Doom 4 Preview Exclusive to QuakeCon Attendees - Won't be Posted Online

Doom 4 Preview Exclusive to QuakeCon Attendees - Won't be Posted Online

doom title card

The Doom 4 preview shown at QuakeCon will not be made available online.

At E3 Bethesda showed us the tiniest Doom 4 teaser, and promised there would be more at QuakeCon. Well, if you want to get a glimpse of that preview, you had better hope you have a Quakecon ticket, as the preview that Bethesda shows at the con will be exclusive to attendees - with no screenshots or trailers posted online.

"This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation," said Bethesda on the Bethblog today. "We'll have plenty more to show everyone at a later date, but we didn't want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something special for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years."

Bethesda confirmed that none of the event will be live-streamed, meaning the only way you can see it is to physically be at the convention. "QuakeCon will be the only place for fans to check out the new Doom game."

While we're certain someone will take some footage of it with their smartphones, and Bethesda will eventually release it to the public, for now, getting yourself a QuakeCon ticket is the only way to see the preview.

Source: Polygon

That's what he thinks.

I sense a leak coming soon.

inb4 leak

Seriously, I would be absolutely stunned if this doesn't get posted online through either a hidden camera or from someone who actually has their hands on it.

Well know you've just made it a challenge for it to be on the internet by tonight.

Nice work.

Well maybe that's exactly what they want. You know if you want news to spread fast make it sound like a secret. Marketing trick.

Shout and everyone covers their ears.. whisper and people will stop in their tracks to hear what you have to say.

Honestly I don't see what the hype is... only question is, which modern FPS are they gonna drape the DOom skin over... I mean Doom3 did not feel like a DOom game.

Do they really think they'll be able to keep this thing from leaking after showing it to a convention full of PC gaming nerds?
I'd be genuinely surprised if their whole presentation doesn't get leaked before the week is out, Id just publicly issued the internet a challenge.
Unless they're counting on that...

tbh i've pretty much lost all interest in id without Carmack working away under the hood.

their later single player games were basically "brown" technology demonstrators that were only really of interest in a "can't wait to see what other companies will do with the new id Tech" way...and now the "id Tech" guy isn't at id any more...even worse it's actually Bethesda now...and if you wanna talk game engines swapping "id Tech" for something made by Bethesda is like some kind of demon filled nightmare just on its own...

best part is even though "id Tech 6" will ultimately be produced by Bethesda and not "id" (ie Carmack) they still expect to sell the engine to third parties leveraging what they call "ids reputation"...and that's why they bought id...not the (few) game IPs...so at this point any "id Tech 6" flag on a 3rd party game will basically mark its developers as "industry morons"...

and it's always nice to have advanced warning in that respect...

*sigh* id Tech 5 has been a major dissaster on PC, even while id still had Carmack at it's helm.

Doom 4 will be made for consoles, not for PC. Want it for PC?, just watch how Wolfenstein: The New Order is turning out for maaaaaaaaaaaany PC gamers, many state that the game is an unplayable mess if you outright don't own a Titan card, some even go as far as saying that the PS3 version is better than the PC version using an Nvidia Titan. Yup, PS3, not even PS4.

I have my expectations really low for this one, almost non-existant.

SupahGamuh:
*sigh* id Tech 5 has been a major dissaster on PC, even while id still had Carmack at it's helm.

Doom 4 will be made for consoles, not for PC. Want it for PC?, just watch how Wolfenstein: The New Order is turning out for maaaaaaaaaaaany PC gamers, many state that the game is an unplayable mess if you outright don't own a Titan card, some even go as far as saying that the PS3 version is better than the PC version using an Nvidia Titan. Yup, PS3, not even PS4.

i have a GTX 670 and have had no problems with the new order BUT yeah thats like winning the lottery

even if there isn't an actual leak, this is kind of like inviting all the viruses to pose as it

Ehhhhhh...

On one hand, I like the Doom series so far and, despite the 'tech demo' feel of Rage, I did actually enjoy it.

On the other hand, id have been busy sniffing their own farts over the fact that they made Doom 21 years ago, coupled with development issues between them and Bethesda for the last few years... I am cautious of Doom 4. Fingers crossed it's actually a full game this time.

