Apple's "iTime" Smartwatch Patent Covers Gesture Control, Smart Wristbands

Apple's "iTime" Smartwatch Patent Covers Gesture Control, Smart Wristbands

Apple iWatch iTime 310x

Apple's forthcoming wearable has sensors in the wristband, is part of a "personal wireless environment."

There's been no shortage of Android Wear news from Google this summer, but we've heard nary an official peep from Apple about its presumed foray into the smartwatch market. But the silence has seemingly been broken for the moment, as Apple Insider has come across a broad USPTO patent award to Apple for an "iTime" concept.

The iTime patent, which can be poured over here, has dashes of both old and new. References to the sixth generation iPod Nano -- the square job that every accessory company on the planet made a watch band for -- are made, but the outline also includes veiled references to Apple's future, specifically the changes coming with iOS 8.

In a nutshell, the patent describes a central, portable media player-style device that is secured within a detachable wristband. The latter component isn't just rubber or silicone, however, as the band has its own sensor suite that connects with the central PMP device. This is where gesture support comes in -- waiving your wrist or arm to trigger events or applications. "the gesture might be a horizontal movement for one user input option (e.g., decline incoming call)," says the patent description, "and might be a vertical movement for another user input option (e.g., accept incoming call)."

A detachable wristband also lines up perfectly with Apple's penchant for accessories. While a "Made for iWatch" program might be needed to keep participants in line with standards, it's easy to see why every company currently making iPhone accessories would want to jump on the Apple wearable bandwagon. Apple would manufacture the central component, and a handful of wristband options, but it's all about options (and collecting fees on those options).

As far as iOS is concerned, the iTime patent references a "personal wireless environment," which would likely work in harmony with Apple's plans for iOS 8 and OS X 10.10. If your home network can connect your iPhone and iMac, why not an iWatch as well. This all feeds into the continuous client future that Apple is laying the foundation for later this year.

Source; Apple Insider

Is it really too much trouble to just hit a button? Because I think making gestures to control your watch is more work than just hitting "ignore." Also, what happens when you're working out, and someone calls you while you're doing jumping jacks? The phone is going to go crazy trying to figure out what you tried to tell it to do.

AdmiralCheez:
Is it really too much trouble to just hit a button? Because I think making gestures to control your watch is more work than just hitting "ignore." Also, what happens when you're working out, and someone calls you while you're doing jumping jacks? The phone is going to go crazy trying to figure out what you tried to tell it to do.

I'm sure every gesture-controlled feature on such a device would have a touchscreen and/or button equivalent, my cheesy comrade.

-Devin Connors
Tech Editor, Lover of Cheese

Available soon in 2016 (or what ever year) for the low low Apple price of 2,000. So line up now sheeples at your nearest Apple Store. Seriously, LINE UP!!!

I see Apple is trying their hardest to stay relevant, and one has to applaud then for that. But in all honesty, all they do is sell exclusive hardware and offer the software where they have a monopoly. But I don't see this device in being of any use tbh. Think of using the Kinect v2 TV gestures for a wrist watch that costs as much as a new gaming rig or a nice second hand car. Sure there are people who want this tech for the novelty, and that's fine I guess. But all they get is one that has a logo with a chomped apple on it, that's hardly new in the marketplace for these devices anyway.

My moral in this is look in a smart way rather than the "fashion victim" way for would-be hipsters, bank executives with too much money to burn and politicians trying to be hip. Get an actual timepiece that suits your suit/dress.

Meh, I already have the Sony Smartwatch 2 and frankly I suspect it's better than what Apple will make, for one it's water proof (I doubt Apple's will be), not to mention runs on any Android device (unlike Samsung's).

AdmiralCheez:

Pretty much this. Even with something as simple as walking, your arms are moving back and forth. How are they going to make sure that only the gestures you want are recognized, and not every single movement?
I can't see this as doing much for anyone. Besides, I (along with a lot of other people) don't wear a watch because I have a clock on my phone. Why is the new trendy thing in technology going back to something that we have supposedly rendered unnecessary?

Bazaalmon:

AdmiralCheez:

Pretty much this. Even with something as simple as walking, your arms are moving back and forth. How are they going to make sure that only the gestures you want are recognized, and not every single movement?
I can't see this as doing much for anyone. Besides, I (along with a lot of other people) don't wear a watch because I have a clock on my phone. Why is the new trendy thing in technology going back to something that we have supposedly rendered unnecessary?

Because now that we have tricorders and comlinks, we need to have a pipboy too. I'm personally waiting for these things to be able to track everything I'm carrying and in which pocket/bag they're in.

I think I'll just grab some popcorn and wait for the legal action between Samsung and Apple to renew, over smartwatch features this time around.

Ah, good, more apple patents on vague descriptions that allows them to sue people for "round corners". just what this industry needs.

RicoADF:
Meh, I already have the Sony Smartwatch 2 and frankly I suspect it's better than what Apple will make, for one it's water proof (I doubt Apple's will be), not to mention runs on any Android device (unlike Samsung's).

This is whats baffling me at the moment, Sony not only have Smart Watches but "Smart bands" that are unobtrusive notifiers and sensor gadgets for fitness apps etc. I'm pretty sure they can be controlled by gestures to ignore calls and other things too.

Does it do anything special for lewd gestures? This is what people are going to be trying, you know.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here