Microsoft Will Unify Windows, Still Have Multiple Versions

Microsoft Will Unify Windows, Still Have Multiple Versions

Windows 8-1 Start Menu 310x

The future of Windows is unified, but not in the way that you think...

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella made some waves during his company's Q4 earnings call (transcript here) earlier this week. "We will streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating system for screens of all sizes," said Nadella when discussing product alignment.

One "converged" OS is partly true, if ZDNet is to be believed (and on Windows, its Mary Jo Foley has a pretty stellar track record).

The convergence that has all the tech world aflutter is more about the underpinnings of Windows than the surface. There is not going to be a single version of Windows, a single box of software you buy for every device you hold dear in your life. There are still going to be multiple SKUs, tailored for specific tasks and devices.

So what did Nadella mean by a "single converged operating system?" The vision is for every version of Windows to run on the same code core, which is something Microsoft has been implementing over the last few years. The Xbox One has a stripped-down version of Windows 8 running, after all. With the same foundation, writing apps and services for all devices running Windows will be a cinch, relatively speaking.

Speaking of apps, the vision extends to the software marketplace as well. We've already touched on Universal Apps, and Nadella's comments tie directly into that concept. Buying an app once, and having the software trickle down to whichever devices you see fit, is the future of app commerce. This also extends to the developer environment, which hasn't quite gotten the universal treatment.

Whatever the plan may be, we will get a clearer picture once Windows 9 ships next year.

All I am hearing in that statement is "We are going to repeat the mistakes of Windows 8."

Hope Valve gets a move on with their SteamOS so we can move gaming away from Windows, finally. Then I will no longer need to have anything Microsoft in my house.

VALOCARAPTOR:
No No Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Either people just post NO to every piece of Microsoft news or they don't understand what this means.

This actually sounds like an improvement over Windows 8. And it is what Microsoft should have done years ago. Microsoft is still copying Apple, but this time they seem to be doing it right. Apple does something similar for their devices where every OS is tailored to its own device. Windows 8 was a fuckin' disaster for desktop and laptop users. What this basically means is that next Windows will behave like a traditional Windows on a desktop (hopefully) and differently on tablets and phones, but the core code remains the same across the board. If that is the case, it's not a bad thing. Of course, that depends on how good the OS is.

Sounds like Microsoft learned a few lessons from the Windows 8 debacle, but I have a feeling they haven't learnt all of them. Time will tell, I suppose.

Does this mean they're going to stop releasing home, professional and ultimate editions as separate versions also?

I wouldn't particularly mind as long as their are drastic UI differences between each SKU and the convergences are mostly for combatability reasons.

Captcha: "walk free"
I'd probably encourage MS to take this approach for the desktop version at least.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Does this mean they're going to stop releasing home, professional and ultimate editions as separate versions also?

They already have done with windows 8.

infohippie:
All I am hearing in that statement is "We are going to repeat the mistakes of Windows 8."

Hope Valve gets a move on with their SteamOS so we can move gaming away from Windows, finally. Then I will no longer need to have anything Microsoft in my house.

Nope what they are saying is same API but different GUI.

Adam Jensen:

VALOCARAPTOR:
No No Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Either people just post NO to every piece of Microsoft news or they don't understand what this means.

This is actually an improvement over Windows 8. And it is what Microsoft should have done years ago. Microsoft is still copying Apple, but this time they seem to be doing it right. Apple does something similar for their devices where every OS is tailored to its own device. Windows 8 was a fuckin' disaster for desktop and laptop users. What this basically means is that next Windows will behave like a traditional Windows on a desktop (hopefully) and differently on tablets and phones, but the core code remains the same across the board. If that is the case, it's not a bad thing. Well, depending on how good the core code and the OS is, of course.

For a while, every other Windows OS has been sub-par to mediocre, still followed in that Windows 7 is alright and Windows 8 is trash. The concern is probably that this pattern could be broken if Windows 9 utilizes a bad setup. What if unification is a hold-over from how they organized the X-Bone? You may be right and maybe this will turn out alright, but there's always the possibility of something going disastrously wrong.

