A quick search of tweets relating to this issue express extreme concern for their children seeing the imagery.

I can't help but think that these "potential viewers" who claim that they won't watch the show "because of the billboard" probably wouldn't have watched the show anyway. That said though, I can see how people might boycott the entire channel if they stayed up, so it probably is in their best interest to take them down anyway. All-in-all, I'm inclined to agree with the crowd that feels this was an intentional and calculated publicity stunt. Post some edgy billboards, get people (who wouldn't have watched the show anyway) in a huff, free advertising when popular news sites talk about the incident.

AJey:
Isn't it hypocritical, though? It's okay to show on TV, but not okay on a billboard? This is going to be on the Internet like yesterday, so EVERYONE will see it anyway, especially kids. It's not gory, it's not sexualized, it's not anything negative. It's purely medical. I just dont see what's the problem.

You have to actively go to a channel to watch a TV Show. Billboards are thrust upon you no matter what you do and don't want to see. Also, removing a worm through the eye is not a medical situation, and that aside, there are plenty of medical situations worse than this that would not belong in public.

OT: I don't mind it but I'm all for people having billboards changed if they don't like them. No-one asks for fucking billboards, might as well exercise what control we do have over them so we don't have to tolerate them every day if they make us feel uncomfortable. And it doesn't matter if people were going to watch the show or not, I suspect most 'boycotters' weren't, but they're not asking for the show to be changed, they're asking that they aren't forced to look at a worm being pulled out of someone's eye every day on their way to work.

Xyklos:
I don't really see the issue. Are people really that squeamish? Seems like everyone is being a bunch of big babies to me.

Everyone has their own tolerance levels.

SupahGamuh:
Personally I find it pretty cool, but I see it could potentially upset a lot of people and I don't blame them really. Looks interesting though, they won a potential viewer here :)

EDIT: Oh wow!, this is the imagery they're going for in this show!?, holy shit!, they DEFINITELY won a viewer here! :D

I think that photo may have come from an ad campaign for the first book, and not from the upcoming TV series, but yeah that's basically how the vampires are described in the book.

I mean, it IS a horror series so I would think that it's supposed to give you the heebie-jeebies

Too much for a public area? Debatable

Boycotting it? #uwotm8

MeChaNiZ3D:
Also, removing a worm through the eye is not a medical situation,

Actually, it is. 3rd world problems.

At least google some human parasites before making such a silly statement.

One such example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa_loa

AJey:

Difference is if its on TV you can avoid seeing it if it disturbs you and you have more control over whether your kids see it (they might see it anyway but they would have to actually look for it). A giant billboard is a bit hard to ignore. It's not that gory but parasites or anything involving damage to eyes are the sorts things people get very squeamish about. It's not uncommon to have little issue with most gore but be disturb by something like that. I don't really think it needs to be taken down but I get why some people would have an issue.

SupahGamuh:

Eh I'm just trying to figure out how that thing actually eats anything with a mouth like that.

Whoever was in charge of giving that the go ahead should have seen this coming.

Spakka:

MeChaNiZ3D:
Also, removing a worm through the eye is not a medical situation,

Actually, it is. 3rd world problems.

At least google some human parasites before making such a silly statement.

One such example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa_loa

Fair call.

BoogieManFL:
Whoever was in charge of giving that the go ahead should have seen this coming.

Maybe they couldn't because they had something in their eye....

...I feel dirty for saying that.

I'd like to thank FX for giving me this wonderful warning of what not to watch. That's horrifying.

I had to cover the image with notepad to read the article.

In regards to the actual show, it seems like Del Toro is dipping his feet into that Lovecraft stuff he's always wanted to make. Specifically a film adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness.

AJey:

You don't have to turn on the TV and watch it, but you may have no choice in driving down a certain road every day. I don't think it's hypocritical at all to demand that disturbing imagery be avoidable.

Also, they're pulling a worm out of a woman's eye to advertise a horror TV show. That's not medical at all, that's gory.

EDIT: Of COURSE people are bringing up censorship, showing that they have absolutely no handle on what censorship even is.

People: It's not censorship in any way, shape or form. No one is forcing them to do anything, people are just complaining and saying that the billboards upset them an are turning them off of the show, and the producers/marketing team is changing the billboards accordingly.

You know... paying attention to customer demands and "the customer is always right" and that sort of thing that's always being touted around these parts - until it affects you badly. Double-standard-holding hypocrites...

I find it kinda funny how some people said "we're not going to watch it in protest" when basically those complaining might not have been thought of watching the show in the first place, and those saying "think of the children" probably don't even bother setting up child-safety stuff on their TVs.

But fuck worms though, I fucking hate worms.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here