Parents in China Sold Their Children for Video Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Parents in China Sold Their Children for Video Games

Parent Accussed

A Chinese couple is accused of selling their children for money that they then used for video games.

Filed under the category of "horrible things awful people do," two Chinese parents are facing serious charges for selling their children to feed their free-to-play gaming fix.

The parents, A Hui and A Mei, sold their children to child traffickers to receive money for internet cafes and to buy items in free-to-play games. According to the couple, who spoke to a local television station behind bars in a detention center, their first child was unplanned and they didn't have the means to support the child financially. Instead, they chose to receive compensation from child traffickers.

When A Mei was pregnant again, they faced the same issue as before of not being able to support a growing family, and again they exchanged their child for money. A Hui's father found out about their discretions and reported them to the police. The couple is now awaiting trial.

Free-to-play games are currently very popular in China. Additionally, at the beginning of this year China lifted their 14-year-old ban on video game consoles.

Source: Complex

The last three parts of that title aren't necessary. What they spent the cash on doesn't matter. What they did is beyond abhorrent and they deserve serious punishment. But i can't shake the feeling that if they had spent the money on watches and jewelry or something we wouldn't be hearing about this.

Reasons why I should never have children ever #52024: My first thought when I read this was "huh, that's a good idea."

AntiChri5:
The last three parts of that title aren't necessary. What they spent the cash on doesn't matter. What they did is beyond abhorrent and they deserve serious punishment. But i can't shake the feeling that if they had spent the money on watches and jewelry or something we wouldn't be hearing about this.

We wouldn't. We're a general geekery site, so we only get stories involving stuff involving the five tabs at the top of this thread.

OT: Urrrrrgh. What the hell is going on in China that makes this unthinkable stuff happen?

Again? Hasn't this kind of story come from China before?

Man, I'm getting jaded if all I can think is *again?*

Somethingfake:
Again? Hasn't this kind of story come from China before?

Man, I'm getting jaded if all I can think is *again?*

Yeah, this happened over the iphone some time ago. I think critical miss covered it.

Jesus Christ what the hell is wrong with some people? I'm starting to think that some people should get a licence to be parents...

Selling your children to traffickers is one thing, but using the money on Free to Play games? Come on that's just absurd. At least buy some Humble Bundles or something.

(I am actually very sad to hear about this FYI).

RatherDull:
Reasons why I should never have children ever #52024: My first thought when I read this was "huh, that's a good idea."

Serusiously?

lacktheknack:

AntiChri5:

We wouldn't. We're a general geekery site, so we only get stories involving stuff involving the five tabs at the top of this thread.

OT: Urrrrrgh. What the hell is going on in China that makes this unthinkable stuff happen?

Human trafficking is more common then most people would like to think. Wasn't to long ago the FBI arrest around 1500 for children traffacicing and related offense in the United States.

No doubt EA are already planning to capitalise on this news by allowing cash cows mobile gamers swap their children for in-game currency, then using those children in sweatshops producing other free-to-play games and DLC for The Sims 4. One toddler will get you two Sim-toddlers. Such value!

Captcha: be nice. FINE! Since when were you on EA's side captcha?

These people are horrible and I don't want to imagine the shit their former children must be going through. I hope they get the book thrown at them. A large, leatherbound book with pointy brass bits on the corners.

China again! I guess having 30% more people than live in the entire North and South American continents means you get your fair share of crazy's.

RatherDull:

You're not the only one, that was also my first thought. Does that make us horrible people?

OT: China being China again, this stuff just seems normal coming from there.

I have no words for this. There is nothing positive I can get from this. This is just awful. It's beyond redemption and it's fucking abhorrent.

Briantb:

RatherDull:

Serusiously?

lacktheknack:

AntiChri5:

Human trafficking is more common then most people would like to think. Wasn't to long ago the FBI arrest around 1500 for children traffacicing and related offense in the United States.

Yeah, but I'm assuming the vast majority of that was via kidnapping.

The "unthinkable" part was the parents selling their own children for luxury items.

Xan Krieger:

RatherDull:

You're not the only one, that was also my first thought. Does that make us horrible people?

Yes, actually. If you would honestly consider selling someone into slavery entirely because they're young, that would make you a very, very awful person.

This should not be the first time I've heard this happened. Why does this have to be a recurring thing?

Yeah...I'm gonna take this one with a pinch of salt, a good deal of these "man in china does x" turn out to be bullshit.

For a second I was expecting this to be Tenecent's new hiring plan.

I don't really get the " didn't have the means to support the child financially" and then the "to feed their free-to-play gaming fix" parts.