Given that Microsoft seems dead-set on alienating PC users and forming everything around touchscreens, this does not fill me with anticipation.

For some reason I still think going by the Good-Bad-Good-Bad rule is probably a better indicator of the product's quality than anything Microsoft will say about it.

I guess the plan is to versions with different desktop environments like Linux OS's. I hopped aboard the Linux train with Windows 8 and their ham fisted online integration, but I wonder if the "good OS, bad OS" cycle will continue given that Microsoft continues to back peddle

Adam Jensen:
snip

The thing is, Microsoft has always been about control and it's never lead to good things. Besides, it's basically impossible for them to run the same code on mobile, low heat processors that run in phones and tablets without making some serious compatability issues with their software or impacting the price, speed, battery life, etc of their devices than if they just made a mobile OS and apps for mobile processors

From what I've read, this is a restatement of Ballmer's "Windows Everywhere". Windows on ARM will still not be able to execute existing x86 software. Universal apps can address compatibility for new software though. So, I guess it means the new CEO is continuing what the last started. I suppose we'll see how well he does soon enough.

The Rogue Wolf:
Given that Microsoft seems dead-set on alienating PC users and forming everything around touchscreens, this does not fill me with anticipation.

Yeahhh... Microsoft can talk all they want but the proof is in the software. Windows 8 is horrible or desktops, Microsoft know it's horrible. They don't care since they have a virtual monopoly. I refuse to use it flat out.

If Windows continues to be horrible in its new iterations people will continue using Windows 7 or even Windows XP. Once Microsoft finally tires to force power users and gamers into windows 8 with DX12 and starting to forcibly pull compatibility with earlier OSes it might be time to start seriously considering alternatives because i think most users will refuse to get on that horrible treadmill again.

Devin Connors:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella made some waves during his company's Q4 earnings call (transcript here) earlier this week. "We will streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating system for screens of all sizes," said Nadella when discussing product alignment.

This is what happenes when you let managers and marketers throw around tech jargon.

So what did Nadella mean by a "single converged operating system?" The vision is for every version of Windows to run on the same code core, which is something Microsoft has been implementing over the last few years.

Okay, considering that the hardware for all these systems is going to be different I'd like to see how they expect the same code core that runs on a tablet to run on a desktop or laptop.

The Xbox One has a stripped-down version of Windows 8 running, after all. With the same foundation, writing apps and services for all devices running Windows will be a cinch, relatively speaking.

Yeah and the XBone was a rousing success wasn't it MS, clearly no bad decisions there. Never mind that again, the Xbone is a game console, it only has to do one thing, there is no variation in hardware from one XBone to the next.

Speaking of apps, the vision extends to the software marketplace as well. We've already touched on Universal Apps, and Nadella's comments tie directly into that concept. Buying an app once, and having the software trickle down to whichever devices you see fit, is the future of app commerce. This also extends to the developer environment, which hasn't quite gotten the universal treatment.

Because Microsoft wants to make sure it can get a cutr of every peiece of software sold for their OS. And seriously talking Windows 9... who the fug is going to buy windows 9 at this point... espcially considering the steaming pile that is Windows 8. Never mind that no company is going to do another os switch out again after such a recent switch over.

Let's try and do 8 again! Fuck off MS. I don't want your pseudo tablet OS. I want a desktop OS for my desktop. If I wanted a tablet OS I'd use android. I don't even know why I'm legitimately angry about this, I can just keep using W7 until either a good windows version comes our or linux / steam OS becomes a viable gaming platform.
EDIT: Maybe this doesn't mean what I think it does and maybe this info is bollocks, either way I'm not getting my hopes up for the next windows.

Do any of you saying that Windows 8 is "a fucking disaster" and "trash" even use the damn thing on a desktop? I'm using it on both a laptop and desktop (plus a Surface I got in the fire-sale MS did a while back), and I'm just not seeing the reason for all the vitriol.

The only people that I could see having a problem with it is senior citizens, and since I know more than a few of them who got used to Windows 8, I'd say it's not that hard for them, either.

