Report: Crytek Employees Refusing to Come in to Work

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: Crytek Employees Refusing to Come in to Work

Crytek logo

According to inside sources, the bulk of employees at Crytek's UK office are no longer suiting up and coming in to work.

Oh dear. If you're looking for a little bit more legitimacy that Crytek's UK staffers haven't been paid properly since April, a report that the bulk of those same staffers are refusing to come in to work may be just that. According to Kotaku, "people familiar with the situation," are reporting that most people are simply not turning up to work.

According to those people, Crytek's UK staff have still not been paid the full amount they are owed, and this week, the staff at Crytek's UK office handed in formal grievance letters and went home. One such source estimates as many as 100 people have left, though it is unclear how many of them have departed permanently and how many are simply waiting for conditions to improve before returning to work.

Apparently, employees at Crytek UK, which is based in Nottingham, are hoping that Deep Silver (who publishes the Saints Row series) will purchase the studio and continue funding development of Homefront: The Revolution.

Both Crytek and Deep Silver have refused to offer comment, although Crytek recently refuted reports that the company was close to bankruptcy.

Source: Kotaku

Generally when you can't pay your workers, you are bankrupt.

exobook:

Contrariwise, you are much less likely to go bankrupt if you never pay anyone. Of course this probably isn't a viable long term solution...

This is no way to treat the former staff of Free Rdical (former Rare staff) who made some of the best shooters of all time.

Time for EA to buy Crytek, so they can make some crappy cash-grab Crysis 4 and then pull the plug on this studio too.

OT: Looks like grim news. I don't think anyone wants to see Cry Engine dying.

Scars Unseen:

exobook:

Contrariwise, you are much less likely to go bankrupt if you never pay anyone. Of course this probably isn't a viable long term solution...

especially when it shows to everyone that you are in effect bankrupt.

What? wait, what?
Crytek, Deep Silver?
What is going on here, as far as i know all the crysis games, which were from crytek, have been published by EA, so what does have Deep Silver to do with this?
Or were they independent and just had the game published by EA?

Amaror:
What? wait, what?
Crytek, Deep Silver?
What is going on here, as far as i know all the crysis games, which were from crytek, have been published by EA, so what does have Deep Silver to do with this?
Or were they independent and just had the game published by EA?

They are independent they were hoping Deep Silver would buy them out and solve their money issues.

Steven Bogos:

Apparently, employees at Crytek UK, which is based in Nottingham, are hoping that Deep Silver (who publishes the Saints Row series) will purchase the studio and continue funding development of Homefront: The Revolution.

Do they not know how corporate business works? If they are going bankrupt Deep Silver is never going to buy them now (if it was ever), its far more cost effective to just wait for the studio to fall over, then sweep in and employee all the staff as they leave, buy up all the assets and form a new internal team made up of them.

The only reason to buy them now is if they wanted to keep the name Crytek for brand recognition. But given that when the company fails the the trademark/copyright is pretty much up for grabs too, they can probably get that too if put some effort in.

how the hell did they do that? The crytek games are very succesful are they not? To bad. They were a good studio. I'd hate to see them go.

Angelous Wang:

Steven Bogos:

Do they not know how corporate business works? If they are going bankrupt Deep Silver is never going to buy them now (if it was ever), its far more cost effective to just wait for the studio to fall over, then sweep in and employee all the staff as they leave, buy up all the assets and form a new internal team made up of them.

The only reason to buy them now is if they wanted to keep the name Crytek for brand recognition. But given that when the company fails the the trademark/copyright is pretty much up for grabs too, they can probably get that too if put some effort in.

That might be another reason to try to hide the fact that they are going bankrupt.

iseko:
how the hell did they do that? The crytek games are very succesful are they not? To bad. They were a good studio. I'd hate to see them go.

I thought that about THQ when they went to the wall, how can they go bust when they've made so much money?

It turns out that making games is really, really, really expensive. Everything from the licensing fees paid out to weapons manufacturers, musicians, car companies, city councils through to the hardware costs for the dev team. Not to mention the payroll cost of a company with hundreds of staff where the lowest paid permanent employee earns over £25k per annum.

That money is all loaned during the development period and the finance teams run around desperately bull-shitting creditors till the cash comes in from the game release, which gets used to pay off the debts from 2 to 5 years ago. It almost seems as if insolvency is inevitable for all games companies.

