Marvel's Russell Dauterman Shows Off Thor Odinson's New Look

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Marvel's Russell Dauterman Shows Off Thor Odinson's New Look

Thor, Prince of Asgard, has ditched his legendary winged helmet, cape, and armor for slacks, and a cloak. His left arm has also been replaced by a mechanical one.

Now that the God of Thunder has been deemed unworthy to wield his mythical hammer Mjolnir, Thor Odinson has undergone somewhat of a makeover. Today, Russell Dauterman (the upcoming artist for Marvel's monthly Thor title) posted some character sketches of Odinson's radical new look, as well as new art for the new female Thor.

"Did these as I was starting work on the book," Dauterman wrote on his Tumblr. "The costumes were designed before I came on board (by the great Esad Ribic, I believe), but here's my take on them."

Last week in an interview with Comic Book Resources, Thor writer Jason Aaron had high praise for Dauterman, who will replace notable artist Esad Ribic on the title. "I like the fact that Russell's work feels a little more sci-fi and maybe a little more Kirby," he said. "I think this is a brighter, poppier, more Kirby book, which makes sense in that it's a brand-new version of Thor; a Thor who has just kind of come into this world and is seeing it through different eyes. I really like that part of it. I'm excited to see what Russell does on it."

He also assured that the Asgardian prince, who is getting his own title come October, would still have a valuable role to play in the Marvel universe.

What do you think of Thor Odinson's new look? Plan on reading his solo title in October? Let us know in the comments!

Source: Comic Book Resources via Tumblr

This is going to make me so confused... so Thor isn't Thor any more and there's a new Thor called Thor but Thor is still called Thor even though he's not Thor? Two Thors? Or more Thors? Boy that makes my head Thor- er sore... I mean it's insulting to call her Thorina but does she have to be called Thor at all? I mean Beta Ray Bill is Beta Ray Bill and he's worthy to wield Mjolnir (mewmew) and has when Thor's been out of commission, but the haven't called him Thor. There are plenty of cool Norse names you could name the new God(dess?) of Thunder- Skadi comes to mind, as does Sigyn- actually Sigyn would make an awesome new "Thor" If I turn out to be right you heard it here first.

Captcha: usual suspects (or you could call her Keyser Soze)

Thor Odinson and Thor, God of Thunder are not necessarily one and the same in the Marvel comics universe. This is literally the full extent of the complication this change implies.

If this somehow actually confuses you, and you don't just have the vapours over a change to the status quo that you don't like, then I'm not sure how you've managed to deal with with the last 60-odd years of comics (dis)continuity.

-m

Maybe he'll just go by "Mr. Odinson". And every time there's a thunderstorm, he'll look up and sigh wistfully.

"Did I ever tell you I used to -"
"Yeah, Odinson, you mentioned it once or twice. Those TPS reports done yet?"

Kuredan:
This is going to make me so confused.

I don't think it's confusing, personally--it's just stupid. Thor is the character's name, not his title. This is like if Marvel announced that the Falcon was becoming Steve Rogers instead of Captain America. There's absolutely no chance that this is going to stick, of course; the smart money says that Dude Thor will get the hammer back just in time for his third movie.

Those are some nice designs, I like the look of both, but I don't know how I like the girls face being covered like it is. I know Thor had a similar look going back into the 80's, but it's just not a good look, then or now.

So, basically, "Odinson" looks like the old character "Thunderstrike." Also, "Thor" the woman and "Thor Odinson" aren't going to get confused...nope...not at all...

ThatDarnCoyote:
Maybe he'll just go by "Mr. Odinson". And every time there's a thunderstorm, he'll look up and sigh wistfully.

"Did I ever tell you I used to -"
"Yeah, Odinson, you mentioned it once or twice. Those TPS reports done yet?"

He'll take to twirling one of those squeaky hammers and then crying himself to sleep.

OT

Both designs look snazzy enough to me, but considering I don't read the comics that doesn't really matter. Was Thor Dudeson not found worthy of wearing shirts as well or is this design just the typical shirtless look of the angsty comic character?

Dire Trout:

Kuredan:
This is going to make me so confused.

I don't think it's confusing, personally--it's just stupid. Thor is the character's name, not his title. This is like if Marvel announced that the Falcon was becoming Steve Rogers instead of Captain America. There's absolutely no chance that this is going to stick, of course; the smart money says that Dude Thor will get the hammer back just in time for his third movie.

Except it's not like that, because "Thor" is a channeled persona in marvel comics, and there have been no less than four previous human beings that have become Thor in the past- they were all just white dudes so no one noticed or cared.