Like it's hard to put them together.

I wonder what game they were playing.

My wife and I currently live in China. We hope one day to adopt. Every now and then when we tell this to one of the locals they ask us why we just don't go into the country side and buy a child. The thing is, they aren't joking. They're completely serious. Usually it only comes up when my wife talks really passionately about it, and then goes into issues we're having with trying to adopt, and the person we're talking with is trying to be helpful and offer and solution to our problem.

I feel like a lot of crazy China stories are bullshit. The Chinese government literally controls the media and it feels like this is just a psa against video games.

Ah, and to think most of the western world considers reproduction a human right. China has a one child limit and still has people fucking it up.

The Great JT:
This should not be the first time I've heard this happened. Why does this have to be a recurring thing?

Most likely because the buying and selling of children pops up somewhat frequently in old Chinese literature and mythology.
The practice might even have been present even in the early 20th century.

This is not an excuse for this heinous act, its just a possible reason.

wow...

theres being planet douche, orbiting the son-of-a-bitch star in the ass-hat galaxy, and theres being A Hui and A Mei, im beyond words

its interesting how these kind of stories keep comming from china, i wonder if orphans are actually a second currency there

lacktheknack:

Briantb:

RatherDull:

Serusiously?

lacktheknack:

The "unthinkable" part was the parents selling their own children for luxury items.

Not so much people sell there kids for less.

http://www.fbi.gov/houston/press-releases/2014/texans-unite-against-human-trafficking-local-state-and-federal-agencies-launch-statewide-campaign

Briantb:

lacktheknack:

Not so much people sell there kids for less.

http://www.fbi.gov/houston/press-releases/2014/texans-unite-against-human-trafficking-local-state-and-federal-agencies-launch-statewide-campaign

brb, rage-quitting life.

AAGRGH. I just... I dislike people as a whole more and more as life continues.

That's nothing. Palestinian families get paid by the government for having their children, fathers, husbands martyr themselves or go to prison. They get cash, not bonus virtual currency.

Well, at least it wasn't [insert drug name here]. Ok, thats still f'ed up, on a 1-10 scale its still an 11. Hell it might as well be one point past infinity on the parental fuckup scale, cuz selling kids is definitively wrong in any sense. For games? It damn well better been fun...

Jesus, just think what they'll do to their children when they get to the end of Mass Effect 3!

Sorry, had to be done. This is seriously fucked up and I hope that the children get better care and the parents are harshly punished: I don't care if you didn't plan a child and can't support it, there are better ways then trading them for a fucking game. Like, don't have sex in the first place or look into official child care!

And yet more evidence that some people should not be allowed to have children.

AntiChri5:

the last three words are the reason this is reported on video games website.

CrazyGirl17:
Jesus Christ what the hell is wrong with some people? I'm starting to think that some people should get a licence to be parents...

ID say they need to pass some sort of "common sense" basics to start with. though if i had it my way there would be plenty of parents adults who fail at parenting who would not be allowed to have children. Sadly, Right to create and abuse life is considered a human right.

TheSYLOH:
Most likely because the buying and selling of children pops up somewhat frequently in old Chinese literature and mythology.
The practice might even have been present even in the early 20th century.

This is not an excuse for this heinous act, its just a possible reason.

Yeah, chineese culture is... different. it used to be acceptable to run out their elderly because they are mouths to feed that cant work. The elderly then would die of starvation.

Well... as terrible as this is this guy made my gaming addiction look like a freakin off and on hobby. Seriously, he didn't have anything else he could pawn off instead?

I'm certain this isn't the first time we've heard this, and they still haven't learned their lesson. This is why I say the US doesn't owe China anything, among other reasons.

Strazdas:
Sadly, Right to create and abuse life is considered a human right.

This isn't even the case, though. It doesn't really matter whether it's considered a "right" or not because it would be practically impossible to control. Short of mass sterilization and a totalitarian government I don't see any way to regulate human reproduction. Anything less rigidly enforced and the system would be pointless bureaucracy exclusive for people who follow the rules. Not to mention that this would be a huge drain on tax dollars to set up and enforce, and for what, so that maybe 5% of the population will never be born? Finally, even if you could it's nearly impossible to say whether an unlawful child would have a better chance with the original parents or in foster care.

OT: That guy's face has some of the worst censoring I've ever seen. It barely obscures anything and you can still totally see how his eyes look and everything.

RatherDull:

Ey, supply and demand. If children are in demand, who can judge us for supplying?

...And buying video games?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or