Guillermo del Toro: Studios "Not Interested" in Hellboy III

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Guillermo del Toro: Studios "Not Interested" in Hellboy III

Hellboy 3

In a Reddit AMA, director Guillermo del Toro speaks out on what Hellboy III would have been like if it was made, and confirms it's "not on the horizon.""

While Hellboy himself, Ron Perlman, says director Guillermo del Toro "owes it to the world" to finish the Hellboy trilogy, , it seems it really is not happening anytime soon regardless if fans want it. Over on Reddit, del Toro held an AMA (Ask Me Anything) session and for obvious reasons, was asked by fans why he's still not making Hellboy III, since fans have been clamoring for it. Well, del Toro went straight to it and pointed out that studios are not interested in backing it financially.

It is a question that I myself ask of the world many times, but we have gone through basically every studio and asked for financing, and they are not interested. I think that the first movie made its budget back, and a little bit of profit, but then it was very very big on video and DVD. The story repeated itself with the second already, it made its money back at the box office, but a small margin of profit in the release of the theatrical print, but was very very big on DVD and video. Sadly now from a business point of view all the studios know is that you don't have that safety net of the DVD and video, so they view the project as dangerous.

Creatively, I would love to make it. Creatively. But it is proven almost impossible to finance. Not from MY side, but from the studio side. If I was a multimillionaire, I would finance it myself, but I spend all my money on rubber monsters.

In the same AMA, del Toro admits that Hellboy III is not "on the horizon," but did speak out on plot details where he was taking the trilogy-capping film, which is most likely the best thing fans can hope for right now.

Well, you know, we don't have that movie on the horizon, but the idea for it was to have Hellboy finally come to terms with the fact that his destiny, his inevitable destiny, is to become the beast of the Apocalypse, and having him and Liz face the sort of, that part of his nature, and he has to do it, in order to be able to ironically vanquish the foe that he has to face in the 3rd film. He has to become the best of the Apocalypse to be able to defend humanity, but at the same time he becomes a much darker being. It's a very interesting ending to the series, but I don't think it will happen.

I believe that each generation demands a little shift technologically on the effects. For my generation, we experienced a transition from the beauty, the handmade beauty, of Ray Harryhausen's majestic stop-motion, into the CGI animation that we are experiencing now. I believe that it's the duty of every filmmaker and storyteller to try to bring as much reality as physically and economically possible to an FX sequence. I myself am incredibly oriented to physical sets, rather than doing green screen, whenever the sets are physically possible, and I try to always find a physical FX equivalent in a solution to a filmmaking problem, regardless of it having to be a little bit more time consuming or less easy to shoot, I think it's incredibly important to do it, the last movie I just did, Crimson Peak, and in many ways The Strain the series, were executed largely with practical FX, and only in the instances in which you cannot do it with physical FX should you resort to digital FX. They should never be used as a shortcut, as a lazy shortcut. They should always be used when the ultimate solution is to convey that you need.

Well, there you have it, Hellboy fans. But hey, at least this way, we kind of had a little bit of closure on what Hellboy III was going to be, right? Anyone disappointed with this news? And honestly, do you think Hellboy III would have made a dent at the box office?

Source: Reddit via SuperHeroHype

i'd seriously place the original Hellboy as one of the best comicbook/superhero movies ever made...the movies theatres are full of them...and supposedly no one wants to make another one with the original team director/star etc all dying to do it...

this sucks great old one balls...

"Hellboy made a lot of money. Hellboy 2 made a lot of money. But we don't understand how Hellboy 3 would make a lot of money."

I think, given his recent success, and the rise of the 'super hero' movies...
Hellboy 3 COULD workout even BETTER than last time.

These films got me into the comics and I do love me some Del Toro/Perlman... this is grim news... but not surprising.

Tanis:
I think, given his recent success, and the rise of the 'super hero' movies...
Hellboy 3 COULD workout even BETTER than last time.

And given those two things, it's even more baffling that nobody wants to invest.

