PSA: Last Day to Submit Open Internet Comments to the FCC - Update

PSA: Last Day to Submit Open Internet Comments to the FCC - Update

South Park Time Warner Cable social

Get those final comments into the FCC today!

Update: The comment deadline has been extended until midnight on Friday, July 18 due to FCC server issues. In the hours before the original deadline was to pass last night, an overwhelming number of comments were submitted, causing the site's servers to crash.

As of yesterday, the FCC had over 677,000 comments on hand relating to its net neutrality proposal. (Update Source: re/code)

Original Story: Two months ago, the FCC opened its virtual doors to the masses, taking public comments on "Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet."

The 60-day window for such comments ends tomorrow.

Netizens across the country took to the FCC site to make their voices heard, and over 205,000 comments have been filed since May 15th. If you're not among the hundreds of thousands who have sent opinions to the FCC already, time is running out.

Once the comment period expires tomorrow, a secondary "reply comments" window will start, with an end date of September 10.

In a nutshell, the open Internet/net neutrality movement is about maintaining a level playing field online -- ensuring that all persons and companies have access to the same bandwidth and network speed. The "fast lane" proposals being touted by ISPs like Comcast and Verizon would offer higher amounts of bandwidth and access so long as premiums were paid (see: Netflix).

So however you feel about net neutrality, make your voice heard. Send the FCC an email (openinternet@fcc.gov), or submit a comment through the FCC website

Civics! Government! Internet! Huzzah!

Devin Connors:
The "fast lane" proposals being touted by ISPs like Comcast and Verizon would offer higher amounts of bandwidth and access so long as premiums were paid (see: Netflix).

No, the the "fast lane" proposals are about letting the current speed held as long as premiums are paid, and throttling the speed of everyone else.

Regulations allowing inequality, won't actually make a bandwith wider.

"We have heard you, and have taken your comments and criticisms very seriously. With that said, we will still be going ahead with our current fast lane plans. We thank you for your support in this endeavor and hope that you will join us in making the internet a better place for all of us."

- The FCC at some point in the near future.

We cant stop them, and they know it. This whole thing was just to mitigate whining after they do it ("Well we tried our best!"). This was never about us or making things better. It was about making more money for Time Warner and their ilk.

Hey, thanks for the reminder. Submitted.

Mcoffey:
We cant stop them, and they know it. This whole thing was just to mitigate whining after they do it ("Well we tried our best!"). This was never about us or making things better. It was about making more money for Time Warner and their ilk.

While I respect your cynicism and won't say it is unwarrented, neither is this a foregone conclusion. SOPA was successfully defeated a couple years back ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_SOPA_and_PIPA ). If folks register their disapproval, this could well swing the same way.

*shrug* For folks on the fence about submitting, you've got very little to lose. You are already sitting at a computer. You just click a link...

You know what? Look, I've put the link here >> http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=q0391

Now you don't even have to search for it.

It is, of course, the reader's prerogative to follow through at this point, or not. There is a tension between cynicism and hope that no post can resolve. At the end of the day, though, what can apathy ever accomplish?

Netizens across the country took to the FCC site to make their voices heard, and over 205,000 comments have been filed since May 15th

That's a lot of comments...

...that the FCC will ignore. But it is kind of difficult reading through them all when you have a big bag of money blocking your monitor.

I'm typing out an e-mail and hoping for the best (better to try than to not have tried at all, right?) though I'm not sure what to say. I'm also trying not to sound threatening, as that probably won't help...

EDIT: Posted... and what's with all the negativity around here? C'mon people, grow a backbone!

Probably won't do anything. Too many people bought off to make a change.

What's the point? They're just going to do whatever the fuck they want to do anyway. None of this open comments portion of the circus was ever meant to make anyone change their minds.

Did you think we live in a democracy? We live in an oligarchy. And those in control of this country made up their minds about this subject long ago.

I submitted mine months ago.
As someone with some professional experience in the computer networking business, I expect it to be ignored entirely.

Actually that isn't fair; I expect EVERYONE who isn't a shill for the cable oligopoly to be ignored.

If you really want things to change then make lots of money, buy lobbyist, have employees appointed to government positions, and sue sue sue when things dont go your way.

Elijah Newton:
Hey, thanks for the reminder. Submitted.

Mcoffey:

While I respect your cynicism and won't say it is unwarrented, neither is this a foregone conclusion. SOPA was successfully defeated a couple years back ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_SOPA_and_PIPA ). If folks register their disapproval, this could well swing the same way.

