George R.R. Martin Dislikes Fans Questioning His Health

Pages 1 2 NEXT

George R.R. Martin Dislikes Fans Questioning His Health

Martin Flipping the Bird

A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin says "fuck you" to fans who speculate he'll die before finishing the series.

George R. R. Martin has some choice words for fans who question his health stability.

In an interview with Swiss newspaper Tagesanzeiger, when Martin was asked about how people are worried he might not be around to finish his famous series A Song of Ice and Fire, he states he finds that question very offensive when people start speculating his death.

Cue a middle finger, "Fuck you to those people," then some cute laughter.

Martin wrote the first book A Game of Thrones in 1996 and the latest book A Dance of Dragons was published back in 2011. Martin is currently working on The Winds of Winter to then move onto the last book in the series A Dream of Spring thereafter.

Source: The Verge

Well.....why the fuck is it anyones fucking bizz ? And he knows its not that they give a crap about him its just they want the books to be finished before or if his health kills him. Fuck them. You go R R MARTIN lol

I'd say "fuck you" too if people only cared about my life for a book I was writing.

He's old, he can do and say what he wants. I'm honestly surprised he gives a damn about the people hounding him about his health. Still, good on him to give them the finger XD

Is he turning into the new Gabe? I can see this happening.

Awkward... a friend and I were just talking about this.... well, at least my friend suggested it, not me, so I feel a bit better that *I* wasn't given the hearty middle finger from dear Mr. Martin.

If you don't want fans questioning whether you die or not, you shouldn't be the author of a series that's KNOWN for killing its characters

Completely agree with him, his health isn't any of their business and they only inquire about it because they care only because they want their bloody books.

Let the man write and leave his personal health to himself.

Glad to see he has the stones to come out and say it.
*applauds*

You kind of walk into this when you start with a trilogy, drag it out to 7 books(2 of which aren't finished yet), speculate it may be 8 books to finish and the length of time for each book to come out has gotten longer with each book.

So don't be suprised when people wonder if you're going to live to finish the series.

OTOH, you could stop padding the story and get on with it.

He's only 65, and doesn't seem to be in bad health[1]. Why are people talking about him like he's on his deathbed? Perhaps when he's Christopher Lee's age I'll start to to worry about his looming mortality.

[1] He may be a bit... ample, but that's not an automatic health concern. In fact some evidence suggests being somewhat overweight in old age might cause people to live longer, though it's hardly proven.

I honestly couldn't care any less if there's an end to te series or not (I don't care about reading them at all though) but the moment when those retarded few start making themselves visible is the points when things go wrong.

If the guy just willing leaves the story unfinished on purpose I'd really get a laugh out of it, since those throwing shit at the guy would get completely pissed and others would just move on.

Dr. Crawver:
Is he turning into the new Gabe? I can see this happening.

Now I sort of want the "These things, they take time" picture of him but hitting a burning book with a hammer.

Well, are we surprised? If you speculated when I'd die I wouldn't be too pleased about it. Let's just all hope he lives well past a song of ice & fire's conclusion. Long live the GRRM!

Totally understandable, it is kind of offensive when fans of the books say stuff like "I hope he finishes the books before he eats himself to death". Plus his health is his own business, its a private matter in the first place and he knows himself he is ageing and overweight. He is aware of the implications of that and having people constantly speculating and reminding him of it must be hurtful at times, so yeah I can understand his "fuck you" attitude.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was genuine concern for the man himself, there are people that have acted like that but most people just want the books and comment on his speculated health without thought for the man himself.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if people were constantly speculating about my death, too.

"You are fat and look old", not a great compliment indeed.

It'd be a good slow burn for his rabid legion of fanboys if an old fat man nearing his 70's did die before he finishes his series which requires what, another 12-14 years to write going by his current schedule? Keep pretending you can wait a decade for more story told at a snail's pace

I wish impatient nerds can stop and understand that people like Martin (and Stan Lee) are immortal wizards powered by infinite magic and wisdom.
So there's no need to worry about our sage like deities going anywhere for another 4+ centuries.

Joking aside, much respect Mr. Martin. Much respect.

I normally hate it when people force memes. But I have to say that picture is absolutely meme worthy.

I'm surprised he didn't aim the other middle finger at the TV execs that want to milk out more Game of Thrones seasons from his last 2 books. They're the ones who are really sweating if Martin so much as has a minor cold.

This is.....it's like getting the middle finger from Santa Claus. I get the sentiment but it still hurts right in the feels.

Wouldn't it be super ironic if he died of a massive heart attack right after this interview? Then he would be like Tolkien and Robert Jordan with others finishing his work.

I think it's mainly because it has happened before.

Robert Jordan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jordan) died at a younger age than Martin is right now. He was writting the Wheel of Time, another epicly big fantasy saga. It had to be finished by Sanderson, who I understand did a good enough job, but people are forever left wondering what Jordan's version would have been like.