I imagine I'll catch the preview on Youtube when someone inevitably leaks it. My money says it gets leaked before QuakeCon too, just for the sake of it.

Sleekit:
tbh i've pretty much lost all interest in id without Carmack working away under the hood.

their later single player games were basically "brown" technology demonstrators that were only really of interest in a "can't wait to see what other companies will do with the new id Tech" way...and now the "id Tech" guy isn't at id any more...even worse it's actually Bethesda now...and if you wanna talk game engines swapping "id Tech" for something made by Bethesda is like some kind of demon filled nightmare just on its own...

best part is even though "id Tech 6" will ultimately be produced by Bethesda and not "id" (ie Carmack) they still expect to sell the engine to third parties leveraging what they call "ids reputation"...and that's why they bought id...not the (few) game IPs...so at this point any "id Tech 6" flag on a 3rd party game will basically mark its developers as "industry morons"...

and it's always nice to have advanced warning in that respect...

To be fair, good ol' id has had their head so far up their own arse with the 'id reputation' that you can't really blame Bethesda for cashing in on it. Last I heard Bethesda was super-pissed at id anyway, considering all they'd done on Doom 4 for a couple years was piss around and waste money. Even without Carmack I imagine id tech 6 will still be id produced, considering id was bought 2 years before id tech 5 came out...

Besides, id tech engines have enough problems of their own, I doubt Bethesda would feel the need to throw their own bugs into the mix.

Who bets that a shaky cam version will appear on the net an hour after the conference ends?

BigTuk:
Well maybe that's exactly what they want. You know if you want news to spread fast make it sound like a secret. Marketing trick.

Shout and everyone covers their ears.. whisper and people will stop in their tracks to hear what you have to say.

Honestly I don't see what the hype is... only question is, which modern FPS are they gonna drape the DOom skin over... I mean Doom3 did not feel like a DOom game.

Really?

DooM 3 felt like DooM ... 3.

IT felt like both a DooM game and its own thing at the same time.

SupahGamuh:

That seems like a major exaggeration.

The PS 3 version of TNO is ULTRA LOW settings, 690p (not even 720p) and runs at 23-28 fps. It is... barely playable.

I play TNO on Medium-High on the damned ATI HD 5770.

I am not saying its well, they LIED about the requirements, THEY LIED on the DX and OpenGL version required, they LIED on the VRAM needed...
But its still better then the console versions.

SupahGamuh:

Really? i have a 560ti and plays fine on mine, with everything mostly set to max aswell.

Ed130 The Vanguard:
Who bets that a shaky cam version will appear on the net an hour after the conference ends?

Naaa. It'll be live-streamed.

Sleekit:
"can't wait to see what other companies will do with the new id Tech"

id Tech hasnt been used by other companies since id Tech 3 with very few exceptions like Prey or Brink. The rest are basicly co-productions from id and another developer like Wolfenstein 2009 or Quake: Enemy Territory.

And for Domm 4 since it will use id Tech 5 again there isnt much for Carmack to do with it now, Carmack being there for Doom now wouldnt change whatever they are planning to do with it so yeah... id Tech 6 on the other hand may suffer without him, iD Tech 5 ended up being somewhat crappy in some aspects (it does run incredibly well on consoles while looking great though) but it did at least try to do something new so it was a nice test, I guess.

I am still curious to see how Doom 4 turns out, I really liked the Wolfenstein: TNO (not made by id but part of Bethesda and a good example of mixing the old with the new) so I do have some hopes that Doom 4 can still be a good game. On the other hand I really didnt like Rage, it looked like it was a really bad example of mixing the old with the new and that game was actually made by id.

RedBackDragon:

SupahGamuh:

i have a GTX 670 and have had no problems with the new order BUT yeah thats like winning the lottery

I won the lottery even harder, I have a GTX 550 Ti and it ran just fine, with roughly the same settings as the PS4 version.

SupahGamuh:
many state that the game is an unplayable mess if you outright don't own a Titan card

You know, I really missed this about the video-game industry, and I'm fairly pleased to see id is still pulling this. I missed the few rare titles that pushed the limits of hardware. I miss games that make you realize just how dated a 4-year-old rig can be.
Just my perspective, I don't mean to dump on yours Gamuh. I too was pretty sad I couldn't play TNO. Time to upgrade soon I guess! I'm just glad that a title I'm actually excited for is going to force me to finally upgrade my powercolor 4870.

