Web Browser You Stopped Using 10 Years Ago Still World's Most Popular

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Web Browser You Stopped Using 10 Years Ago Still World's Most Popular

Internet Explorer 310x

Internet Explorer still dominates with 58.38 percent of the market.

When was the last time you used Microsoft's Internet Explorer? Not including accidental starts, or acts of irony/hipstertude, of course. It's been a while, I bet, and you're probably pretty happy with Google Chrome (and to a lesser extent, Mozilla Firefox).

But guess what? The web browser you last used intentionally in 2004 is still the cat's pajamas in much of the world, as Net MarketShare's latest report shows. Internet Explorer still has an insane 58.38 percent market share (number is from June 2014), undoubtedly fueled by older versions of IE still installed on Dell and Compaq computer the world 'round. In fact, its market share is actually up from the previous month (58.17 percent in May).

As for the competition, Google Chrome sits at 19.34 percent (up from 17.73 percent in May), and the bronze medal goes to the memory-hogging Firefox (15.54 percent; down from 16.81 percent in May). Safari is in a distant fourth with 5.28 percent.

The massive gulf exists in large part to IE's installation on all Windows-toting PCs, giving it a significant advantage over third-party Windows Internet browsers. And it's worth noting that IE9 is not your grandmother's IE6...but nothing will take me away from my Google Chrome. Ever.

Teaser Image Credit: 2Slick

...And soon they'll have another normal user, because my Chrome is constantly screwing up. Say what you want about IE, at least the current iterations work.

You know what? I used Internet Explorer for a while when I first got this new windows 8 laptop, and I have to say it wasn't that bad at all. In fact I had no problems with it whatsoever and it was really fast. I do think Chrome is better, I even think Opera is a lot better, but it still wasn't bad.

To be fair, the current version of IE is probably more stable than Firefox at this point and not too far behind on HTML and CSS feature support. (The real bottleneck at this point is the W3C, who drag their feet about approving new feature proposals, and Microsoft has a valid reason not to support features whose specs might change. Opera is pretty much the only browser that rushes new features to market as soon as they get the thumbs-up from the Web developer community.) It's just... whenever I fire up another browser, I feel like I've entered a foreign country. I don't know where to find things, and I've left all my own stuff at home. I tried Opera back when Firefox did their stupid, stupid redesign of the menu, but I discovered there wasn't even a way to import Firefox's data, so my browsing history, cookies, bookmarks... I'd have to throw that all out. Not worth it.

lacktheknack:
...And soon they'll have another normal user, because my Chrome is constantly screwing up. Say what you want about IE, at least the current iterations work.

What does your chrome keep doing? Mine has been messing up a lot too since I reinstalled it.

Chrome is the cancer of the internet. Or shall I say, spy-ncer. Horrible, slow, buggy and obnoxious.

Firefox fares just slightly better at this point however, having imported Chrome's rapid prototyping way of development.

Interestingly, some forks of these 2, such as Maxthon and SeaMonkey, are still pretty good, especially the latter.

IE, while it would not be my first choice because - well, Microsoft, is probably the best thing for standard browsing in the IE10 version. Until it catches some spyware that is. Of course, having Winblows stuffed down our throat together with otherwise good IE is kind of a dealbreaker.

Why doesn't this article contain percentages of browsers used to access the Escapist?
Real shame, as it could back up the (probably quite true) statement no one here uses IE!!!

Presuming that majority of IE users comes from workplace-enforced policies and such, of course very little of Escapist is likely to use it.

Compare to any expectedly tech-savvy crowd and I doubt Explorer picks up over a third at most.

Opera.
Chrome? Google is evil. Use DuckDuckGo. They don't sell your secrets to the government.

I haven't used a new version of IE, so I cant really comment on it, but the school that I attend refuses to update its version of it, so every time that I use a computer there, the version of IE that they use cant even open another tab without opening a new window. *shudders*

I only ever really use Chrome because right now it seems like the best browser that I have used, so Im pretty content with it.

I tried Chrome but after encountering the lackluster bookmark and security options I went back to Firefox.
I'm not against IE... it's just that I haven't touched it in years (not installed) and am okay with Firefox.

Worgen:

lacktheknack:

What does your chrome keep doing? Mine has been messing up a lot too since I reinstalled it.

Mine randomly closes with no message, periodically stops playing video, and purges my passwords at random.

I used to use firefox, since all the cool kids told me that using internet explorer was like... snuggling... the entire world without a condom in regards to security.

But alas, some day firefox decided to crash at random moments, so I came crawling back to IE.

Frankly, I don't care about my browser. My browser is a tool I use, like a fork or a spoon. I don't want any fancy gimicks, I just want bookmarks and stable surfing.

I think a large portion of IE users, don't know about other options. Internet explorer is exactly that, why would you look for something else when you have a "web button"? Just double click the blue E and you're on the net. Even in marketing terms chrome, firefox, safari, Opera etc don't exactly scream "web browser" but internet explorer ...

