Guillermo del Toro: Pacific Rim 2 "Very Different" From the First

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Guillermo del Toro: Pacific Rim 2 "Very Different" From the First

Director Guillermo del Toro reveals that he wants to make Pacific Rim 2 as "multicultural" as possible," and to make characters from many nationalities or gender "equal in the scope of the adventure."

Just last month, Director Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Pictures confirmed that Pacific Rim 2 is scheduled to hit theaters in April 7, 2017. While that might be a good three years from today, that hasn't stopped people from asking del Toro on his plans for the Kaiju-filled sequel. Speaking to the Wall Street Journal, del Toro was asked what fans can expect in Pacific Rim 2, and while he obviously can't divulge spoilers, he did let on that the two movies are "very different from each other."

We are three years away, so to spoil anything would be fantastically silly of me. What I can tell you: [screenwriter Zak Penn] and I really went in, we started with [screenwriter Travis Beacham] about a year and a half ago, kicking ideas back and forth. And, admittedly, I said to Zak, let's keep kicking ideas till we find one that really, really turns the first movie on its ear, so to speak. (...) It was hard to create a world that did not come from a comic book, that had its own mythology, so we had to sacrifice many aspects to be able to cram everything in the first movie. Namely, for example "the Drift," which was an interesting concept. [Then there was] this portal that ripped a hole into the fabric of our universe, what were the tools they were using? And we came up with a really, really interesting idea. I don't want to spoil it, but I think at the end of the second movie, people will find out that the two movies stand on their own. They're very different from each other, although hopefully bringing the same joyful giant spectacle. But the tenor of the two movies will be quite different.

In the same interview, del Toro was asked whether we should expect new characters in Pacific Rim 2. Short response? It's a yes.

I'm hoping to bring the same idea I had in the first movie, that was to make it multicultural and humanistic as much as possible, to make characters from many nationalities or gender, to make them equal in the scope of the adventure, in the day-to-day of the adventure. So, we're bringing a few characters that are new and hopefully doing good work managing those that survived the first movie. (laughs)

The famed director finishes by saying it takes nine months to design a movie like Pacific Rim 2; and adds that they are "creating some new jaegers and a lot of new kaiju" as well, with del Toro and the outfit set to start designing the production this August.

Source: Wall Street Journal via SuperHeroHype

Wonderful, maybe it will actually be a good movie then.

I take one movie at a time.
Next up is Guardians of the Galaxy, then something else and I guess a few more movies in between before I need to worry about this one :D
Still, liked the first one, hopefully this is as good, or even better :)

So you mean all the non-english speaking characters won't get killed off in the first fight this time?

Well, that's nice.

Why yes, I am still bitter. The Russians had a nuclear power station on legs for a mech! The Chinese triplets drove one with three arms and buzzsaws! What kind of monster kills them off to make way for the boring-bot?!

I might be alone in this but I think a prequel would have been better, the story was really well wrapped up at the end of Pacific Rim anyway. Having it set either in the early stages of the war with the first Jaegars or at the height of the war when they where losing would be exciting, a story about Pentecosts exploits in the MK Is would be cool.

So it is going to be a sequel then?

Thats the main thing I want to know at this point. Oh, and hopefully MORE MAKO PLEASE!!! The giant poster I have of her makes me have good dreams.

I hope there will be a new Jaeger from the Japans named Jet Jaguar

Kasual13:
I hope there will be a new Jaeger from the Japans named Jet Jaguar

If Jet Jaguar made an appearance, they need to use his Godzilla Unleashed theme music. He's like a pro wrestler.

I still want Hellboy 3... *sob*

It better not be too different that it is unlikable from the first.

Well, the first movie had a giant mecha use a cargo ship as a bat to smack a giant monster in the face. I'd accept the giant mecha using the Eiffel Tower as a spear. Not sure if the dimensions work out, but it would still be awesome!

I'm with Honest Trailers, the movie had some dumb moments, but it was a lot of fun and had some great action. I left the theater happy and ready for more.

The new Jaegers would need to be powerful as we can expect Category 4 and 5 Kaiju to be the norm based on the last movie. Wasn't there someone who suggested a Pacific Rim crossover with Godzilla? Or did I make that up in a fever dream?

I guess that means something like 5 more years until another Hellboy movie, if it does end up happening. Either way, I love del Toro's movies, and I'll be looking forward to any film he makes.

I hope it either has more action or better story because while the action was great it did had a lot of talk in a movie that is very dumb (I dont mind it being dumb, how could it not be if its about giant robots versus giant monsters? But dont focus so much on the plot then).

Also I agree with the multicultural, it didnt even made much sense for all the other robots to die so easily and have the poor american robot underdog to be the one to kick every alien ass around.

josemlopes:
I hope it either has more action or better story because while the action was great it did had a lot of talk in a movie that is very dumb (I dont mind it being dumb, how could it not be if its about giant robots versus giant monsters? But dont focus so much on the plot then).

