Raptr Introduces Game Recording, Streaming to its Social Gaming Client

Raptr Introduces Game Recording, Streaming to its Social Gaming Client

Raptr Logo 310x

Massive update has built-in AMD acceleration support for over 5,000 games.

Raptr has pushed out a massive update for its social gaming client, enabling gamers the world over to easily record and stream their PC gaming exploits.

Raptr has been around for a while -- you undoubtedly have friends on Twitter or Facebook who have the service post for them during gaming sessions -- but today marks a major leap for the social gaming client. The service's new Game Video Recorder (GVR) allows users to endlessly record and stream gameplay. Thanks to baked-in support for hardware encoding on both AMD and Nvidia hardware, GVR claims to offer its services with minimal impact on your system's horsepower.

Along with GVR comes Instant Replay, a service similar to Nvidia's Shadowplay software. Users can keep the last 20 minutes of gameplay on-tap consistently, just in case something worthy of your social circles happens when you're not streaming.

In both cases, recorded gameplay is uploaded to Raptr (no native YouTube support announced just yet), which in turn allows for easy one-click sharing on Twitter and Facebook.

AMD, which has a particularly close relationship with Raptr, announced that its VCE (Video Codec Engine) technology is behind its hardware acceleration support in Raptr. The tech is supported in over 5,000 titles, a number AMD says is exponentially higher than the 169 games with GeForce Experience support from Nvidia.

This has been an implemented feature for while now... and it's buggy as all hell. FRAPS is more reliable and it's not even made to work that closely with the hardware.

Alpha Maeko:
This has been an implemented feature for while now... and it's buggy as all hell. FRAPS is more reliable and it's not even made to work that closely with the hardware.

Probably why they released that "Massive update" for it today.

I checked it out and quickly hit the same question I do every other time I've checked it out: What do I actually need this for?

Alpha Maeko:

Speaking of FRAPS... It's been over a year since its last update hasn't it?

OT: I had an AMD R9 270X for a while, and had the Raptr client installed. I wasn't very impressed. It brought in unnecessary "social gaming" bloat.

Devin Connors:
The tech is supported in over 5,000 titles, a number AMD says is exponentially higher than the 169 games with GeForce Experience support from Nvidia.

169^2 = 28,561.
28,561 > 5,000.

Liars.

I've honestly never herd of this service. And after opening the front page I can understand why. The home page was an instant turn off for me.

Alpha Maeko:

Yeah, I tried this out when I was dealing with my AMD card and it was awful.

Zontar:
I've honestly never herd of this service. And after opening the front page I can understand why. The home page was an instant turn off for me.

It's a shame because it's actually a pretty nifty program. I love tracking the hours I spend in my games and seeing my 'yearly' report. I totally agree with you though, Raptr's new layout is just... Ugh. It didn't use to be like that, but I guess they feel it looks trendy or something? Ah well.

This is why I like competition, everyone benefits with each company trying to one up each other

ah, Raptr, instead of getting better at their unique thing they are now trying to do what other, better, services does. poorly. Good job AMD, you certainly know how to handle your aquisitions.

Not.

Zontar:

ever since they were bought out by AMD the look and feel of the service went down the toilet drain.

James Crook:

Speaking of FRAPS... It's been over a year since its last update hasn't it?

havent updated my fraps for years, still works perfectly for everything.

Twyce:
It didn't use to be like that, but I guess they feel it looks trendy or something? Ah well.

it used to be good when they were independant. since AMD bought them they were slowly eating their good will and creating a monstrocity.

I'm leary of any product/service that markets itself as "Social" anything.

Strazdas:

Twyce:
It didn't use to be like that, but I guess they feel it looks trendy or something? Ah well.

it used to be good when they were independant. since AMD bought them they were slowly eating their good will and creating a monstrocity.

I completely forgot about that. Good point. I tried to go to their site a few days ago...Trying to load pages was an effort in itself, let alone navigating them.

I used to use Raptr. Back then it was just a reskin of Pidgin but with PS3/360/Steam cross chat. Despite that, my friends and I rarely used it, as TeamSpeak/Ventrilo/Skype was way more convenient. I'm surprised they are doing more things with the software other than ranking you with the other few hundred people who use the service.

It think it's utterly insane that they still haven't made an Android app after all these years. Consider that Android is at an almost 50/50 split with iOS over the handheld market (and growing), it would be wise to also include that platform.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here