Study Claims Smelling Farts Could Prevent Cancer and Other Diseases

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scientists at the University of Exeter claim that the smell of farts can offer health benefits when it comes to cancer, diabetes, stroke and other diseases.

In what could possibly be one of the weirdest science/health news I've heard in a long while, scientists out of the University of Exeter claim that smelling farts, could prevent cancer and other diseases. And yes this isn't a joke post or something someone found on humor websites. In a press release by the university, Dr. Mark Wood mentions farts as a "healthcare hero."

Although hydrogen sulfide is well known as a pungent, foul-smelling gas in rotten eggs and flatulence, it is naturally produced in the body and could in fact be a healthcare hero with significant implications for future therapies for a variety of diseases.

While farts can be noxious in large doses, the scientists who conducted the study think that smelling it in small doses can help lower the risk of cancer, strokes, heart attacks, arthritis, and dementia by preserving mitochondria. Not only that, but researchers are even concocting their own compounds to emulate a fart's "health benefits." According to a study by Professor Matt Whiteman in the Medicinal Chemistry Communications journal, "We have exploited this natural process by making a compound, called AP39, which slowly delivers very small amounts of this gas specifically to the mitochondria," and adds, their "results indicate that if stressed cells are treated with AP39, mitochondria are protected and cells stay alive."

Unfortunately, the study doesn't go into specific detail into just how much flatulence one must be exposed to in order to reap these benefits. But given farts are free, and assuming you have a high tolerance for toxic smells, why not smell them all? So, the next time you want to rip a big one in an enclosed space, show the people around you this post to let them know you're just helping them live a little longer.

Source: University of Exeter via TIME

Alex Co:
So, the next time you want to rip a big one in an enclosed space, show the people around you this post to let them know you're just helping them live a little longer.

What point is there in living longer if the thing keeping you alive makes you wish for death?

Oh science, the things you do sometimes.

Not worth it.

I seen this on reddit.

Maybe, just maybe if I fart really hard I can cure cancer. It will be a huge risk for my anus but it will be worth it to see statues of my anus erected in memoriam.

Maybe have an entire park dedicated to those statues too. Come on down to ass park.

Eh, I think I'll take this with a grain of salt.

All these scientific articles that talk about "it's healthier for you" or "will make you live longer" makes it sound like we all should have died off a long time ago.

In the future, maybe there'll exist a system for payment/donation/collection for farts such as currently exists for blood/sperm. Quality tests, questionnaires, "fart drives" at your local health center etc.

Usually I'm not this crude. And I'm sure most of this is based on proper science.

But this study can go fuck itself.

First thought: Who thought up this idea and decided to test it!?

Second thought: Would anyone want to consume a fart in pill form?

Third thought: Thunderpants could save the world!

Saving my wifes life, one pissed off look at a time.

Sounds like Eric Cartman has infiltrated some cancer research lab.

Vareoth:
Usually I'm not this crude. And I'm sure most of this is based on proper science.

Since none of the sources provided a link to an actual study that I could find, it's impossible to determine if this is based on proper science or not, and I would never assume it is with something like this. I've seen too many bullshit nutrition and health studies in my time to ever take an article like this at face value, and no one else should either.

Is this Escapist or the Onion?

Vivi22:

Vareoth:

Since none of the sources provided a link to an actual study that I could find, it's impossible to determine if this is based on proper science or not, and I would never assume it is with something like this. I've seen too many bullshit nutrition and health studies in my time to ever take an article like this at face value, and no one else should either.

Yea, since I didn't feel like conducting any more research on this I just gave them the benefit of the doubt. There was also a slight hint of sarcasm intended. But that doesn't translate well.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if this study was a load of pseudoscientific nonsense.

So basically, cancer is caused because everyone holds back their farts all the time?

Ok that is a great photo!

OT- Err yeah good luck trying to convince other to cotinue on with this reseach.

Huh? Where does the study claim that smelling farts will do anything?