Also I agree with the multicultural, it didnt even made much sense for all the other robots to die so easily and have the poor american robot underdog to be the one to kick every alien ass around.

actually... there is a reason for why everyone else was taken out so quickly. remember when the one guy drifted with the Kaiju? well as Ron Pearlman's character explains, it's a two way street. they found out the weaknesses of those Jaegers, and the reason Gypsy Danger did well was because the knowledge they had about the Jaegers was the same as his, and he didn't know if Gypsy Danger was operational, so the aliens didn't know.

Phrozenflame500:

Didn't really expect to be ninja'd by the first post, well done.

Didn't quite enjoy the first one, so yeah, hope that it will turn out better than the first.

Zhukov:
So you mean all the non-english speaking characters won't get killed off in the first fight this time?

IIRC, they all spoke better English than Mako.

Pyrian:

Zhukov:

IIRC, they all spoke better English than Mako.

Nah, the Russian woman says a few lines in both English and Russian. Russian dude says one or two lines in Russian. The Chinese trio say a couple lines in Chinese.

Then they all die.

Zhukov:

Well, that's nice.

Why yes, I am still bitter. The Russians had a nuclear power station on legs for a mech! The Chinese triplets drove one with three arms and buzzsaws! What kind of monster kills them off to make way for the boring-bot?!

Finally, someone else who gets it. I was so disappointed in that part. And to make it even worse, they are both taken out by the same monster. I thought these were supposed to be the best pilots in the world, and they got stomped straight away.

Here's hoping that these new pilots and their Jaegers actually get to stick around for the whole movie and be useful. Because that's what I want to see. I wanted to see a three on three battle, and instead I got...that.

So... Are we talking about being "very difference" like comparing the first Pirates movie and Pirates 3: At World's End or being "very difference" like comparing the original Tron movie to Tron Legacy?

Either way, I'm just pumped just thinking about the new possible Kaiju/Jaeger designs... and then some...

What? A Hollywood sequel that isn't just the same movie again? Del Toro, you're such a crazy dreamer.

barring the weird logic issues (it runs on analog? that wouldn't matter with an EMP!)
I liked the movie a lot, really fun. So this is good news.

My big question in this one is what kind of budget they will have. As I understand things, one of the big reasons a lot of the other mechs got demolished so easily was not just to sell the power of the Kaiju (and the fact that they were supposed to be obsolete mechs fighting the most powerful Kaiju to date to begin with) was that they could only do so many "money scenes" with the big action. To give everyone a chance to shine would have probably caused the money to be a lot more expensive. I read a few things about this when the movie came out due to allegations of both racism, and how some people were screaming that the whole point of the foreign mechs was to sell toys and model kits or whatever, even if they were hardly in the movie. As a result I also ready that they were quite blunt about the budget and saying that a lot of things they wanted to do got cut, including some Jaeger designs that never showed up in the movie. Now that they have defined the basic concepts, a sequel with a big budget, can get away with a lot more of the giant-robot vs. giant-monster action people wanted to see more of.

I'll also say that going way back now (and I believe I mentioned it before) there were stories going on about how even as the first movie was releasing they had already planned a possible trilogy, with Del Toro thinking ahead further than he did with Hellboy to guarantee some degree of funding should the movie at least break even, with the basic promise that the sum total of the work in the long run would exceed the performance of any one installment when he finished it. This is of course quite possibly BS, but if this rumor holds true, the planned sequel was to do a "role reversal" in the second movie, where the Jaegers are going to invade the alien world to end the threat entirely, find out that the situation was a bit different than what they got from the limited dive, and ultimately wind up dealing with a situation where they pretty much become the Kaiju to this other world, rampaging through civilian centers and such, wiping people out left and right, while the aliens try frantically to stop them, with a lot of the movie focusing on the entire morality of the situation and the shift from defender to attacker. The exact details were never revealed, but I'd imagine the whole clincher would be that the guys raiding other worlds and involved in genocide were some kind of government agency from the alien world, with the rest of the population at least somewhat unaware of what they owed
their survival to.

This is all just odd things I've heard here and there, and as I said, I believe I've pointed it out before. Chances are a lot of this is meaningless and irrelevant, as we won't know what is going to happen until closer to release. That said, there might be some truth to it, as I had actually been hearing a bit about a possible sequel or franchise almost as soon as the movie launched.

That said, while they differ from the comics substantially, I would like to see Del Toro finish up "Hellboy" as he left some serious threads hanging in his own continuity, and Ron Pearlman is getting too old. It does disappoint me on some levels that he's doing more "Pacific Rim" (as much as I loved it) while not finishing his previous work, which as a result stands a good chance of never being tied up.

bluegate:

Phrozenflame500:

Didn't quite enjoy the first one, so yeah, hope that it will turn out better than the first.

Add another to the "maybe it will actually be good" train!

Maybe if Generic White Guy isn't the main protagonist this time, the non-robot stuff will actually be interesting.