*shrug* For folks on the fence about submitting, you've got very little to lose. You are already sitting at a computer. You just click a link...

You know what? Look, I've put the link here >> http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=q0391

Now you don't even have to search for it.

It is, of course, the reader's prerogative to follow through at this point, or not. There is a tension between cynicism and hope that no post can resolve. At the end of the day, though, what can apathy ever accomplish?

Thanks for that mate, I actually hadn't realized the deadline was today. As an added detail to those that might be interested the filing number is

14-28.

But seriously everyone, I know we're probably going to be ignored, but you might as well make a submission. What do you lose in doing so other than the 5 seconds it takes to type "Objection!" Besides, this kind of apathy is exactly how we get into these situations in the first place.

RonHiler:
What's the point? They're just going to do whatever the fuck they want to do anyway. None of this open comments portion of the circus was ever meant to make anyone change their minds.

Did you think we live in a democracy? We live in an oligarchy. And those in control of this country made up their minds about this subject long ago.

The FCC is explicitly undemocratic, but the study you're mentioning is here, in its entirety:

https://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gilens%20homepage%20materials/Gilens%20and%20Page/Gilens%20and%20Page%202014-Testing%20Theories%203-7-14.pdf

While it is sad to note that corporate influence is higher than that of the average citizenry, it's important to note that the rate of adoption based on economic elite preferences and interest group preferences is pretty similar (page 29), with a much clearer critical mass required for the latter. So basically, if you want to be heard, join an interest group, private or public. I'd say that 200,000+ people commenting on the FCC site is a pretty good start, especially considering that's discounting handwritten letters to the FCC, and all communications to congress.

capcha: trust me... I can't actually advise that in good faith. I'm awful.

Sure it's likely that the FCC will ignore the comments.. but why not comment anyway? I mean, if they listen to your comment then great. If they ignore your comment as you're so sure they will, then you've been ignored but at least you tried.

The really sad thing is that they'll say something along the lines of "We're glad you all voiced your thoughts and concerns, and after taking them into consideration we're still going to move forward with what we had planned because money."

Their site won't even load for me. I hope its because too many people are tearing them a new one.

Kameburger:
Their site won't even load for me. I hope its because too many people are tearing them a new one.

over months i managed to load it once. i heard many ISPs are throttling their website in protest actually, but here in europe it still does not load. judging by number of comments, it could be overwhelming some weak server they had for what was website 1 person visited per day before.

I already said my peace. Other people should say their peace instead of using such energy to state that it's hopeless. If you're going to make any effort, make a positive one, and then brag that you did so here.

I live in the netherlands so is there anything i can do?

If net neutrality does vanish the worst thing we can do is accept it, just because it's gone doesn't mean it can't return.

Yeah, this is very odd. +1 for the site not loading.

I bet you they won't add an extension for today if we can't sign in..

~editted to mention I took the message to the streets!

Looked up some good youtubes about the issue, and I'm directly mailing everyone I can with explanations and the video aids so they see that they already laid the ground work with Netflix and they won't stop there. Hopefully something comes out of it. If I do ten, and you do ten, and you do ten...

~Editted more-ish https://twitter.com/FCC/status/489052050878373889

Submitted my comments several weeks ago. If you haven't submitted yours PLEASE do so if you can. It may not be a lot but every bit helps.

The cynic in me says the FCC will just ignore them, but the optimist in me is putting up a good fight for once. WE CAN DO THIS GUYS!

Valkrex:
Submitted my comments several weeks ago. If you haven't submitted yours PLEASE do so if you can. It may not be a lot but every bit helps.

What this guy/gal said. Speak up!
-Devin Connors

Devin Connors:

Update: The comment deadline has been extended until midnight on Friday, July 18 due to FCC server issues. In the hours before the original deadline was to pass last night, an overwhelming number of comments were submitted, causing the site's servers to crash.

I guess they forgot to pay Verizon and Comcast for a fast-lane ...

I had utter forgot about this whole thing. May as well sign it.

As per the update they must really want to hear the rest of the angry hate mail. I think they can probably call it without feeling guilty as I don't think public opinion is likely to shift in the next two days.

cynicalsaint1:

Devin Connors:

I guess they forgot to pay Verizon and Comcast for a fast-lane ...

Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I see what ya did there. I'm glad this is getting an extension to compensate though, that's actually responsible for once.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here