Super Smash Bros. 4's New Challengers Are Fire Emblem's Robin And Lucina

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Super Smash Bros. 4's New Challengers Are Fire Emblem's Robin And Lucina

More importantly, a certain captain with a notorious punch was confirmed to be returning in the new game.

With an exclusive live stream event, Nintendo just revealed a few new fighter introductions for its upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. Fire Emblem fans will be excited to know that not just one, but two new characters from the franchise will be joining the all-star beat em up. Lucina, Chrom, and Robin, along with Robin's gender-swapped counterpart, will be new playable characters in the next version of Super Smash Bros.

But more importantly, long-time fans of the series will be relieved to know that the game's best character will be making a return. That's right, Captain Falcon, of F-Zero fame, will be bringing his signature Falcon PUNCH to the series once more.

Check out the gallery of all three newly announced fighters below:

It's unclear if Chrom and the female version of Robin will be their own separate characters, or just simple "skin" options for Lucina and male Robin, though the later certainly seems to be a lot more likely - especially considering that female Robin shares the same character page with male Robin, and Chrom doesn't have one. A rather cool reveal trailer was put together for the new characters, which you can check out above.

Game developer Masahiro Sakurai previously stated that he was getting near "the bottom of the barrel" in regards to new character announcements, so don't be expecting too many more new fighters.

Robin, Chrom and Lucina are from the 3DS's Fire Emblem: Awakening, while previous Fire Emblem characters Marth and Ike featured primarily in the older titles Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance respectively.

Source: Nintendo

Man, the official site is slammed right now.

Yay! I have no idea who these people are. :D
Well, expect for the Captain.
Me thinks it's about high time I played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

That's pretty awesome! Chrom, Lucina, and Robin! I think this makes up for ditching my boy Roy (Marth and Ike can go play in the corner).

fight me in space:
Ridleyfags

People still want Ridley, really?

Story:

Yay! I have no idea who these people are. :D
Well, expect for the Captain.
Me thinks it's about high time I played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

You should. It's really good.

OT: No Ness or Lucas yet?

Wait, Lucina is her own character? from the look of the trailer, I thought she was going to be a alt. Skin for Marth.
Still hyped as shit though, I really wasn't looking forward to Shulk...

FUCKROBIN'SINTHEGAMEHOLYFUCKINGSHITCOOLESTGAMEEVER.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system... I really liked Fire Emblem: Awakening

YES! HELL YES! HELL FUCKING YES! Great additions to the smash line up, and two of my favorite characters from the game I've been obsessing over for months!

I predicted Lucina and Chrom reveal at the same time but I didn't expect Robin also :O

Fucking awesome, I am so excited! I don't care if Lucina is a Marth clone or a skin, I will main the shit out of her!

Yes, Robin and Lucina are joining the battle and the cap is coming back. although knowing the internet I fell really sorry for Lucina

Story:

Ya, I'm trying to get on the site to see the picture but it won't load for me.

EyeReaper:
Wait, Lucina is her own character? from the look of the trailer, I thought she was going to be a alt. Skin for Marth.
Still hyped as shit though, I really wasn't looking forward to Shulk...

FUCKROBIN'SINTHEGAMEHOLYFUCKINGSHITCOOLESTGAMEEVER.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system... I really liked Fire Emblem: Awakening

I KNOW RIGHT?!?! I CAN'T STOP SPAZZING RIGHT NOW!

Ahahahaha, yes! Too me my loyal troops!

Is Chrom a new character, Final Smash for Robin, Alt Skin for Lucina, or what? Couldn't really tell.

Either way, this is awesome news. Roster is looking awesome.

Looks like the future doesn't belong to Shulk either...

HOLYFUCKROBINWIN!

I knew at least one Fire Emblem awakening character was going to make the roster but for Robin to make it, that totally caught me off guard. Now i'm super hyped. Now lets hope that this many Fire Emblem characters bring more attention to the series like what Marth and Roy did in Melee.

Well played Nintendo, Well Played indeed.

Still no Bayonetta. D:

But yay Captain Falcon! And I should get round to playing Fire Emblem at some stage.

Neat, looks like Robin will be using my favorite weapon, the Levin Sword.

Edit: Well, that Robin + Levin Swaord pic is gone, maybe it won't be in the game.

HolyFuckCaptainFalcon

I don't even know, or realistically care who the other two (three?) are.

The Cap is back, and this is all that matters.

Story:

fight me in space:
Ridleyfags

Let me show you Miiverse.

Also there are people pissed off that Goku wasn't revealed?

Upon closer inspection I think Lucina may actually be a clone of Marth whose moveset resembles Roy's from Melee. Look at the jig she does in her neutral stance. Could it be that Roy will be an alt skin for Lucina?

What I hope is the ability to use your own 'robin' in the game. But I'm already sold now. Too bad I'm getting it on the 3DS, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Also...

Fappy:
I predicted Lucina and Chrom reveal at the same time but I didn't expect Robin also :O

Because I think it was supposed to be kind of sort of you in a way. But I'm happy they ditched that and showed he/she really is his/her own person.

tf2godz:
Yes, Robin and Lucina are joining the battle and the cap is coming back. although knowing the internet I fell really sorry for Lucina

Story:

Ya, I'm trying to get on the site to see the picture but it won't load for me.

Your better off going on Youtube honestly.

I always forget that FE:Awakening actually has a main character who isn't me.

