Warner Bros. Acquires Rights for Space Invaders Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warner Bros. Acquires Rights for Space Invaders Movie

Space Invaders

Warner Bros. is producing a Space Invaders movie.

Warner Bros. Pictures, still enjoying the high from The Lego Movie, has just attained the intellectual property rights to the 1978 arcade classic Space Invaders in preparation for a film adaption.

In addition to this announcement, Akiva Goldsman was mentioned as being producer for the film.

Goldsman has worked on the hit TV show Fringe, was a writer for I, Robot and The Da Vinci Code, as well as a producer for I Am Legend and Lone Survivor. Joby Harold and Tory Tunnel will also be accompanying Goldsman as producers for the movie.

Although Space Invaders doesn't have a robust narrative--it's just aliens slowly descending to Earth while they're being shot at by missiles on the ground--The Lego Movie managed to still be entertaining and successful. But then again, there is Battleship.

Didn't someone already make a Space Invaders movie? Ya know, Independence Day?

Futurama already did it better

008Zulu:
Didn't someone already make a Space Invaders movie? Ya know, Independence Day?

Was gonna say the same thing.

I mean the concept is so generic that really do you need the brand name recognition?

I think it's doomed if it tries to be a serious drama. If it's a loving, playful ride like the Lego Movie then it would probably be great. Because the alternative is a bunch of white dudes sitting in a bunker shooting aliens as they slowly descend, pewing cities.

*facepalms and sighs* hello.....revenge of Battleship.....but with space invaders instead........Hollywood...stahp...just..don't do it

Well one good thing, it won't be hard for it to be better then Battleship the movie.

This has "DISASTER" written all over it - I don't know about you guys, but I think I'll save my quarters for THE GAME, thank you very much...

How exactly are they going to do this without it becoming a generic alien invasion movie with name recognition attached?

Crackerjacks:
I think it's doomed if it tries to be a serious drama.

I disagree- it should go all 'The Room' and have super serious characters dealing with a ridiculous plot. Bonus points if they shamelessly put this footage in somewhere:

*Sigh*

Do any film studios ever stop and think about HOW they expect their film concept to work before deciding to put it into film?

I swear, if it weren't for the success of Prince of Persia, I would've suspected Hollywood was deliberately conspiring to make bad film adaptations of video games..

I'm guessing they're gonna play up the perspective of the aliens. I mean, we already know how gun-happy the defenders of Earth are going to be. Maybe there will be a unique spin on the alien-invader trope. I'm sure nobody would want to greenlight something that's been overplayed and is too much of a safe bet.

If it ends up having a great story with interesting characters and is written really well, I'll be happy. If it was a senseless action film like Battleship, I'll still be happy. One way or another, I'll be entertained.

Dear Hollywood, stop attempting to further capitalize on every goddamn game or TV show by movieizing it..

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

Oh well. I'll guess we'll have to sit in a theater and watch a spaceship at the bottom of the screen desperatlely trying to destroy the last alien.

Go ahead and make a Tetris movie while you're at it.

What.

This is a dumb idea.

Now a Missile Command movie, that would be amazing.

You know, I seen the shields being used but I never played a space invaders with one. Did they take it out somewhere along the line?

And this movie is gonna suck. If battleship was bad, you know this will awful. I am willing to bet its worse than the Room and battleship put together.

RealRT:

Strangely, I could see the plot of the Tetris'd flashes making a working Tetris plot, UNLESS you made it all one big Soviet Union reference in feature length, based upon...

The problem is that if you give the right people a challenge, they'll try ANYTHING.

OT: Anyway, I feel this idea was effectively covered in Wreck-It Ralph.

bdcjacko:
Futurama already did it better

I was just going to say that... and then add that, if the Space Invaders movie did come out in theaters, it probably wouldn't make as much sense as how Futurama did it beforehand...

Seriously, Hollywood... It's like you know how ridiculous/shitty/"has been done better" this is going to be/feel like in the long run, but by subversion standards, you just don't give a fuck...

RealRT:

Pong - the Movie!

Kind of done before (but that was only in german, like 3 minutes long and also a pacman crossover) as seen here:

Then again, Hollywood will try ANYTHING to make money, so Pong - the Movie may be a thing in the future. After the release of Battleship, a very old announcement of a Rollercoaster Tycoon movie and now Space Invaders, I expect Pong to become a thing, too (and most likely be a sport-drama about a drug-addicted tennis-player or something, not containging any tennis)

Gah, what a terrible idea...well, excepting that it has a good chance of making them a profit.

