EA Unveils Sims 4 Premium Membership

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA Unveils Sims 4 Premium Membership

Similar to Battlefield's premium service, a Sims 4 premium subscription includes early access to new expansion packs.

In the latest Sims 4 demo video from EA, a brief advertisement, visible for only one second, suggests the game will have a premium service. EA has a similar service for Battlefield.

The advertisement appears at 13:26 into the 30-minute video and reads: "The Sims 4 Premium. Save on new packs with early access and exclusive items. Become a Premium member to get early access to three new packs, with exclusive items. Your Sims can throw a spooky costume party, camp in the great outdoors, and toast to the new year in style."

This would be the first time a Sims game had a membership as opposed to a premium edition that includes bonus content with the game. The premium membership appears to be an early access experiment for EA.

There are a few directions this membership could go. Expansion packs for The Sims are pricey, so a membership that provides a less expensive way for fans to access all content. However, it's hard not to be wary of what kind of monetization EA will do with this service.

Earlier this month, EA stated previous staples of the titles, like pools and toddlers, would not be included in The Sims 4 at launch because it could not include every feature by launch. EA will likely add pools and toddlers later on.

The Sims 4 launches September 2.

Source: YouTube via SimsVIP

A p- a pr- a pre-... a premium subscription?

How about you put pools with the base game first you fucking money parasites?

...And not a single part of any of what is planned will function adequately on release, I imagine.

Ah, fuck it. Let's go bowling.

Want your pools and toddlers? Better sign up for the premium subscription!

But of course they added a premium subscription.

Another company might focus on making the launch game something I would consider buying but this is EA.

I've been a fan of The Sims for over a decade, and I'm not usually one to hop on the "EA IS EVIL" bandwagon, but this is sooooome bullshit. Announcing this AFTER revealing that core content would be removed from the base Sims 4 game is garbage. I was really looking forward to The Sims 4 but at this point it's not a day-one purchase anymore, if I get it at all.

wetfart:
Want your pools and toddlers? Better sign up for the premium subscription!

Read that in DiMartino's voice.

On topic, it's EA. I've long since stopped giving a damn what they try to do because it will inevitably come back and bite us in the ass with a poorly thought out payment structure. They should really just give up on the Publishing/Development thing and become what they /really/ want to be, a Credit Card Company.

At least they had the decency to not include pools and toddlers in the first add-on packs. I suppose they wanted to save that PR Nightmare for later.

I suppose in a year or so when they release it they'll just claim that it was only through truly Herculean levels of skill were their teams able to add in such complex features. (And indeed, the effort required is why you should give them $40 for this new pack)

*sigh*

I feel bad for my sister, considering that she has plans on getting this game. I fear she may end up signing up for the service.

Yup... It's clear that as far as ea is concerned. we are not people. You are simply sponges soaked in money that must be wrung out.

Believe me I see this going just as well as their SImCIty thing. Personally never been a big fan of the Sims. No seriously, it's foun for like a day but then it gets boring as hell.

Sarah LeBoeuf:
Announcing

You might want to watch the video, they didn't announce shit.

EA, taking games that have no business having subscription, premium, and F2P business models, and trying to fit that round peg through that square hole.

Well, it turned out great for SimCity.
And I hear Dead Space 3 was embraced for having microtransactions.
And Battlefield 4 was totally not broken for an entire year but still charged premiums for content.
And Spore's DRM totally stopped it from being the most pirated game ever at release.
And Dungeon Keeper is a huge success with it's F2P business model.

EA, the company that wins worst company in America two years in a row, and then absolutely refuses to learn any lessons whatsoever or change a damn thing.

I'm usually a big fan of The Sims, but between this shit and the fact they've taken simple stuff out of the game (inevitably to sell back later), EA can get fucked with this one.

EA is what happens when you let business people make decisions...ever.

Let's assume that Dungeon Keeper Mobile was the model -- so you can expect a game where it's virtually impossible to do anything without shelling out money every 5 minutes, where EA then responds with "Oh, we just innovated too far ahead for you lesser folks to understand."

This won't be the death of the franchise, but the sooner that EA splinters off into actually productive studios again, the better.

Instead of a long tirade I'll just skip to a brief summary comment

Oh Screw This!!

Knew this was happening.

Guys: Get the sims 3 on steam right now if you want a sims game, otherwise they will take it down when the sims 4 comes up. Because right now the sims 4 looks like a big turd laid softly on top of gamers' heads. If you want a good recent sims game at all, sims 3 is your last hope.

They have been rumoring that sims 3 will be unplugged when sims 4 comes out, and since steam takes down games without their online support its best to get your copies now or when they are on the next sale. You can still download it from steam and play it, but steam can't sell it anymore.

So its good practice to buy old games that you liked in the past or are interested in to ensure you have them forever. Its the reason I bought Evil Genius and Max Payne 1 & 2.