Plus, Ron Perlman. Who doesn't love Ron Perlman? Aliens, that's who!

"I spend all my money on rubber monsters." I already liked Del Toro a LOT. But my respect for him just soared! And my respect for Hollywood continues to plummet.

With the Avengers cleaning up I dont see how it wouldnt get financed.

If someone will back Antman? Guardians of the Galaxy I love but no one has heard of it. How did it get backing when Hellboy III can't and where is Nova while were asking questions?

It makes no sense to me.

The only reason I can think of why this is risky, Is that this is not a Marvel or DC comics property, and no one wants to compete with the studios already making superhero movies. I would totally see the next Hellboy movie as I currently own and love all 4. (Two of them are animated movies.)

i feel like we need to convince someone like Legendary Pictures or the Weinsteins to make this movie...

if, gawd forbid, Ron Perlman dies without making this...i'm gonna feel like some kind of crime has been committed.

both against him, as a performer, and...and the history of art goddammit.

They should put a kickstarter together. Not sure if it would make enough, but who knows? If enough fans wanted it, I bet it could happen.

acillies45:
They should put a kickstarter together. Not sure if it would make enough, but who knows? If enough fans wanted it, I bet it could happen.

This man gets it. Hell, kickstart a portion of the movie, which saves the studios a bit of money, and then they front the rest. They still get back what they put in, and Del Toro doesn't have to lose out on his beautiful creations.

klaynexas3:

acillies45:

This man gets it. Hell, kickstart a portion of the movie, which saves the studios a bit of money, and then they front the rest. They still get back what they put in, and Del Toro doesn't have to lose out on his beautiful creations.

As amazing as that would be, considering that the last movie's budget pushed past 80 million, I highly doubt that even a record-breaking Kickstarter would produce nearly enough money to well, kickstart much of anything.

Mahorfeus:

klaynexas3:

acillies45:

As amazing as that would be, considering that the last movie's budget pushed past 80 million, I highly doubt that even a record-breaking Kickstarter would produce nearly enough money to well, kickstart much of anything.

Well even if it didn't completely pay for it, it may show the studios that there is a big interest in it. And if not, nothing lost.

dharmaBum0:
"Hellboy made a lot of money. Hellboy 2 made a lot of money. But we don't understand how Hellboy 3 would make a lot of money."

I think what he meant was that the first 2 movies only made a lot of profit through DVD sales, and the DVD market isn't exactly thriving these days, so if he made a third movie he would recoup the money at best.

The problem is honestly is it is like the Hulk movies, they do make their money back but not a lot more, because of this they are not deemed safe bets to create. If you fund a movie for 80 million dollars and you only make 90 or 100 back then you have taken two to three years to make the company a tiny fraction of the original budget as profit. Also people don't seem to like super heroes unless they are nice looking humans trying to save the world and get the girl.

dharmaBum0:

"In a climate where marvel is making money from super hero movies hand over fist, and a space adventure film of a talking raccoon and his buddy tree is the most anticipated movie of the year. How can you not understand!?"

Anyone who didn't go to see Hellboy 1 or 2 in theaters should be ashamed, also on a personal note from me; fuck you.

Two of the best comic movies ever made and their will never be a third because of people having terrible terrible tastes in movies as always. Fucking transformers 4 making so much god damn money pisses me off so much.

Also man hollywood people are as dense as always.

This really is sad. I'm actually really annoyed that subpar super hero movies with thin plots will make mountains of money but this one won't even be given a chance.

I would have seen it, and I haven't seen a movie in theaters in over 3 years.

I also would have seen At the Mountains of Madness, but that too will not be made.

Aw man... and we're in a middle of a "comic book movie boom" at the moment... I mean, if the sequel to Sin City can exist, so should Hellboy III, I say...

*sighs* I must REALLY not get how movies work these days...

Give it time, he may come round to it at some point. It may take a few years though.

