Halo 3 Easter Egg Found After Seven Years

Halo 3 Easter Egg Found After Seven Years

A birthday message to a Bungie employee's wife remained undiscovered for seven years.

Halo 3 was released for the Xbox 360 just short of seven years ago, and like most video games these days, came with its fair share of "Easter eggs" - hidden little secrets and references that developers slip into the game's code. Most of Halo 3's more obvious Easter eggs have been long found, but there was one that slipped under everyone's radar - until now of course.

"There is one Easter egg in Halo 3 that I don't think anyone has found - I stumbled across it in code a while back. It only happens on a specific day...so good luck," Bungie wrote a few years ago in one of its "Bungie Mail Sack" Q&A sessions. Indeed, players discovered that if you go to Halo 3 Loading Screen on December 25th, and hold down both Thumbsticks, the loading screen will zoom out giving you a wider view of the Halo ring. Now, some ambitious fans over at beyond entertainment have finally discovered the egg - a hidden message that reads "Happy Birthday Lauren!"

You can check out the Easter egg in the video above. While the text is a little hard to make out, if you look closely you can clearly see the birthday greeting.

It's certainly amazing that this secret could go undiscovered for so long, and that both "Lauren" and her husband didn't end up spilling the beans themselves after seven years. Easter eggs are one of the coolest little things about video games, and discovering them is often a fun way for developers to engage with their players.

Whats the best Easter egg you've ever discovered? For me, it has to be the classic "Secret cow level" in Diablo II.

Source: Beyond Entertainment

interesting easter egg

Well it certainly was interesting. I think my Halo 3 loads too fast to see it though, even during Christmas 2012.

And 500,000 views in two days for Halo 3? My it must still have some kind of following.

I saw that the first time I booted up the game. Rather, I glimpsed it but couldn't really make it out and never thought about it again. I figured it was some flavor text or something, like model number on gun textures, or text on a computer screen texture. Never paid it any mind after that.

Evonisia:
Well it certainly was interesting. I think my Halo 3 loads too fast to see it though, even during Christmas 2012.

And 500,000 views in two days for Halo 3? My it must still have some kind of following.

The last few times I've checked, there have been more concurrent Halo 3 players than Halo 4 players.

Pretty cool that it took so long, Halo 3 has more than it's fair share of Easter eggs (some literally) and I'd be willing to bet there's still one or more not known to the general populace.

TheEvilCheese:

Evonisia:

The last few times I've checked, there have been more concurrent Halo 3 players than Halo 4 players.

Pretty cool that it took so long, Halo 3 has more than it's fair share of Easter eggs (some literally) and I'd be willing to bet there's still one or more not known to the general populace.

Depends on when you checked really. Halo 3 had about 10k people online when I went on in October, but then it became the free Game for Gold just before the Xbox One launched, so I imagine many people are on it again. That's even excluding the fact that Halo 3 has nearly sold twice as many copies as Halo 4.

I for one never played my 360 on Christmas day, and I imagine it's the same for plenty of people, so it's no surprise it went undiscovered for so long.

Evonisia:
That's even excluding the fact that Halo 3 has sold twice as many copies as Halo 4.

Where are you getting that figure? Because while Halo 3 is the highest selling of the Halo games(just shy of 12 million), 4 still did a respectable 8+ million copies last time I looked.

Is that a figure from after it went "Games with Gold"? I'm not being snarky or anything, just curious if that's supposition or a little factoid I missed along the way. :)

ZZoMBiE13:

Evonisia:
That's even excluding the fact that Halo 3 has sold twice as many copies as Halo 4.

Where are you getting that figure? Because while Halo 3 is the highest selling of the Halo games(just shy of 12 million), 4 still did a respectable 8+ million copies last time I looked.

Is that a figure from after it went "Games with Gold"? I'm not being snarky or anything, just curious if that's supposition or a little factoid I missed along the way. :)

Oops, I thought I'd put "nearly" in that sentence :-)

As for Games with Gold I'll assume that it counts towards the sales, being sold for nothing is still being sold, right?

Evonisia:

ZZoMBiE13:

Evonisia:

Oops, I thought I'd put "nearly" in that sentence :-)

As for Games with Gold I'll assume that it counts towards the sales, being sold for nothing is still being sold, right?

I guess you could count free downloads as "units", not sure if I could call them "sold", but I don't really make the rules. Who knows, am I right?

I found an old chart from before Halo 4 came out that estimated around 10 million or so for 3, but that wasn't what I'd call a reputable site so it's probably pointless un-data. lol

Cheers.

It's been SEVEN years!?!?!

Reminds me of that one time someone discovered the secret that nobody knew in FFIX.

I was LOOKING for it in the video and had a hard time.

Never would've found it.

*puts away his Indiana Jones hat* :'(

Evonisia:

I'm not much of a fan of shooters anymore and even I still LOVE Halo 3. Seriously good times, invite over a friend and still play splitscreen, or they can bring their own box and play via link.

I have had a lot of fun with that game throughout time. (yes, i caught your tone)

:)

Rather interesting... I don't know if we should be impressed by this or not.

It's like finding some ancient tome it's a gag in a video game.

Ah well.

Denamic:
I saw that the first time I booted up the game. Rather, I glimpsed it but couldn't really make it out and never thought about it again. I figured it was some flavor text or something, like model number on gun textures, or text on a computer screen texture. Never paid it any mind after that.

Hipster. :P

I caught the last part of Lauren's name in that video, but seeing as the ring is still materializing as the words appear, I could barely make it out in the video.

I've found lots of Easter Eggs over the years that are always known and popular, but I think the one that I'm most proud of (and is apparently not that well known) is the Half-Life Gnome in Resistance 3. Or at least that's what my friend and I are assuming it is.

In the mine level, there's a part where you can enter a flooded storage area. There are some lockers off to the side. If you switch to the Auger and look through its sights, you see a bunch of little gnomes all standing next to each other inside the locker. A few days later, Yahtzee did his review of the game and I smiled because I don't think he realizes just how right he is about that game.

Great. This is going to be brought up in the GTA V jetpack hunt.

I can't see shit in that video, Cap'n...

Seven is Bungie's lucky number.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here