Sims 3 has been on a lot of sales lately, and normally that means they are sponging up the last sales before support finally ends and steam inevitably takes it down.

I would say go retail but that is tied to origin and as we all know origin is shit and was found to be spying on you recently.

I got my sims 3 collection completed beforehand because I knew the sims 4 would be a huge turd tied with origin. So since it doesn't use origin I am completely set forever. Sims 4 will be a rehash of sims 3 expansions anyway, and the world size is much smaller than the sims 3.

Don't believe me? Here is a list of shit they cut:

The sims 3 gave you control of every lot. And had no loading screens beyond the ones where you travel to a whole new world. The world could fit as many sims as you can jam into it. Story progression lets sims do things like age and change jobs when you weren't playing with that family. So other households aged and changes along with the household you are playing as.

The sims 4 has less content than the base game for the sims 3.

EA is that kid in school who is a complete dick to everyone, yet still has friends. Seems though EA is about to graduate college with a 2.0 and get into the real world and realize that suddenly it has no friends anymore.

NOPE.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

NOPE.

I'M PERMANENTLY STUCK IN NOPE MODE.

Screw SimCity, THIS is a truly unmitigated disaster, because they're freaking announcing the trainwreck before it happens. I mean, "premium membership" that doesn't even get you free expansion packs? EA, y u no trying anymore?

Wait, they're doing early access for DLC now?! What the fuck is wrong with you EA?
How do you even do that? It's fucking DLC, as in "content that should be available to ANYONE and EVERYONE who bought your piece of shit game in the first place".

Oh my god...

This is just disgusting.

The Need for Greed continues, welcome to EA.

I just cannot force myself not only to care about their releases but to even laugh at them anymore, they and Ubisoft are two huge jokes that haven't been funny for quite some time already.

Wow....

Gotta say EA, you're like the world limbo champion, every time it seems you can't get any lower, you somehow find a way to surpass our expectations.

Ultratwinkie:
If you want a good recent sims game at all, sims 3 is your last hope.

Sims 3 put me off with its money grubbing even back then, like hell it's something to recommend now just cos sims 4 is even worst. I remember my first sims 3 experience being all "wtf did all my favorite haircuts and clothes go to?" only to find you now had to pay for them... Swiftly uninstalled.

Sims 2 was the last good sims game where you actually got the content you paid for without any BS!

I've only just started splashing about in Sims 3 and aren't interested in anything Sims 4 has advertised so far so this continuing evil just makes me coo at the adorable toddler!Darth Vader impression.

Whose an evil company? Who is? You are! Oh yes you are! Oh yes you are! Ohhhboobooboobooooooooo etc.

Ugh, AGAIN with you, EA. One step forward, two steps back.

Frankster:
Wow....

Gotta say EA, you're like the world limbo champion, every time it seems you can't get any lower, you somehow find a way to surpass our expectations.

Ultratwinkie:
If you want a good recent sims game at all, sims 3 is your last hope.

Sims 3 put me off with its money grubbing even back then, like hell it's something to recommend now just cos sims 4 is even worst. I remember my first sims 3 experience being all "wtf did all my favorite haircuts and clothes go to?" only to find you now had to pay for them... Swiftly uninstalled.

Sims 2 was the last good sims game where you actually got the content you paid for without any BS!

Sims 2 had money grubbing too. A lot of the expansions were just rehashes of sims 1 expansions with much less stuff. It was worse because they didn't change a single thing. Things like Open for Business were buggy disasters that never worked right.

Sims 1 was a MASSIVE game. An absolutely massive game full of life and stuff. I played it when it was new at a friend's house and it was one of the biggest reasons I wanted a PC over a console. Consoles just didn't offer that much freedom at the time.

Sims 2 came and made it much smaller and less alive. Sims 3 came back, and made it bigger and much more open.

I use the Red County map mod, its gigantic. The Los Angeles map is huge too. With the NRAAS mods there is no contest.

The store is where you go to get extra items that clash with the rest of the game. Its largely useless and just there to sell you new styles you could have created yourself. You get free sim points for every expansion you buy, and clothes are cheap.

You don't have to pay for anything. The only things that matter are in the expansions, and that's where the meat of the game is. It adds so much you never want to go back to the base game. Supernatural alone adds 50% more ingredients and adds new effects to existing ones. Ambitions adds interactive careers. University adds peer groups, education system, smart phones, and social media. World Adventures adds tomb raiding and more plants. The list goes on.

Racecarlock:
A p- a pr- a pre-... a premium subscription?

How about you put pools with the base game first you fucking money parasites?

You said what I was thinking, but with more sweary.

EA Games. Pay for Everything(c)

I'm not one to wish loss on others, but I admit that I want Sims 4 to fail in some ways. Not out of spite, because there are lots of people that enjoy the series. Rather, I don't see how else EA can be saved but by way of financial spankings.