Oh come on. Come the fuck on. I loved both Hellboy movies. And the second one felt like a second in a trilogy all the way through. It needs a proper ending.

dharmaBum0:

Because it didn't make a lot of money at the movies, which is where they want it to make money so that the film makes its budget back and then some as soon as possible, as opposed to wait for months for it to come out on DVD and then they get the money back. Basically, it wasn't making enough money fast enough for the studios. Because when a movie does well on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital, a fair amount of that money goes directly into distribution. That includes the manufactures of the discs and case covers, shipping, servers for the digital ones (Although this is nowhere near as expensive as physical copies), the cut that the stores get for selling them, etc. Not as much as the movie industry seems to tell us makes it back to them. Although a lot more gets back to them as they want us to know. But if it makes a profit at the movies, a piss poor amount ends up not going to them.

Ron Perlman isn't getting any younger people! Its's liek a cruel joke of the universe, wankers never die (Justin Bieber) and awesome folks seem to kick the bucket way too soon (Heath Ledger). This is like watching a movie series that gets canned three quarter's of the way through (Young Justice anyone), I like the set pieces but the lack of closure is painful.

Johnny Novgorod:

dharmaBum0:

I think what he meant was that the first 2 movies only made a lot of profit through DVD sales, and the DVD market isn't exactly thriving these days, so if he made a third movie he would recoup the money at best.

Thats the odd thing, the physical media side of movie distribution isn't doing so well but the digital side of it has caught up. With so many places and platforms to buy movies with much greater convenience sales to the customer and to licensing deals to subscription based service providers sales might even exceed the old physical formats in the future.

Goddamnit Hollywood!

We need Hellboy III! As someone said, get a Kickstarter going! I would definitely chip in. Like a lot.

Thanks Netflix

i guess im in the minority here who didnt like the hellboy movies. so i cant say i care if the third one is coming or not.
but the view of hollywood is beyond my comprehension why they dont want to support the movie. did they forget pacific rim? looks like it.

KoudelkaMorgan:
I would have seen it, and I haven't seen a movie in theaters in over 3 years.

I also would have seen At the Mountains of Madness, but that too will not be made.

The main barrier in that is that del Toro was pushing for an R rating, and studios are hesitant to spend over $100 million on an R rated movie. He's said recently that he might've been wrong in that regard, and that he could get it down to PG-13, and he's mentioned that a lot of studios have showed interest in it, so let's see where that goes.

See, this...this business bullshit is why many directors and musicians invest in their own studios. Artists need to run these things. Profit obsessed studios are stifling the collective creativity! Gaaaarrrrgh it's so fustrating i really want to punch a CEO in the eyes!!!!

Xsjadoblayde:
See, this...this business bullshit is why many directors and musicians invest in their own studios. Artists need to run these things. Profit obsessed studios are stifling the collective creativity! Gaaaarrrrgh it's so frustrating I really want to punch a CEO in the eyes!!!!

Yeah that worked out so well the Lucas solo efforts on star wars.

albino boo:

Xsjadoblayde:
See, this...this business bullshit is why many directors and musicians invest in their own studios. Artists need to run these things. Profit obsessed studios are stifling the collective creativity! Gaaaarrrrgh it's so frustrating I really want to punch a CEO in the eyes!!!!

Yeah that worked out so well the Lucas solo efforts on star wars.

Well with some guidance at least. I would prefer not to remember the Lucas clusterfuck. That was just not meant to be. Though i have never been truly invested in it, so it is a biased viewpoint.

I've said before that I think the Hellboy movies are terrible adaptations of the source material. But they're still great movies in their own right and it's a shame that we're not likely to be getting a trilogy out of it.

I'm starting to see Del Toro as a new generation Terry Gilliam.

The guy has a clear vision, a vocal and loyal fan base, a proven track record of mostly profitable films in what are typically niche market genres and he still has to fight tooth and nail to get his movies made.

It's a low down damn dirty shame.

I find it weird that even after Pacific Rim made over $400 million even without an established franchise (and untold millions in merchandise), studios are hesitant to give del Toro a high-budget movie. Pacific Rim was a way bigger risk than Hellboy 3, and it was made on a $190 million budget.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here