Futurama Intro Skyline Recreated in Glorious 3D

Futurama Intro Skyline Recreated in Glorious 3D

Artist Alexy Zakharov has created a gorgeous new rendition of Futurama's intro skyline, complete with the Planet Express.

Arguably one of the saddest bits of TV news last year was Futurama finally getting the permanent axe. Granted, it's not like the show didn't have a decent run and it had already been rescued once by Comedy Central after Fox originally cancelled it in 2003. Nonetheless, when you consider that The Simpsons continues to limp along after more than a quarter century, it just seems unfair that we couldn't get at least a few more years of sci-fi cartoon comedy.

Even if Futurama is dead on television however, it still certainly lives on in the hearts of its fans who, apparently, can produce some impressive content of their own when they set their minds to it. Artist Alexy Zakharov, for instance, recently released a series of videos and concept art re-imagining the colorful future of the show in gorgeous 3D. Most impressively, one of his videos recreates the skyline from the show's opening, complete with a highly detailed model of the Planet Express ship zipping by. The sequence was made using programs including 3Dsmax, Nuke, After Effects and Photoshop.

All in all, while I can't say I'd consider Zakharov's work superior to the style employed in the actual show, you'd probably hard pressed to find anyone who'd deny that he's produced some gorgeous piece here. Just personally, I loved how his rendition of the Planet Express ship manages to look more detailed and realistic than the show version, but still maintains a somewhat cartoon feel. Take a gander at his art and let us know what you think of this Futurama tribute.

Source: Kotaku

The length of that video...WAS TOO DAMN SHORT!

It looks NICE.
Something that would work great for a sci-fi film/game.

*drools*

oh god we need a game that looks like this...we need it NOOOOOWWWWW

Hey, can we... can we have a Futurama game?

Please?

._.

Awesome, where are you?

Man, now I want an open-world Futurama game with those graphics!

Imagine being able to explore New New York freely and also have your own ship to visit other key planets like Omicron Persei 8, Lunar Park on the Moon, Mars, Decapod 10, Amphibios 9 or even at least fly by them. Ahhh the possibilities.

Redlin5:

Please?

._.

Awesome, where are you?

There was one. It wasn't very good gameplay wise, but I remember it having the voice cast.

Redlin5:

Please?

._.

Awesome, where are you?

Why sure my friend. We can have a Futurama game:

Now, the total for that game will be about, oh I don't know...$30 if you just want the disc. Want the manual and cover art too, that'll only be about $60. Wanna buy it new, well this lovely gem can be yours for the cheap price of $100-$150! :D

Soviet Heavy:

There was one. It wasn't very good gameplay wise, but I remember it having the voice cast.

It's also very overpriced. :D

In 10 years when making horrible live action versions of these cartoon shows becomes a thing. I wouldn't mind this being the basis for the art direction.

That being said I think a meteor striking earth and erasing all life on the planet might be a far kinder fate then sitting through anything close to live action attempt of the Simpsons.

That was glorious!

I wonder how it would look if a short or feature film length.

What....I.....I don't even.......

........*golfclap*

.......................*all the golfclaps*

Isn't Matt Groeining pitching it around in the hopes of a new season?

Huh, that's pretty neat.

Though in my personal opinion, the ship isn't "clean" enough with it's texturing to really get the cartoony feel like with the background

What was the name of the song playing? It sounded familiar...

Looked beutiful, but... where's the fun?

This is the Crysis of TV show reimaginings...

how much money do we need to throw for this to become a movie or in a perfect world the reboot to futurama?

RaikuFA:
Isn't Matt Groeining pitching it around in the hopes of a new season?

True, it could pull a Family Guy and come back after being cancelled twice already, but there's no doubt the odds of that are terrible.

Wow! That is sadly the only word I can come up with to describe that. I know it's gone but I secretly wish my favourite show of all time will return one day. Considering how there's so much dross getting made, a brilliant show must have some hope.

Great video, I'll take anything I can get quite frankly and that is amazing work. Apparently they released a Golden Bender action figure today (or recently), potentially the last.

The video looked cool but the moment an actual character stepped on screen it would look terrible, especially Leela.

As for a game the one that already exists is okay-ish but in the end its just another action platformer with a Futurama theme where only the cutscenes feel like Futurama)

Kajin:
What was the name of the song playing? It sounded familiar...

It's from the Forrest Gump Score, particularly the "Run Forrest Run!" bit. I was going to make a Run Bender Run joke before you asked.

That was a really cool video. I just want more of it.

Now, if only it came with an orchestral version of the Futurama theme song and I would be saying "shut up and take my money" twice over for it to become a full-blown reality...

And, now I feel sad again that Futurama did end... again... *sighs*

Ooh... very nice. Too bad the video's so short, I would like to see more of it...

It looked nice, but is totally unneeded. The Original Futurama Intro was already in 3D! (It's true, go look at it! Everyone and everything is in the 3rd Dimension!)

Mr.Mattress:
It looked nice, but is totally unneeded. The Original Futurama Intro was already in 3D! (It's true, go look at it! Everyone and everything is in the 3rd Dimension!)

Except for that one scene in the movie in which the Planet Express ship briefly goes into the 4th dimension. That shit be 4-D!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

gittonsxv:
how much money do we need to throw for this to become a movie or in a perfect world the reboot to futurama?

Eh, what have you got against Futurama fans? Why make them suffer a revamped reboot or movie after the show has died a natural death?

Neronium:

Mr.Mattress:

Except for that one scene in the movie in which the Planet Express ship briefly goes into the 4th dimension. That shit be 4-D!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Strictly speaking, everything in the show is in at least 4 dimensions.

That was fantastic!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here