Microsoft Expected to Announce Massive Layoffs This Week

Microsoft Expected to Announce Massive Layoffs This Week

Microsoft Satya Nadella 310x

Downsizing is coming in Nokia hardware acquisition aftermath.

Bloomberg is reporting that Microsoft will soon announce its biggest staff reduction in over five years, and the announcement could come by the end of the week.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella alluded to big changes and restructuring in a company-wide memo sent to employees last week. Along with shifting focus away from a "devices and services" strategy, Nadella has to complete the integration of the 25,000-plus Nokia employees that came over in Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's hardware division.

Along with removing redundant positions caused by the Nokia hardware buy, Nadella also wants to streamline other departments, including engineering.

Wherever the layoffs come from, the cuts will be deep. Steve Ballmer let 5,800 Microsoft employees go in 2009, and Bloomberg reports that this forthcoming reduction round is expected to be just as large, if not larger.

The Xbox division was not specifically referenced by Bloomberg, but Nadella did reaffirm his committment to the brand in his memo last week. "Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox," said Nadella in the memo. "Xbox is one of the most-revered consumer brands, with a growing online community and service, and a raving fan base...we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft."

Source: Bloomberg

Really dislike the way the suit knocks the word 'innovate' around like a redheaded step-child, meaningless corporate newspeak. Sad for people losing their jobs though.

Redflash:
Really dislike the way the suit knocks the word 'innovate' around like a redheaded step-child, meaningless corporate newspeak. Sad for people losing their jobs though.

It's not a press release unless you use the word 'innovate' (or equivalent). True fact.

"Streamline other departments."

You mean these departments aren't pulling in an unrealistically large profit margin, so fire em. Or you could be a responsible CEO/Executive and, ya know, take a pay cut. You're making shit tons of money anyway, and probably have millions saved up a cut won't kill you, and a lot of the people you're firing probably can't afford to lose their jobs.

A new manager is coming with "fresh" ideas and and his first move is layoffs. I think I've seen this show before.

The big drawback about being part of a major company is that you are just a number to them, sad. Sorry to those losing their jobs. It's fucked up when new ideas mean something completely different.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella alluded to big changes and restructuring in a company-wide memo sent to employees last week. Along with shifting focus away from a "devices and services" strategy, Nadella has to complete the integration of the 25,000-plus Nokia employees that came over in Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's hardware division.

Hooray for moving away from services! But aren't devices typically hardware, otherwise known as the thing you bought Nokia for? All that aside, layoffs are never good news for anyone without stock in the company doing them, and even then it's not good when your company has to make them.

Who is going to buy X-Boxes when the few people who are still working are on minimum wage and their credit cards are maxed out? You know what I think the future is? Bicycles. Like in China. Millions of bicycles. In the snow. Or in India. Millions of bicycles. In the searing heat. Good thing all those Republicans are trickling down on us before they zip up. Forget pennies from heaven. We've got golden showers!

Wow, another corporation using "streamlining" and "innovation" as an excuse to cut expenses (aka employees). This barely qualifies as news anymore.

"Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox,"

So this is Microsoft language for what they want to do to gamers. How crude.

"Xbox is one of the most-revered consumer brands, with a growing online community and service, and a raving fan base...we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft."

This guy needs better people doing his research.

Captcha - charley horse

Valkrex:

You mean these departments aren't pulling in an unrealistically large profit margin, so fire em. Or you could be a responsible CEO/Executive and, ya know, take a pay cut. You're making shit tons of money anyway, and probably have millions saved up a cut won't kill you, and a lot of the people you're firing probably can't afford to lose their jobs.

Yeah see this is America, where even suggesting that a rich CEO be that responsible is enough to get you branded as the 2nd coming of Stalin by about the entire right wing half of the political spectrum.

TRANSLATION:

"We're losing money hand over fist from our various failed projects, bad PR, and shitty customer service."

Seriously, whoever said giants couldn't fall hard never saw this coming, but I did. I just feel bad for the people laid off.

an874:

Valkrex:

Yeah see this is America, where even suggesting that a rich CEO be that responsible is enough to get you branded as the 2nd coming of Stalin by about the entire right wing half of the political spectrum.

I know... I live here... It fucking sucks, and people wonder why I'm so damn cynical these days.

CriticalMiss:

Redflash:

It's not a press release unless you use the word 'innovate' (or equivalent). True fact.

One also has to use the words intergral and immersive, for their product's changes to be integral to design, and deliver an immersive experience.

Well that sucks for the people losing their jobs. Can't imagine this making the future look bright.

The saddest thing about Microsoft is that, while most of their stuff is horrible, they are the lowest common denominator, they are what everyone will keep using because everything else is either incompatible or in-something else-ible. And while I'm aware of the hypocrisy by typing this message using a Windows powered PC, most things I use will simply not work otherwise, plus I'm not exactly the only one who uses this machine, though getting rid of Microsoft would certainly remedy that :)

Could be worse though, I could be an Apple user

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here