Legend of Korra Moving to Digital for Last Five Episodes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Legend of Korra Moving to Digital for Last Five Episodes

The Legend of Korra isn't over, but Nickelodeon has decided to take the show off the air.

After a single episode this Friday at 8/7c, "The Terror Within", The Legend of Korra will no longer air on Nickelodeon for an unknown period of time. Details are limited now, but Bryan Konietzko, co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, shared the image to the right on his personal tumblr. Fellow co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino stated something similar on his Facebook page. "There is 1 new episode this Friday at 8, then the rest of the season will be available from various sites online," DiMartino says, "We'll let you know when we have more details."

This season has been a mess on the distribution side of things. While fans expected the trailer for Book Three and information regarding the premiere at San Diego Comic Con this week, an accidental leak of a number of episodes led to Nick releasing the trailer early. The season premiered at the end of last month and Nick has not done the series many favors.

The three part premiere was announced just a week before it aired. Without proper advertising or time to build word of mouth, the season premiere only had 1.5 million viewers. Disappointing numbers for a show that pulled in over four million viewers in previous seasons. In the weeks that followed, Nickelodeon aired two episodes a night, quickly burning through the thirteen episode season. With no streaming options available (something Nick advertised?), most viewers had no way to catch up on missed episodes due to the poor broadcasting and advertising plans.

As Konietzko states, we should expect more details this week at SDCC, which we are covering from San Diego. It looks like it was destiny for Korra fans to look to Comic-Con for big news, only now we might be somewhat less optimistic.

The Legend of Korra: Book Three will air what might be its last episode on Nickelodeon this Friday at 8/7c. If you want to read up on what you've missed this past season, check out my reviews/recaps here, here, and here.

A Friday night genre series with a loyal fan following built up from previous works by the creators that is taken off the air after the network fails to advertise it properly or broadcast episodes in a logical manner. Hmm, this sounds familiar...

A show premieres almost suddenly on the Friday night death slot, after a sub-par season... and it doesn't do well...
WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

But its good that its showing up online again, I don't have cable tv.

About as effective as Fox's scheduling. Lots of shows died not for poor ratings... sometimes. But the fact nobody knew what time it was on. No, let's focus on Sponge Bob some more, some show about a boy and a snake, and two... bird things delivering bread... THOSE ARE THE REAL SHOWS ON NICK!

Yeah Nick screws over shows like this all the time. If a show is not named sponge-bob or is not a shitty comedy, then it ends up dead. Avatar was one of the few exceptions to this rule.
CN has also done this too. Anyone remember what happened to Symbiotic Titan?

dragongit:
About as effective as Fox's scheduling. Lots of shows died not for poor ratings... sometimes. But the fact nobody knew what time it was on. No, let's focus on Sponge Bob some more, some show about a boy and a snake, and two... bird things delivering bread... THOSE ARE THE REAL SHOWS ON NICK!

That's the problem with Nickelodeon. Korra seems to be their only show that's marketed toward older audiences like teens. The rest of their shows are marketed to younger children like 6-10 year olds.

I think they might be having an identity crisis.

Captcha: What the ****? The captcha is asking for my email address.

epicdwarf:
Yeah Nick screws over shows like this all the time. If a show is not named sponge-bob or is not a shitty comedy, then it ends up dead. Avatar was one of the few exceptions to this rule.

That was more due to no one wanting to make toys based off of it.

OT: They treated Invader Zim the same way. Least there's a script for the series finale for Zim.

Well needless to say I'm pissed, so much for any chance of book four coming out at all. I swear Nick has done everything they can to get rid of this show short of killing the whole damn cast on it, you couldn't even catch up with the series with on-demand or anything like it either if you missed an episode. Guess it's embarrassing to have something good on their network with all the crap they have on there these days.

OT: So what sites might it show up on? Cause is if's some pay site I'm just waiting for the dvd to appear then.

RaikuFA:

epicdwarf:

OT: They treated Invader Zim the same way. Least there's a script for the series finale for Zim.

I dunno why but I could totally see Japan selling Avatar Figurines or something like adult collector toys.

Veldie:

RaikuFA:

epicdwarf:

I dunno why but I could totally see Japan selling Avatar Figurines or something like adult collector toys.

Actually Japan isn't keen when it comes to Avatar. I'm sure the parallels between the Fire Nation and Imperialistic Japan have absolutely nothing to do with it.

On topic, this makes me very sad. I had gotten so spoiled on two episodes a week and now they are taking it away.

Countdown to SDCC panel commencing.

At least it's not being shoved into a 4AM thing like Symbiotic Titan.