I'll admit that I'm a bit hyped to see what id has in store for Doom 4. And, I freely admit that 99.99% of that "hyped state" is the result of pure nostalgia.

Though I'm not holding any hope for the game, insofar as the quality of the title, I do look forward to this "attendee exclusive" video showing up online less than two hours after the presentation ends.

BigTuk:

Egh, I don't know. It was long stretches of monster closets, a mixture of linear and non-linear maps, and either a dearth or an overabundance of weapons at any given time; just like Doom and Doom 2. The only real differences, outside of the graphical quality, were Doom 3 having dialog and a (somewhat) cohesive narrative, and not being based around discreet "levels".

I know not everyone will agree but Doom 3 felt very much like a modern Doom; at least to me. It wasn't exactly like playing the old Doom games, but it's as close as I'd expect without just rehashing the old games entirely.

Oh, shut up, yes it will.

RedBackDragon:

Ajarat:
You know, I really missed this about the video-game industry, and I'm fairly pleased to see id is still pulling this. I missed the few rare titles that pushed the limits of hardware. I miss games that make you realize just how dated a 4-year-old rig can be.
Just my perspective, I don't mean to dump on yours Gamuh. I too was pretty sad I couldn't play TNO. Time to upgrade soon I guess! I'm just glad that a title I'm actually excited for is going to force me to finally upgrade my powercolor 4870.

What rubs me in the wrong way though, is not that it needs better hardware, is that it doesn't look any better than freaking Crysis 1 and yet it needs MORE hardware than Crysis for roughly the same quality.

And yet it needs twice the amount of ram, 7 times the harddrive space, and roughly 3 to 4 times the CPU and GPU.

My point still stands, freaking id Tech 5 is a bust.

Vigormortis:
I'll admit that I'm a bit hyped to see what id has in store for Doom 4. And, I freely admit that 99.99% of that "hyped state" is the result of pure nostalgia.

Though I'm not holding any hope for the game, I look forward to this "attendee exclusive" video to show up online less than two hours after the presentation ends.

BigTuk:

Egh, I don't know. It was long stretches of monster closets, a mixture of linear and non-linear maps, and either a dearth or an overabundance of weapons at any given time; just like Doom and Doom 2. The only real differences, outside of the graphical quality, were Doom 3 having dialog and a (somewhat) cohesive narrative, and not being based around discreet "levels".

I know not everyone will agree but Doom 3 felt very much like a modern Doom; at least to me. It wasn't exactly like playing the old Doom games, but it's as close as I'd expect without just rehashing the old games entirely.

I never said Doom3 was a bad game mind you but for the most part I dunno. I think my issue with DOom3 is that it took itself a little too seriously. I mean DOom and Doom 2 there was a bit of tongue in cheek about it

BigTuk:

I never said Doom3 was a bad game mind you but for the most part I dunno. I think my issue with DOom3 is that it took itself a little too seriously. I mean DOom and Doom 2 there was a bit of tongue in cheek about it

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree with you. And I never implied that you had called it a bad game. (though, anyone is certainly free to)

I was just saying that, at least to me, it felt very much like a contemporary take on the classic formula. I can certainly see how one wouldn't, and I do agree that there was a lesser (but not nonexistent) sense of a "tongue-in-cheek" attitude behind aspects of the game, but for me it felt very much like a throw back.

That said, I'll openly admit part of that feeling, or perhaps even the majority of that feeling, was borne out of a sense of nostalgia while playing the game back then.

As for Doom 4, I think you and I would share a hope or desire to see the game be more akin to the previous Doom games rather than a modern shooter with the Doom moniker slapped on.

Another skeptical nail in the coffin for id for me, doing this is just alienating the rest of the "non-privileged" Doom fanbase who didn't or can't go to Quakecon. Isn't the point to get people's interest is to expose it to as many people as you can, not this exclusionary BS?

Skepticism in full drive here, and will look for it online when it does show up. Sorry id, but you aren't what you used to be 21 years ago now that Carmack has left to pursue other opportunities in the gaming/business world.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here