It doesn't matter though! The people are the main thing; they will go on in their careers to work for/found future companies that will continue to wow us.

surprised about it really. i thought they are doing really well, especially sinice EA was publishing their games and even had all 3 crysis games on special on origin and last night i saw crysis 1 and 2 on special on steam. as a shooter it was alright, but i cant say it was really special besides very impressive graphics.

iseko:

The main studio has yes, but then they went and bought up like 10 new ones while financing some really horrid blockbuster games and now it seems all that bled them dry.
Hopefully they will only call quits on a couple of subsidiaries and not let the whole ship sink, but considering they are still unwilling to talk about any part of this problem could mean their denial continues and they will take the whole thing to it's bitter end.

iseko:

The xbone exclusive Ryse just drained them. It flopped on such a collosal level they couldn't recover.

To make matters worse, cryengine isn't being adopted by anyone in an age of 15$ engines that include nvidia gameworks.

and on top of all of this, their F2P MMO warface flopped hard outside of russia.

Crytek cries about piracy, and went console focused. Then thought a huge expensive launch title would "bring in the money" on the least popular console of the entire generation.

Metalrocks:
surprised about it really. i thought they are doing really well, especially sinice EA was publishing their games and even had all 3 crysis games on special on origin and last night i saw crysis 1 and 2 on special on steam. as a shooter it was alright, but i cant say it was really special besides very impressive graphics.

Crysis 1 was a tour de force at the time of release. It did things that people didn't think was possible. High end physics (shacks made of individual destructible pieces) in a huge level with kick ass graphics and reactive AI in an open ended mission structure.

They cut all that after crysis 1. You didn't think crysis 1 was amazing because you see it years after the fact.

same way people complain half life 2 is overrated when it laid the foundation for shooters now.

Crysis 1 was the GTA V of shooters. It took limited tech and did the impossible.

Bertylicious:

iseko:

I thought that about THQ when they went to the wall, how can they go bust when they've made so much money?

It turns out that making games is really, really, really expensive. Everything from the licensing fees paid out to weapons manufacturers, musicians, car companies, city councils through to the hardware costs for the dev team. Not to mention the payroll cost of a company with hundreds of staff where the lowest paid permanent employee earns over £25k per annum.

That money is all loaned during the development period and the finance teams run around desperately bull-shitting creditors till the cash comes in from the game release, which gets used to pay off the debts from 2 to 5 years ago. It almost seems as if insolvency is inevitable for all games companies.

It doesn't matter though! The people are the main thing; they will go on in their careers to work for/found future companies that will continue to wow us.

Nice comic.
But isnt that pretty much every job :D :D

OT: It is so sad Crytek are in this situation... they are a decent developer.

Well that's the end of Crytek.

As for Deep Silver, I doubt it, they had success picking up THQ's survivors, but they also got a hold of mostly intact developers and mildly successful franchises for virtually free.

If Deep Silver does buy Crytek what does Crytek have? About sixty games using CryEngine that may or may not get published and obviously don't pay enough for the deal, a bunch of Russians paying nothing to play Warface and a half finished Homefront sequel nobody wants or cares about. EA will help itself to Crysis and Ryse (for what it's worth) is Microsoft's, so Deep Silver will be buying a name and some leases for the empty offices where the unpaid staff used to work.

I don't think so. If they choose to keep funding Homefront 2 at all it will be with someone else.

Well, it's a crying shame this is happening, but there's no use crying over spilled milk. Facts need to be determined, as the accusations raised here are a real cryme. It would be truly saddening if true, as it would mean that the company is a far cry from its glory days. I wish the employees of Crytek the best of luck in this crysis.

Ultratwinkie:

Metalrocks:

Crysis 1 was a tour de force at the time of release. It did things that people didn't think was possible. High end physics (shacks made of individual destructible pieces) in a huge level with kick ass graphics and reactive AI in an open ended mission structure.

They cut all that after crysis 1. You didn't think crysis 1 was amazing because you see it years after the fact.

same way people complain half life 2 is overrated when it laid the foundation for shooters now.

Crysis 1 was the GTA V of shooters. It took limited tech and did the impossible.

Crysis 1 had VERY good gameplay. Freacking excellent even.
Thing is, it dependet directly on the player.

World of Tanks and WarGaming taught me... DO NOT depend on the player(s). They can almost NEVER realize something's potential.

karloss01:
This is no way to treat the former staff of Free Rdical (former Rare staff) who made some of the best shooters of all time.

THIS is where Free Radicals staff ended up!? Oh say it aint so!!!

Oh well... I suppose Timesplitters 4 really was just a dream...

iseko:

This is what happens when you spend ungodly amounts developing an engine no one wants to license, your last game was an awful failure, you spend god knows how much developing a f2p game that only just came out a few months ago and few people seem to ever talk about, and your most successful series is just moderately successful, but not a blow out hit.

