Happy 7th Birthday to Zero Punctuation!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Happy 7th Birthday to Zero Punctuation!

Yahtzee's fast-talking reviews have been running for seven years. Yeah, I feel old too.

Seven years ago, on July 24, 2007, the very first Fullyramblomatic video review was uploaded to YouTube. In this proof of concept video, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw aimed his critical sights at the demo for The Darkness and splattered its brains all across a nearby wall. On August 15, the series debuted as Zero Punctuation on The Escapist, where it has lived ever since. For seven years, Yahtzee's hilarious, often biting, and occasionally crass commentary has struck fear into the hearts of game developers every Wednesday. Out of 347 episodes, the most watched episode remains Fallout 3. From everyone at The Escapist, we wish Zero Punctuation a very happy birthday!

Over the last seven years, Yahtzee has also published two novels, a jam-based apocalypse aptly titled Jam, and Mogworld, the story of an NPC skeleton looking for a way to permanently die in the MMORPG he inhabits. He has also released several of his own games. His latest freeware game is Poacher, a retro platformer starring a shotgun and a Yorkshireman. Yahtzee also writes a weekly column on the game industry, Extra Punctuation. With Jim Sterling, he dropped hot rhymes on the now-concluded Rhymedown Spectacular. Jim and Yahtzee launched a new series last week, Uncivil War, where the duo go head-to-head in video game battlegrounds, beginning with Watch Dogs.

Just to cement that feeling of timing whizzing by at an impossible speed, here's a few other things that are seven years old this month. The Simpsons Movie hit theaters seven years ago on July 27, 2007, and Matt Damon's last film as Jason Bourne, The Bourne Ultimatum, came out a week later on August 3. Mad Men premiered and revived the mid-afternoon cocktail on July 19, 2007, and cult hit Flight of the Conchords hit the airwaves on June 17. The same year saw the releases of Portal and Crysis, and the first entries of what would become huge franchises, including Assassin's Creed, BioShock, Mass Effect, The Witcher, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. What were you doing seven years ago?

I think I was in a heat wave seven years ago. Just like I am now. Blech, oh well...

Happy 7th birthday, Zero Punctuation!

Huh...7 years?

I'm got to be insufferable and say that I was watching Yahtzee before ZP made him cool, from his XDAS games, and his blog. I still think that some of his webcomics are decent, especially Angular Mike.

For example:
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/angularmike/amike35.gif

Yeah, I laughed.

Happy 7th birthday, I've been lurking for a good majority of it! Let's celebrate by having an Escapist Expo 2014 :D :D

I shall now sip my tea and mutter a congratulations (of sorts).

Also 7 years ago, there was Okami.

Seven years huh, I wonder if Yahtzee is considering hanging up his hat soon, although I did enjoy the recent EarthBound review so maybe there's still some life in him. I have to admit I still find the earlier reviews funnier.

7 years, where has all that time gone? lol. Was the Zero Punctuation vids that brought me to The Escapist. Nothing i like more than coming home from work and first thing I watch are ZP, Jim and Bobs vids. Those guys are The Escapist Holy Trinity - done let these guys leave otherwise there would be no reason to come here.

Capta:You're fired. (that sounds ominous).

TopazFusion:

MarlaDesat:
What were you doing seven years ago?

I'm waiting for someone to come along and say "I was posting on The Escapist 7 years ago!".
But you'd have to have a 2007 (or earlier) join date for that to be true, and you don't see many of those.

Well, probably not posting much at the time, but this seems like a good bet: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html

Back when "The Slashdot Effect" was a thing!

Seven years?! I've been visiting this site for seven fucking years?!

*oldness intensifies*

Jesus Christ XD

Congrats Yahtzee, dunno what would have happened if you weren't here to draw me in :3

Way to make me feel old, Escapist.

Congratz to Yahtzee!

So, when can I finally buy all of Zero Punctuation on DvD without the intros so that I can listen to Yathzee all day long while he rambles on in the background?

I made this picture for the occasion.

Byotiful.

TopazFusion:

MarlaDesat:
What were you doing seven years ago?