I'm trying to understand this.

So, you have to pay for a premium membership, which in turn will let you pay for dlc earlier than anyone else?

So you're basically giving them money for the right to give them more money sooner?

Am I getting this?

WTF, JUST WTF. They cut out ALLL this shit, and are now going to charge for what should be in the base fucking game.....wow.....just im amazed at how greedy these fucks are, and they are not even making any effort to hide that fact. I thought the sims expansions took the piss abit but now this is bullshit.

well those fucks are never getting a penny from me again.

You know I'd feel "bad" for people getting all angry about it but...you buy EA games. You are simply asking to be treated in this way so why buy them...and if you don't...than what does it matter to you?
Its not like they haven't been this way for ages.

I personally don't think this'll put butts in seats, but EA run the yard for a reason so maybe they know something I don't.

Ultratwinkie:
snip

Fair enough, I actually never touched any sims expansions xD So am only comparing the vanilla games I played, and in that case whatever improvements Sims 3 had were lost on me when I realized that much of the customization options that were there in 2 were now locked behind a paywall. Though I'm confused as that seems to clash with what you're saying.

The idea that I have to buy expansions to enjoy the "real" game doesn't sit well with me though, sims 1 stood damn fine on its own and sims 2 entertained my dormitory at boarding school for over 2 years! When Sims 3 was bought (this time at a uni dormitory) though pretty much everyone there with me at the "inauguration" was like wtf? and walked away, never to speak of the game again.

Yay for jumping to conclusions. This "Sims 4 Premium" sounds EXACTLY like the Premium edition of the game. Seriously. EA makes enough bad moves that we shouldn't have to make things up out of nothing.

Frankster:

Ultratwinkie:
snip

Fair enough, I actually never touched any sims expansions xD So am only comparing the vanilla games I played, and in that case whatever improvements Sims 3 had were lost on me when I realized that much of the customization options that were there in 2 were now locked behind a paywall. Though I'm confused as that seems to clash with what you're saying.

The idea that I have to buy expansions to enjoy the "real" game doesn't sit well with me though, sims 1 stood damn fine on its own and sims 2 entertained my dormitory at boarding school for over 2 years! When Sims 3 was bought (this time at a uni dormitory) though pretty much everyone there with me at the "inauguration" was like wtf? and walked away, never to speak of the game again.

Clothing got cut so you could make your own.

In fact, let me get my favorite showcase of the create a style:

go to 20 seconds.

There is less stuff there bevause you create it through create a style. Its the best innovation in the series yet.

I make my sims sleep on beds of solid gold. Even the pillows. because I can. I make my sims drive cars made of gold. because I can.

The base game is fine, but the more exciting stuff happens in the expansions.

Into the future: changing the future.
seasons: aliens come in, adds holidays, adds ticket redeem system and temperature simulation.
Supernatural: zombies, werewolves, fairies, and magic. Heavy content.
ambitions: ghosthunting, robot building, etc. heavy content.
World Adventure: become a mummy, fight mummies, make wine, explore the world. heavy content.
Generations: adds basic age events to the game.
Late Night: Vampires, fame system. etc.
University: social media ties into fame system, and ties into every facet of the game. Education system. adds drugs. adds beer. adds coffee houses and many other recreational buildings.
Island paradise: Adds scuba diving, adds resort business.
Showtime: become a performer.
pets: adds shit loads of minor pets, adds comeptition system, adds new careers.

all of the expansions tie into one another and interact. Talk to a vampire? Blog about meeting the vampire in a club. Fought a mummy? take a selfie. Building robots and furthering science? become famous for doing that. Use the future archives to win the lottery? Blog about it and become famous.

Ghost hunting? become famous for doing that.

The expansions adds so much the base game pales in comparison, even with the collectible systems it had. Throw in NRAAS and there is just no competition anymore.

Ultratwinkie:
snip

Wow that looks nothing like the Sims 3 I remember :o

Ok I'm convinced, is there some sort of Sims 3 Ultimate/GOTY edition by any chance just to make it easier on me regarding the many expansions though? xP

Edit: I mean jeez getting Sims 3 and all expansions on steam costs over 320!!!!!!!!!! D:
I'm not sure if I'm ready to fork out that much for the "true" sims experience.

Know what was good? Sims 3, it was a fun game. It was big, it was open, you could be very creative. They should've just made more expansions, I'd buy them.

In fact, I am gonna go reinstall sims 3 now. All this hogwash made me wanna play a good sims game.

They just seem to going out of their way to make sure I don't buy this game. You win EA, I am not buy this crap.

So John Riccitiello leaves. Video game fans believe it's because of business practices like this that drove down business. These practices actually increase after he leaves. Who's really in charge over at EA?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here