First Look at Legend of Korra Bending Gameplay

Pages 1 2 NEXT

First Look at Legend of Korra Bending Gameplay

legend of korra game cover art

Watch Korra switch through the four elements and fight enemies in Platinum Games' Legend of Korra video game.

The first footage of the Legend of Korra game premiered at San Diego Comic Con via IGN. The game takes place in the Legend of Korra universe, starring avatar Korra.

As the avatar, Korra is able to control the four elements: earth, fire, air, and water. Korra must keep balance in the world and fight who would do wrong with her bending skills. The Legend of Korra game takes place between the TV series' Book 2 and Book 3, which is currently airing and switching to digital distribution.

The game takes approximately four hours to complete, but Platinum Games expects people will play through the game about three times. In the first playthrough players will be able to unlock abilities. In the second, players will interact more with the economy system for items, and the third is a difficult mode for the ultimate avatar.

In addition, there is a pro-bending mode where Korra and her teammates Mako and Bolin compete 3-versus-3 against other pro-bending teams.

Korra can only equip one element at a time, but rotating through them appears to happen with just a push of a button. Korra will have to be fluid in her movements as she singlehandedly takes down tanks and Equalists. Much of the game is action-based, but there will also be mini-games, such as riding the polar bear dog Naga through Republic City.

Legend of Korra will be a downloadable title on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One this fall.

Source: IGN

It looks like the Naruto ultimate ninja storm games. That's not a good thing at all.

The bending feels wrong. I feel in an attempt to make a fast paced Platinum game, I think Platinum and Activision did an atrocious job at making it feel like a Avatar/Korra game.

Come on, Platinum... We all know you can do better than that.

antigodoflife:
The bending feels wrong. I feel in an attempt to make a fast paced Platinum game, I think Platinum and Activision did an atrocious job at making it feel like a Avatar/Korra game.

%100 agree. I was watching it and all of the bending looks exactly the same. Too fast, too crisp. Each technique needs to be different. Water should be flowing. Earth is slower, more deliberate.

*sigh*

It -looks- good, but it's not accurate.

Err at least it look good as cel shading but yeah the bendings are not accuarate to the series.

I wonder if this will be the first Platinum Games flop or they suprised us all in that the game is still good?

It is definitely a lot more fast paced when compared to the action scenes in the show, and there are obviously some "gamey" mechanics to suit the combat a little more (materialising water from nowhere), but it looks pretty decent.

Noooooot too enthused based on what's shown here. I don't even watch the show or its predecessor aside from some episodes here and there, and the bending does not work at that pace, at least not really. The show's animation had a very real sense of presence, this is just floaty Platinum nonsense, which would be fine if it was, you know, a Platinum nonsense game.

It looks decent, but I feel like it'll be a bit annoying to appreciate for people who take stock on the feel of the show. I may give it a go, buuuuut that falls entirely on what it's competing against on its release schedule.

It looks... alright. It is an arcade game so at least it won't be too expensive, though I'm definitely going to wait for more on it before getting that excited.
Though, as someone who just got into Anarchy Reigns last month, the fighting really looked like a bending version of that (Yes I know they have the same Developer)/

youji itami:
It looks like the Naruto ultimate ninja storm games. That's not a good thing at all.

That's debatable. The Avatar universe would translate well to this kind of fighting game. However, I agree that, despite it would be a good fighting game, things would be more interesting if it was more of an action/platforming/puzzle kind of game.

Man fuck it, I'm excited. I thought Rising wouldn't be great and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of last gen. So I say bring this on.

Eh it looks bland to me. All the techniques have the same feel to them, the city looks... not populated.

I honestly would have preferred an open world rpg with actual cities and some meaning to the element factor of bending (how each works and how they preform against other elements), maybe even a little element based puzzle solving. That of course would have also been significantly more work, but a much more satisfying game.

Pass. As basically everyone said, this could be reskinned and no-one would know its an Avatar game. It doesn't look or feel right. I love the fact that bending is regarded as a martial art in the show, because it shows actual skill and tecnique, not blue or red AoE

I rather enjoyed what was shown, from the aesthetic to the flowing combat, but from what everybody is saying it sounds like Platinum Games made it too much like a Platinum game. A better focus on the authentic bending experience would probably better serve the game's core feeling, but until I get my hands on it I wouldn't know how different it will actually be compared to the rest of their games.

"Lucy and the Evil Within"? Lucy has a subtitle?

Wow... Oh, if only Platinum had a great action game they could sell to all the people currently disinterested in this bland mess, that would surely make more than this thing. Oh wait...they do.

I absolutely detest glowy powerups. Instead of making a linear action game where each element is just delegated to a bunch of different skills and effects, I would have liked to see a game that focused more on the differences of thinking between the styles and the way they use the environment.

Still, it looks like some shortlived fun for what that's worth.

Definitely looks as Platinum as can be with a Korra skin on top, I mean so far it does look pretty dece-
*parry confirmed in video*
never mind, I'm hyped again.

Looks pretty bad... Bending feels plain wrong and I HATE the orb absorption thing going when she downs a target. Really, the game would benefit a LOT more from a Shenmue style approach. "I'm the avatar, solving problems is what I do" would really be covered with that style and giving more weight to the bending and reducing the tempo would give it more presence.