I'm waiting for someone to come along and say "I was posting on The Escapist 7 years ago!".
But you'd have to have a 2007 (or earlier) join date for that to be true, and you don't see many of those.

I was lurking back in 2007, does that count?

Awww yeah! I am so happy it's still going!!!!
Really helped me through an actual depression, and then some other really shitty periods!

Been a massive fan since Guitar Hero 3.
Probably still the best episode!!!

Yahtzee, you saved my life man.
Thank you so much!

And don't worry, I'll buy your third novel too ;)

Wow, it's been seven years since Zero Punctuation began? I don't remember what I was doing back then, only that Zero Punctuation was (most likely) the reson I came to the site to begin with. So happy 7th ZP! May you never run out of things to snark on!

Totaly rad ZP is my fav show here glad to see it turn seven now for 7 more years.

Wow, 7 years...where does the time go?

Happy anniversary, Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion!

Heh. I first learned about this site when someone linked me to his first BioShock review, way back in the olden days. I joined up a few weeks later, when I started reading the other articles here, back when there were those weekly issues.

The thing I always found amusing is how one of the most iconic things about Zero Punctuation might not have even existed if his first review didn't happen to involve mentioning a demon. Really makes you wonder what iconic character we might have ended-up with if he had reviewed nearly any-other game first instead.

I am an "early adopter" if you will. I first read about him in a german gaming mag called "Gee". Back in the day i couldn't understand a single line he said without pausing and translating and such.

This just made me feel so old, stop.
I wasn't watching Zero Punctuation in the beginning, but it did watch ever since the show case by G4TV on Xplay.
Eh, anyone remember that? I miss them.

Story:
This just made me feel so old, stop.
I wasn't watching Zero Punctuation in the beginning, but it did watch ever since the show case by G4TV on Xplay.
Eh, anyone remember that? I miss them.

I remember them back when they just TechTv, before G4 came in and was like "Hey, we think all you nerds and tech junkies will like Cars, Cops, and Cheaters"

WhiteTigerShiro:
The thing I always found amusing is how one of the most iconic things about Zero Punctuation might not have even existed if his first review didn't happen to involve mentioning a demon. Really makes you wonder what iconic character we might have ended-up with if he had reviewed nearly any-other game first instead.

Why do you think the word "demon" was so influential in his success? Because I started watching him with that first review and I don't feel that "demon" was the hook that kept me watching. It was his use of linguistics at a fast paced speed and a snarky sense of humor for me.

Wow, seven years of of coming here every Wednesday to watch Yahtzee's videos, even when he was on holiday and there wasn't anything new. I wasn't there at the beginning, truth be told. I started watching at Halo 3 but that's pretty close to the beginning. Still looking for a job I could do for seven years.

Is it weird that I kinda don't like that Fallout 3 was his most watched video? There were some way better episodes than that.

momijirabbit:

Byotiful.

Neat. :D
But what is that white thing with the arrow?
Also, cool avatar.

OT: 7 years ago? Hmm....Well, high school, and video games.
Don't think I found the Escapist yet, but I'm glad I eventually did. :) All thanks to Yahtzee.

Happy birthday ZP. May the inevitable encroachment of senescence not take you from us for many more years to come.
=w= b

ZodiacBraves:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Why do you think the word "demon" was so influential in his success? Because I started watching him with that first review and I don't feel that "demon" was the hook that kept me watching. It was his use of linguistics at a fast paced speed and a snarky sense of humor for me.

Because having to talk about the demon he had to summon required him to create a little demon character (that was later dubbed an "Imp", but whatever) that would become a consistent and iconic character in every ZP episode. I just can't picture ZP without the Imp making an appearance, so it's weird to think of what we'd have if the first game he reviewed if he started with something like Bioshock or a Half Life game that might not have required such a character.

Edit: Then again, for all I know, he may have had the Imp ready well ahead of time to be a character in his reviews.

inkheart_artist:
Is it weird that I kinda don't like that Fallout 3 was his most watched video? There were some way better episodes than that.

Yeah, Psychonauts and Painkiller are the two that came to my mind right away.

