Forbes Crowns Iron Man's Robert Downey Jr. Top Earning Actor (Again)

Forbes Crowns Iron Man's Robert Downey Jr. Top Earning Actor (Again)

Iron Man 3: Robert Downey Jr

Surprising no one, Robert Downey Jr. is still raking in more cash than anyone else in Hollywood.

With an estimated $75 million earned between June 2013 and June 2014, Robert Downey Jr. has managed to maintain the top spot on Forbes' Top Earning Actors list for the second straight year. The next spot is a sharp drop, with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson earning $52 million. Aside from Downey, Johnson is the only other actor in this year's top five aside who also managed to crack Forbes' top five earners from last year.

Because we know you're curious, here's the full Top Earning Actors list:

1. Robert Downey Jr. - $75 million
2. Dwayne Johnson - $52 million
3. Bradley Cooper - $46 million
4. Leonardo DiCaprio - $39 million
5. Chris Hemsworth - $37 million
6. Liam Neeson - $36 million
7. Ben Affleck - $35 million
8. Christian Bale - $35 million
9. Will Smith - $32 million
10. Mark Wahlberg - $32 million

However, these figures are estimates and may not be set in stone: Forbes tallies salary figures based on talks with agents, producers, lawyers and others to calculate how much each actor earned from entertainment-related efforts from June 2013 to June 2014.

You can see Downey next in comedy-drama film The Judge hitting theaters October 10. But for seeing him reprise the role of Tony Stark -- which has helped Downey pull in these big numbers -- you'll have to wait for Avengers: Age of Ultron, due out in May 2015.. Meanwhile Johnson stars in this week'sHercules as well as Fast & Furious 7 and San Andreas in 2015.

Source: Forbes via Variety

Pah! I deny that DiCaprio deserves more money than Neeson.

OT: Between his performance as Tony Stark in four movies and Sherlock Holmes in two, it's small wonder he gets top bill. The man gets flat-out applause for his performance when seen in the movie theater by the whole audience.

Catcha: Metropolis

Batman still wins, sorry.

That list is awful void of women and doesn't do much better for colour. Lame.

Fancy Pants:

I'm not 100% but i'm pretty sure that forbes has separate lists for men and women, but, i guess 2 / 10 not being Caucasian isn't too bad as far as diversity goes. Could be better of course.

However, at least they aren't all US born. Got an Aussie, an Irishman and an Englishman on there. Sounds like there should be a joke in there somewhere lol

Although once upon a time, Nicole Kidman was the highest paid actor in the world

Fancy Pants:

Will Smith used to be the highest payed actor back in 2008 I think. Eddie Murphy was also on the list that year.

WWmelb:

Fancy Pants:

I'm not 100% but i'm pretty sure that forbes has separate lists for men and women, but, i guess 2 / 10 not being Caucasian isn't too bad as far as diversity goes. Could be better of course.

Separate lists? That seems silly. I can't really think of a reason to keep men and women separate here.

WWmelb:
However, at least they aren't all US born. Got an Aussie, an Irishman and an Englishman on there. Sounds like there should be a joke in there somewhere lol

So an Aussie, an Irishman and a Pom walk into a bar. They're all rich.

It was funnier in my head.

WWmelb:
Although once upon a time, Nicole Kidman was the highest paid actor in the world

Why her of all people? Nothing against her, but she's so bland and forgettable on screen. Hollywood, you and I need a word.

Well, it seems the female actors can earn about half as much as the men.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mfl45kfmk/kristen-stewart-6/

Not cool, Hollywood!

This has got to be the most crazy come-back ever.

I remember when he was still slumming it in Ally McBeal. It's hard to imagine he was once as low as pre-Sin City Mickey Rourke.

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

Seems about 40% overall to me. Although, 11million - 33million dollars.... i wouldn't call that bad earnings lol.

Top 10 Actresses 2013 in earnings

1 Angelina Jolie - 33m
2 Jennifer Lawrence - 26m
3 Kristen Stewart - 22m
4 Jennifer Aniston - 20m
5 Emma Stone - 16m
6 Charlize Theron - 15m
7 Sandra Bullock - 14m
8 Natalie Portman - 14m
9 Mila Kunis - 11m
10 Julia Roberts - 11m

However,

RDJ - 2 movies
DJ - 4 movies + WWE appearances + 2 producer credits
BC - 3 movies + SNL appearance + 1 producer credit
LDC - 2 movies + 3 Production credits
CH - 3 movies
LN - 5 movies
BA - 1 movie
CB - 2 movies
WS - 3 movies, 2 producer credits, 1 writing credit, various soundtrack credits
MW - 5 movies, 8 production credits

AJ - 1 movie, 1 production credit
JL - 3 movies
KS - 1 movie
JA - 2 movies, 2 production credits
ES - 2 movies, 1 short
CT - 1 movie, 1 production credit
SB - 1 movie, 1 short
NP - 1 movie, 1 short
MK - 3 movies, 1 tv spot, 1 ongoing tv role, 1 production credit
JR - 1 movie, 1 tv movie

Seems that apart from to anomalies on the Male side (Robert Downey Jr and Ben Affleck) Most of these guys are doing a whole lot of different work throughout the year (average of 5 credits for the year approx), whereas the highest earning women (with the exception of Mila Kunis)aren't doing as many different jobs throughout the year (Average of 2.7 credits approx for the year)

So maybe it is more there aren't enough other opportunities for women in hollywood more than there being a massive pay disparity? I dunno, i just found it interesting.