-m

I am deeply offended by all of this. I cannot believe how insensitive Marvel is. I mean, consider the following:

a) The blatant cultural appropriation of a major Nordic deity by American consumerism. Followed by said deity's emasculation by stripping him of his ancestral name and title.

b) Equally horrifing is the equally blatant objectification of the male form. There is no reason to portray Thor's naked upper body. His perfect ABS may act as a trigger for many vulnerable teenagers, already unhappy with their bodies.

All of this is quite shocking, really...

Matt_LRR:
Thor Odinson and Thor, God of Thunder are not necessarily one and the same in the Marvel comics universe. This is literally the full extent of the complication this change implies.

If this somehow actually confuses you, and you don't just have the vapours over a change to the status quo that you don't like, then I'm not sure how you've managed to deal with with the last 60-odd years of comics (dis)continuity.

-m

I'm fine with a female Thor, so please don't project misogyny on me, but I didn't know Thor "Odinson" would still be in the comics until I saw the article and attached imagery. I guess I was surprised they left his name Thor at all if that was just his title and that they would keep him in the new series. It begs the question: "Who is Thor without his title?" and perhaps the comic will explore that as well origin of the new Thor, who I still maintain might be Sigyn. From what I looked up she kinda looks like new Thor and it would be interesting to have Loki's wife as the new Thor.

On an unrelated note, I wonder how Thor lost his arm. Was it Jörmungandr? Robothor has a nice ring to it in any case.

Kuredan:
This is going to make me so confused... so Thor isn't Thor any more and there's a new Thor called Thor but Thor is still called Thor even though he's not Thor? Two Thors? Or more Thors? Boy that makes my head Thor- er sore... I mean it's insulting to call her Thorina but does she have to be called Thor at all? I mean Beta Ray Bill is Beta Ray Bill and he's worthy to wield Mjolnir (mewmew) and has when Thor's been out of commission, but the haven't called him Thor. There are plenty of cool Norse names you could name the new God(dess?) of Thunder- Skadi comes to mind, as does Sigyn- actually Sigyn would make an awesome new "Thor" If I turn out to be right you heard it here first.

Captcha: usual suspects (or you could call her Keyser Soze)

Before he was Thunderstike, Eric Masterson was called Thor. Both as someone fused with him and then someone who took over for him.

More to the point:

Matt_LRR:

Aaand:

Matt_LRR:

Except it's not like that, because "Thor" is a channeled persona in marvel comics, and there have been no less than four previous human beings that have become Thor in the past- they were all just white dudes so no one noticed or cared.

-m

Dire Trout:

I don't think it's confusing, personally--it's just stupid. Thor is the character's name, not his title.

Not according to Marvel.

Even when they make a relatively bad ass female design, they can't resist the urge to have her stand around with her hips swayed awkwardly.

So Thor's new design is basically 90s Aquaman with a slightly different prosthetic? Ok then.

I still say it's kind of sad to know this whole stunt is more a temporary change for attention than a genuine stab at more inclusion.

I love how Thor suddenly is "Odinson".
Yes, yes, I'm sure he's called that in the comics or something.

I'm getting Aquaman vibes from that prosthetic arm. Make of that what you will.

Matt_LRR:

-m

You're assuming, of course, that some of us have even bothered to. You gotta admit this stuff is hard to wrap one's head around if you're a newcomer:

"Okay, there's this superhero called Thor...well actually there's been multiple guys given the 'Thor' persona...well actually the latest guy is a girl (who's still called 'Thor')...well actually the last Thor is still around and named Thor, even though he's not 'Thor' anymore..."

There's a reason why MovieBob tends to preface this stuff with "COMICS...ARE...WEEEEIIIIRRRD!" I'm also going to assume it's the reason why most of these retcons have never made it into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They have to keep it accessible enough for John and Jane Q. Public to grasp what's going on.

Let's face it, if this stuff is hard to follow for a guy who likes Star Trek, then it's one hell of a rabbit hole. Sometimes I think comics take a perverse pleasure in making things convoluted.

Why, why, why do female heroes always have to be smaller than the men? She-Hulk springs to mind and it really pisses me off -- specifically in her case, because she's not even larger than most male heroes and she's a fucking hulk. We're talking about magic, fantasy, impossible science and a world where literally anything can happen, but somehow, some way, the women are always smaller than the men.

But her outfit looks ok. Bootplate is meh, but whatcanyado.

All Thor needs now is a big ass two handed sword, some plate armor, one less eye and a hair cut and he'll be a dead ringer for Ol' Guts here:

...OK, anyone else actually kind of want to see that happen now, or is it just me?