While it might sound terrible to 'care only for the book' - this is most likely the man's legacy and while it's hard to tell what stay famous and what is only popular for 15 minutes nowaday, the song of ice and fire may well be something still talked about and read in 50 years. It would be a shame if he didn't finish it.

I dunno, I've always thought it was more of a "dude you're fuckin old and you'll die at some point and we hope you don't die of old age before you finish" thing.

GameChanger:
I'd say "fuck you" too if people only cared about my life for a book I was writing.

Welcome to Earth, the starving children are located in africa, the terrorists are currently in the middle east, Japan is weird, China produces everything that isn't food, and North Korea is the world's laughing stock.

The only thing people will ever care about will be the stuff you do, not you personally.

Hairless Mammoth:
I'm surprised he didn't aim the other middle finger at the TV execs that want to milk out more Game of Thrones seasons from his last 2 books. They're the ones who are really sweating if Martin so much as has a minor cold.

No they aren't, the show will last seven seasons, and it will come to the same ending as the books. Probably travel different roads to get there, but we'll get an ending regardless of Mr. Martin's productivity.

So no, HBO isn't sweating shit, the showrunners know where it all ends up.

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who's seen GrrM has had that thought, so it might be a little bit much to flip off your entire fanbase, but on this issue, I'll side with him. Of course he doesn't like that. Noone would. Noone wants people to look at them and go "holy shit, you'll probably die soon"

That being said.

Guy's probably going to die before he finishes, that's basically biology. Oh well. Love you anyway Grrm. Flip me off all you want Mr rrM.

Agree that he should be annoyed at the speculation. Agree that he should've said something. Disagree about his way of saying it. Don't have an issue with swearing but giving the finger and stuff is just immature IMO. If he said he didn't give a fuck, that's fine but yeah. Just not classy. Glad I don't care for GoT

Altorin:
I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who's seen GrrM has had that thought, so it might be a little bit much to flip off your entire fanbase, but on this issue, I'll side with him. Of course he doesn't like that. Noone would. Noone wants people to look at them and go "holy shit, you'll probably die soon"

That being said.

Guy's probably going to die before he finishes, that's basically biology. Oh well. Love you anyway Grrm. Flip me off all you want Mr rrM.

I don't know if it's a probably so much as a distinct possibility. So long as you pay at least some attention to your health living past 70 isn't too much of a challenge. Not that he'll necessarily be done by 70, but the point is he's probably got enough time to finish the series before he dies. Unless he makes it a 9 book series or gets a metal disease like alzheimer's which kills his writing abilities in his twilight years. That cuts some significant time off the clock.

But yeah, his position is understandable. On the upside, perhaps his rage will fuel him to write with greater efficiency! More likely though his rage would just convince him to change the plot so literally every liked character dies.

Tarkand:
I think it's mainly because it has happened before.

Robert Jordan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jordan) died at a younger age than Martin is right now. He was writting the Wheel of Time, another epicly big fantasy saga. It had to be finished by Sanderson, who I understand did a good enough job, but people are forever left wondering what Jordan's version would have been like.

While it might sound terrible to 'care only for the book' - this is most likely the man's legacy and while it's hard to tell what stay famous and what is only popular for 15 minutes nowaday, the song of ice and fire may well be something still talked about and read in 50 years. It would be a shame if he didn't finish it.

Ya I mean I get Martin can't enjoy fans speculating about his health but its a legit concern he wouldn't be the first writer or artist to fall victim to death before finishing his magnum opus.

On the other hand, him dying with the story unfinished would be pretty perfectly in line with A Song of Ice and Fire.

As somebody who doesn't read A Song of Ice and Fire, I find it funny that a man who has based his whole career off of causing speculation on the deaths of his characters gets annoyed by people speculating about when he himself will die. I imagine that his fans view the subject with the same morbid fascination that they use when thinking about their favorite characters.

I think he should change his last name to Stark to troll the fans who keep questioning his health, finish both books but only release one then keep the other completed manuscript somewhere safe so that when the inevitable does happen there is like a week of panic from these fans, then his assistant should bring out the finished script for the final book.

it's what i'd do, but then I don't have a legion of fans or a super popular anything. yet.

Its sad that so many people here think the most noticable thing about his books are that characters die.

Soulrender95:
I think he should change his last name to Stark to troll the fans who keep questioning his health, finish both books but only release one then keep the other completed manuscript somewhere safe so that when the inevitable does happen there is like a week of panic from these fans, then his assistant should bring out the finished script for the final book.

it's what i'd do, but then I don't have a legion of fans or a super popular anything. yet.

i belive he said he got a contingency plan in case he cant finnish the books to quickly wrap up the story. i so hope its whitewalkers kill everyone.

Easy now, George. Remember your blood pressure. After all, you're the one who said "Hah-hoi, I want Game of Thrones to end with me!". Are you that surprised that people wondered how long you were sticking around? You've only got yourself to blame for not finishing what you started.

*laughs* That was great!

Sure, that won't shut everyone up, but at least he knows where his priorities are... unlike those that will still [seriously] speculate him dying before he finishes ASOIAF...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here