Evolve Will Have Lots of DLC

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Evolve Will Have Lots of DLC

evolve - jan first look screenshots (11)

Evolve dev Turtle Rock Studios say that the game has been specifically built to accommodate DLC.

DLC talk is part of the inevitable pre (and post) launch marketting spiel for pretty much every triple A title these days, and while Evolve dev Turtle Rock Studios didn't drop any specifics, it did state that the game was being specifically built to accommodate a whole boatload of DLC.

"You know, in Left 4 Dead we could make new environments, but we really didn't have a structure there to make new characters or zombie types, so we were pretty limited on what we could do, DLC-wise," explained Turtle Rock co-founder Chris Ashton. "But with Evolve... we made these modular pieces--the way the whole game fits together means we can make new maps, new environment types, new wildlife, new monsters and hunters, and all of that stuff just plugs into the game."

While I'm sure many of you are groaning at the prospect of $5.99 weapon packs, Ashton stresses that the community will help shape what these DLCs are, and how they will be priced "We're definitely looking to see how the community reacts... It's designed to have a long life--hopefully that works and we get to try a bunch of crazy things with the community after release," he said. "As long as people are into it and the DLC does reasonably well, then we'd like to keep making more."

He did, however, add that "At the end of the day, it's a business and it has to make sense, but we believe that we've built a game that does support that really well--more so than any game ever before."

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 were Turtle Rock's previous games, and they featured a pretty substantial amount of DLC that was released (for the PC at least) absolutely free of charge. However, this was due to Turtle Rock being partnered with Valve, and Valve enforcing its philosophy of free DLC for its games.

Now that Turtle Rock is independent, and especially judging from the way Ashton is talking, I doubt Evolve will be quite as generous with its DLC. It's also worth noting that all Evolve DLC will have timed exclusivity on the Xbox One.

Source: Official Xbox Magazine via GameSpot

So many companies once had a policy of "free DLC" because they felt it was important to the fans to serve them first rather than corporate money lords. DICE, Bungie, Epic... one by one, their staunch promises of free DLC shrived up and died out as dollars were waved in their faces and their integrity eventually found that sweet selling point.

Well, I hope the DLC is good. But more and more this shift has just taught me to NOT buy games at launch and to wait for the inevitable bundled "GOTY" editions for half the price.

Well, I didn't want to buy this game anyways.

See, this is the dlc we should oppose, not what creative assembly is doing with alien: isolation. These people here are unashamed and willing to cut away their game, right infront of gamers, to make more money.

Modular pieces? So you are telling me, you have these pieces, for making monsters, new player models, maps and so forth, you just hit the random button and sell it as DLC. Is that correct? Yeah i can see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. They are basicly outright telling you that they will resell you the same shit again in a different configuration. Its like making a pouncing boomer, looks like a boomer with the hunter moveset (using L4D examples) and charging money for that.

Oh and timed Xbox exclusives? Well you know what Turtle Rock, fuck you and the Horse you rode in on. And take your shitty DLC practice with you.

Trishbot:
So many companies once had a policy of "free DLC" because they felt it was important to the fans to serve them first rather than corporate money lords. DICE, Bungie, Epic... one by one, their staunch promises of free DLC shrived up and died out as dollars were waved in their faces and their integrity eventually found that sweet selling point.

Well, I hope the DLC is good. But more and more this shift has just taught me to NOT buy games at launch and to wait for the inevitable bundled "GOTY" editions for half the price.

That's not the studios fault that free DLC became extinct but the publishers and the console manufacturers. They are the ones that forced many developer into making them purchase items and now most think they would be fools for giving them away.

Getting the GOTY version is always the best way to go about it, not only do you get all the DLC bundled and at a lower price but most all the major bugs get worked out and patched before you get it.

Steven Bogos:

"... It's designed to have a long life--"

He does know that CoD, Halo, & for that matter L4D still exist, right?

We'll see. Ultimately, my stance on buying DLC is that it is only worth it if the base game can stand up well enough on its own. This game is a buy for someone I know, so I guess I'll get to see firsthand.

And when my friends ask me why i refuse to get Evolve, i can simply refer them to that interview.

Games getting DLC after release is one thing, a game developer going on record saying that they are designing thier game to deliver DLC is on a whole other level.

Oh and timed exclusives. Fuck that too.

gigastar:
And when my friends ask me why i refuse to get Evolve, i can simply refer them to that interview.