What, exactly, did Thor do to lose Mjolnir? I mean, fine, a chick gets to wield it now, but what happened? Also, why the robotic arm?

The mantle of 'Thor' can be transferred into another bulky white guy else while he's missing, and it's fine. Thor can have his mantle transferred to an Alien Robot Horse, have his dad want the two Thors to fight to the death, and no problem. Thor can be dual inhabited in an *Inch High Frog* (and STILL IS by the way) and no one causes a fuss about there being two Thors.

But a Thor that's Female?

OMG THATS JUST TOO CONFUSING!

Let's assume Avengers call a meeting, and invite Thor. Following discussions will be full of "Thor, chick or guy" when talking with them. If Marvel stays adamant of them having EXACT SAME name, there won't be even in-universe nickname to specify whom.

And as posted on /co/, they can't drop this without PR disaster.

Yeah, it's not like the Avengers have ever had to deal with this before... what... what's that... something about a guy and a girl both called Hawkeye?

What's up with all these Fake Geek Guys commenting here with their obvious lack of comic book knowledge. Pretty obvious they're only doing it for the attention.

For those wondering how two Thors will work, my assumption is that the previous Thor will just go by Odinson or maybe come up with a new mantle. This article just calls him Thor for simplicity's sake, as far as I can tell, and the change hasn't actually happened yet.

But yeah, there wasn't this much backlash over Throg or Beta Ray Bill. Comics like to shake things up sometimes, deal with it. This probably won't last forever but I can guarantee you that new!Thor will stick around in some way, shape or form after this is over. This is a good thing. At the very least we can get some interesting stories out of it.

Edit to elaborate further: think back to the first half of the Thor movie. He didn't have Mjolnir, but he was still Thor. If someone else had picked up Mjolnir they would have had the POWER of Thor, therefore technically becoming Thor, God of Thunder (which is kind of a title). Remember, the enchantment is basically "if you're worthy of the power of Thor, you get the power of Thor." If there could only be ONE Thor the enchantment would probably be something like "When my son is worthy of this hammer he'll gets his powers back, okay? Cool."

Hope that helps.

*blinks confused* ....why does Thor have a cyborg arm? Is this gonna be like with that hook and Aqua Man?

"Thor will have a robotic arm..." Thor is the new Winter Soldier?

First, why is Thor half naked? If people can be offended by extra cleavage, mid-riffs, leotards and daisy dukes built into a super-heroine uniform, I reserve the right to be offended by Thor lacking a shirt or top of any kind

Second, since all of these Thorrific changes have been made, why not just go ahead and make Thor Odinson king of Asgard already? He turned down the throne because he was an Avenger. Since that is no longer the case, make him the king already! This reminds me of when Steve Rogers came back while there was another Capt. America.

Wait wait wait! This lady Thor concept is nothing new! I'm willing to bet she was only made for copyright issues. Remember, decades ago, when the comic creators started creating female counterparts to all of their male heroes out of the fear of others doing the same to cash in on the names? What if she was only created as a safe-guard for the popularity of Thor in the movies?

Fairly Chaotic:

First, why is Thor half naked? If people can be offended by extra cleavage, mid-riffs, leotards and daisy dukes built into a super-heroine uniform, I reserve the right to be offended by Thor lacking a shirt or top of any kind

Second, since all of these Thorrific changes have been made, why not just go ahead and make Thor Odinson king of Asgard already? He turned down the throne because he was an Avenger. Since that is no longer the case, make him the king already! This reminds me of when Steve Rogers came back while there was another Capt. America.

Wait wait wait! This lady Thor concept is nothing new! I'm willing to bet she was only made for copyright issues. Remember, decades ago, when the comic creators started creating female counterparts to all of their male heroes out of the fear of others doing the same to cash in on the names? What if she was only created as a safe-guard for the popularity of Thor in the movies?

To argue the "Thor is half-naked" thing; Thor being half-naked isn't about female titillation (in the comics, at least. The same can DEFINITELY not be said for Chris Hemsworth in the movies) like what the cleavage/mid-riffs/leotards/daisy dukes thing is for men. Buff manly men punching dudes is more of a male power fantasy. This, basically: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/ (sorry if you've seen it before. Also, I don't know how to add images in a forum post. Fear me, I am nublet).

My guess is that Thor Odinson not being made king of Asgard may have something to do with him no longer being worthy of Mjolnir. I dunno what's going to happen, but I'd guess he's going to be ostracized or something. No idea. We'll see.

The problem with the "Lady Thor" thing is that this isn't She-Thor or Thor-Woman, it's just Thor. Who happens to be a woman now. *shrug*

I don't want to start any internet fights, this is just how I'm seeing things right now.