The cel shading is nice at least.

CelestDaer:
"Lucy and the Evil Within"? Lucy has a subtitle?

I think they meant the game The Evil Within.

No PC? Doesn't look too good? Well screw all of this game then.

Ugh, really generic game. Bland environment. This really sucks because they're going to assume the IP will be to blame for crappy sales when it looks like this.

Ultra disappointed. Korra or not, it would have been a beautiful world to be a part of had they done it properly.

Eclipse Dragon:
Eh it looks bland to me. All the techniques have the same feel to them, the city looks... not populated.

I honestly would have preferred an open world rpg with actual cities and some meaning to the element factor of bending (how each works and how they preform against other elements), maybe even a little element based puzzle solving. That of course would have also been significantly more work, but a much more satisfying game.

Huh. So like an RPG where you start and pick which element you can bend? :) That does sound neat.

Plus, it would play nicely with what you can get from each with leveling up.

Water benders can heal, and use blood bending.

Fire benders can use lighting, and bend with their minds.

Earth benders can metal bend, and get those neat sensing abilities (see through walls by feeling, like Toph, or tell when someone is lying).

And Air benders can fly and have pets like lemurs and Air bison.

OT:
Like other people are saying, I don't much like the way the bending looks. :(
I guess I can hope the gameplay at least "Feels" good to play, but we won't know that until it's out and being reviewed.

I know it's only $15, but that won't make an unfun game any more enjoyable. Hope it is better to play than to watch.

The game looks gorgeous!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look very authentic to Avatar, and since I'm not a big fan of Platinum games, I guess I'll pass.

so, you can parry, but there are unparryable attacks......for fucks sake, this is why I god irritated with revengeance, I spent ALL this time training my parry skills, and now you expect me to "dodge", what a bunch of cunts.

good to know im not the only one underwhelmed, or rather, bad to know

i fucking love korra, in all senses, so itd be a shame if they cant make a proper video game out of this series

Looks like Korra's taking her predecessor's path for once and gets to star in her own shitty game...

Imp Emissary:

Eclipse Dragon:

Huh. So like an RPG where you start and pick which element you can bend? :) That does sound neat.

Plus, it would play nicely with what you can get from each with leveling up.

Water benders can heal, and use blood bending.

Fire benders can use lighting, and bend with their minds.

Earth benders can metal bend, and get those neat sensing abilities (see through walls by feeling, like Toph, or tell when someone is lying).

And Air benders can fly and have pets like lemurs and Air bison.

OT:
Like other people are saying, I don't much like the way the bending looks. :(
I guess I can hope the gameplay at least "Feels" good to play, but we won't know that until it's out and being reviewed.

I know it's only $15, but that won't make an unfun game any more enjoyable. Hope it is better to play than to watch.

man, they could like, take one of the previous encarnations of the avatar and make an entire game based around his/her journey to become the master of the elements, while also dealing with a Greater Evil™, kinda like the first avatar series

while i think korra is vastly superior to the first series, the concept of the first series is more game-y, easier to translate into a game

Fireprufe15:
No PC? Doesn't look too good? Well screw all of this game then.

it is comming to PC... yay?

Maybe the avatar state will be badass, but it looks too fast to be enjoyable and deep.

Well I think it looks fine, not amazing but pretty good, so by law of the Internet you are now all my mortal enemies.

Then again I wasn't expecting much due to it being a licensed game, even though it is Platinum.

The curse of the license is not so easily broken.

I suppose the genre/execution isn't ideal for the franchise, but I'm just glad that a reliable developer had an interest in making a Korra game to begin with. Maybe if this $15 downloadable title does well enough, Nick will actually consider hiring a studio for something bigger with more show-accurate mechanics.

roseofbattle:
Legend of Korra will be a downloadable title on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One this fall.

And PC, according to every other site I've seen reporting on the game.

This is one of those times where I really want a game, but didn't know I wanted it.

The bending is a little off, but then again, I didn't really expect it to perfectly emulate them.
Definitely buying it, and maybe if this one sells well more like it will be made?

Zachary Amaranth:
The game looks gorgeous!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look very authentic to Avatar, and since I'm not a big fan of Platinum games, I guess I'll pass.

Gorgeous? Really? It doesn't look sparse and bland to you with a little bit of pixel shading that is the only positive element to it?

Lightknight:

Zachary Amaranth:
The game looks gorgeous!

Gorgeous? Really? It doesn't look sparse and bland to you with a little bit of pixel shading that is the only positive element to it?

This is weird. Usually people only take issue with me trashing a game.

I stand by what I said.

Moving on....

Grimh:
Well I think it looks fine, not amazing but pretty good, so by law of the Internet you are now all my mortal enemies.

Man, my "mortal enemies" list is getting long. do you mind being on the "enemies with potential" list for a while? I might be able to squeeze you in in six or eight months.

NuclearKangaroo:

while i think korra is vastly superior to the first series, the concept of the first series is more game-y, easier to translate into a game

I suspect this game was intended to tie in with a show that Nickelodeon is now trying to bury, which is unfortunate all around.

Actually, this is a series I'd like to see turned into an Omega Force Warriors game. There's tons of characters and scenarios to choose from from the two shows, and it would need to focus less on the narrative than on the fangasm of playing as your favourite characters.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here