I mean, if all this noise is just a "let's pile on M$ a little more" thing, just admit it. Otherwise, RTFM when you have a question and climb the learning curve.

OT: This sounds like a great move in the right direction as long as they do it right. I'd love to see a unified back end, even with the multiple SKUs.

Did they dump the metro UI yet?

I don't think anyone's really going to know what this means until the actual reviews of Windows 9 start coming in.

If Microsoft has actually learned a thing or two from the disastrous performance of Windows 8, perhaps we'll see some improvements in the UI; hopefully those responsible have learned a little humility about assuming they know how their users want to use their computers better than the users themselves do. And if there's a separate product for tablets vs. phones vs. computers, whatever the code core, that seems more likely to happen.

Conversely, though, I don't know that this bodes well for backwards compatibility on a hardware or software level. It's been a weird few years, with some vendors dragging their feet on releasing drivers for things like mice, scanners, and game pads for 7, let alone 8. I don't much cotton to the idea of going through the rigmarole of installing a new OS only to find that half of my Steam library no longer runs, either. And while the unified app marketplace is great for Microsoft (and the tiny fraction of the market using Windows Phone), I'm still far from sure that it's a good thing for PC users.

Time will tell.

frizzlebyte:
Do any of you saying that Windows 8 is "a fucking disaster" and "trash" even use the damn thing on a desktop? I'm using it on both a laptop and desktop (plus a Surface I got in the fire-sale MS did a while back), and I'm just not seeing the reason for all the vitriol.

The only people that I could see having a problem with it is senior citizens, and since I know more than a few of them who got used to Windows 8, I'd say it's not that hard for them, either.

I mean, if all this noise is just a "let's pile on M$ a little more" thing, just admit it. Otherwise, RTFM when you have a question and climb the learning curve.

OT: This sounds like a great move in the right direction as long as they do it right. I'd love to see a unified back end, even with the multiple SKUs.

None of those people have actually used it for more than a week at most. I've been using it since about a month before retail availability on my desktop and netbook and have found it a pleasure to use. I find Windows 7 a bit dated in terms of UI these days.

My grandparents upgraded from an XP desktop to a touchscreen Win8 ultrabook and they love using it. My grandfather is borderline computer illiterate and has taken to Windows 8 very well. The start screen makes it very easy for him.

Personally I hated Windows 8. The charms popping up from the side, the minimizing to the corner, having to look to a 3rd party for the start button functionality among other ordinary use things that were annoying from the get go. I've used nearly every iteration of Windows and this was the first time where I felt where I wasn't just turning on the computer and getting into the tasks I had planned. It felt like every 5 seconds I was looking up (on another computer because where the heck did that window I minimized go to?!) how to do something simple. It didn't take long to look up, but it made the experience of a new computer a very rigid and less than enjoyable experience. It's because of this that I specifically got win7 on my new laptop. Installed it, it started up and I was set to go.

As for windows 9, I can only hope the desktop mode goes back to or gives the option to function more in line with previous version of windows for my own use while also giving those that fell in love with their current version the ability to experience it as they have grown accustomed.

Evonisia:
For some reason I still think going by the Good-Bad-Good-Bad rule is probably a better indicator of the product's quality than anything Microsoft will say about it.

They're sick of people not buying their products, so the new design plan is bad-bad-bad-bad. That way, you have no reason to hold out.

SpAc3man:
My grandparents upgraded from an XP desktop to a touchscreen Win8 ultrabook and they love using it. My grandfather is borderline computer illiterate and has taken to Windows 8 very well. The start screen makes it very easy for him.

The start screen is actually really nice in my opinion, since I can use it as a "mission control" of sorts. I have my weather app, news, email, and everything else I need right there as live tiles, up to date at all times. You'd think more people would get that you can use it that way, but all they seem to focus on is the negatives, like the fact that it doesn't have a start menu.

Like the start menu doesn't become a total useless clusterfrack when you have a lot of programs installed...

