Great Britain Wants to Build its Own Spaceport by 2018

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Great Britain Wants to Build its Own Spaceport by 2018

Virgin Galactic WhiteKnightTwo 310x

New facility would rival Spaceport America in New Mexico, and Spaceport Sweden.

In what would be the second major commercial spaceport outside of the United States, plans for a facility somewhere in Great Britian have been set in motion.

Sky News broke the list of eight potential spaceport sites across the pond, with the list expected to be made official tomorrow.

Six of the eight proposed sites (Campbeltown, Kinloss, Leuchars, Lossiemouth, Prestwick and Stornoway) are in Scotland, which is about to vote on an independence referendum in September. The other two sites are in Wales (Llanbedr), and England (Newquay).

The possibility of Scotland's independence could shift the site choice to less uncertain choices.

The UK is quickly becoming one of the world's more dominant forces in the space industry. The sector wants eight percent of the world's total space enterprise/exploration market by 2020, and the industry is now a generating about $9 billion in revenue per year.

Private space enterprise, fueled by the likes of SpaceX, is taking off like a rocket, but commercial spaceflight has yet to be fully realized. cleared some red tape with the FAA.

Source: Sky News

GREETINGS READERS

I am going to drop a Destiny beta code into the comments here before the end of the hour. This isn't a contest or anything, just keep an eye open for the code.

And if you snag the code? Please post up saying as much. Thanks!
-Devin Connors

So, when the referendum fails, Scotland's new big project can be launching people into space. This I can get behind.

I'm only going to get behind this if it's for the sole purpose of launching all the chavs onto another planet.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
I'm only going to get behind this if it's for the sole purpose of launching all the chavs onto another planet.

What give those people a new planet that has none of the problems we have currently, I say they would have it better. Mainly since they won't have to war or nukes. Also they would have new resources which could make anyone who owned it rich. I say just stick them here and let other people go somewhere better.

By 2018? Ambitious. Achievable, but would take more effort than I think is likely that this project will attract.

Killer_tom:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

What give those people a new planet that has none of the problems we have currently, I say they would have it better. Mainly since they won't have to war or nukes. Also they would have new resources which could make anyone who owned it rich. I say just stick them here and let other people go somewhere better.

I think you've grossly underestimated the capacity for human conflict...

Killer_tom:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Plus, they'll just want to be moved to a bigger planet once they have another kid.

OT: I think it's great that, as a country, we're slashing vital public services such as the NHS and police force in the name of austerity, and at the same time embarking on building a spaceport for no guaranteed profit whatsoever. Brilliant work.

Dear GOD I just want someone to get into space already. Please? Living on different planets? It'd be awesome!

Us? Build a spaceport?

It's gonna be a bit shit isn't it. I can tell.

Get the lads from Top Gear to help, then at least it'll make for good TV.

Daystar Clarion:
Us? Build a spaceport?

No way we are going to build it. We will just send the contract to China or Germany to build it for us. Honestly i hope they allow British engineers/companies to build it.

Here's the Destiny beta code!

P**-XGK-T97 (Hint: ** = Initials of Black Flag frontman)

Redemption instructions: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136030-Destiny-Beta-Code-Giveaway

If you snag the code, please post up and say so! Happy hunting!
-Devin Connors

Kungfu_Teddybear:

The "B Ship" is already under construction...

(a coconut for the first person who gets the reference)

Wow look at this shiny new Spaceport I can't wait to... oh no wait never mind, the ship is broken down. Gonna have to catch the replacement bus service.

Devin Connors:

Redemption instructions: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136030-Destiny-Beta-Code-Giveaway

-Devin Connors

I put the code in (DK), but got an "invalid" response, so I'm guessing someone has already snagged it. And man that was some obscure trivia to find. Do you have any idea how common "Black Frog" is? In addition to the band, I got a unrelated inde recording studio in the UK, A beer, and a programming application.

Also, is this okay with Escapist? This doesn't strike me as something they would automatically be okay with in one of their news articles.