As far as I got it, they discovered that a certain chemical compound - which happens to be in farts - can prevent cancer if it is applied to the mitochondria. These are puny parts of cells. I don't see how smelling is related to that.

That would be like saying "eating stones is healthy for your bones, because bones contain calcium and stones do too!"

... Damn it, Escapist. I got click-baited, didn't I? If you want to report on science stuff, maybe you should stop making up things?

Edit: Never mind. TIME did it first. Gods... What the internet is going to journalism is horrible.

Exterminas:
Huh? Where does the study claim that smelling farts will do anything?

As far as I got it, they discovered that a certain chemical compound - which happens to be in farts - can prevent cancer if it is applied to the mitochondria. These are puny parts of cells. I don't see how smelling is related to that.

That would be like saying "eating stones is healthy for your bones, because bones contain calcium and stones do too!"

... Damn it, Escapist. I got click-baited, didn't I? If you want to report on science stuff, maybe you should stop making up things?

Edit: Never mind. TIME did it first. Gods... What the internet is going to journalism is horrible.

Eating calcium DOES benefit your health. Rocks are probably best to avoid eating, given the intestinal damage that would follow, but it is healthy to consume calcium rich foods.

I have also heard that picking your nose and eating it helps your immune system since germs and viruses get trapped in the mucus in there. Strange how all these nasty impolite habits are actually good for you.

There you go everyone, if you want to prevent cancer then avoid water bottles, birth control pills, paint, babies, the outside world, and keep up your daily regiment of fart smelling. Then probably get cancer anyway, because life hates you.

We all die. You just have to pick your poison.

Well, so I am actually improving my wife's health every night? One could say I'm a hero.

What. On. Earth?

Now this is just plain crazy and weird.

I'm assuming the inspiration for this study came from some scientist giving their partner a 'Dutch oven' and after saying it was for their own good being told to 'Prove it'

I guess the tongue twister "He's a smart feller, he felt smart" makes a lot more sense now.

A long life smelling of shit? I'd rather die young. Who comes up with this stuff? I can't help but imagine a bunch of scientists in white coats farting in each others face.

I wouldnt be surprised if in 5 years they say it actually raises the chance of you getting cancer. Either that or its good for you in small doses. lol

No me gusta! That is something I do not care how many facts you try and shove into my throat will I ever accept as reality, no, no AND HELL NAW!

Wait, what? Breathing in particles of fecal matter is good for you? Since when?

All the fart you smell wouldn't undo the damage of eating one big mac.

So, in the future, the Dutch Oven may be as scientifically accepted as Chemotherapy? What a world...

This may not be a joke, but I'm still going to laugh at it.

"Smell farts! It cures cancer!"

I feel bad for the people funding this study. It's so easy to say without context that "studies show that _____ may help fight ______." Maybe it does, or maybe it helps kill you before you get cancer or die of something else. That may be the angle they were going for.

It IS still in preclinical testing, even if the results are promising. It'll probably need a lot more testing after these tests bear data. Besides, I'm not sure the phrase "healthcare hero" denotes a lack of bias...

Vivi22:

Vareoth:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24755204 here is the follow up on pub med(I can't find the original), but you don't need it to debunk this. You just need to read the University news piece.

The researcher stated we are using a Hydrogen sulfide compound to extend the life of mitochondria in cells, which is fine.
University Journalist & Time point out that Hydrogen sulfide is found in farts and smells like rotten eggs, which is fine.
The escapist states that they are saying smelling farts could make you live longer. Which is so far out in left field and I have no idea where it came from.

Alex Co:

Scientists at the University of Exeter claim that the smell of farts can offer health benefits when it comes to cancer, diabetes, stroke and other diseases.

This is absolutely false. They did not claim any of this, you should read your own links again.

I have a hard time believing this, seeing as my family isn't much on the healthy side, but boy do they fart a lot.

The Hungry Samurai:
Saving my wifes life, one pissed off look at a time.

And you sir, win this thread with that post. :D

OT: I'm sure this is true but... it's not worth it in the long run. Who the hell did they get to test this out?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here