Sean Bean Wants to Return as Ned Stark in Game of Thrones

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sean Bean Wants to Return as Ned Stark in Game of Thrones

Ned Stark Game of Thrones

Sean Bean, who played Ned Stark in the first season of Game of Thrones, expresses that he wants to return to the show and says he has "unfinished business that needs to be resolved." Read on to see how this could be a possibility (major spoilers inbound!).

Could Ned Stark be making a return to Westeros? If Sean Bean, the actor who portrays Stark in the hit HBO TV series, has his way, then yes, he very much would like to. Now, if you've watched Game of Thrones' first season, then you know how hard that would be to do since Ned gets offed in a rather unexpected and spectacular way. However, there's still a chance of Bean reprising his role in the series, and one he's comfortable in doing since the actor says he has "unfinished business that needs to be resolved there."

Now, before you read on, I must warn you that the info discussed below, as well as Bean's answers will involve heavy spoilers from the books. So if you haven't read A Dance with Dragons, I suggest turning back right now.

Still here? Good. In an interview with Vulture, Bean was asked that since he's close to wrapping up his latest film, he might have a window in his schedule to appear in Game of Thrones if the showrunners needed him back for flashbacks in season five. Bean excitedly (yes, he was described as excited) replied with, "Are they? Really?" before it was described how his role would play out. Once again, if you don't want any part of the books spoiled for you, I suggest turning back now. For the sake of clarity, we've included both the question and answer for easy reference.

I could be wrong, but I think they might show flashbacks via Bran's connection to the heart trees.

Bean: Oh, yeah, yeah! And I'm his father, so that would be great fun! Just to go back to that for a while, it would be such fun to do. It would be great! It would be bizarre, but it would be great! So I guess if they're going to do flashbacks, then yeah!

Well, it's just my theory ...

Bean: But it's a good theory! And that should happen, shouldn't it? I've definitely got some unfinished business that needs to be resolved there. I'm obviously not Jon Snow's dad. And you need that to be revealed at some point, don't you? So Bran would kind of be the one having the flashback, and he would see Ned praying, right? And revealing those things? You never know what those guys are going to do with that. It's got to be something special. But I'm into that. I certainly would be into that. Print that! Give them a nudge. [Laughs.] Hopefully I'll get a call soon.

If you've been paying attention, which is easier to do when you're reading the book series than watching it, then you'd know that George R.R. Martin has left little hints here and there that suggests that Ned really isn't Snow's dad. If you want more info regarding this famous fan theory, then I suggest using Google to find out what this points to and how it could change the Game of Thrones landscape.

Should Ned come back to the show? Even in a flashback scene? Personally, I'm all for it given Bean's an excellent actor. But with HBO not afraid to recast roles in Game of Thrones, even that isn't a done deal.

Source: Vulture

If they do that and somehow still not get Lady Stoneheart in, then people should stock up on popcorn because the internet will be delicious next year!

If Ghost-Bean returns in a flashback, will he still manage a re-death somehow?

I for one would love to see Sean Bean's head back just flying around and giving sagely advice.

I love Sean Bean as an actor, but I would only want him to come back to the show if it actually adds and enhance the story. Maybe bring him back as a white walker, or a Groot like dude with his spirit in it. This is fantasy, they can do anything with it, but flashbacks are the weakest of them all.

ExtraDebit:
I love Sean Bean as an actor, but I would only want him to come back to the show if it actually adds and enhance the story. Maybe bring him back as a white walker, or a Groot like dude with his spirit in it. This is fantasy, they can do anything with it, but flashbacks are the weakest of them all.

Yeah. Unless you actually care about adopting the source material.

There are a lot of flashbacks in the later books, where various characters tell about various important events. (and a particularly relevant tourney)

I keep wondering how far the show can drift from the source material. What happens if Jojen becomes a major and important character in the books?

But they managed to merge Gendry and another character into one. I suppose they can do anything.

Gorfias:
I keep wondering how far the show can drift from the source material. What happens if Jojen becomes a major and important character in the books?

But they managed to merge Gendry and another character into one. I suppose they can do anything.

Martin signs off on the scripts, if jojen became important he probably would have told them to not kill him. or they have his future role covered by somebody else but i don't think he are gonna have a dobby situation here.

honestly i would like for ned stark to return for flashbacks and maybe some kind of guiding voice for Bran in his dreams because if you can get sean bean use him.

