EW Reveals New Avengers NOW Team

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EW Reveals New Avengers NOW Team

avengenow

Black Captain America, female Thor, Apple-ized Iron Man, Angela and other surprises revealed in new group shot

Hot on the heels of Marvel revealing the new female Thor, and Sam Wilson as the new Captain America; Entertainment Weekly has a group-shot that purports to reveal the newest team of Avengers.

The lineup appears to include (clockwise from top-left) Medusa, Scarlet Witch, Superior Iron Man (identity unknown), Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Deathlok, Inferno, the new Captain America, new Thor, former Spawn frienemy Angela and Bucky Barnes ("The Winter Soldier").

While the reasons behind the changes to Captain America and Thor have already been revealed, much about the revamped Iron Man is still unknown. Stark's new handle being "Superior Iron Man" is an obvious reference to Superior Spider-Man, a controversial recent storyline where Spider-Man was replaced by the villain Doctor Octopus, and Marvel EIC Alex Alonso describes the new Stark as "hard to root for." The character's new Apple-esque armor appears to be a deliberate reference, as Stark's new status-quo will see him moving shop to San Fransisco with a "vision" for the city that rankles some of the locals - possibly setting up an allegory for the political and class-conflicts that have sprung up between SF-based tech companies like Google and some residents.

Notably, Strange and Ant-Man are characters expected to see their profiles expand because of their upcoming presence in the Marvel Studios movies. Medusa and Inferno, meanwhile, are members of The Inhumans; a race of superhuman creatures some have speculated could be used to the fill the space of Mutants in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Also raising an eyebrow is the presence of Angela. Originally a Neil Gaiman-created supporting character from Todd MacFarlane's Spawn-mythos for Image Comics; she was more-or-less "gifted" to as part of an incredibly complicated series of legal maneuvers intended to secure control of the rights to MarvelMan and (widely-presumed) as a thumb in the eye to MacFarlane from Gaiman.

Avengers NOW and other new titles are expected to debut in November.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

All of my purchase.

It's a pretty big roster, with a few repeated concepts (They're doubling down on the secret agent cyborgs and mythological battle maidens) but I really want to know how they handle it.

As an Avengers storyline, I can get into that I think. But can Marvel just shut up for about a day? My brain is kinda friend from all these announcements. They are definitely dressing up Stan Lee in his trade mark leather jacket and taking some practice passes next to the shark tank.

So we now know that Angenla will not be FemThor. Figured as much. I mean I don't think she is really in any hurry to cover up with actually armor and dye her hair.

On a different note I am glad that Bucky is going to be back. Same with Dr. Strange. Hope they turn out well. Now are we sure this is a new Avenger's line up? It seems really off beat and strange. Maybe a new Secret Avengers due to Bucky, Deathlok, and Angela not really being good public figures.

Also Iron Man needs a paint job. All that chrome is hurting my eyes.

Wow Marvel must be really scared of the ongoing lawsuit by Jack Kirby's estate as they're getting rid of all his characters from the Avengers.

It seems like they are trying to diversify too much. You know, like they are trying too hard at it?

This has got to be one of the weirdest damn casts I've seen in a long time.

I don't want to say that it reminds me of the Champions, but it totally reminds me of the Champions.

Christ allmighty, we couldn't stick with Remender's lineup a little bit?

We've seen a roster change practically every year since Bendis' Disassembled.

I feel that Social Justice Warriors would be a more fitting title than Avengers for this team.

As for Iron Man, well with Thor being a woman and Captain America Being Black I think it is only logical to assume that Iron Man is going to be gay or maybe Marvel will really get their pander on and make Iron Man a black lesbian. Yeah, that seems about right. I'm calling it now, Iron Man is a black lesbian so Marvel can show how they have ALL the diversity.

