Uber Ride in Washington D.C. Turns into High-Speed Chase

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Uber Ride in Washington D.C. Turns into High-Speed Chase

Washington DC 310x

Uber driver takes off from the 5-0, with three customers in tow. Make sure to read all the way through for your chance to win a Destiny beta code!

I love transpo apps like Uber and Lyft. Spending time in Boston and LA means I can use them almost exclusively, with a rare traditional taxicab ride peppered in when necessary (usually just to remind me how terrible cabs usually are).

But a recent customer pickup in Washington D.C. turned into a scene from your run-of-the-mill action movie or TV show, as an Uber driver sped off from authorities after picking up three passengers.

The Uber driver in question picked up Ryan Simonetti (who happens to be the CEO of Convene), and two of his colleagues. The driver had been talking with a D.C. taxi inspector when the pickup occurred, and as soon as the inspector stepped away to run the driver's information through his computer, the Uber sped off with passengers buckled in.

What followed was a high-speed chase through Washington D.C., eventually ending in Virginia. Simonetti finally got the driver to stop, only after physically intervening.

From the Washington Post: "It was insane," Simonetti said. "I physically tried to force his leg to hit the brake. I ripped off his pant leg.... I said, 'Here's two options. You take this exit, or I'm going to knock the side of your head in. If we crash, we crash, but you're gonna kill us anyway.'"

The taxi inspector then tried to block the Uber driver from taking off again, only to have the perp go the wrong way on an exit ramp to flee the scene.

Uber and the Washington D.C. police are now involved, although the drivers name and information have yet to be released. The inspector originally stopped the driver to ensure he was making a proper pickup (made through the Uber app) and not a cab-style random street stop.

Now, about that Destiny beta code...this all played out like a scene from what would likely be a straight-to-Netflix action flick. But what would this movie be called? That's up to you. Submit your best movie titles based on the above story -- puns heavily encouraged -- and I will choose a winner at 3:30PM EST. Submissions should be made in the forum comments under this post, or via Facebook. And please, only one submission per user. Good luck!

Source: The Washington Post

Needing Speed 2: This Taxi Is Uber-charged

Crazy Taxi: D.C. Derby

Uber taxi driver abduction IV: Uber high speed

Still better than a taxi

D.C. Demons 3: Uber Taxi's Revenge

MacGrUber 2

The Transporter: 510 at 6600

Maximum Uber-drive: No Taxi-ing without Representing

How the Hell did I not hear about this? I live like 20 minutes from D.C. This wasn't even worthy of a 30 second "Look at the wacky things going on in D.C." piece from the local news?

I,Drovebot

Taxi driver 2: what the fuck?

The Convenient Element
(not that interested in winning the prize, just wanted to throw something out there)

Sharknado 3: Uber Sharknado!

So what you're telling me is that my evening commute is going to be an even worse traffic jam. Woo hoo.

Uber in 60 seconds

Space Balls 2: Uber-dicrous Speed: Capital Chaos: Subtitles.

I'm going to see if there's a police chase recording of this somewhere, this sounds hilarious.
Oh, right the movie title, erm...

U.B.E.R.:
Under Broken Emergency Rights.

Yep. That makes about as much sense as any movie title today.

Uber Inspector

I don't understand this.

The taxi inspector then tried to block the Uber driver from taking off again, only to have the perp go the wrong way on an exit ramp to flee the scene.

Taxi inspectors do not have the legal authority to stop/detain you. They are not law enforcement. They don't even carry guns. Nor was this even a Taxi, so he is doubly in the wrong.

Taxi Driver: Capital Punishment......... hope I win.. please lol

Scab Fare.

The Uber Chase.

Fast and Uberious 3: D.C Drift, Starring Nick Cage

Contest is DONEZO. Picking a winner in a few minutes...
-Devin Connors

Live Free or Die Uber

PhantomEcho:

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER. Extra points for including Spaceballs (even if Spaceballs 2 is already called The Search For More Money).

Check your messages for a Destiny beta code!

Devin Connors:

PhantomEcho:

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER. Extra points for including Spaceballs (even if Spaceballs 2 is already called The Search For More Money).

Check your messages for a Destiny beta code!

THAT'S LIKE 3 TITLES! CHEATER CHEATER EAT MY W......

Damn, I didn't get here soon enough.

I was gonna say, "Fare Game"

It's even got a pun :( Yknow? Like "fair game" but instead of "fair" it's "fare"? Like a taxi-fare? Get it?

DO YOU GET IT?!

*sob*

One Uber Overs The D.C. Nest

OT: Damn, son... I can't wait for the movie adaptation of this story to come out...

I must be old. Or living under a rock. I have no idea what an uber taxi is.

......... Escapist. is this the new trend? make a raffle for free stuff hidden in news articles?

This is an embarrasment, what's next, "Tell us why you dont like X using Haiku's for your chance to win a months supply of Mountain Dew and Dorritos?"

SHAME.

Carnage: The Uber Userper

What the actual fuck, Escapist, this has to be one of the most tasteless giveaways you've run on this site. You take a genuine news story and use it as a hook to generate movie titles for a competition? This is NOT a "scene from what would likely be a straight-to-Netflix action flick", but an actual event involving high speed police chases, and real danger to life and limb.

What next? Are you going to use a news story about the next mass shooting to come up with titles of movies for a giveaway around the next CoD game?

Please, don't do this sort of thing again.

badmunky64:
Still better than a taxi

None of my taxi drivers ever took it on the lamb with me inside, so I'm going with a resounding NO.

OT: GTA: Capitol City, Uber Edition.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or