Not used IE in a long ass time but I am happy with my weird choice to use chrome, firefox and Opera haha

I use IE every day, at work. Our front end personnel system run in IE9, and our client accounts applications are accessed via IE6. And I'd be willing to bet anyone that people who work for any other large corporation would say the same.

Techies, nerds, gamers and such tend to forget that most people aren't like them and don't care about the same stuff we do. Being a nerd seems to be a lot more acceptable (even -shudder- cool) these days, but we're still a fairly small minority.

IF ANY OF YOU WERE REALLY INTERNET COOL YOU'D STILL BE USING PRE-MOZILLA NETSCAPE.

-Devin Connors

I'm using IE right now and I have been since IE9 was released with very few problems.

Google's spyware can go f**k it self. I have Firefox for the odd site that doesn't work right (I just don't like it's layout) and Opera to get around the UK website blocks.

I only update Firefox before using it so just checked what version I'm on and it's 25 so the last time I used it was before 26 was released and just checked were on version 32 :| time to update then!

Devin Connors:
When was the last time you used Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

That'd be right now. (And frankly, the tone of this article towards IE users is some of the most condescending shit I've ever seen on this website. 58.38% of users is a LOT.)

The reason Internet Explorer is so shit is because it's used by an incredible quantity of morons who don't know how not to get spammed with toolbars and addins. If you're remotely competent at using a computer, Internet Explorer will do everything you need it to.

Except certain websites which say "only works with Chrome and Firefox", and specifically excluding any browser is a sign of incompetent website programming (at best - at worst it's ideological bullshit), not browser incompatibility.

(All that said, I'm less fond of IE11 than some previous versions - I hate tabbed browsing and now I can't disable it.)

OPERA! FIGHT THE POWER! YEAH!

But yeah, I use mostly opera. So this leaves me indifferent. Still use firefox/chrome some (because of exclusionary stuff GRRR) but I have grown to like the little guy.

lacktheknack:

Worgen:

lacktheknack:

Mine randomly closes with no message, periodically stops playing video, and purges my passwords at random.

Sounds like a different problem than I have, mine tends to freeze on me and I have to close it to use it again.

my initial thought was "people still use netscape navigator?"

Internet Explorer is actually a pretty good browser these days - the internet seems to be stuck a long time in the past when it comes to their unfair criticism of it. It displays virtually every webpage without problems (unlike Chrome for me), it is also one of if not the fastest browser on Windows devices. Having said all that though I do still use Chrome purely for the plugins and whatnot.

What is this, 2001? I don't use IE, but things have changed quite a bit since then. Also, as a Chrome user you have no high ground whatsoever over IE, IE at least needed security holes for people to spy on you.

Err... you speak of Google Chrome and you say that Firefox is memory-hogging? Cool story.

Also my platform of choice lacks IE support, so yay. :)

I do prefer Firefox though, because pentadactyl and interface flexibility (tab close buttons, I hate you).

Kinitawowi:

Except certain websites which say "only works with Chrome and Firefox", and specifically excluding any browser is a sign of incompetent website programming (at best - at worst it's ideological bullshit), not browser incompatibility.

Probably they refer about pre-9 IE versions, which were so shite that no sane web developer wanted to touch em with a 10-foot pole. Even if IE cleaned its act of lately, it still won't live down the stigma.

Devin Connors:
But guess what? The web browser you last used intentionally in 2004 is still the cat's pajamas in much of the world, as Net MarketShare's latest report shows. Internet Explorer still has an insane 58.38 percent market share (number is from June 2014),

Now I'm confused as I just read this on another site:

"Google's Chrome is now the most popular internet browser in the world, according to a new study.

The latest Adobe Digital Index (ADI) report reveals that Chrome, which was already the biggest browser outside of the US, has now overtaken Microsoft's Internet Explorer in the United States.

According to the study, Google now commands a 31.8 per cent market in the US, up 6 per cent year-on-year. Internet Explorer is down 6 per cent to 30.9 per cent while, Apple's Safari is the third most popular browser with a 25 per cent share."
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/chrome-overtakes-ie-to-become-most-popular-browser-1.1823163

william12123:
OPERA! FIGHT THE POWER! YEAH!

But yeah, I use mostly opera. So this leaves me indifferent. Still use firefox/chrome some (because of exclusionary stuff GRRR) but I have grown to like the little guy.

ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!

Yeah, I use Opera as well. It's fast and sleek, mostly secure, and has some pretty great features.

Pickled:

Devin Connors:
But guess what? The web browser you last used intentionally in 2004 is still the cat's pajamas in much of the world, as Net MarketShare's latest report shows. Internet Explorer still has an insane 58.38 percent market share (number is from June 2014),

"Google's Chrome is now the most popular internet browser in the world, according to a new study.

The latest Adobe Digital Index (ADI) report reveals that Chrome, which was already the biggest browser outside of the US, has now overtaken Microsoft's Internet Explorer in the United States.