"Ned Stark Actor..."

Why not just call him Sean Bean? He's hardly an obscure actor.

As for Ned Stark's return, I suppose that it's possible. The show don't deal with flashback's a whole lot, but there are always exceptions.

I could imagine Bran's powers to get so strong that he can see dead people and then Ned's ghost gives him advice. But other than that? The series doesn't really seem to use flashbacks at all.

Another possible thing would be a prequel/spinoff series, showing the conflict that lead to the Targarians being culled and to Baratheon becoming king. It would also be a good place to reveal the parentage of John Snow.

I get the feeling the title should be 'Sean Bean Wants to Return to Game of Thrones'. I mean he's pretty well known by this point.

So..he hasn't read the books?

MercurySteam:
I get the feeling the title should be 'Sean Bean Wants to Return to Game of Thrones'. I mean he's pretty well known by this point.

Fair point. Updated it. =)

He should totally return as one of those Force Ghosts from Star Wars.

teebeeohh:

Martin signs off on the scripts, if jojen became important he probably would have told them to not kill him. or they have his future role covered by somebody else but i don't think he are gonna have a dobby situation here.

That assumes that he has a plan. Doesn't he pretty much make it up as he goes along?

Dead used to mean dead. But when you throw magic in to the mix, suddenly the Big Goodbye is more like "see you later." Considering that the last two books aren't close to being finished yet, I'd say there is every possibility that Dead Ned will be back.

I suppose part of the contract will be that ghost Ned will have to die/be sacrificed/soul eradicated.

Sure I suppose, if it adds to the story. Sean Bean is pretty cool. Can we fit in a nightmare where he dies? I mean, it is Sean Bean! He needs to die, it is basically a requirement at this point.

ResonanceSD:
So..he hasn't read the books?

Most actors don't read books their shows/films are based on, it is not advised. One issue being for example that shows and films often need to change things, so that can impact your acting and so on and so on.

I'm pretty sure the showrunners have an explicit policy against flashbacks, so I'm not quite sure how this would work. I guess they could have Bran going on a vision quest while he's with the Three-Eyed Raven, which would be kind of cool. If it turns out that Ned isn't Jon's father, though, I worry that it's not going to work on TV, since we've barely heard anything about what happened with Rhaegar and Lyanna. I don't know that they've even mentioned the Tower of Joy. Honestly, I sort of hope they don't reveal Jon's parentage either way. The only way we'll find out is if he decides to go and visit Howland Reed, which doesn't seem too likely to happen.

All these things aside, I would like to see him come back. If nothing else, it would be nice for one of the actors so responsible for kicking off this phenomenon to get to play the character one last time.

teebeeohh:

Gorfias:

honestly i would like for ned stark to return for flashbacks and maybe some kind of guiding voice for Bran in his dreams because if you can get sean bean use him.

They may have to use him for a sort of flashback. Bran, when attached to a tree in the book, saw visions of the past, of people who could not see him. I do not recall if his dad was in one of the visions or not. I think he was.

I don't think that recasting will be an issue; the show doesn't recast it's major characters. All the recasts so far have been for comparatively minor roles, or roles that wee minor prior to the recasting.

Besides, they're never gonna fucking recast Sean Bean. Not only is he perfect as Ned, but he's a big name actor.

It would make sense for Bran to see his father in the past through the weirwood in Winterfell. I could certainly imagine such a scene, and it wouldn't go against anything that's already happened (or could happen) in the books. In fact, I'd be surprised if Bran doesn't end up with some revelations with his newfound powers. Otherwise, what is the point of putting such abilities into the narrative to begin with?

No matter how I try my brain keeps processing this as:

Mr. Bean to be on Game of Thrones.

After Lady Stoneheart I was hoping Ned would come back in some way in the books but alas nothing yet. Probably not possible since his body is nothing but bones now I believe but one can hope. Skeleton Ned ftw

Zachary Amaranth:
He should totally return as one of those Force Ghosts from Star Wars.

teebeeohh:

That assumes that he has a plan. Doesn't he pretty much make it up as he goes along?

i assume he has some kind of plan, i remember reading that he wrote an outline of what happens in the story, to be used for the show in case he dies before finishing the books because he wants to have the story finished but doesn't want anybody else to write books. maybe he read dune or something.

teebeeohh:

i assume he has some kind of plan, i remember reading that he wrote an outline of what happens in the story, to be used for the show in case he dies before finishing the books because he wants to have the story finished but doesn't want anybody else to write books. maybe he read dune or something.