But wait we're not done yet! Keeping with the trend it's probably a safe bet that one of the members will likely be a plushie, Doctor Strange seems like the logical choice for that. One of the women, will likely be a trans woman. Angela or Scarlett Witch will probably fill that spot. The one who isn't trans will be gender fluid and alternate between a man and a woman each issue. Deathlok is a black cyborg so he's good to go as is. Medusa totally has a dominatrix vibe going on in that picture. Let's make Ant Man the token Sherpa of the group and, what the hell, for good measure he can be bisexual too. Next is Inferno who is quite obviously flaming, and by that I mean he's on fire.

The only one left is Bucky, who will be the only straight white male of the group. He will naturally be fighting an internal battle with his crushing white guilt and be written in such a way as to have absolutely zero redeeming qualities and likely killed off each issue in a comedic fashion ala Kenny from South Park

youji itami:
Wow Marvel must be really scared of the ongoing lawsuit by Jack Kirby's estate as they're getting rid of all his characters from the Avengers.

Except he helped invent Bucky, Ant-Man, Iron Man, Medusa, and Scarlet Witch... unless you're being sarcastic, in which case, my bad.

So is Angela still a warrior angel in this comic or have they changed her background?

Having two warrior women (Angelina and the new Thor) seen unnecessay but I guess it couldn't hurt to have more raw power!

Also wait? "Superior" Iron Man? Did Doc Oct inhabit an Iron Man suit now? Other than him, the only one I am not familiar with is Inferno (just remind me of the Firetruck Autobot from Transformers).

Eh, we'll see what happens. I think such a big shakeup will result in the loss of some long time fans, but maybe they'll make it up in new fans. It's useless to complain about it, though I would like to. The thing that is weird to me is not making Bucky Barnes the new Captain America. It's not like he hasn't had that roll before. I'm guess this is just part of their movement to say make everything more "diverse". It's fine, they are just fictions afterall.

008Zulu:
It seems like they are trying to diversify too much. You know, like they are trying too hard at it?

Yeah, seems every time I hear news from Marvel (or DC for that matter), it's always in the form of "LOOK! We're totally not racist/sexist/whatever! This hero is totally not white and/or male!"

SonOfVoorhees:
So is Angela still a warrior angel in this comic or have they changed her background?

She's Thor's sister, as revealed when the Watcher's eye was activated in the current Original Sin story arc. The angels stole her from Odin in the middle of a war between the two.

Super Not Cosmo:
I feel that Social Justice Warriors would be a more fitting title than Avengers for this team.

As for Iron Man, well with Thor being a woman and Captain America Being Black I think it is only logical to assume that Iron Man is going to be gay or maybe Marvel will really get their pander on and make Iron Man a black lesbian. Yeah, that seems about right. I'm calling it now, Iron Man is a black lesbian so Marvel can show how they have ALL the diversity.

But wait we're not done yet! Keeping with the trend it's probably a safe bet that one of the members will likely be a plushie, Doctor Strange seems like the logical choice for that. One of the women, will likely be a trans woman. Angela or Scarlett Witch will probably fill that spot. The one who isn't trans will be gender fluid and alternate between a man and a woman each issue. Deathlok is a black cyborg so he's good to go as is. Medusa totally has a dominatrix vibe going on in that picture. Let's make Ant Man the token Sherpa of the group and, what the hell, for good measure he can be bisexual too. Next is Inferno who is quite obviously flaming, and by that I mean he's on fire.

The only one left is Bucky, who will be the only straight white male of the group. He will naturally be fighting an internal battle with his crushing white guilt and be written in such a way as to have absolutely zero redeeming qualities and likely killed off each issue in a comedic fashion ala Kenny from South Park

I don't think you are going far enough. We need to represent more MINORITIES! Next time Galactus is in a story, they should make him a little person. Why make Puck a character in a story when you can make a little person one of the most powerful and ancient beings in the Marvel Universe. But other than that... you basically covered all the bases.

Remus:

SonOfVoorhees:

She's Thor's sister, as revealed when the Watcher's eye was activated in the current Original Sin story arc. The angels stole her from Odin in the middle of a war between the two.