But...why don't they make a bunch of Mario movies? Mario fights a big ape, Mario drives around at dangerous speeds etc...all very popular stuff in movies.

Only rename Mario as "Chuck" and make him more stereotypical American.

If they try and make this a generic alien movie, it's going to suck big time. I think going the surreal-action-adventure-comedy route could work though. I can see it now, four friends go on a road trip to a Space Invader tournament, getting drunk, arguing over who drives, testing their friendship while playing the various hand-held space invaders titles together in the back of the van. Then, they get to the tournament, and a "Dusk Till Dawn-style" genre-flip happens when they're transported back in time to '78 to fight off alien invaders, and save the Japanese economy from a yen shortage caused by the game. I smell Oscar...

Old people ask "why...?" Younger people ask "What's that?". None say "Awesome!!"

Uh, wha-

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how the hell you're going to make a movie where the source material barely even has a story in the first place. I don't see how that would work. Also, how desperate do you have to be to make a movie based on a game that's more than 30 years old?

If they don't take themselves too seriously and go for a bit of a tounge-in-cheek tone, it might work. It would interest me, at least. But looking at the repertoire of the producer, I highly doubt it. My pessimistic side is telling me that it's probably going to be another generic action-drama invasion movie.

Low hopes for this one, I'm afraid.

Adam Locking:
If they try and make this a generic alien movie, it's going to suck big time. I think going the surreal-action-adventure-comedy route could work though. I can see it now, four friends go on a road trip to a Space Invader tournament, getting drunk, arguing over who drives, testing their friendship while playing the various hand-held space invaders titles together in the back of the van. Then, they get to the tournament, and a "Dusk Till Dawn-style" genre-flip happens when they're transported back in time to '78 to fight off alien invaders, and save the Japanese economy from a yen shortage caused by the game. I smell Oscar...

Like this. Dude, I would watch the hell out of this movie if they made it like this!

Forget that who owns spaced invaders and when will they make a new one?

It is entirely possible Warners doesn't intend to make a film here. Film studios buy movie rights all the time just to sit on them so no one else can use them. In the 90's, Disney bought a script to a film named "Hockey," just because they feared someone else would make a Hockey movie. Assuming the script wasn't reworked into Mighty Ducks 3 or something, we have never and will never see what that film is.

Although, I do wonder why Warner Brothers would buy the rights NOW. It isn't like Space Invaders is a hot property right now that MUST be adapted, or that it would make it significantly harder to make alien invasion films if one wish (just think of all the video games studios could buy the film rights that involve alien invasions).

Sigh, it's not like you can't make a good movie with the name space invaders, I just wonder why this and not something that actually should get a movie, like earthbound or mass effect.

How the hell are you going to make a 2 hour or even a 90 minute script out of "Space ship shoot aliens"?

Funny how stuff that sounded ludicrous 4 years ago, is seriously being done now.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/space-invaders-movie-script-leaked/

That's from 2010.

You know what, I'm not even mad. I just want to see where this goes and hope it's as lolsy as Battleship.

Youknow we won't have hit bottom until they make a live action Pac Man starring Ben Stiller.

Glaice:
Dear Hollywood, stop attempting to further capitalize on every goddamn game or TV show by movieizing it..

Yah see, most of the movie industry is just like Nintendo. Scrabbling for concepts so desperately that its insane they don't just make new stuff, or just continuously making the same things.

You know what...good! No really, I hope they make a movie from Space Invaders. Why? Because either they will pull off a miracle and create a masterpiece or it will be the single worst thing ever created by man. It will be a singularity of stupid that shall swallow the entire galaxy in a black hole of pure inane stupidity and awfulness. Micheal Bay will weep in shame that it did what he could not.

Esmeralda Portillo:
writer for I, Robot and The Da Vinci Code, as well as a producer for I Am Legend

Jokes about making a fucking Space Invaders movies aside, that is not a resume that bodes at all well.

Hmmm....I'm definitely thinking this is Battleship territory. As terrible as the Battleship movie was, it was still a somewhat success. Yes, if flopped pretty hard stateside but it brought in a large sum of cash from the overseas market. I can't imagine in what way a Space Invaders movie might be good but I'm ready to be surprised. Perhaps they'll just accepted to goofiness of the whole thing and play up more like comedy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here