Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Pushed to the Limit at Farnborough Airshow

Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Pushed to the Limit at Farnborough Airshow

Boeing's latest jumbo jet can effortlessly pull off airsick-worthy maneuvers.

Boeing put on quite the flight display during this week's Farnborough Airshow in England, showing off its latest commercial creation: The 787-9 Dreamliner.

Built as a replacement for the aging 767 model, the Dreamliner has been in service since 2011. The 787-9 is the latest version of the platform, built with a longer fuselage -- 206 feet as opposed to the 186-foot-long 787-8 base model. The bigger body means more passengers, increased fuel capacity, and a longer range, while keeping the same wingspan (197 feet).

The Farnborough Airshow has long served as a demostration ground for new passenger jets, with airline buyers from the world over on-site to see the new hardware. And since no one is impressed with the boring and standard, these Boeing test pilots push the 787-9 to the limit, finishing with a landing on an incredibly short runway.

The embedded video is of the 787-9's flight during the airshow, but this video of a practice run several days before has more impressive camera angles.

Boeing wasn't the only company showing off a brand new jumbo jet, either. Airbus had its brand new A330neo on-hand, a plane that can take 330 passengers over 7,500 nautical miles.

Source: The Verge

Hmm, that takeoff might make a worthy hype thrusters gif...

I would love for them to do that while serving an inflight meal :D

Man seeing a plane that big maneuvering like that is just awesome! We've come a long way

So we know it has a better chance of survival in a warzone... brilliant! I never thought I would see such a big aircraft do a near-vertical climb!

Based on previous issues with the 787, the fact that it got off the ground without bursting into flames is certainly pushing its limits. In all seriousness though, mad props to crazy bastard flying it.

As an employee of Boeing watching that video was pretty damned inspiring. On a more awesome note I was informed that during one of the first airshows featuring the Boeing 707, the test pilot pulled off an unscripted barrel roll. We need to see a video of that!

DugMachine:
Man seeing a plane that big maneuvering like that is just awesome! We've come a long way

Actually, even more impressive was when a Boeing test pilot did a barrel roll in a twin-engined 707 back in 1955.

Wandrecanada:
As an employee of Boeing watching that video was pretty damned inspiring. On a more awesome note I was informed that during one of the first airshows featuring the Boeing 707, the test pilot pulled off an unscripted barrel roll. We need to see a video of that!

I especially love the test pilot's answer when asked what the hell he thought he was doing.

"I was selling airplanes."

Here's the picture they took while the plane was flying upside down.

DugMachine:

To be fair it's an empty plane, I doubt it'd do close to this full of passengers etc.
Still it looks good and far better than the past issues the Dreamliner has had, as FriesWithThat said, just taking off without issue was a massive improvement.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here