The Gentleman:
So, when the referendum fails, Scotland's new big project can be launching people into space. This I can get behind.

it's probably more like "so where do we site this inevitable accident zone then ?" tbth...

Its going to end as everything does at the moment. Just another thing for the UK goverment to turn around and say we cant have if we vote yes. Personally, I really don't care about the spaceport. Build it in England, Wales or Bosnia for all I care. Just please don't use it as a political crowbar.

The Gentleman:

Devin Connors:

-Devin Connors

I put the code in (DK), but got an "invalid" response, so I'm guessing someone has already snagged it. And man that was some obscure trivia to find. Do you have any idea how common "Black Frog" is? In addition to the band, I got a unrelated inde recording studio in the UK, A beer, and a programming application.

Also, is this okay with Escapist? This doesn't strike me as something they would automatically be okay with in one of their news articles.

Nonsense, Black Flag: Henry Rollins : HR.... But i got a "sorry that code has already been redeemed" message, so someone was faster than me....
I joined just for that :(

Ylla:
Nonsense, Black Flag: Henry Rollins : HR.... But i got a "sorry that code has already been redeemed" message, so someone was faster than me....
I joined just for that :(

Ah... I misread the hint. Not helping was the existence of such a band by the misspelled name, although I'm sure any combination of "black+noun" would probably have the same result.

Needless to say, not a rock music aficionado. I prefer opera...

The Gentleman:

The letters were HR (Henry Rollins).

The Escapist is giving away Destiny beta codes all week, so we are trying to cook up more creative ways of giving them away than just dumping the codes on Twitter. The code has zero to do with the post (no weird advertising/marketing attachment whatsoever). I write a few news posts every day, so it was just a matter of picking one at random to drop the code in.

-Devin Connors

nope, we are too busy pissing away money on bullshit HIGH SPEED RAILWAY, or simply just goin into the pockets of greedy pedo politicians, and 2018...... am i missing somthinG ? A spaceport id assume for be for space travel......

Devin Connors:
The letters were HR (Henry Rollins).

The Escapist is giving away Destiny beta codes all week, so we are trying to cook up more creative ways of giving them away than just dumping the codes on Twitter. The code has zero to do with the post (no weird advertising/marketing attachment whatsoever). I write a few news posts every day, so it was just a matter of picking one at random to drop the code in.

-Devin Connors

Ah... Sorry, about that. Spammers and advertisers in the forums have been getting more creative as of late (not helped by some of the third party advertising on this site), so my BS detector started to get some false positives.

The Gentleman:
Ah... Sorry, about that. Spammers and advertisers in the forums have been getting more creative as of late (not helped by some of the third party advertising on this site), so my BS detector started to get some false positives.

So what you're saying is being a Bullsh*t Detector is...

[dons sunglasses]

...your Destiny?

The Gentleman:

Ah... I misread the hint. Not helping was the existence of such a band by the misspelled name, although I'm sure any combination of "black+noun" would probably have the same result.

Black Flag is punk, which i dont think forms part of the rock genre, or maybe it does....
And there's a thing called rock opera and symphonic metal. Nightwish and Therion are perfect examples.

Slightly OT: Have you seen Elite Dangerous? Its a british space sim, imho right now its kicking Star Citizen's bum.

More OT: As far as i know we're like 50 years away of making profit of space in a form that is not tourism. Or maybe they mean transportation, the actual concept of "commercial spaceflight" is foreign to me. Its like the Commercial Spaceflight Federation thingy (is actually real?)?

I wouldn't mind it being in Leuchars. Just across the river from where I am (Dundee). Put it alongside what will by that time be the Army base there.

Devin Connors:

The Gentleman:

So what you're saying is being a Bullsh*t Detector is...

[dons sunglasses]

...your Destiny?

In an coincidental twist, it's actually my job (attorney)...

Well, we do other things, but a not inconsiderable amount of the job description is sifting through crap to figure out what's real and what's BS.

