LG: Flexible Ultra HD OLED Displays Coming This Decade

LG: Flexible Ultra HD OLED Displays Coming This Decade

LG Flexible OLED 310x

Current prototypes are 18-inch displays, but LG expects 60-inch versions before the end of the decade.

Flexible displays are nothing new, but LG is putting its full weight behind making them bigger, and better.

Going beyond smartphone-size screens, like those found in Samsung and LG phones, the latter has taken the wraps off of a new 18-inch flexible OLED display. It's so flexible, in fact, that it can be rolled up into a one-inch tube -- smaller than your average paper towel cardboard center.

The resolution is 1200x810 -- not quite 16:9, but good enough for anything aside from HD video. This is a prototype, of course, as the exposed circuitry would suggest, but it will serve as a foundation for LG's grander aspirations.

In-Byung Kang, who serves as LG's SVP of Research and Development, says that his company should be able to produce Ultra HD-quality 60-inch flexible displays in or before 2017. Imagine being able to roll up your 4K display into a poster tube-sized protective sheath. Even more imaginative: If battery tech make any sort of quantum leap in the same time period (cotton/carbon batteries, perhaps?), that flexible, lightweight display could be truly wireless.

Source: Engadget

I don't want to picky, but as my professor pointed out numerous times last semester, a "quantum leap" is a leap of the smallest magnitude. It would be equivalent (in a colloquial way, without getting into semantics, even if that is what this post is doing) to an increase in battery storage from 1800mAh to 1801 mAh.

A fundamental change in battery technology, bringing with it a massive increase in storage capacity, wouldn't, in my opinion, count as a quantum leap.

Devin Connors:
Imagine being able to roll up your 4K display into a poster tube-sized protective sheath. Even more imaginative: If battery tech make any sort of quantum leap in the same time period (cotton/carbon batteries, perhaps?), that flexible, lightweight display could be truly wireless.

Even more imaginative: if we are now going to have digital displays that are paper thin and wireless batteries made out of cotton/carbon fiber, how long before tablet companies start grouping multiple displays together using a cotton-carbon binding. If this grouping becomes prohibitively expensive for people to purchase outright, they could easily start creating large buildings to hold a good amount in stock at any time and just rent them out to those that need them, for a very small fee. What a true technological revolution that would be! It would look something like this:

lol. like they would allow us to go back to libraries. even if they were made from high-tech, they still prefer to keep it under lock and key, and keep you, the populace, from anything usefull like that.

still....its around the right time for it *points at years old copy of cyberpunk 2015* we got polymer 1 shots and roll up Tv screens. where's my cybertech ^^ i want that lovely little chip that goes at the back of your eye and lets you cycle thru iris colour, the ear ring MP3 player and a nice chipholder implant to let me learn 3 extra languages and some martial arts please
*hands over fistfull of NuYen*

cue the constant search for dark, flat surfaces to put your flexible display down on...

y'know...like displays already have attached...

fact is curved OLED TVs have already bombed in the TV market, the tech has potential applications in mobile devices (for robustness sake) and in relation to screens that may sit better on body contours (like say a lightweight Pip-Boy type thing) but they aren't all that hugely exciting a technology imo.

i don't think the world on the verge of some huge "hey, let's go back to scrolls!" thang...not least because the viewing "ergonomics" of non solid and non flat surfaces...are horrific...

I wonder how long before Apple sues for some obscure IP infringement?

Sleekit:

fact is curved OLED TVs have already bombed in the TV market, the tech has potential applications in mobile devices (for robustness sake) and in relation to screens that may sit better on body contours (like say a lightweight Pip-Boy type thing) but they aren't all that hugely exciting a technology imo.

i don't think the world on the verge of some huge "hey, let's go back to scrolls!" thang...not least because the viewing "ergonomics" of non solid and non flat surfaces...are horrific...

I think these people would love a curved ultrawidescreen monitor. and these people are increasing in numbers rapidly as games continue being hold down by outdated tech which means that PC gamers with new GPU will be able to run it on 3 monitors easily. the only real problem now is bezels. and curved display may just solve that problem. by no means its a solution for everyone, but who is to say we cant have, say, portable TVs that you can fold?

I can totally see some form of wrist mounted device, where you can roll out a screen and have it snap back in place, once you're done with it, like some form of ultra light weight pip-boy/iPad/picture phone thing.

Also, this:

Strazdas:

Sleekit:
*snip*

I think these people would love a curved ultrawidescreen monitor. and these people are increasing in numbers rapidly as games continue being hold down by outdated tech which means that PC gamers with new GPU will be able to run it on 3 monitors easily. the only real problem now is bezels. and curved display may just solve that problem. by no means its a solution for everyone, but who is to say we cant have, say, portable TVs that you can fold?

i will admit that at a desk, with a near enough set up seating position that may be one of the few places its makes "ergonomic" sense to some...if you can handle a fov like that...

Sleekit:

Strazdas:

Sleekit:
*snip*

i will admit that at a desk, with a near enough set up seating position that may be one of the few places its makes "ergonomic" sense to some...if you can handle a fov like that...

you mean a FOV that humans have in real life? because as far as i know humans can handle real life. and with triple monitor you can have good FOV with it being in similar shape to your vision. also dont forget that we are able to turn our head without character turning to look at one side or another too in which case FOV of a single point becomes irrelevant.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here