Games getting DLC after release is one thing, a game developer going on record saying that they are designing thier game to deliver DLC is on a whole other level.

Oh and timed exclusives. Fuck that too.

I dont think they're going to be that bad. Remember, this is the guys that made the Left 4 Dead games. All of the DLC for those were free and was automatically added via updates.

Granted, they are free of Valve's influence now, but hopefully their philosophy on DLC has rubbed off a bit.

Plus if I'm reading this right, it also means that bigger mods are possible too.

The timed shit is annoying, but it's better than full exclusivity, so I tolerate it.

Having played this I have to say that I'm a little disappointed, but also that the game is good enough that I'm still excited for it.

And just like that, I lost interest. This one had my attention, but if it's just geared for literally LOTS of DLC, then I'm thinking that means it's an incomplete game and the people behind it just want to soak me. Well, tough shit.

"As long as people are into it and the DLC does reasonably well, then we'd like to keep making more." You know... this is one of the most blatant "We want money so MOAR DLC" statements I've ever read, I mean I completely understand how "making money" is a must, but this is just ridiculous.

This is the first piece of news I've read about this game, and now ALL I can think of is that they've dismembered the game to make more DLC.

How many monsters are they planning to release from the get go anyway? Just the two or what?

Ok I can accept that DLC exists and even that it may not be such a bad thing, but when developers start talking about DLC for their game before the game is even released I really have to say WTF???

I wish this game was more "borderlands" than "left 4 dead" I like to have a clear endgame

Nice to see a company focusing on improving their means of providing a service to make money. The honesty is lost on the members of the IGC however so don't bother next time.

game has been specifically built to accommodate DLC.

so moneygrubbing by design.

ut we really didn't have a structure there to make new characters or zombie types, so we were pretty limited on what we could do, DLC-wise

translation: expect "2 new zombie skins for 5 dollars" DLCs

make new maps, new environment types, new wildlife, new monsters and hunters, and all of that stuff just plugs into the game."

Yes, we call them updates.

Then again, Rock turtle is rock turtle.

This is how trans simulator DLC looked during steam sale and what you can expect from statements like this

Trishbot:
So many companies once had a policy of "free DLC" because they felt it was important to the fans to serve them first rather than corporate money lords.

No free DLC policy, but rather they used to name it differently.
What we used to call expansions are now sequels
What we used to call DLC are now expansions
What we used to call free patches are now sold as DLC
what we used to call bugfixes are now called patches.

Gundam GP01:

I dont think they're going to be that bad. Remember, this is the guys that made the Left 4 Dead games. All of the DLC for those were free and was automatically added via updates.

and they have said they do not like that and wanted to do things differently now.

This was gonna be my first pre-order in several years too, but now I can safely say "Fuck that" and wait a couple months until after it comes out. I was looking forward to this so much as well. The only thing that could bring me back around is if the "DLC" they release is cheap as chips and actually has some substance and isn't the equivalent of "Horse Armour".

Well, that's fine. I wasn't going to buy it anyway.

Strazdas:

I can take issue with a lot you say, but I'm just going to home in on this.
You seem to wearing some glasses that obscure your vision. The industry didn't suddenly start making shoddy quick sequels, that has pretty much always been a thing, as has bad ports, and many other ills that are apparently new.

Hyper Ultra Street fighter Championship tournament HD dual-shock thunder special edition remix if you get what that is referring to should clue you in that such practices have always been a thing, they merely can deliver them in a more efficient manner is all.

Strazdas:

Gundam GP01:

and they have said they do not like that and wanted to do things differently now.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a source for that.

Strazdas:

game has been specifically built to accommodate DLC.

so moneygrubbing by design.

ut we really didn't have a structure there to make new characters or zombie types, so we were pretty limited on what we could do, DLC-wise

translation: expect "2 new zombie skins for 5 dollars" DLCs

make new maps, new environment types, new wildlife, new monsters and hunters, and all of that stuff just plugs into the game."

Yes, we call them updates.

Then again, Rock turtle is rock turtle.

This is how trans simulator DLC looked during steam sale and what you can expect from statements like this

Trishbot:
So many companies once had a policy of "free DLC" because they felt it was important to the fans to serve them first rather than corporate money lords.

No free DLC policy, but rather they used to name it differently.
What we used to call DLC are now expansions
What we used to call free patches are now sold as DLC
what we used to call bugfixes are now called patches.

