The Sims 2 And All 18 of Its Expansions Are Free on Origin

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Sims 2 And All 18 of Its Expansions Are Free on Origin

the sims 2 screenshot

The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection is absolutely free on Origin right now, and contains 8 expansions and 10 "stuff packs".

It's been ten years since The Sims 2 first launched, and though EA is pulling the plug on official support for the title, it's sending it out with one last hurrah, giving away the "Ultimate Collection" version of the game, which contains all 18 expansion packs, absolutely free on Origin. Origin users simply need to click on the "redeem a product code" in their Origin client, and enter the code "I-LOVE-THE-SIMS" to receive their free game.

When support for the title ends, players will, of course, still be able to play it (and new players will still be able to purchase it), but EA will no longer release content or technical fixes for the game. It will, however, continue to offer for support to those who contact the company for help, but the game as it exists today will remain unchanged going forward (with the exception of user-created mods).

The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection includes the base Sims 2 game along with "every single The Sims 2 expansion pack and stuff pack." The long list of included content includes 8 expansion packs and 10 "stuff packs" - which simply include new items (such as furniture).

For those of you who booted up the game and are looking for away around its minuscule 800x600 resolution, the folks over at Sims VIP have put together a guide for unlocking higher resolutions.

You only have until July 31 at 10AM Pacific to redeem the code for your free game to your Origin account - after which The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection will return to its regular price.

The next installment of The Sims series, The Sims 4, will launch in September of this year.

Source: EA Games

Wait, EA is actually still selling those? And what 18 Expansions? It had 8, unless you count every single "stuff-pack", most of which arent worth their asking price anyway. But its quite hilarious because they actually pulled official support not too long ago. Yes, thats right. Sims 2 is no longer officially supported, but it sure as hell is still being sold.

In short..the fuck, EA?

A-D.:
Wait, EA is actually still selling those? And what 18 Expansions? It had 8, unless you count every single "stuff-pack", most of which arent worth their asking price anyway. But its quite hilarious because they actually pulled official support not too long ago. Yes, thats right. Sims 2 is no longer officially supported, but it sure as hell is still being sold.

In short..the fuck, EA?

Lots of games are no longer officially supported but are still sold. In fact, a vast majority of GoG's library is like that. I don't see what the problem is. If you want to buy a game that's no longer supported, you should be able to. No support simply means no more additional patches - you can't honestly expect developers to continue to support every single game they make forever.

I know people love to grab the torches and pitchforks every time EA is mentioned, but this time they are literally giving something away and the very first comment is still quick to condemn them.

EA does have a lot of shitty policies that need to change, but this is not one of them.

Really tempted actually... I'm not going to regret putting Origin in my laptop am I?

EDIT: Thanks for all the re-assuring quotes. I've taken the plunge and now my laptop is corrupted, is only producing the sounds of scraping metal and demonic chanting, has blue screened and is leaking a strange green ooze that is dissolving its way through into the planets core I've got Origin on my laptop. No issues, and I've was able to get the code to work just fine.

Steven Bogos:

A-D.:

In short..the fuck, EA?

Lots of games are no longer officially supported but are still sold. In fact, a vast majority of GoG's library is like that. I don't see what the problem is. If you want to buy a game that's no longer supported, you should be able to. No support simply means no more additional patches - you can't honestly expect developers to continue to support every single game they make forever.

I know people love to grab the torches and pitchforks every time EA is mentioned, but this time they are literally giving something away and the very first comment is still quick to condemn them.

EA does have a lot of shitty policies that need to change, but this is not one of them.

What does that have to do with anything? I actually own Sims 2, i actually bought all of its expansions just a month before they fully terminated support for it, bit late you might argue but i dont really go shopping in physical stores that often so there you go.

Your GoG argument also doesnt work because their versions are on the latest patch available plus they run on an OS they were never designed to support in most cases. You are quick to jump to the defence of a company even though i pointed out why i said what i did. This has nothing to do with EA-bashing or whatever, it could have been pre-EA BioWare, or Bethesda or whichever developer is popular right now.