Ylla:

The Gentleman:

Black Flag is punk, which i dont think forms part of the rock genre, or maybe it does....
And there's a thing called rock opera and symphonic metal. Nightwish and Therion are perfect examples.

I tend to use the term "rock" very liberally to essentially mean "drums, base and lead guitar being the primary instruments," so it can pretty much encompass everything from some country to some orchestral

Slightly OT: Have you seen Elite Dangerous? Its a british space sim, imho right now its kicking Star Citizen's bum.

I had heard of it and saw the E3 trailer. Both look interesting and going solely off the trailers and play footage so far, Elite Dangerous grabs my attention the most at the moment, but at the same time, I care more about the final product 6 months after launch than I do about demos. Both hold promise, but until launch, I can't say for sure.

One of these days, someone is going to make a space sim and actually have an option that puts some of your system information on a second screen (fuel, targeting information, etc.), and it will be glorious...

Andy Shandy:
I wouldn't mind it being in Leuchars. Just across the river from where I am (Dundee). Put it alongside what will by that time be the Army base there.

It has to be on the Atlantic side not the North Sea. Launching over the western seaboard is the only option because there is whole lot of nothing there. Launching form Leuchars means it will still be low enough to do some damage over populated areas.

Daystar Clarion:
Us? Build a spaceport?

It will graffiti on it after a week of it being built :')

Because if Britain can't rebuild her Empire on Earth, she will damn well build it beyond the edges of the known solar system. Rule Britannia Galactica!

Killer_tom:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

This is one key aspect of the end-game of corporate capitalism on earth. The wealthy wish to escape the earth they had a large part in destroying in secular rapture-style, while the rest of us get to be "left behind" on what was once the earth becoming more and more of a hell on earth.

Although that's the desire and what the wealthy are moving toward, it's more likely they'll fail - life away from earth is strange and unexpected, and no amount of hubris and arrogance will help them. But the analysis in 2014 may be a lot different than the analysis in 2034, depending on what happens in the intervening years.

We need to make sure the people who destroy earth get what's coming to them, not get to fly away to some other place they'll end up destroying the same way.

The only reason for a spaceport that far north is for polar orbiting sats and suborbital flights. There are already enough spaceports for suborbital flights and there is already a fully equipped polar orbit spaceport that serves commercial interests. This means the UK govt is either really interested in launching a shit pot of its own military SATs from an actual spaceport, or this is merely an attempt for a no vote on the referendum. Or both. But it certainly will never be profitable.

ravenshrike:
The only reason for a spaceport that far north is for polar orbiting sats and suborbital flights. There are already enough spaceports for suborbital flights and there is already a fully equipped polar orbit spaceport that serves commercial interests. This means the UK govt is either really interested in launching a shit pot of its own military SATs from an actual spaceport, or this is merely an attempt for a no vote on the referendum. Or both. But it certainly will never be profitable.

The smart thing would be to build it in a hold over from there Colonial days.

and if there serious I don't think the politicians realize why the US/Russia launches space craft out of Florida/Southern Kazakhstan and not Alaska/Siberia.

If they're saying 2018 then it'll be delayed until 2044 at least and go about forty times over budget.

Goddammit. Don't they remember "The Quatermass Experiment"!? Bad things happen when British rockets go into space!
But on a more serious note, as people have already mentioned, it's waaaaay too north to be sensible in Scotland. Even Cornwall's a bit too north, but not even to the same extent. It's definitely a stunt to get a 'no' from the Scots on the referendum. Which in theory I agree with, but they could at least refrain from giving me so much false hope with things like this.

i vote for either kinloss or lossiemouth they are both right next to elgin and that is where my grannie lives so can go make a 2 for 1 visit

that being said they will probably choose something further south it might be nice up there but its a real pain to get to by road so moving big things up there would have to rely on ships or planes and might not end up being as cost affective as just putting something on the back of a big lorry and taking your time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here