...*sees the Falcon*
Good Sakurai, good. One cannot have a Smash game without the mighty FALCON!
Long may he pawnch his foes to their demise. >:D

Oh, and I guess new characters are good too. *only cares that his Falcon is back*
Now let's hope he's not nerfed as badly as he was in Brawl.

Dragonbums:

Story:

fight me in space:
Ridleyfags

Let me show you Miiverse.

Also there are people pissed off that Goku wasn't revealed?

Lol wat?
Look, I want Spyro the Dragon really, really badly. But even I know when to have realistic expectations.

hickwarrior:
What I hope is the ability to use your own 'robin' in the game. But I'm already sold now. Too bad I'm getting it on the 3DS, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Also...

Fappy:

Because I think it was supposed to be kind of sort of you in a way. But I'm happy they ditched that and showed he/she really is his/her own person.

Too bad you can't customize Robin. My fem-Avatar looked a lot cooler than Robin XD

Okay, so I actually love this announcement. It seems pretty much confirmed now that they will offer vastly different skins for fighters, which hopefully means they bring in some fan favourites in form of skins for existing fighters rather then their own. And I know some people would be greatly offended if Falco/Starwolf would end up being Fox skins, but screw them, that's what I say. I'd rather see them tweak and balance their roster then trying to make every slightly changed clone from previous games work for this one.

Huh. I actually didn't see that this had been released already as official Escapist News. If I had known a featured article was going to be writen already, I probably would have just brought my info over here.

My money seems to be on Lucina being a Marth skin, honestly. Either that, or I need to go watch the videos already released during the demo and tournaments on Marth, to see how much they changed him around, because she performs a heck of a lot like Marth does in Brawl. But she does have her own character page while Marth lacks his, so maybe I'm just dead wrong. Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin would be 4 characters from Fire Emblem; I wonder how many more characters they intend to add.

I suspected the same with Chrom to Ike, but it looks like I was wrong, and that he's part of Robin's Final Smash. I thought I recognized Great Aether, while an allied Robin kept attacking for additional damage (and hype), but mistakes are made.

Davroth:
Okay, so I actually love this announcement. It seems pretty much confirmed now that they will offer vastly different skins for fighters, which hopefully means they bring in some fan favourites in form of skins for existing fighters rather then their own. And I know some people would be greatly offended if Falco/Starwolf would end up being Fox skins, but screw them, that's what I say. I'd rather see them tweak and balance their roster then trying to make every slightly changed clone from previous games work for this one.

I'm not sure exactly how to feel about this, myself. A lot of people saw a space furry and immediately just screamed clone, but anyone who actually played Fox, Falco and Wolf could sure as heck point out all of them handling much much differently from each other. Brawl actually didn't have too many clones, especially compared to Melee. And if this anouncement was proclaiming that, then how exactly does this explain Luigi and Toonlink, who are just as much of clones of Mario and Regular Link?

Honestly... I'm not as sick hyped for this as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, seeing the Cap again is great, Robin is surprising, and HOLYGODYESLUCINA, but I'm kinda disappointed with the moveset for Robin and since Lucina is obviously a Marth clone I'm still wondering why she didn't just replace Marth to begin with. Also, that last sentence of Chrom's... I think I now know how old school DMC fans felt about the new Dante scene with the wig.

To all those saying that's the canon Robin, they are including some customisation I think, so you may be able to recrate your personal Robin.

Not sure if Lucina has her own move sets or has cloned moves from other Fire Emblem characters. Hope there will be further details on these new and returning entries (I can hear the squealing of many happy Captain Falcon fans right now). Until then, the Super Smash Bros website has been updated.

www.smashbros.com/us

Also, I did some research on a previous leak mentioned awhile back.

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros

The video does say Chrom is in the game, but it looks like he might be an alt or an assist trophey. Palutena is in and Greninja from Pokemon X & Y are in (unless there is another Pokemon X & Y entry yet to be revealed). So does this mean that Shulk and Chorus Men are the next new reveals? If so, as playable characters, assist trophies, or 1/2 one and 1/2 the other?

That whole trailer was really cool.
The return of the Cap, along with the more... unexpected choices of character for FE:A. Neat. Is Chrom being part of Robin's final smash or something?

hazabaza1:
Neat. Is Chrom being part of Robin's final smash or something?

It's weighing pretty high in that direction, yes. I put my wager before on him being an Ike Recolor, but there's a decent chance Lucina's not even a Marth recolor, so my money's worthless.

So we finally get Marth vs. Rule 63 Marth.

We all knew it was coming st some point.

FillerDmon:

hazabaza1:
Neat. Is Chrom being part of Robin's final smash or something?

It's weighing pretty high in that direction, yes. I put my wager before on him being an Ike Recolor, but there's a decent chance Lucina's not even a Marth recolor, so my money's worthless.

I think if anything Lucina will more more like the new Roy rather than a recolour. Showing off her gameplay was a major part of the trailer, and she's got her own page on the Smash website. Seeing Chrom and possibly Roy being recolours even if they aren't new characters would be cool but looking at some of the other alternate outfits we've seen I doubt that'll be happening.

I know they're fan favourite, but I'm not big on Lucina/Chrom, I prefer to have Tharja. :(

Fappy:

Too bad you can't customize Robin. My fem-Avatar looked a lot cooler than Robin XD

Mine is way cuter than default!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or