Gundam GP01:

Not to be a stickler, but there must be some other items missing from the picture, as I totaled those items up to be $271.28, not $1200 plus.... Still bad, still ridiculous, dont get me wrong... I am just supposing there was some other things offscreen that were added to that as well?

Pandalisk:
How many monsters are they planning to release from the get go anyway? Just the two or what?

They say there will be five playable monsters and I think like seventeen hunters on release.

I don't very much care for this idea. DLC doesn't bother me, but a game made for DLC does. I was going to buy this day one, but I don't see that happening anymore. Unless I get more details.

Vault101:
I wish this game was more "borderlands" than "left 4 dead" I like to have a clear endgame

Isn't this a multiplayer only game though? It's the impression I've been getting at least so I'm not sure what sort of endgame it could really have.

Evolve is being published bye Take Two so excessive DLC was always surely expected just look at Borderlands 2.

Riff Moonraker:

Not to be a stickler, but there must be some other items missing from the picture, as I totaled those items up to be $271.28, not $1200 plus.... Still bad, still ridiculous, dont get me wrong... I am just supposing there was some other things offscreen that were added to that as well?

That game is Train Simulator 2014 and yes, there are over 170 pieces of DLC for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

Currently all of it will set you back at least $3000 USD.

Efrit_:
See, this is the dlc we should oppose, not what creative assembly is doing with alien: isolation. These people here are unashamed and willing to cut away their game, right infront of gamers, to make more money.

On the main topic, its going to continue to happen, so long as people buy it. In fact, this is actually going to get ALOT worse, now, that this seems to be the new "battlefront" between the consoles.

I completely agree about the Alien: Isolation dlc. I dont get what people are complaining about, and this game was already my most looked forward to, and even more so now with an actual trip back to the Nostromo. All you have to do is preorder the game, and you get it free. Folks need to pick their fights, and that one isnt one of them.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Riff Moonraker:

That game is Train Simulator 2014 and yes, there are over 170 pieces of DLC for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

Currently all of it will set you back at least $3000 USD.

Good lord. That is just insane.

*sigh* and so it begins....here's hoping for the best but preparing for the worst v.v

Trishbot:

Free DLC is always nice but I don't demand that they give it away or blame them asking for something in return for quality content. The problem is it's far to easy for them to abuse it. Its also hard these days not to assume the worst intentions because, let's face it, there have been plenty of bad examples. Its even harder to remain optimistic when they flat out state it was made with DLC in mind, that just screams "we're gonna milk dis s***!" which can kill what could have been a promising game. Personally I had no plans to buy it right away and just going to wait and see.

CpT_x_Killsteal:
This was gonna be my first pre-order in several years too, but now I can safely say "Fuck that" and wait a couple months until after it comes out. I was looking forward to this so much as well. The only thing that could bring me back around is if the "DLC" they release is cheap as chips and actually has some substance and isn't the equivalent of "Horse Armour".

Same. This went from 'considering a pre-order' to 'gonna wait a few months and see what happens.'

DLC practices can go diaf.

I never liked Left 4 Dead anyway and since this is pretty much almost the same thing but with prettier graphics I will be passing on this game.

It's not like I have 3 friends around that I could play this with (and they would even games of this type) so there's that as well.

The way they explain it really makes me feel a bit concerned about this. If they really are listening to the community hopefully they tell them just to sell cosmetic packs as DLC and the rest comes with updates, otherwise I can see this getting a bit ridiculous.

gamegod25:
Its even harder to remain optimistic when they flat out state it was made with DLC in mind, that just screams "we're gonna milk dis s***!" which can kill what could have been a promising game. Personally I had no plans to buy it right away and just going to wait and see.

I don't think that designing a game with DLC in mind means they're going to milk it - it could just mean that they designed the game in a modular manner so that it was easy for them to include DLC. Most software projects aspire to be modular as it allows flexibility and usually means that the design is clean.

Made with DLC in mind could also mean that they can drop a hint or two in the regular game that make the DLC feel more closely related. Even if it's something small like referring to a disaster that happened on another base. DLC could let you play through the attack on that base. If it's been mentioned in the first place it stops it feeling so tacked-on.

It might not mean either of the above, but there seems little benefit in writing the game off based on speculation about exactly what a phrase means.

momijirabbit:
Well, I didn't want to buy this game anyways.

Yep, and their DLC push just guaranteed it will never grace my computer or xbox or wii.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here