WhiteTigerShiro:

ZodiacBraves:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Because having to talk about the demon he had to summon required him to create a little demon character (that was later dubbed an "Imp", but whatever) that would become a consistent and iconic character in every ZP episode. I just can't picture ZP without the Imp making an appearance, so it's weird to think of what we'd have if the first game he reviewed if he started with something like Bioshock or a Half Life game that might not have required such a character.

Oohhhh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were indicating that without the demon ZP might not have existed. Excuse me for my poorly done reading of your post.

Imp Emissary:

momijirabbit:

Byotiful.

Neat. :D
But what is that white thing with the arrow?
Also, cool avatar.

OT: 7 years ago? Hmm....Well, high school, and video games.
Don't think I found the Escapist yet, but I'm glad I eventually did. :) All thanks to Yahtzee.

Happy birthday ZP. May the inevitable encroachment of senescence not take you from us for many more years to come.
=w= b

It was supposed to be a Pc on a piller, I put the arrow there and was going to write "Glorious Pc Race" on the top but Gmod is garbage and I ended up not doing it and just left the arrow there.

ZodiacBraves:

inkheart_artist:

Yeah, Psychonauts and Painkiller are the two that came to my mind right away.

Or the Smash Bros Brawl and it's mailbag showdown or Fifa 13 (to point out that good episodes are still coming out)

Wow, it's sometimes nice to get a reminder from those halcyon years. I miss the personalised intro and outro songs for each video, so much better than the noise I've had to live with since then. I've mastered the art of "Starting ZP Videos 15.5 seconds in" so I only have to listen to one brief, horrid note but occasionally get caught unaware by the ending and fail to pause it in time.

Still horrid theme aside, has to be one of the, if not the best web series that exists. I remember his "message in a bottle" video before coming to the Escapist and the rest is history. Wish him another happy 7 years of success and gaming happiness.

Happy birthday Zero Punctuation!

I would firstly like to thank Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw for creating these fantastic videos week by week and giving us entertainment and sometimes even creating (unknowingly) a cult from it (PCMR).

The second that I would like to thank is all of the staff of the Escapist for not cancelling this fantastic show. This has been the series that has brought me to this site and I have never left.

Now I leave you with two of my favorite quotes: "I AM A MACHINE THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN!" (Darksiders 1), "I GOT A GUN THAT SHOOTS SHURIKENS AND LIGHTNING" (Painkiller).

DarkhoIlow:
Now I leave you with two of my favorite quotes: "I AM A MACHINE THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN!"

"Monster truck."

Yahtzee's work is inspirational -- so inspirational that it resulted in this:

This is a frame from a larger work which unfortunately I can't show you. Creating it helped me appreciate at a much deeper level just how much work Yahtzee puts in to just his weekly reviews. Add to that his weekly column, his weekly videos with Jim Sterling, his weekly "Let's Drown Out" series on YouTube with his friend Gabriel, his two novels, the occasional game, and the two Mana Bar locations he co-owns and -runs, and I frankly have no idea how he does it all.

Congratulations, huge respect, and fondest wishes, Mr. Croshaw.

Seven years? Time just flies by, doesn't it? I honestly don't remember when I started watching. '08, '09, maybe? I lurked here on the Escapist a long while before registering, so no real way of telling.

Still, good goddamn, Yahtzee, you keep on going. We all need you here lambasting games for poor design, and because you can.

ewhac:
Mana Bar

Didn't at least one of those Mana Bar locations close a couple of years ago?

Fallout 3 is the most viewed? Not Smash Bros, Final Fantasy XIII, Monster Hunter Tri, Metal Gear Solid IV or Mailbag Showdown? I'm surprised.

Ok, if we assume all the episodes are five minutes long (which they aren't since many earlier ones are 3/4, but still), Zero Punctuation has provided us with 1735 minutes of entertainment, or 28 hours. Full disclosure, I'm way off here.

Hmm, in 2007 I spent most of my time at a friend's house playing split screen CoD 4 or Halo 3, or watching him play Oblivion while I said that my PC version is so much better. I also got my Xbox 360 for Christmas that year.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here