Cliff Bleszinski Announces Return to Video Game Development

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Cliff Bleszinski Announces Return to Video Game Development

CliffyB is back, but don't call it a comeback.

It looks like Cliff Bleszinski's extended vacation from video game development is finally coming to an end. Today, the Gears of War designer announced his return to the industry by quoting one of the 20th century's most revered poets: LL Cool J.

CliffyB stepped away from gaming back in 2012, but he's managed to stay in the spotlight. Last year, after Phil Fish famously pulled the plug on Fez 2 and disappeared from public life, Bleszinski wrote an impassioned plea for Fish to return to game development. And earlier this year, he rapped about Pokemon in this Starbomb video.

Bleszinski's announcement isn't exactly surprising, though. Last August, he started posting screen shots of a mystery game codenamed Silverstreak. We don't know much about the project, but now that he is officially unretired, we might actually get a glimpse of what Cliff Bleszinski is up to.

In the mean time, check out the screen shots from Bleszinski's mystery game in the gallery below.

Source: Twitter

And I care why? Why does this guy act like he's a rock star all the time? Also, I think Gears of War sucks.

Gears of Awesome, BRO GRAAAAHHHH-

... what?

Yeah, I like Gears, so sue me :>

Nowhere Man:
And I care why? Why does this guy act like he's a rock star all the time? Also, I think Gears of War sucks.

I know, right? I like the guy's Rocker attitude, but given his track record for games, it's tough to really like him. I don't like the gears series either. I'll acknowledge the trailer for the original was good, and the Lancer looks cool, but that's about it.

Sorry Cliff, you simply aren't relevant anymore in the industry.

Nowhere Man:

Seconded; it also doesn't help that during his hiatus he came off as a constant attention whore, latching onto any news story he could find as if to remind people he was alive lest everyone move on and leave him to the sands of time like all the other fleeting wonders who have used up their fifteen minutes.

Looking at those screens....this project looks pretty schizophrenic. What exactly is going on? Giant basketball modern warfare 2012 the last of us watchdogs?

Forget it, I no longer care about this dude. Yeah, Gears was fun for a few weeks, but you've out tweeted your welcome now.

That was fast, I barely remember he even "retired" from the industry.

Wait, he was on hiatus? Why? Did he just decide making games is too much work? What made him come back? Does anyone know? Why should I care?

Jim Sterling will be happy about this news.

*ahem* THERE IS NO GOD! *ahem*, sorry.

THQ went bust before DoW3 could be finished, there'll never be another Legacy of Kain game (not Nosgoth) and this muppet thinks he's the second coming. Brilliant...

His royalties on chest-high walls must've dried up.

Well, Im happy. I didnt enjoy GoW but its one more person producing games, creating more titles, helping increase options and inspiring a bit more competition among upcoming titles.

Sure, you may not like him but at the end of the day its another game coming out which could be amazing. We've really not seen enough to start lighting the torches and fetching the pitchforks yet.

Cliffy B sure has a huge ego, and this recent "I'm gonna quit making games, LOLNOI'M BACK!" fad a lot of people are having is getting annoying, but he's still one of the more influential people in this industry. I hate his work, I hate his personality, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want him to keep going.

Can we get a Kickstopper going to prevent this happening?

People really do give Cliff too much shit, I've listened to him enough times on podcasts and whatnot to know he's a genuinely awesome dood. Glad to know he's got some cool stuff in the works again.

Also Gears 1 and 3 were freaking great. People always steriotyped the series as the poster child for doodbro shooters yet ironically they were more a parody of that than anything else.

so ? blue peter badge for him then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w

There sure are a lot of people in this thread commenting on how much they don't care. I'd suggest if they truly didn't care, they wouldn't be posting at all.

I'm kind of glad. Gone are the days of knowing who is actually making your game. I think we need to put a face back on to those 'faceless' corporations.

I think more people care about Guy-Who-Made-Flappy-Bird coming back to the industry than CliffyB. Maybe they'll team up and make Flappy Bro?

Does that mean he will stop posting on his blog and his twitter?

That's potentially good.

LazyAza:
People really do give Cliff too much shit

Thats actually just here, I dont know why but the Escapist community fucking hates Cliff Bleszinski. Maybe Gears of War is too bro for them.

Nowhere Man:

Agreed, this bloke should get no attention, he's attitudes of gaming and gamers is disgusting, I was glad to be rid of him.