I loved the 2nd iteration of Sims and this is pretty cool of them to do. I'm also one of the few who apparently have no issue with Origin, so yeah no big deal to me that its on there.

It's kinda funny how all this games get put there for free, Sims 2 is the best one imo, and I LOVE Dead Space 1, but still I can't even be bothered to THINK about downloading this thing.

Baron von Blitztank:
Really tempted actually... I'm not going to regret putting Origin in my laptop am I?

I know I'm not... Going to download it at all.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
I loved the 2nd iteration of Sims and this is pretty cool of them to do. I'm also one of the few who apparently have no issue with Origin, so yeah no big deal to me that its on there.

B.. b... but EA are evil!

Nah but seriously free shit to keep for as long as you like, awesome, might add it to my library.

Welp, off to play sims 2 I suppose!

Baron von Blitztank:

Nah, it is just not as good as Steam, other than that I don't really have any complaints.

The White Hunter:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

B.. b... but EA are evil!

Nah but seriously free shit to keep for as long as you like, awesome, might add it to my library.

When it all comes down to it, we're all just finding ways to waste time we otherwise would have wasted anyway. Might as well do it for free.

That actually sounds quite appealing. I don't have Origin, but I've half a mind to pick this up. Is Origin still as bad as installing chlamydia on your computer, which is what the internet tells me, or is it decent now?

Yeah I like the Sims and I'm a sucker for free deals, you wanna fight?

Steven Bogos:

Unfortunately EA kind of brings this on themselves by simultaneously having some of the shittiest business practices and worst PR in the industry.

I mean, we've just come off the tail end of an announcement of the latest Sims game not having certain features people expect from the Sims upon release (the whole "pools and toddlers" fiasco), coupled with the announcement that there's going to be a premium subscription thing tied to it. People just don't trust EA, and it's entirely EA's fault because they keep doing stuff people don't want to see.

Even this free stuff comes with the condition that you have to tacitly offer support for Origin, which people think of as anathema because it represents all the other failed Steam knock-offs like Uplay and Games for Windows Live.

Kingjackl:
I don't have Origin, but I've half a mind to pick this up. Is Origin still as bad as installing chlamydia on your computer, which is what the internet tells me, or is it decent now?

I've no idea what people's complaints ever were against it? It's just a piece of distribution software that seems to be fairly innocuous. My computer hasn't spontaneously combusted on impact as far as I am aware.

As for this, it's an unambiguously good decision for users. If people can put aside the entirely justifiable hate for EA for one moment then they would be able to see it.

Baron von Blitztank:

Put Origin on my desktop because of the On The House program EA added to it. Have Dead Space 1 & Battlefield 3 through that and not complaining at all. Also bought the PC version of The Saboteur when it was discounted and not fussed at all.
Btw, can run the singleplayer games without Origin being active. Just a heads up, since it does like to take up RAM space.

vonSanneck:

Baron von Blitztank:

Put Origin on my desktop because of the On The House program EA added to it. Have Dead Space 1 & Battlefield 3 through that and not complaining at all. Also bought the PC version of The Saboteur when it was discounted and not fussed at all.
Btw, can run the singleplayer games without Origin being active. Just a heads up, since it does like to take up RAM space.

Well all I've got to play PC games is my crappy laptop so that's my only option. What's this 'On The House' program you speak of?

Baron von Blitztank:

vonSanneck:

Baron von Blitztank:

Well all I've got to play PC games is my crappy laptop so that's my only option. What's this 'On The House' program you speak of?

EA for a random time period Gives Games Away For Free to your Origin account. They still use SECUROM, but that's just an outdated stupidity of the board's fault. Dead Space 1, Battlefield 3, Bejeweld 2, Plants vs. Zombies & Peggle have been offered so far on the program.

Kingjackl:
That actually sounds quite appealing. I don't have Origin, but I've half a mind to pick this up. Is Origin still as bad as installing chlamydia on your computer, which is what the internet tells me, or is it decent now?

Yeah I like the Sims and I'm a sucker for free deals, you wanna fight?