Hopefully they stick to just the core code and not much else. This sounds to me the exact opposite of what they should be doing, prioritizing programming cost-cutting over platform stability and optimization. This is exactly why W8 is such a pain on non-touch devices.

I'd be happy if they just scaled back the bloat a bit. I don't need fancy interfaces.

SpAc3man:

None of those people have actually used it for more than a week at most. I've been using it since about a month before retail availability on my desktop and netbook and have found it a pleasure to use. I find Windows 7 a bit dated in terms of UI these days.

Don't tell people what they have or haven't done, ask. I've been using Win8 since release last year and I hate it. 8.1 improved it alittle but I still plan on removing it for 7 or possibly steam OS. My greviences are:
- Tiles: The windows single colour tiles makes the computer look like a fisher price toy
- Ui in general: Settings are all over the place in 2-3 different locations, metro apps are annoying as they won't run in desktop (slightly better with 8.1 adding the x button) and in general the UI gets in the way. Yes I know where to go but it takes more swipes/clicks and drags to get where I want to go than in W7. I don't like the interface in how it feels or how it looks.
- Performance: While start up is faster the general performance seems to be worse than 7, I suspect it's due to the below issue more than anything.
- compatibility/software issues: Games and software that ran without issue on Win 7 either run poorly, crash or not at all in 8.

You might not have the software issues and like the UI, good for you, but that doesn't mean those of us that hate it aren't justified nor haven't given it a chance.

Edit: almost forgot the worst part, One Drive. I hate how they want to steal all your documents for 'storage' on US owned servers which aren't protected by my nation's privacy laws (which unlike in the US do actually protect our privacy)

Devin Connors:
Buying an app once, and having the software trickle down to whichever devices you see fit, is the future of app commerce.

you mean, like buying a program and installing it on any device i want? like it was done for last 20 years? its not a new concept if you use "app" instead of "program" you know. By the way, why do you do that anyway? they are called programs. app is a shothand for appluications and is a obsolete phrase from old mobile days. why is a phrase that does not even fit anymore getting more popular?

Scrumpmonkey:
Windows 8 is horrible or desktops, Microsoft know it's horrible.

Windows 8 GUI is horrible. under the hood its actually way better than windows 7. Now, if this article is correct, this means that they will use unified kernel for all platforms but make platform specific GUIs (user sessions even perhaps). this menas that we get to keep good kernel under the hood and get a personalized for the device GUI (which in theiry would mean it should look best based on device its run at, if they make it right).

Now its not certain that they will make it right, but in theory the idea is great.

Of course its worth mentioning that many programs have compatibility isues with 8 which makes thme run poorly or not at all. especially specialized work hardware which is a pain in the ass as you baiscally have to hack the driver to even make it run on 8.

BigTuk:

Okay, considering that the hardware for all these systems is going to be different I'd like to see how they expect the same code core that runs on a tablet to run on a desktop or laptop.

Do you know how many different hardware configurations are possible on a dektop? and yet it runs? because unified x86 architecture (lets ignore ARM for a while. noone cares about them anyway). then answer is drivers. and since tablets/phones are also basically x86 mobile architecture now and is actually running linux (MacOS is a heavy variation of linux, android is actually linux running virtualmachine), the same OS that can run on desktops already, this is not unthinkable. the answer of how is thus: drivers. make them hardware drivers.

BigTuk:

Because Microsoft wants to make sure it can get a cutr of every peiece of software sold for their OS. And seriously talking Windows 9... who the fug is going to buy windows 9 at this point... espcially considering the steaming pile that is Windows 8. Never mind that no company is going to do another os switch out again after such a recent switch over.

its marketing to call it windows 9. in practice, its actually just Vista version 4. windows 7 vas vista version 2, 8 was vista version 3, now its going to next one. they even use the NT codes accordingly. Vista was 6.0, 7 was 6.1 and 8 was 6.2

frizzlebyte:

I did at one point. went back to 7. the GUI is worth the performance hit.

Nurb:
Did they dump the metro UI yet?

look at the screenshot - its not integrated into taskbar - there is no escape.

