Report: Apple OS X Yosemite Due in October with New MacBook, 4K Desktop

Report: Apple OS X Yosemite Due in October with New MacBook, 4K Desktop

Apple OS X MacBook Air 310x

The previewed desktop OS will launch alongside a new 12-inch MacBook Air, and a 4K desktop machine.

The next major iteration of Apple's OS X operating system will reportedly launch in October, one month after iOS 8.

Called Yosemite, OS X 10.10 has a number of aesthetic changes when compared to 10.9 (Mavericks). Yosemite will also work very closely with iOS devices, offering continuous client-esque features to those fully invested in the Apple ecosystem(s).

The popular rumor is that the iPhone 6 will launch in September alongside iOS 8. Similarly, new hardware will launch with OS X Yosemite the next month. First, a new 12-inch MacBook Air will be introduced, and 9to5mac says the new machine will be "much thinner and slightly lighter," while featuring a Retina Display, and the aluminum body MacBook users are already familiar with.

On top of a new laptop/ultraportable, Apple will release a desktop product featuring a 4K resolution display. It's not yet clear if the machine will be an iMac, or if the product in question is a standalone 4K Cinema Display. My money is on both -- why keep 4K stuck in an all-in-one if you can separate the tech out into a standalone (and likely very successful) piece of hardware?

The last time the iMac received an update to its display was 2012, when the slim unibody models were first announced. While the models got an internal spec boost last year (new CPU, new GPU options), the 27-inch 2560x1440 display has not changed. A new high-end iMac with a 27- or 28-inch 4K displauy is not outside the realm of possibility.

Source: 9to5mac

I don't know about an iMac being able to support 4k. Isn't that more of a demand on the video card? My 27 inch iMac has an AMD 6970 mobile card. That's my problem with iMacs in general- small enclosed unibodies with no choice but MOBILE cards. It's a good card and runs everything I need it to at High settings 2560x1440(or ultra depending on what I tweak or what game I'm playing) but that sucker can get pretty hot sometimes (actually iMacs have a very unique convection system for cooling but I don't always trust it especially when I'm in Windows and running something that's not optimized). I can't imagine a mobile card being able to support 4k without it melting a hole in your desk. Now I don't know much on this topic so maybe someone can please enlighten me, but I'm thinking this will be more for the stand alone Cinema Display thing. Again I can be wrong. I'm genuinely curious.

Nowhere Man:
I don't know about an iMac being able to support 4k. Isn't that more of a demand on the video card? My 27 inch iMac has an AMD 6970 mobile card. That's my problem with iMacs in general- small enclosed unibodies with no choice but MOBILE cards. It's a good card and runs everything I need it to at High settings 2560x1440(or ultra depending on what I tweak or what game I'm playing) but that sucker can get pretty hot sometimes (actually iMacs have a very unique convection system for cooling but I don't always trust it especially when I'm in Windows and running something that's not optimized). I can't imagine a mobile card being able to support 4k without it melting a hole in your desk. Now I don't know much on this topic so maybe someone can please enlighten me, but I'm thinking this will be more for the stand alone Cinema Display thing. Again I can be wrong. I'm genuinely curious.

The latest high end iMacs have a GTX 775m, which (supposedly) supports 4k. I'm willing to believe Apple will make sure there's an iMac that can feasibly run video editing in 4k, because they're still fairly popular with photographers and videographers, and they're all obsessing over 4k at the moment.

I'm still waiting to see the goods though. Here in Aus, there's absolutely no 4k content but all the tech companies are hyping the shit out of it. It's like they're hoping that enough people will be fooled into thinking a higher res display will make their existing content look better.

Shamanic Rhythm:

Nowhere Man:

The latest high end iMacs have a GTX 775m, which (supposedly) supports 4k. I'm willing to believe Apple will make sure there's an iMac that can feasibly run video editing in 4k, because they're still fairly popular with photographers and videographers, and they're all obsessing over 4k at the moment.

I'm still waiting to see the goods though. Here in Aus, there's absolutely no 4k content but all the tech companies are hyping the shit out of it. It's like they're hoping that enough people will be fooled into thinking a higher res display will make their existing content look better.

Ah ok. I haven't been keeping up with the latest Mac hardware nor am I very knowledgeable in video cards. I imagine the GTX 775m is a more efficient card since we're dealing with even slimmer iMacs nowadays. I don't do video editing (rather graphic design) but that's one of the main things I've always liked about this computer - the amazing display. 4k is a nice thing but I think it's going to be a while before the average consumer adopts it. There's still plenty of people that can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu Ray quality! Heathens! :)

I can tell you now this won't be cheap (it never is with Apple). If you wanted 4k and a GPU to support it you are easily looking at $1,500. Slap an Apple logo on it and you are looking at double the price.

When are they going to move on from OSX? There's been like 9 iterations of OSX.

Nowhere Man:

I know for Mac laptops, you can run an application called SMCFanControl that allows you to set and lock the fan speed. You can even do this for bootcamping over to Windows, though you have to boot into OS X first, set SMCFanControl, and then restart into Windows (critical: RESTART, not shutdown and then boot back up). I have it on my laptop, and I have different settings for normal use, heavy use, and gaming (where I spin the fans up to near max speeds). This has helped to keep my aging (2008) MBP cool while gaming (the few games I am able to play because the hardware is so old now).

I'm not sure if the iMac is constructed with active cooling fans or just uses passive convective cooling (never bothered to look into it before), but, if it does have active fans, SMCFanControl should help immensely with any worries of over-heating during gaming sessions.

If you want to download SMCFanControl and try it, you can google it easily. Just choose the eidac.de site, as they're the ones who developed the application, as I understand.

geizr:

I know for Mac laptops, you can run an application called SMCFanControl that allows you to set and lock the fan speed. You can even do this for bootcamping over to Windows, though you have to boot into OS X first, set SMCFanControl, and then restart into Windows (critical: RESTART, not shutdown and then boot back up). I have it on my laptop, and I have different settings for normal use, heavy use, and gaming (where I spin the fans up to near max speeds). This has helped to keep my aging (2008) MBP cool while gaming (the few games I am able to play because the hardware is so old now).

I'm not sure if the iMac is constructed with active cooling fans or just uses passive convective cooling (never bothered to look into it before), but, if it does have active fans, SMCFanControl should help immensely with any worries of over-heating during gaming sessions.

If you want to download SMCFanControl and try it, you can google it easily. Just choose the eidac.de site, as they're the ones who developed the application, as I understand.

Thank you for the advice and yes I do in fact use SMCFanControl. It sounds like you may already be aware of all this but from everything I've read about the iMac's design (excluding the new thin ones since I'm not sure about those) the whole aluminum case works as a conductor to dissipate heat. That's why the very top can get very hot to the touch but the back not as much. So the heat basically rises up and through the vent as well. So I guess it's kind of passive or at least the fans don't really get cranking until you put it under a load. Good if you like a quiet machine but bad if you're wondering if it's natural for it to feel so warm. Running things in Windows tend to put it under more of a load since I assume it can't access the SMC settings on the Mac side(?). Even with the SMCFancontrol it can feel pretty hot sometimes but I'm also paranoid so.. there's that. Again I've never had an issue (even before using FanControl) but tbh I'm going to build my own PC next time around. This thing was so damn expensive.

I like the way Apple arrange all his files. I found a new thing about it. Recently, I unhide my system files using http://www.showhiddenfilesmac.com

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here