BREAKING: Community Will Return For Sixth Season

BREAKING: Community Will Return For Sixth Season

community

Now, light our Darkest Timeline...

For years, the cult-hit sitcom Community and it's creators have had as their tongue-in-cheek mantra "Six Seasons & a Movie!," and for five seasons shaky ratings and meddling network executives have seemingly conspired to make that prediction impossible - especially when the show was canceled, officially, at the end of Season 5.

Sony Pictures Television has announced that a 13-episode Season 6 will air on the Yahoo Screen streaming service this fall. Reached for comment, creator Dan Harmon stated: "I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!"

Originally launched as a wacky ensemble sitcom about a diverse group of misfits partnered in a Community College study group; Community quickly revealed itself as something much more bizarre and elaborate: Peppering it's narrative with sci-fi, comics, movies and other "geek culture" references and finally tipping its hand as a reality-bending franchise in its own right; complete with fantastical stories, alternate universes and elaborate metaphysical digressions that all (somehow) are actually supposed to have occured in the series' "canon."

At this time, there has been no confirmation as to how much of the cast or creative team from the most recent seasons will carry over into the new production. At least two of the original main cast, Chevy Chase and Donald Glover, departed before the initial cancellation. Harmon is also currently prepping the second season of his hit Adult Swim animated series Rick & Morty.

Source: THR

Yes yes yes yes YES! I hope Jonathan Banks and John Oliver will be able to come back as well, but I won't hold my breath since they're both really busy with their new shows. (Also Donald Glover, obviously) (Glover confirmed he won't be returning. Bummer.)
But either way, I'm sure it will be good, even with a reduced cast.

DirgeNovak:
Yes yes yes yes YES!

My thoughts exactly, I'm so happy they found a way! Chevy is gone for good I'm sure but would be so cool if Donald Glover was able to put a little screen time in (maybe he and LeVar Burton having Somali pirates shenanigans!). Whatever happens, I'm excited.

Captcha: Live Life

I will Captcha, I will indeed.

on the one hand WOOT on the other hand..... "air on the Yahoo Screen streaming service" great so theres no legitamate way i can watch it... yay for being australian

ROXAAAANE!

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT ON THE RED LIGHT!

Yes! The series lives on! >:D

Sigmund Av Volsung:
ROXAAAA

NO!

OT: I wasn't too impressed with series 4 and 5, but I would like and official closer to the show (other than the meteor.) I'm glad for the fans that they could get series number 6 but I wonder if they'll get 'the movie'?

I'm more hyped for the return of Rick and Morty (times 100!)

also: Yahoo Screen streaming service - what is this?

Darn, I was hoping the internet would learn a lesson or two about the importance of actually watching a show and supporting it in deed instead of just name.

Thanks Sony, you did something which will both please your viewership AND push back a fix to the system for another few years.

Nobody rolled the dice! This is the Prime Timeline!

If this is for real, hooray! Oh, thank you, Lawd! Hopefully this sixth one can undo some damage from the last one, like properly set up Chang as a villain instead of that last-minute reveal in the second-to-last episode.

Redflash:

DirgeNovak:
Yes yes yes yes YES!

My thoughts exactly, I'm so happy they found a way! Chevy is gone for good I'm sure but would be so cool if Donald Glover was able to put a little screen time in (maybe he and LeVar Burton having Somali pirates shenanigans!). Whatever happens, I'm excited.

Captcha: Live Life

I will Captcha, I will indeed.

Good memory! Let's have Troy and Abed back togeeeeeether!

Just one season at Yahoo and a movie on Kickstarter

It's good that Dan is back in the drivers seat. But no Troy and Pierce? That's kind of abig blow for the show in my eyes... Oh well. I can always rewatch season 1-3 and pretend the horrible 4th season never happened.

I will give this a chance though. Maybe it works.

Why do people care about Chevy? He was a diva that tried to ruin the show. That horrible fourth season would've been good if it wasn't because of Chevy.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

wait, yahoo? wow, getting a bit desperate there. ah, well, sometimes you just gotta roll with it

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This show was made by one of the guys who wrote Rick and Morty?

I better check it out.

RaikuFA:
Why do people care about Chevy? He was a diva that tried to ruin the show. That horrible fourth season would've been good if it wasn't because of Chevy.

mainly because that's exactly what pierce would do.

DirgeNovak:
Yes yes yes yes YES! I hope Jonathan Banks and John Oliver will be able to come back as well, but I won't hold my breath since they're both really busy with their new shows. (Also Donald Glover, obviously) (Glover confirmed he won't be returning. Bummer.)

Given Oliver had to just put his other webseries on hiatus until September just to get a handle on his schedule, I don't think he'll be able to join for anything short of movie money.[1]

[1] well... shitty movie money. Love Guru and Smurfs are running jokes on that podcast.

The Gentleman:

DirgeNovak:

Given Oliver had to just put his other webseries on hiatus until September just to get a handle on his schedule, I don't think he'll be able to join for anything short of movie money.