Which for the record was a horrible idea. Her being an "Angel" was kind of a huge part of her identity. Just making her a lost Asgardian was a total cop out. It's not like the Marvel Universe doesn't have Angels. It was pointless to tie her to them and she is far less interesting for it. They are just scrambling to tie everything to their most popular characters... actually reducing the diversity of the whole damn universe.

Super Not Cosmo:

I want this to happen now. Especially because I know the majority of people complaining about SOSHUL JUSTISH will buy it anyway.

Scarim Coral:

Also wait? "Superior" Iron Man? Did Doc Oct inhabit an Iron Man suit now?

Doc Ock spread his consciousness through the internet, like Ben did.

Oh God, I really want Superior Iron Man to be Ben now.

WhiteTigerShiro:

008Zulu:

Yeah, seems every time I hear news from Marvel (or DC for that matter), it's always in the form of "LOOK! We're totally not racist/sexist/whatever! This hero is totally not white and/or male!"

I know, right? I mean, they've done like, four or five announcements. Holy crap, this is like the end of the white dude in comics!

Why do they have to make captain america black and bring in thorita? It feels like either a massive troll or someone's smoking something. I'm a minority and even I think a black captain america is retarded as all hell. Why did stan lee agree to this? Ugh. At least the movies came out before this so they couldn't change gender and races already.

new iron man will be "hard to root for" ya say? more so than when he backed registration and created a thor clone with reed Richards that killed another hero? i'm sorry, I know we're all supposed to love iron man because Robert downey jr. is evidently mr. charming pants but tony stark is an AHOLE. A grade A douche bag. I know every hero has done something totally awful for one arc or another so they can have controversy and a spectacle issue but stark's been kind of a dick for a while now in the comics and as much as I enjoy the iron man movies it doesn't change the comics version of him. and my god this whole apple version of all technology is going to kill me I fucking hate apple's designs everything they make looks awful. don't ruin iron man for this

God this is a terrible line-up...

Beings of great magical power? Best have two of those
Cyborg secret agents? Best have two of them too
Asgardian Warrior Woman with the same personality? Best get two
Inhumans from that book f*cking no-one reads? Two of those too please
Former crooks (because Sam was 'Snap' Wilson) who went straight? Well we need a complete two

I'd say they're playing for diversity but WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS?! TWO OF EVERY ARCHETYPE?! ARE YOU F*CKING FOR REAL? GODDAMN ULTRON IS THE ONLY STANDALONE?!

That new Iron Man sounds cool, I mean it's like a parallel to the original Iron Man in that he was meant to be "hard to root for" in the first place.

OK, place your bets on how long this line-up/changes will last before Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters!

I can partly understand how Marvel is trying to match certain elements to their Cinematic Universe but I feel all of this hoopla is another shameless cry for attention-much like the reign of Superior Spider-Man. I will not be reading any of these with the exception of She-Hulk. Money is too tight to get back into mass consumption collecting and, to be honest, I've had all I can stomach with the constant over-hype train rides companies keep pulling.

Also, if they're gonna inject Angela into the MU, could they not give her a better outfit? If you want to one-up Image and McFarlane, why not make an outfit that doesn't reek of the 90s gaudy design flaws.

Baresark:

Super Not Cosmo:

I don't think you are going far enough. We need to represent more MINORITIES! Next time Galactus is in a story, they should make him a little person. Why make Puck a character in a story when you can make a little person one of the most powerful and ancient beings in the Marvel Universe. But other than that... you basically covered all the bases.

Good point! We still need a little person, and a disabled person! Ok, Dr Strange can be both a dwarf AND a plushie and Inferno now walks with a limp. Bases covered! Diversity for the mother fucking win!

Super Not Cosmo:

Baresark:

Super Not Cosmo:

Good point! We still need a little person, and a disabled person! Ok, Dr Strange can be both a dwarf AND a plushie and Inferno now walks with a limp. Bases covered! Diversity for the mother fucking win!