I sit in the opposite camp to you though. I won't be sad to see them go at all. They made some good engine technology, but they weren't a good game developer.

Why the hell are they making another Homefront? Im pretty sure no one liked the first one, nor wants a second one.

Kotoriii:
Time for EA to buy Crytek, so they can make some crappy cash-grab Crysis 4 and then pull the plug on this studio too.

OT: Looks like grim news. I don't think anyone wants to see Cry Engine dying.

I thought they did that with Crysis 2. And 3. Because both were shit-house compared to the first. I'm incredibly glad Ubisoft got a hold of Far Cry from them.

PunkRex:

karloss01:

THIS is where Free Radicals staff ended up!? Oh say it aint so!!!

Oh well... I suppose Timesplitters 4 really was just a dream...

the majority yes, I believe the founders of Free Radical went off to form a mobile app studio. and from what Crytek stated, they never seemed to have the willingness to create another Timesplitters game; at least they've allowed Timesplitters Rewind to be produced for free by the fanbase.

Ultratwinkie:
Crytek cries about piracy, and went console focused. Then thought a huge expensive launch title would "bring in the money" on the least popular console of the entire generation.

I dont think it was the popularity of the Xbone was the sole cause for Ryse's flop, but mostly because of what it was. I remember that in the grim darkness of 2013 where Ryse was announced and there was no combat mechanic at all. Just move to an enemy and QTE would take over.

I imagine its hard to win people back when you reveal a game that has no more gameplay than the old dancemat games. And at least they made a good party game.

"Graphics graphics graphics" ~ Crytek

Y'know, I'd be sadder if it were another developer, one than focusses on other video game elements.

Bummer on the employees though.

The main studio may surprise you every once in a while, but the brand has been more noted for its flops lately. Especially Call of Duty: Roman Warfare, and Call of Duty: Now with Microtransactions. For the latter, they just couldn't match their console competition (host of f2p games on the Playstation, not beating WoT to the market on the 360, and now they're just hoping they'll appeal to SOMEONE on Steam.

What we're seeing is that they're putting a tourniquet on costs. That'll turn gangrenous soon, followed by amputation.

it's times like this where you'd think devs would learn to manage their finances better so troubles like this would never happen. Though considering the self-destructive tendencies of companies I better not get my hopes up.

Now I see why Crysis series is 75% off this weekend, partially because of this bad news.

Ultratwinkie:

Metalrocks:

I still have trouble running it ultra with 60 fps with my amd 7970. Heck the destruction physics are better then most today.

Well, good on them for at least standing up for themselves!

The harsh truth is, they have one good(ish) game to their name and that's it. Much of their status on the industry comes from producing graphical juggernauts that consoles and pcs alike struggle to fulfill. they are at the forefront (instigators in fact) of the whole graphical arms race, along with the bloated budgets that come with it. Even Crysis (a very decent shooter with some good open ended design and flexibility in approach) is best known for the fact that it was a graphical benchmark than for its merits as an actual game, and that is something they seem to have turned into a philosophy, producing diminishing returns after said debut, and turning both sequels into narrow corridors. They did try to go down Epic's path of being a purveyor of a game engine, but with every major publisher seemingly having its own in house engine these days, I don't think this will take them far down the road. The steaming (and bloatedly expensive) turd that was Ryse certainly didn't help matters.

I do feel for the workers and talent in these studios, but I just can't help but feel that all these consecutive stories speak of impending demise, not only of Crytek, but most of the stable names of this industry. And Cevat Yerli's vision is utimately a major factor in this industry's inability to sustain itself.

Hmmm I wander if it's the same staff from Free Radical Design (Time Splitters/Second Sight) if so then that is a whole new level of depressing news.

gigastar:

Ultratwinkie:

I dont think it was the popularity of the Xbone was the sole cause for Ryse's flop, but mostly because of what it was. I remember that in the grim darkness of 2013 where Ryse was announced and there was no combat mechanic at all. Just move to an enemy and QTE would take over.

I imagine its hard to win people back when you reveal a game that has no more gameplay than the old dancemat games. And at least they made a good party game.

Yeah Ryse just looked so boring to me especially after that abysmal E3 reveal, I never really even considered it a contender in the console wars. It was launching against a superhero game about a guy who could shoot neon lasers to fight an army of concrete powered soldiers and a zombie game were you can do this:

And what did it offer? Guy with sword stabbing people over and over again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here