Wait is Last Week Tonight only until September? That would be a waste. That show is perfection.

Since not a single person on the whole internet seems to know what the fuck 'Yahoo Screen' is, this is gonna be worth it for Yahoo just for the marketing. Looks like they need this too. The UK and US versions are both full of total shit or just YouTube videos.

....*Ahem*....

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

While I didn't like season 5 as much as seasons 1-3, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Still, the show just isn't the same without Troy. Pierce... I can take him or leave him. I enjoy the new old guy played by Banks.

DirgeNovak:

The Gentleman:

DirgeNovak:

Given Oliver had to just put his other webseries on hiatus until September just to get a handle on his schedule, I don't think he'll be able to join for anything short of movie money.

Wait is Last Week Tonight only until September? That would be a waste. That show is perfection.

I don't think it's cancelled that quickly, especially considering how much some segments are viewed on youtube. Rather, I think he's still adjusting to his new work schedule, which, between his stand up, his relatively new wife, and his show, is a bit packed...

For as bad as seasons 4 and 5 seemed, they only seem bad when compared to Community, when compared to other shows, they still hold up head and shoulders above the rest. Which speaks volumes about the quality of Harmon as a producer that even when it's one of the best things around, his touch can elevate it further.

6SEASONSANDAMOVIE!

Davroth:
It's good that Dan is back in the drivers seat. But no Troy and Pierce? That's kind of abig blow for the show in my eyes... Oh well. I can always rewatch season 1-3 and pretend the horrible 4th season never happened.

Have you checked out season 5? Its more of a return to form over season4 with Harmon back and a decent sent off for both Chevy and Glover. Its kinda a shame that Chevy was such a dick that barely showed up to any of the filming of season 4 and they constanly had to rewrite it without him. I mean the barber shop between Pierce and Jeff is one of my favorite moments of the show (and thats saying a lot) and pretty much the only redeeming story, though the rest of that episode was rubbish.

Yahoo has a streaming service? Um... ? I'm happy it got picked back up but how many streaming services am I going to need to subscribe to? I'm trying to find out information on it and I don't even know if it has a name. Anyone got the skinny on it? You'd think Yahoo would take advantage of this by putting something on their front page to show us where it is.

Is it Yahoo screen? https://screen.yahoo.com/

Rellik San:

6SEASONSANDAMOVIE!

!!!!SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!!

CrazyBlaze:

Davroth:

Have you checked out season 5? Its more of a return to form over season4 with Harmon back and a decent sent off for both Chevy and Glover. Its kinda a shame that Chevy was such a dick that barely showed up to any of the filming of season 4 and they constanly had to rewrite it without him. I mean the barber shop between Pierce and Jeff is one of my favorite moments of the show (and thats saying a lot) and pretty much the only redeeming story, though the rest of that episode was rubbish.

Nope, I didn't bother with season 5. I will wait for season 6 and see about that return to form. I can always revisit season 5 if I like it. Otherwise, 3 Seasons is good enough for me.

I don't like Community. Not because the show itself is bad, mind you, but because it was a bad influence on one of my friends.

When I first met him, he was such a cool guy. Always nice, always friendly... but after he started watching Community, that all changed. For some bizarre reason, he decided to start emulating and mimicking Jeff´s behavior. That is to say, he started acting like a jerk. Sitting on his phone instead of talking to his friends, being dishonest, manipulating the people around him like we were fucking chess pieces...

And that just soured the whole show for me. I can never watch it now, not in any way that resembles neutral.

Don't quite know why I decided to bring this up...

Anyway, congrats on the sixth season.

awesomeClaw:
I don't like Community. Not because the show itself is bad, mind you, but because it was a bad influence on one of my friends.

When I first met him, he was such a cool guy. Always nice, always friendly... but after he started watching Community, that all changed. For some bizarre reason, he decided to start emulating and mimicking Jeff´s behavior. That is to say, he started acting like a jerk. Sitting on his phone instead of talking to his friends, being dishonest, manipulating the people around him like we were fucking chess pieces...

And that just soured the whole show for me. I can never watch it now, not in any way that resembles neutral.

You do realize that your friend was probably replaced by his darkest timeline alter-ego, right? Did he suddenly and inexplicably start wearing an obviously fake mustache and goatee?

I've lost track with all these "it's continuing/it's not" threads. I don't know anymore whether I'm reading old news or new news.

No good will come of this, I guarantee you.

McGuinty1:

awesomeClaw:

You do realize that your friend was probably replaced by his darkest timeline alter-ego, right? Did he suddenly and inexplicably start wearing an obviously fake mustache and goatee?

If it were that easy I would have travelled dimensions and saved him already! No, this was genuine "developed in the wrong direction", nothing more. People change, you know? And not always for the better.

...This better lead to a movie of epic proportions...

Other than that, I got some seasons to [re-]watch again...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here