IDW Goes For the Eyes With New Baldur's Gate Comic

IDW Goes For the Eyes With New Baldur's Gate Comic

Baldur's Gate Cover 1

IDW Publishing has announced a new Dungeons & Dragons book based in the city of Baldur's Gate and starring Minsc and his hamster Boo.

With the release of the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons inching closer and closer, tabletop gamers around the world are likely filling with that unique sort of excitement that only the prospect of hardcore dice slinging can bring. That being the case, it's recently been revealed that the game's latest version isn't the only new D&D release that franchise fans have to look forward to in the near future.

IDW Publishing, in an announcement yesterdary, has revealed that it will be launching a new Dungeons & Dragons series written by Jim Zub (Skullkickers) and based in the city of Baldur's Gate. It will also feature art by comic veterans Max Dunbar and Sarah Stone. Zub, speaking about the new book, expressed his excitement to be writing in the world of the influential fantasy franchise.

"I didn't know it at the time, but playing Dungeons & Dragons as a kid was the foundation of my creative career," said Zub. "It ignited a desire in me to build memorable characters and weave entertaining tales of high adventure. Getting a chance to tell new Forgotten Realms stories as part of the D&D 40th anniversary is an absolute dream come true."

The series will launch this summer alongside the game and will start by tackling the Tyranny of Dragons storyline being specially produced for the new edition's release. The book will also see the return of fan favorite characters like Minsc and his hamster Boo, which on its own should be reason enough to give the first few issues a try.

Source: IDW

Go for the eyes, Boo!

This sounds pretty great, although I do wonder if Minsc and Boo will be as awesome without the voice acting.

Best RPG character ever, so huge that he got references in 2 Mass Effect games =)

In the words of Minsc himself "Make way villainy! Hero coming through!"

Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend, right, Boo?

Is it sad that I'm actually really excited for this just because Minsc is in it? I just love that guy so much. Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'm glad people remember us

Minsc:
Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

Real world for a second, I do hope that they keep Minsc one sandwich short of a picnic and not make him a dark brooding hero with issues. If they do then its

Minsc:
This behaviour must not continue. Feel the burning stare of my hamster and change your ways.

Is that Dynehair I see in one of these pictures? I guess this must take place between BG1 and BG2

jrobson68:
Is that Dynehair I see in one of these pictures? I guess this must take place between BG1 and BG2

Nope she is the wrong colour to be Dynaheir

albino boo:

jrobson68:

Yeah, thinking about it it's probably Dynaheir Mk. 2

jrobson68:

albino boo:

jrobson68:

Could be Aerie with a different haircut, that makes sense since if you have those two in a group together Minsc will declare her his 'new witch'.

If Aerie is there Minsc should either be level 25 or travelling with the Bhaalspawn. More probably an unrelated character.

Can't wait to see Minsc introduce evil to his sword (and his sword to evil) once again.

Butt kicking for goodness!!

I really really hope these are good. If they are I might actually buy them...

Also surprised it's taken so long for Minsc and Boo to get their own stories...

Well, Wizard of the coast seems to have finally noticed that the Baldur's Gate Series was popular and decided to cash in. I hope it's better than their last attempt (Murder in Baldur's Gate).

Blatant fanservice, but I suppose that's what a lot of people like.

PrinceOfShapeir:
If Aerie is there Minsc should either be level 25 or travelling with the Bhaalspawn. More probably an unrelated character.

Not too far fetched. Since the 'Murder in Baldur's Gate' retcons, the Player character-Abdel Adrian-is/was canonically a ridiculously low level after all those adventures. The adventure is written for characters around level 1 or so if I recall.

You had me at "Minsc and his hamster Boo"!

The Madman:

jrobson68:

albino boo:

Could be Aerie with a different haircut, that makes sense since if you have those two in a group together Minsc will declare her his 'new witch'.

Give her design, I'd guess a whole new character; even accounting for creative wiggle-room, Aerie was still a blonde (much like Minsc is still bald). Besides, her ears look more like those of a half-elf.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here