Though honestly I checked out of Korra at the start of season 2. That it hit hard times seems fitting to me after whatever the hell was going on then.

Well needless to say I'm pissed, so much for any chance of book four coming out at all.

Last I heard, Book quatro was in the renewal contract.

*gasp* Oh no! Please don't let this be another animated series that's cancelled without an ending. Didn't you learn anything from Samurai Jack or the new Thundercats? It seems like the stuff that features a kind of continuity isn't wanted anymore.

I said this when Book 1 came out...
KORRA NEEDS TO BE ON 'THE HUB'!

Because, the days of Nick hosting cartoons that aren't for the those under 5 or higher than 80s during the 80s...
Just don't exist anymore.

Hell, even Cartoon Network has more diverse programing than Nick does.
>_>

HOPEFULLY this means Book 4, which was suppose to be in production anyways, will be moved to another network that actually CARES about their shows.

And thus creative vision and potential is squashed underneath the boot of Captain Business Suit. I'd hate to see this series go the way of Young Justice or the Thundercats reboot, potentially great/good shows undermined by the lack of closure.

Supposedly Season 4 is still already greenlit, but the fact that the season is 13 episodes long as opposed to say 20 doesn't paint the prettiest picture.

But.. The third season is really really good! I've yet to dislike any of the episodes.. Even Korra herself is more likeable now.

Nick is weird.

I guess I can't fully blame them per say due to their episodes getting leak (they must of gotten butthurt alot) and what nots but still this isn't the first time when a cartoon get screwed by their network (poor Young Justice).

Man, I hope they still get to finish what they started. I'm too invested in this show to be left hanging by funding problems.

Supdupadog:
At least it's not being shoved into a 4AM thing like Symbiotic Titan.

Though honestly I checked out of Korra at the start of season 2. That it hit hard times seems fitting to me after whatever the hell was going on then.

Well needless to say I'm pissed, so much for any chance of book four coming out at all.

Last I heard, Book quatro was in the renewal contract.

I really hope so, still uneasy that they might try and weasel their way out of making it. It's a damn shame, season three so far has been great, way better than season two was.

Can't say that I am sad to see this show dying as I think that it has just been one massive fuck up (especially the way they have treated some of the characters from the last airbender) but I do feel for the many people who like the show. It always sucks when a show gets screwed over by their network and for what its worth fans of LoK, while I don't share your love of the show, you do have my sympathy for what it is worth.

This is why cable is dying. Networks treat praised shows like garbage, putting them in the Friday night death slot, and relying on the archaic Neilsen ratings for all of their shows while ignoring the fact that people lap up them legally online whenever possible. I don't have cable at my tv, so I watched Book 1 and 2 from the Nick site and Book 3 from the upstairs DVR. It didn't matter either way I watched the show; the ads would be muted/ignored/insulted with foul language anyway, but the advertisers "got they're message out".

Nick has been especially on edge about this one. Female lead? "Might not work with the young boys." Older cast? "Might not work younger audience in general?" Ratings down from a slightly underwhelming second season and first six episodes leaked online in Spanish from the Latin American Nick site? "Just do 2 every week until it's over, so we can get back to being called the 24 hour Spongebob channel."

I really hope book 4 really is in the works and Nick doesn't try to weasel there way out of it. The only good I think can come of this is finding out Nick decided Korra does have a big fanbase that just watches it online instead of 7pm on Friday and decided the best direction to take it without canceling it outright was solely online. Maybe that will set a precedent for other networks like Fox to not cancel that Friday night cult show just because the latest Neilsen sweep showed low numbers, when the show's real potential is being available online.

I'm sure CN would love to pick this up. Considering they like action shows, and they haven't had any good ones since Symbiotic Titian was cancelled.

I feel a little guilty though, I haven't been watching much TV lately, Korra included. The internet is just too tempting these days.

Well that sucks. This season is already far better than the previous two combined. And they've done fuck-all to advertise it. I only found out because I set my DVR to record new episodes long ago and saw there were a few new Korra episodes on it.

Eh, it's not all Nickelodeon's fault. Korra is also a terrible protagonist. Probably the worst example of a female character on the entire franchize to be a main hero. Even bossy britches Katara would have been better and that would have been hard to watch.

I hope this spells the death of Nickelodeon...after Book 4 comes out, anyway.

I really need to find how it is channels judge whether or not a show is 'popular', you air a show once or twice a week, tell no one and just expect the fans to know. I swear this happened to MLP:FiM last year on Nick here in the UK... and MLP:FiM has a HUGE fan base, siiiiiigh...

*Looks at avatar*

Oh Jack, you think i'd be used to it by now.