ThatHybridGuy:

To argue the "Thor is half-naked" thing; Thor being half-naked isn't about female titillation (in the comics, at least. The same can DEFINITELY not be said for Chris Hemsworth in the movies) like what the cleavage/mid-riffs/leotards/daisy dukes thing is for men. Buff manly men punching dudes is more of a male power fantasy. This, basically: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/

Wait, hold on... I learned on tumblr that only the offended party can say what is offensive? Why do YOU get decide its ok to make fun of another group's insecurities? Why do you presume male humans collectively have fantasies about hurting the weak with their fists? I feel unappreciated and misunderstood. I feel deeply hurt. This thread has been emotionally draining. Why aren't there trigger warnings?

Clura:

ThatHybridGuy:

To argue the "Thor is half-naked" thing; Thor being half-naked isn't about female titillation (in the comics, at least. The same can DEFINITELY not be said for Chris Hemsworth in the movies) like what the cleavage/mid-riffs/leotards/daisy dukes thing is for men. Buff manly men punching dudes is more of a male power fantasy. This, basically: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/

Wait, hold on... I learned on tumblr that only the offended party can say what is offensive? Why do YOU get decide its ok to make fun of another group's insecurities? Why do you presume male humans collectively have fantasies about hurting the weak with their fists? I feel unappreciated and misunderstood. I feel deeply hurt. This thread has been emotionally draining. Why aren't there trigger warnings?

Eh, I don't subscribe to the "Every guy wants to be Thor/Superman/Batman" thing myself, but there's a reason those characters have stayed so popular for so long. Superman especially is definitely a product of his era (comics were, in fact, for kids. There's a reason kids want/ed to be Superman, and it isn't for his morals, those were just the intended side-effect), but he stuck around because he was in fact a strong character in and of himself. Same with characters like Catwoman, Wonder Woman etc., and it's also why the most blatant attempts at titillation have never worked out (Sinnamon, anyone?). I'm just saying there's a trend there.

Strong people punching other people is a popular genre. Nothing wrong with it. I enjoy it myself. Acting like characters like Thor are buff so women can find them sexy is ignoring a large chunk of the history of comics when women weren't even considered as a potential audience. It may be an aspect (as with the aforementioned Hemsworth), but it's like saying that Power Girl's boob window is for ventilation purposes.

Also I never mentioned anything about Tumblr, "triggering" or any of that SJW junk. I don't really know where you got that from.

ThatHybridGuy:
-snips-

Get outta here with your reasonable debate. That's how the fightin' gets started. j/k

Eh, my first was only a jab at those that whine whenever a fictitious woman shows skin.

I believe the "Male Power Fantasy" argument is outdated. There are too many people who enjoy too many different things. For every women that likes effeminate fantasy men (like in the comic you linked) and yaoi I can point out women who enjoy things like the Hobbs-Toretto fight in Fast and Furious 6 and other things typically labeled as "MPF". There are also women who enjoy both. So MPF isn't exclusive to men anymore and not all men buy into it. I know this is off-topic but I enjoy a light, friendly debate when I can get one.

As for lady Thor (I'm only prefixing with lady for differentiation), I'm not claiming to be right and all knowing with my copyright statement but she doesn't need to be called She-Thor or any other similar moniker. There just needs to be a woman called Thor and that'll be enough for a copyright defense. I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

So whats the new Thor's name? Cause i don't believe they've made mention of what her name will be.

As far as I know THOR isn't a title for wielder of Mjolnir lol

JayBlanc:
What's up with all these Fake Geek Guys commenting here with their obvious lack of comic book knowledge. Pretty obvious they're only doing it for the attention.

Right? They probably don't even read comics. They should get back in the garage and make me a motorcycle... or something.

-m

Kind of like it. I hope she gets something of her own when the hammer eventually returns to the true thor and isn't just discarded or killed off.

gamegod25:
*blinks confused* ....why does Thor have a cyborg arm? Is this gonna be like with that hook and Aqua Man?

Odinson definitely now reminds me of Golden Mullet Aqua Man now.

Fairly Chaotic:

If it hasn't been done yet part of me now expects Cable will be future Thor. Like how Ultimate Cable was supposedly Wolverine.

I agree with you on everything else.

So without Mjolnir does it mean Thor Odinson will be severely depowered? Will he not now be able to defeat other characters he could previously? I really hope he doesn't become a punching bag. Thor has always been my favorite character and I feel he has often been disrespected. On the other hand maybe by not having Mjolnir to rely on he will become a more skilled fighter. I for one hope so.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here