LazyAza:
People really do give Cliff too much shit, I've listened to him enough times on podcasts and whatnot to know he's a genuinely awesome dood. Glad to know he's got some cool stuff in the works again.

Also Gears 1 and 3 were freaking great. People always steriotyped the series as the poster child for doodbro shooters yet ironically they were more a parody of that than anything else.

He's pro DRM, anti PC gamer and just like Ubisoft considers all of us thrives who can't be trusted because a few dicks steal his games. Fuck him, I don't pay for a game to be treated like a criminal and have them stolen by the real criminals when they turn the servers off. He's a greedy selfish prick.

I care because this guy gets news articles written about him and his "influence" on the industry, and if people are listening to "Cliffy B" about how to make their games, then we have yet to reach the bottom of the barrel about just how shitty the industry is going to get before it crashes and just the genuinely impassioned artists (and it's fans) are left and all of this mass-market shit is dead and buried.

I like niche, and yes, I'm an elitist prick who wishes that "MY" industry would never have become as popular as it is. I'm okay with that, and I'm not offended when people call me that.

Go away Cliffy B, I'm not interested in ANYTHING you have to peddle and nor should anyone else!

ps : Gears of War was poo poo. There, I said it.

He's been here for years, rocking his peers and putting suckas in fear. Makin the tears rain down like a MON-soon, listen to the lancer go BOOM! Explosion, overpowerin, over the competition, he's towerin.

He's gonna knock you out, awwww Cliffy said knock you out.

Damn you Cliffy, I'm going to have that in my head all day.

Cliffy, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and acts like a duck. It's a duck, Cliffy.

Or in your case a Comeback.

ITT: Salt.

So. Much. Salt.

Come on, guys. Lighten up. It's an unretirement party, and you're all standing there muttering about how you don't like the drinks.

So, ignoring Cliff real quick, what the fuck am I looking at? What an eclectic mix of art. It's like Game: the game.

"In a world ruined by by alien reaper plant zombies, one NBA star must cross post apocalyptic America with his teenage ward while playing all the sports and also something something chest high walls."

Did he just throw darts at popular dude bro games and decide to throw them all together?

I just want to point out, to anyone who is disparaging of Gears of War, that Cliffy B is also responsible for a little game called Unreal Tournament. You can say that Cliffy B is not relevant anymore, and that's arguable. But it seems a bit unfair to dismiss as a "dudebro" just because of your impression of Gears of War, when that's not the only influential game he's made.

Fox12:
So, ignoring Cliff real quick, what the fuck am I looking at? What an eclectic mix of art. It's like Game: the game.

"In a world ruined by by alien reaper plant zombies, one NBA star must cross post apocalyptic America with his teenage ward while playing all the sports and also something something chest high walls."

Did he just throw darts at popular dude bro games and decide to throw them all together?

Maybe; for a second I was thinking that might be Suda 51 stuff, but Cliffy is far too boring of a designer to do that. If it were others we might get a humorous, satirical game poking fun at the state of the industry, but Cliffy would probably just play it straight without any sense of irony.

Well.

That's just sad. Looks like we'll have to get the can-opener jaws and conveniently placed chest-high-walls back out in preperation for the party.

But, seriously, who is this man and why is he making his own welcoming into an industry that doesn't care about him so warm? And I supposed to be annoyed. Because frankly, I only learned about him from someone ranting a few months ago.

I'm pretty sure everyone thought this was coming.

lacktheknack:

Come on, guys. Lighten up. It's an unretirement party, and you're all standing there muttering about how you don't like the drinks.

This has been the most recent awesome jab at complainers I've seen on the Internet. Good job sir.

Reminds me, on a server I used to play on, we had a forum thread titled "I'm leaving, Hey guys I'm back" for people who constantly "quit" to return 2 weeks later.

I mean, at least go away for five years if you're going to retire from gaming/rock and roll/acting/whatever

lacktheknack:
ITT: Salt.

So. Much. Salt.

Actually, they're muttering about drinks they had from the last party while glaring at the host.

And a lot of people here actually need to read what CB says before they start making overly simplistic statements about what he does and does not support.

(DISCLAIMER: CB used to act really young back in the day and even he admits it. I'm just talking about now.)

I... am not a fan... He has said some controversial things but his adversarial viewpoint toward consumer opinions about DRM and digital content, are not ideas that I like in this industry.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here