RedDeadFred:

bluegate:

Phrozenflame500:

Add another to the "maybe it will actually be good" train!

And another. It was painfully dumb, and even the robot fights did nothing for me because you couldn't tell what the fuck was going on. Too much rain and spotlights.

Well maybe this time around we could focus more on the robots/monsters aspect and less about a story that was as interesting and engaging as a bucket filled with white paint. And maybe we could actually see side-characters in action and not kill them off a couple of seconds into their first fight scene. And please don't focus on entirely pointless stuff like Ron Perlman's character...

Maybe then it could be good and not such a waste of time.

I felt the first one was underwhelming. Now, if they throw Godzilla into this one as a final fight...

Also, while I'm a fighter for greater diversity in film, I don't agree with the strategy of marketing it on multiculturalism. Just put people in the film! It's not that hard!

Honestly I just hope they either focus more on the fights and the different Jaegers or make the characters more interesting next time because the fighting was the only good parts of the movie and even then they could have done better.

GoodNewsOke:
Well maybe this time around we could focus more on the robots/monsters aspect and less about a story that was as interesting and engaging as a bucket filled with white paint. And maybe we could actually see side-characters in action and not kill them off a couple of seconds into their first fight scene. And please don't focus on entirely pointless stuff like Ron Perlman's character...

Maybe then it could be good and not such a waste of time.

Yeah as much as I love Ron Perlman he was not needed at all, and the scientists were practically out of a Micheal Bay Transformers movie in terms of annoying comic relief, though not quite that bad.

Story really was bland and the characters were cardboard cutout stereotypes, which is fine if thats what they wanted to go for, but then they shouldn't have focused on them so much and taken so long to get to the action.

For as much as I wanted to love it, it was hard to get into Pacific Rim the first go around for me. It was a movie that was just supposed to be about giant robots punching monsters in the face, which the movie had, but why did it have to feel as long as a Lord of the Rings movie? I mean obviously it ISN'T, but towards the end of the film I just found myself wishing it was over. It felt long. Plus Mako's story was much better than Raleigh's, yet she was very underwritten for how much everyone was pushing her as a great character.

Hopefully Pacific Rim 2 will be much better. There aren't very many movies about giant robots out there and I'd like for at least a few of them to be good.

Personally I think instead of a second movie they should make a prequel animated series. That way we could have lots of fights plus some world building. As for the first movie my main problem was they missed an action beat and it was very noticeable (at least to me). It needed one more decent fight in the middle and that would have done the job.

Sweet! I love the first one! Now lets just hope that third movie of hellboy comes out sometime as well, along with At The Mountain of Madness which he claimed he got a new urge to do after that Prometheus thing came out.

Wait...comics? This i was unaware of. Oh why haven't i seen the first film yet? It is Del Toro with mechs and monsters!!
If it has dumb moments, then i must attain a certain level of high for them to brush past the cynical filter. What sort of level of dumb are we talking here?

Actually, why stop at a Godzilla crossover, when we can throw in transformers, King Kong, Tony Jaa, Thor, Magneto and the fucking Kraken?! Fuck yeah!! Argh! Gotta lay off the phet.

[EDIT] Hey...Toro looks suspiciously like Michael Moore there. Hmmmmmm. Musings.

Phrozenflame500:

I concur. The first movie was not nearly as good or fun as some make out. It was mostly disappointing.

Part of the problem is it was too dense. It felt like a season of a television series compressed into a feature film, with lots of things left out and left dangling.

Personally, I hated that whole drift concept. These giant robots were more like battleships, which are crewed by hundreds. I would rather they be run like that with a crew of hundreds keeping the robot running with a hotshot pilot or whatever. that way they could tell the many smaller stories and when an arm gets ripped off, we know that means many people are killed because it was full of crew. But that has the same problem that I griped about above. Maybe this should just be a television series. or they could just not make it.

the antithesis:

Personally, I hated that whole drift concept. These giant robots were more like battleships, which are crewed by hundreds. I would rather they be run like that with a crew of hundreds keeping the robot running with a hotshot pilot or whatever. that way they could tell the many smaller stories and when an arm gets ripped off, we know that means many people are killed because it was full of crew. But that has the same problem that I griped about above. Maybe this should just be a television series. or they could just not make it.

They didn't do that because it's not the genre they were going for. Mecha shows and comics don't play out like that, so expecting this film to is kind of ridiculous. Controlling the suit with your mind and mind-melding with others is a staple of the genre, it's inclusion is in reference to that. Also they do a pretty good job of establishing why it needs to be there, they just didn't expand upon it. Hopefully it's something the sequel will touch upon.

Sometimes I wonder if people like you can ever really enjoy any science fiction, constantly over-thinking things ad nauseam must really put a damper on enjoying things.

Godspeed you crazy bastard!
Show those Godzilla assholes how it's done (I wanted that film to be good so badly)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here