According to the study, Google now commands a 31.8 per cent market in the US, up 6 per cent year-on-year. Internet Explorer is down 6 per cent to 30.9 per cent while, Apple's Safari is the third most popular browser with a 25 per cent share."
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/chrome-overtakes-ie-to-become-most-popular-browser-1.1823163

Net Market share is considered the most accurate as even Google themselves don't call chrome the most used browser.

From Arstechnica

Net Market Share statistics are wrong? Nope. They measure the amount of users using each browser, most other statistics measure the amount of browsing done by each browser. Moreover, NMS takes into account places OTHER THAN THE WEST, which other statistics do not do.

Also, Net Market Share filters out things loading website without looking at them (for example with Chrome's predictive pre-fetch), with other static providers do not.

By take into account not-the-west, I mean they weight their data to account for all the traffic we know is in China but isn't measured as well directly. Other statistics assume that the hits they get from eastern countries is accurate - which it is not. Both statistics are useful, but only one tell you how many users use each browser.

Best browser was Opera 12.17, sadly it does not get any security updates anymore, so I've changed to Opera Next (which is basically Opera some versions ahead of the stable version). Gladly most things do work as I want them to, although there are still some problems that simply were solved better in 12.17. But it's better than Chrome for sure. Firefox is okay, too, I use that on Linux. IE though.... :D yeah, still no thanks. The best about IE is probably its mascot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTUlF7NA2o

Devin Connors:
IF ANY OF YOU WERE REALLY INTERNET COOL YOU'D STILL BE USING PRE-MOZILLA NETSCAPE.

-Devin Connors

I just had to pull it out of mothballs and give it a try. Netscape 4.8 still works on Windows 7, although modern pages don't look so good.

See screen capture here: http://i57.tinypic.com/ld3k0.jpg

youji itami:

Pickled:

Devin Connors:

Net Market share is considered the most accurate as even Google themselves don't call chrome the most used browser.

From Arstechnica

Net Market Share statistics are wrong? Nope. They measure the amount of users using each browser, most other statistics measure the amount of browsing done by each browser. Moreover, NMS takes into account places OTHER THAN THE WEST, which other statistics do not do.

Also, Net Market Share filters out things loading website without looking at them (for example with Chrome's predictive pre-fetch), with other static providers do not.

By take into account not-the-west, I mean they weight their data to account for all the traffic we know is in China but isn't measured as well directly. Other statistics assume that the hits they get from eastern countries is accurate - which it is not. Both statistics are useful, but only one tell you how many users use each browser.

Apparently Adobe's stats include browsers for all internet devices rather than just computers... I saw where it says that IE still has the most market share when talking about desktops.

"Internet Explorer remains the leading desktop browser in the US with a 43.3 per cent share. Chrome Desktop and Firefox Desktop browsers are at 30.6 per cent and 12.5 per cent respectively. Apple's Safari has a 10.3 per cent market share."

And here's a direct link to Adobe's page about the statistics:

http://www.cmo.com/articles/2014/6/2/adi_2014_browser_war.html

Actually I use MSIE, Chrome, and Firefox... The one I use depends basically upon what I'm doing. :)

Devin Connors:
As for the competition, Google Chrome sits at 19.34 percent (up from 17.73 percent in May), and the bronze medal goes to the memory-hogging Firefox (15.54 percent; down from 16.81 percent in May). Safari is in a distant fourth with 5.28 percent.

Where in the name of Steve Job are you getting those number?

Chrome hasn't been that low Since October 2010, and Internet Explorer hasn't been that high on MJ since 2008.

I don't have June numbers but I do have May from several sources.

w3schools
Chrome 59.2 %
IE 8.9 %
Firefox 24.9 %
Safari 3.8 %
Opera 1.8 %

Wiki show's that you're probably reyling on NetApplications data to make the bold claim that Zombie IE is a monster, but Wikimedia Counter, StatCounter, and W3Counter show that something is definatly wrong with NetApplications sampling methodology since they all have it siting below 25%. IE is no where near a majority of the market.

I can only assume that the original article knows that this is wrong, and is why they have a troll in the IE logo. They are deliberately trolling with clearly bad data.

At work we pretty much have to use IE.

They have chrome but the Java version in it is screwed up so bad you can't use for any site with Java or at least any you want to use the Java element on... so most of them. And they won't let us install Firefox or anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the main reason IE is still so highly used. As common practice large companies don't allow their users to install software and IE is already installed with the windows OS that they all use.

At home I use Firefox, because I always have I can't be asked to switch and spend the time to find equivalent addons in other browsers to what I have in Firefox. Because I very much like/use allot my addons.

I still use IE for pretty much all of my internet browsing, as I've had little to no issue with it compared to any other browser. It was a step up from Netscape back in the day and it still holds up for me well so I keep truckin' along with it.

The only time I bother with Chrome is when I want to check Facebook (or sites where I need multiple accounts), as it saves the passwords separately from IE so I don't have to log out of my wife's Facebook, and when I browse the Escapist because it... runs better on the Escapist... Loads faster, ya know?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here