It's never really been that bad, just pay attention when installing for the tick box that you unselect "start Origin when my computer starts" and it won't run until you decide to run it. It doesn't cause any issues on my end and uses about the same amount of ram as steam does.

So why would you buy the new inferior sims game again?

Edited my post due to the game simply not working at this time, so much for the excitement.

EDIT: Looks like the registration key doesn't work, hopefully EA will give out a correct key soon but I somewhat doubt it, now excuse me while I go to my shame corner and sulk for a few hours.

DOUBLE EDIT: Seems to be working on my sisters laptop, no registration key was asked apparently...

Battlefield, Sims, whatever else was there... No, I'm still not installing Origin EA. Or Ubiwhatever, or Rockstar Club, or whatever other bullshit 'service' there is. Even if you give me all the games for free. Go to hell.

WELP. We can all breathe a sigh of relief/pain; you get the game into your account, install it, attempt to play it and BAM, wrong product registration key.

Its so much like EA to give something away for free, and have it break.

Well, how about that. Its at the perfect price I'm willing to pay for an EA game.

Wow, opened up Origin to enter the code.... also got peggle for free.

"People are awfully mad about us screwing them over with the new sims game, sir."

"Give them some decade old freebies to distract them and they'll eat it up like the suckers they are. Even will get them to install our 3rd party software DRM so they'll have yet another taking up their resources!"

"Hey, Steam is giving us games for 5-15 ALL HAIL STEAM"

"Origin wants to give us games for free? Those bastards!"

Dear god... I remember when I used to (poorly) mod for the sims 2...

I feel it was truly the best of the series I mean-hands what are you doing?

No don't open that tab. Stop! No you may love the game but you don't need Origin in your life.
Don't you click that download link! DON'T ACCEPT! Download it to the recycle bin!

What have I done?!?!

TizzytheTormentor:
EDIT: Looks like the registration key doesn't work, hopefully EA will give out a correct key soon but I somewhat doubt it, now excuse me while I go to my shame corner and sulk for a few hours.

Vanquishuer:
WELP. We can all breathe a sigh of relief/pain; you get the game into your account, install it, attempt to play it and BAM, wrong product registration key.

Its so much like EA to give something away for free, and have it break.

Uh-oh. And there I was excited for a moment. Did EA respond to those problems in any way?

For those having trouble with the product registration code (apparently it's a widely known issue), try contacting EA Chat support. I've heard a few folks did that and were given a new code that actually worked.

Back on topic, I'm really excited to get this. I've been wanting to play for a while now. I was able to get my game installed and running without issue...Hopefully it keeps that way when I start modding the hell out of it. *crosses fingers*

Grabbed it yesterday just in case I'd ever want to play it. Bought the game those ten years ago, but one file didn't work on the disc so I couldn't complete the installation. In the store they said it worked perfectly, so I didn't get my money back.
Tried installing the fucker on at least three different computers since and I've always gotten the same error.

I havent played sims since the first one and was seriously considering going of mabye 3

however what with all of EA's BS I was unsure

but for free? why not?

I won't lie, I'm kind of bummed the Mac version isn't included in the deal.

Y'know, for all the crap EA have been pulling lately, I will give them this; they were better than most at supporting OS9/OSX back in the day.

That's nice, but a deal like this also needs to be permanent for those who own any amount of the game. I only own the base game - By the time I could get a computer that ran it decently enough, any attention I had towards TS2 was gone.

If I get the "Ultimate Edition" when I enter my CD key even after the deal expires, that's great. Otherwise it's kinda hard to hold out against Origin right now... I don't want to manage three different download distributors...

It doesn't even show up in Origin, let alone for free...

Tried it, it worked.

Cool. This actually has gone and returned them back to "neutral" after the cataclysmic treatment of Sims 4 as far as I'm concerned. Sims 2 is a damn fine game. I've commented that I'd only buy The Sims 2 expansion backs if they came in a massive mega-bundle, not expecting it would ever happen, and now they've gone and done it for free.

Well played, EA. Well played.

Nieroshai:
It doesn't even show up in Origin, let alone for free...

Read the OP. You have to redeem a product code.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here