After this... this literally feels like a Marvel version of Superfriends... Include just for the sake of inclusion.

So what's happening in in the Iron Man monthly that's going to turn him into iRon Man, and "harder to root for?" I know he's supposed to be a "jerk with a heart of gold" and he went through a lot in Fraction's run, but hasn't Marvel learned making him a hate able douchebag was a bad idea the last time they did that, Civil War?
Yeah, "Superior". Last time there was a guy like that on an Avengers team, it was Doc Ock in Spider-Man's body, and they were somehow none the wiser (a.k.a. the writer made them just dumb enough to catch on to his act).
On the plus side: looking forward to Sam Wilson as Cap, and Bucky's back on an Avengers team! I thought he'd be on the Secret Avengers by now!
btw, which team is this line up replacing? Uncanny? Mighty? Secret?

Wait is this a new "Avengers" team replacing the old one or just another team or is it a new "New Avengers" team and replacing the old "New Avengers".

Super Not Cosmo:

I know, right? They put in 4 females into the team - that's over 30%! Now some of their function might even be beyond a romance subplot. And don't get me started on FemThor. I mean, sure, a horse once wielded the Mjolnir, but a woman? Inconceivable! As for black Captain America, don't be too hung up about it. At least the white guys still outnumber the black guys.

I bet the New Ironman will be Stephen Hawkins. ;-)

Looks like a pretty solid line-up overall.

Some questions:

-Sooo, who IS female Thor?

-Are/have they explained specifically yet why Thor and Rogers are MIA yet?

-Are we going to see Sam Cap call birds to retrieve his shield after it's thrown?

-Is it possible for Doc Ock to be Superior Iron Man? I'd actually really like that considering his time in Peter's body gave him insight into being a hero (even if he's brutal about it).

-Is having two Inhumans going to connect with the Terrigen Mist dilemma that made Kamala the new Ms. Marvel? That seems like their territory.

008Zulu:

Eh, I dunno. Considering the track record of homogenized heroes, deciding to shake up the roster for one story line in a major way doesn't seem "trying too hard" to me. It just seems like "meh, let's try something really different, and see how the reception is".

I mean, given the social chatter out there about "give us a more diverse hero lineup!" it seems they're like "ok then, here you go, diversity engaged! enjoy!"

I don't read comics anymore, thanks to working in a comic shop for 2 years in the 90's *shudder*, but I'm all for branching out the story material to give more people something to enjoy and aspire to.

Let me guess, the new Ironman is going to really be a guy in a wheelchair.
-_-

Anyone that grew up on after school specials of the 80s and 90s will know what I'm getting at.

Baresark:
After this... this literally feels like a Marvel version of Superfriends... Include just for the sake of inclusion.

Always funny how when another straight white male character comes out, you'll get a mass of people going on and on about how it's the artist's decision and we should respect that, but come out with a black or female character, and things like artistic vision and freedom completely disappear to be replaced by whining about how this is inclusion for inclusion's sake. Apparently, artists can't choose to make anything but straight white men for artistic reasons, only cynical ones.

vid87:
-Are/have they explained specifically yet why Thor and Rogers are MIA yet?

Can't really answer the others, but this has been explained a bit. Thor was found unworthy to wield Mjolnir for some reason (I've seen someone suggest it was for destroying a bunch of Asgard and letting Loki out) and this time someone else picked it up rather than wait for Thor to get worthy again. Rogers was hit by some special needles that drained his super serum and made him age 60 years instantly, meaning that he can't really be Captain America anymore.

Are these the characters they really wanted to create? Or are these the characters they were obligated to create in order to appease some PC checklist? If its the former more power to them. If its the latter that is not something we should be celebrating.

Diversity? What diversity? All I'm seeing is a great deal of red. Red and bits of grey. Thumbs up. :P

On a more serious note, I wonder if any of this will make it over to the movie 'verse. Probably not, considdering how much comics love their status quo. The only thing I'm seeing as likely is Cap. America being replaced.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)