Fair enough, though I haven't heard of him doing such a thing. I've got similar going on, though I don't do it with the idea of someone else finishing my hackjob in mind. It's more just for internal consistency. I don't map out every detail before I write, but I know where things are going.

It's always described as though Martin doesn't even have that. Which would utterly amaze me, but I don't preclude the possibility that it's true.

Hmm, I don't agree with people that Sean Bean would have to die again. The "Sean Bean Must Die Concordance" clearly stipulates that the actor [Sean Bean] must die at least once at some point within the context of the overarching story. Seeing as the show is a continuous story they have fulfilled their obligation and thus are under no obligation to kill him a second time.

They are however encouraged to do so.

Funfact: The sole reason the second Silent Hill movie was made was to avoid punishment for not adhering to the SBMDC the first time.

Exterminas:

ExtraDebit:

There are a lot of flashbacks in the later books, where various characters tell about various important events. (and a particularly relevant tourney)

Was that the one the Reeds told Bran and Rickon? Because that never made sense to me, and Googling seems to bring up other pople asking the question, and others going "Lol, you don't get it? What a nubcake."

Could you be more specific with the spoiler guidance?

"So if you haven't read A Dance with Dragons" doesn't mean much to someone who hasn't read the books periods. I do not know the order of the books, nor where the show lines up in terms of progression.

Point being, mention a minimum episode/season number of just a clear indication that said book is beyond the current television point.

In any case, I still don't know if I can get away with actually reading the post or not, and fear risking a google.

Thank you for the spoiler alert...I've restarted ADWD cause I stopped a long time ago and couldn't remember where i stopped so i stared again today...so Kudos for that...

Jadak:
Could you be more specific with the spoiler guidance?

"So if you haven't read A Dance with Dragons" doesn't mean much to someone who hasn't read the books periods. I do not know the order of the books, nor where the show lines up in terms of progression.

Point being, mention a minimum episode/season number of just a clear indication that said book is beyond the current television point.

In any case, I still don't know if I can get away with actually reading the post or not, and fear risking a google.

Since the TV series jumps around between books like crazy, this would be impossible. Some scenes from the series are from the end of book 5 (such as with Bran), while others are only up to about book 3 (Tyrion for example). Others, like the Martells, are missing entirely from the story so far, so you're only through the second book as far as they're concerned.

Then there's the dozens of scenes (and entire episodes) that aren't even from the books at all, but that's another story.

Reaper195:

Exterminas:

ExtraDebit:

Was that the one the Reeds told Bran and Rickon? Because that never made sense to me, and Googling seems to bring up other pople asking the question, and others going "Lol, you don't get it? What a nubcake."

Exterminas:

I knew all that, but which particular tourney were you referring to? I might be remembering a different part of the book (Which I'm certain was the third), but there was some mysterious black knight and that Jojen (SP?) Reed was surprised Ned had never told Bran about it.

Reaper195:

Exterminas:

I knew all that, but which particular tourney were you referring to? I might be remembering a different part of the book (Which I'm certain was the third), but there was some mysterious black knight and that Jojen (SP?) Reed was surprised Ned had never told Bran about it.

I think they refer to it as they Tourney near the Eye (That lake) and I believe the occaision was Rhaegar's birthday. But I am not sure on the details. I just remember that mutliple people across the latter books remember and/or mention events that took place there. Jojen is among them, I think

Exterminas:

Reaper195:

Exterminas:

I think they refer to it as they Tourney near the Eye (That lake) and I believe the occaision was Rhaegar's birthday. But I am not sure on the details. I just remember that mutliple people across the latter books remember and/or mention events that took place there. Jojen is among them, I think

It was the tourney of Harrenhall, as for a return of Ned Stark I wouldn't mind seeing what happened at the Tower of Joy. Particularly as Dorne is coming into the TV story line along with Darkstar, it would be a good time to settle some facts and introduce some other plot lines.

I love sean bean he is so good at getting killed, he and liam neesen should have a top 100 death scene shoot-out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here