SpAc3man:

Or perhaps not everyone uses touchscreens or like smae things as you do? ever think about that?

frizzlebyte:
You'd think more people would get that you can use it that way, but all they seem to focus on is the negatives, like the fact that it doesn't have a start menu.

Or perhaps people dont want that? first thing i do after a fresh installation is disable widgets. they are annoyance. and they are basically predecessor of your mission control.

When building a PC for Uni, for whatever reason I decided to use Windows 8. And for whatever reason, I like it just as much as Windows 7. Granted, until they came out with the 8.1 update, it was annoying to navigate to control panel and such, but they have rectified that. And then aside from the lack of a start menu, which u can mod in yourself, I don't see all that much different. Aside from the fact that it is faster on bootup and that it use less system power. I liked it so much that I upgraded my home rig from Windows 7 to it. Don't understand all the fuss at all.

RicoADF:
Don't tell people what they have or haven't done, ask. I've been using Win8 since release last year and I hate it. 8.1 improved it alittle but I still plan on removing it for 7 or possibly steam OS. My greviences are:
- Tiles: The windows single colour tiles makes the computer look like a fisher price toy
- Ui in general: Settings are all over the place in 2-3 different locations, metro apps are annoying as they won't run in desktop (slightly better with 8.1 adding the x button) and in general the UI gets in the way. Yes I know where to go but it takes more swipes/clicks and drags to get where I want to go than in W7. I don't like the interface in how it feels or how it looks.
- Performance: While start up is faster the general performance seems to be worse than 7, I suspect it's due to the below issue more than anything.
- compatibility/software issues: Games and software that ran without issue on Win 7 either run poorly, crash or not at all in 8.

You might not have the software issues and like the UI, good for you, but that doesn't mean those of us that hate it aren't justified nor haven't given it a chance.

Edit: almost forgot the worst part, One Drive. I hate how they want to steal all your documents for 'storage' on US owned servers which aren't protected by my nation's privacy laws (which unlike in the US do actually protect our privacy)

The colourful tiles argument is just repeating pointless complaints that were used with Windows XP, then Windows Vista, then Windows 7. The amount of times I have heard the "wah Fisher Price OS" complaint for every single Windows release since 2001 is mind numbing. They are doing the same thing they have always done and only a very small but very vocal few seem to give a shit.

I never Metro on a non-touch device. On a desktop you simply don't need to. All the settings you need are in the Control Panel. Metro apps give live tiles but apart from that you don't need to use them. You can if you like them but they are entirely optional.

Performance is the same. Claiming otherwise is just misinformation.

Every single new OS ever has caused the occasional older program some sort of compatibility strife. Windows 8 is actually much better than Windows Vista or 7 ever were. Most programs that have trouble running can be fixed by using compatibility mode. Seeing as I started using Windows 8 before release I was using Windows 7 drivers for all my hardware. Absolutely everything worked when run under compatibility mode.

Really? One drive is completely optional. Just like Dropbox or Google Drive.

Strazdas:

Or perhaps not everyone uses touchscreens or like smae things as you do? ever think about that?

I don't use a touchscreen. I use a mouse. I have a regular desktop and a non-touch netbook.

TBH I would still be running XP if it wasn't because of games not running on it, so until the day comes that win7 has a sizeable amount of games not running on it I'll just stick with it.

Windows 8 is faster in things like start up and shutdown. It's actually slower on 3D performance according to several benchmarks in real-world usage like games.

Personally, I hate it. My father returned a computer that had it installed after finding it unusable, and the store that sold it to him said he was far from the only customer to do so. My wife has struggled with making it usable and stuck with it only because the laptop it came installed on was free. The stories I keep hearing are of things like IT professionals struggling for hours to figure out how to simply turn the stupid thing off (and my wife's computer came with a third-party application to provide a simple means of doing so.) One of Costco's suppliers has started offering new PCs with Windows 7 installed.

If you're fine with Windows 8, bully for you, but if it's because you can squint and turn sideways and do five different things and it then works great for you still puts you in a minority, and not one with a good position to sneer condescendingly at anyone else under the misapprehension that it's some kind of stodgy Luddite-ism.