In normal employment i get very pissed off when women make less money than men, i just find it hard to sympathise in the $10million a year plus pay bracket lol.

WWmelb:

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

Seems about 40% overall to me. Although, 11million - 33million dollars.... i wouldn't call that bad earnings lol.

1 Angelina Jolie - 33m
3 Kristen Stewart - 22m
4 Jennifer Aniston - 20m
5 Emma Stone - 16m
6 Charlize Theron - 15m
7 Sandra Bullock - 14m
8 Natalie Portman - 14m
9 Mila Kunis - 11m
10 Julia Roberts - 11m

However,

RDJ - 2 movies
CH - 3 movies
LN - 5 movies
BA - 1 movie
CB - 2 movies

JL - 3 movies
KS - 1 movie
ES - 2 movies, 1 short
SB - 1 movie, 1 short
NP - 1 movie, 1 short
JR - 1 movie, 1 tv movie

Seems that apart from to anomalies on the Male side (Robert Downey Jr and Ben Affleck) Most of these guys are doing a whole lot of different work throughout the year (average of 5 credits for the year approx), whereas the highest earning women (with the exception of Mila Kunis)aren't doing as many different jobs throughout the year (Average of 2.7 credits approx for the year)

So maybe it is more there aren't enough other opportunities for women in hollywood more than there being a massive pay disparity? I dunno, i just found it interesting.

In normal employment i get very pissed off when women make less money than men, i just find it hard to sympathise in the $10million a year plus pay bracket lol.

Nice write up. Lots of information to ponder on, for sure.

I won't lose any sleep over the millionaire making fewer millions than another. But I'd like to know why it's women making less, perhaps as you pointed out, for want of jobs. Given that the men weren't credited in acting roles that much more than women, I'm thinking it is an issue of demand. But I am sooo tired and need some sleep.

I'll save the world later :P

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

You could have at least picked a real actor -.-

Eiv:

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

It's a top ten list and she's the first on the slide show - number one.

Casual Shinji:
This has got to be the most crazy come-back ever.

I remember when he was still slumming it in Ally McBeal. It's hard to imagine he was once as low as pre-Sin City Mickey Rourke.

And he did it by playing the lead in a movie for geeks.

Also according to Forbes, the highest-paid actress is K-Stew with $34.5 million.

So the highest-paid actress makes less than half of what the highest-paid actor makes :P

Fancy Pants:

Eiv:

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

I know, I just think they are playing fast and loose with the term 'actor'

Fancy Pants:

WWmelb:

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

1 Angelina Jolie - 33m
3 Kristen Stewart - 22m
4 Jennifer Aniston - 20m
5 Emma Stone - 16m
6 Charlize Theron - 15m
7 Sandra Bullock - 14m
8 Natalie Portman - 14m
9 Mila Kunis - 11m
10 Julia Roberts - 11m

However,

RDJ - 2 movies
CH - 3 movies
LN - 5 movies
BA - 1 movie
CB - 2 movies

JL - 3 movies
KS - 1 movie
ES - 2 movies, 1 short
SB - 1 movie, 1 short
NP - 1 movie, 1 short
JR - 1 movie, 1 tv movie

Nice write up. Lots of information to ponder on, for sure.

I won't lose any sleep over the millionaire making fewer millions than another. But I'd like to know why it's women making less, perhaps as you pointed out, for want of jobs. Given that the men weren't credited in acting roles that much more than women, I'm thinking it is an issue of demand. But I am sooo tired and need some sleep.

I'll save the world later :P

It's easy... Action Movies... Action Movies typically bring in the big dollars and they bring in the larger Audiences Worldwide. You hear people across the globe clamor to see RDj or the Rock. Thus they get paid more. I would 6 or 7 of those guys are pure Action stars. Even the women higher up make their money from Action movies or Crazy Vampire flicks.

Eiv:

Fancy Pants:

Eiv:

I know, I just think they are playing fast and loose with the term 'actor'

You know, you might actually be right. I mean no offense to her as a person, but I could totally see a valid argument being made for her not actually acting in any of her movies.

Fancy Pants:

You know what? I agree. The likes of Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson deserve more than DiCaprio too. DAMN fine actors. Will Smith too.

FalloutJack:

Fancy Pants:

You know what? I agree. The likes of Morgan Freeman and Samuel L. Jackson deserve more than DiCaprio too. DAMN fine actors. Will Smith too.

I was totally thinking of Jackson too lol. That guy needs to be on every list.

Fancy Pants:

Not cool, Hollywood!

How nice of everyone here to be standing up for the rights of millionaires. Who used to be junkies. So egalitarian.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here