The Great JT:

Are you mad? Given just how popular their tween music comedies are, it's sad that Hartman's about the only animator who gets any air time on Nick these days.

PunkRex:

The Great JT:

Are you mad? Given just how popular their tween music comedies are, it's sad that Hartman's about the only animator who gets any air time on Nick these days.

Yes and it sickens me to my core that a network that used to thrive on its cartoons just as equally as its live-action stuff has thrown all the good stuff out and kept only the crap.

If this kills the Avatar franchise I will not be happy. Im enjoying Book 3 right now, and Avatar is my favourite animated show as of yet. If Nick kills it because they screwed up, Imma be pissed.

Irridium:
Well that sucks. This season is already far better than the previous two combined. And they've done fuck-all to advertise it. I only found out because I set my DVR to record new episodes long ago and saw there were a few new Korra episodes on it.

Yep, the same thing happened to me. I just figured that the reason for this was because I don't watch anything else on Nick anymore (Lost interest is Spongebob years ago, and Rugrats is ancient at this point...) but apparently it is a simple matter of Nick doing stupid things.

From what I understand this is how it worked:

"Hey guys, Avatar was a huge hit, and we have rooms dedicated to fan mail for the show that just keeps demanding a 2nd series, can you do a mini series follow up?"

"Yeah, sure."

"So, that first season went great, what are we getting for season 2 later this year?"

"What do you mean season 2? What do you mean later this year? You asked us for a mini series!"

"....Ummm no we didn't. Season 2 premiere in 6 months BTW"

*Insert very poorly paced problematic season 2*

"Well, that got bad reviews, but the contract renewal said we HAVE to do these next two seasons, lets just throw them on two at a time on Friday night, and not tell anyone. Everyone will forget about the show, and we can take back the rooms of fan mail at corporate. Maybe we should try online only, because no one is watching it in the Friday night slot..."

Yeah I love this show but the issue is that I have literally never watched it on the the TV because IT'S NEVER ON!! I can barely catch a few old episodes of the first series that's on one of the three nick channels I get but besides that I've never watched a single episode of Korra on TV. I get three channels owned by nick and there's 24 hours in the day, you think they could drop a single episode of Spongebob or that show about the boy and the farting snake for a some Korra love.

What. The. HELL!

I certainly hope this is not happening, but if it is now would be prime time for CN to swoop in and land Avatar as the flagship for a new string of action cartoons.

On another note, hopefully this is sort of a back out strategy for Nick. Part of me hopes that they realize what they're doing is wrong(with poor advertising and scheduling) and instead of trying to fixing a house on bad foundation, their demolishing the house and building it somewhere new. In other words, trying to learn from their mistakes and make sure season 4 has a better success.

Keep in mind, the episodes being pulled are for the THIRD season, as far as we know season 4 is pretty much set to air on Nickelodeon given the fact that Season 4 pre-production is finished and Studio Mir is already animating it, and something tells me it is an unwise business move to just cancel season 4 after all the money put into it by now.

I have no idea how the tv business works so I don't know why Nickelodeon would pull the show before the finale or post the unaired shows on their own sites, but I think I've at least learned enough to know Friday is an apparent death slot (I'm guessing because people are out on Friday, which is why Cartoon Network airs all their new episodes on Thursday, when nothing happens). Maybe Nickelodeon is pulling out to reform a program block for Korra or at least put in a slot where it can garner more viewers or become profitable. Kinda like a bad forum post.

Like you put up a post on your opinion to a topic barely knowing anything about it and the reaction is less then positive by the community, so you back out, delete the post, research, and try again without sounding like a jerk to see more positive replies.

This does not make me feel optimistic about season 4.

Roofstone:
But.. The third season is really really good! I've yet to dislike any of the episodes.. Even Korra herself is more likeable now.

Nick is weird.

Just what i was thinking... I binged watched all the episodes last night and thought it was the strongest season yet. They finally seem to have found the balance with the humor and storyline that made TLA so great

dalek sec:
Well needless to say I'm pissed, so much for any chance of book four coming out at all. I swear Nick has done everything they can to get rid of this show short of killing the whole damn cast on it, you couldn't even catch up with the series with on-demand or anything like it either if you missed an episode. Guess it's embarrassing to have something good on their network with all the crap they have on there these days.

OT: So what sites might it show up on? Cause is if's some pay site I'm just waiting for the dvd to appear then.

Book four is already well into production, so we'll definitely be getting that at least(I hope). What I'm worried about right now is that this could very well mean the end of the Avatar franchise, as far as TV shows go at the very least.

This really does feel like a Firefly situation, it's as if someone at Nick or even Viacom just really wants the franchise dead.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here