BigTuk:

Devin Connors:

This is what happenes when you let managers and marketers throw around tech jargon.

So what did Nadella mean by a "single converged operating system?" The vision is for every version of Windows to run on the same code core, which is something Microsoft has been implementing over the last few years.

The Xbox One has a stripped-down version of Windows 8 running, after all. With the same foundation, writing apps and services for all devices running Windows will be a cinch, relatively speaking.

Yeah and the XBone was a rousing success wasn't it MS, clearly no bad decisions there. Never mind that again, the Xbone is a game console, it only has to do one thing, there is no variation in hardware from one XBone to the next.

Ever heard of hardware abstraction? Everything above the HAL can be brought together on flexible a API. For mobile devices the HAL can be small and lightweight because of the limited hardware available. I suspect you might see some Active directory integration on mobile devices too.

BigTuk:

This actually isn't difficult. Linux already does this and KDE will actually detect your device type and tailor the UI to match. Bear in mind that as far as the OS is concerned an x86 tablet is an x86 PC, the rest is screen size and peripherals.

The grand plan sounds like what the plan for Windows 8 should've been. The problem is, there are clearly too many cooks in the kitchen over at Microsoft and nobody is conferring with anybody else so I question whether this genuinely great idea will be realised. The best laid plans easily fall apart as soon as delegation and development in isolation occurs. I mean, just look my personal laundry list of other cock-ups of Windows 8:

Eyebleeding Colour Schemes in Windows 8.1
Clearly whoever designed the code for assigning icons to "legacy" programs didn't confer with the person handling the Start Screen revamp. Or anyone with taste.

Huge Overbearing Windows Button in Windows 8.1
Care was clearly taken in Windows 8.0 to make this button look and feel the same as the Show Desktop button and offer more screen real estate. This rationale was lost on whoever scrapped it in Windows 8.1. Somebody didn't confer with the person who previously worked on this feature. Besides, the main user request -- an actual menu -- was completely ignored.

All the Devastation Unleashed Upon Multi-Lingual Users
Microsoft's own blog implies out that this code was designed and written by a mono-lingual with their Spanish using friends in mind. The shift from Windows 7 is underpinned by an assumption that there's no reason to separate input (keyboard) and output (display) languages. Plainly obvious nobody who uses a language with a different script to English was ever consulted. I mean, this was absolutely atrocious. No multilingual ever, ever wants mixed languages on one screen (let alone three on a single Start Screen tile as would often occur), yet the default settings would set the Start Screen to a mixture of languages arranged arbitrarily on what keyboard you last used before shutdown.

Multiple Windows Updates Often Install in the Wrong Order
This is a fatal cock-up and makes me utterly dread restoring any system from a boot partition, and it's simply getting worse as the updates are piling up. It's not just a matter of sitting back and letting Windows handle everything, you have to basically manually stagger and apply every single update of the past two years in chronological order interspaced with restarts when requested if you want to completely avoid the risk of fatal update clashes. Were the people writing these updates conferring with one another to set up any sort of dependency list?

Callate:
Windows 8 is faster in things like start up and shutdown. It's actually slower on 3D performance according to several benchmarks in real-world usage like games.

evidently wrong

sadly cant find the article now at 6 am in the morning but there was one where it shown FPS persistency graph and win 8 was way more stable in FPS persistency, which is great because it means that it does not have processing bottlenecks there.

snave:

Multiple Windows Updates Often Install in the Wrong Order
This is a fatal cock-up and makes me utterly dread restoring any system from a boot partition, and it's simply getting worse as the updates are piling up. It's not just a matter of sitting back and letting Windows handle everything, you have to basically manually stagger and apply every single update of the past two years in chronological order interspaced with restarts when requested if you want to completely avoid the risk of fatal update clashes. Were the people writing these updates conferring with one another to set up any sort of dependency list?

to be honest, this was also a problem updating windows 7, and windows vista, and windows XP to an extent. oh and remmeber that update that bricked computers? windows update was always unreliable clusterfuck of sorts.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here