New Radio Burst Transmission Comes from Unknown Origin in Space

New Radio Burst Transmission Comes from Unknown Origin in Space

Arecibo radio telescope 310x

Mysterious radio transmissions are similar to bursts detected in 2007.

Radio telescopes on Earth have picked up radio burst transmissions from an unknown origin in space.

The latest transmissions were picked up by the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico (also known as Alec Trevelyan's satellite dish in GoldenEye), and additional reports on the same or similar transmissions are expected from other installations in the near future, according to NPR.

The first such transmissions were picked up in 2007, by the Parkes radio telescope in Australia. Duncan Lorimer and his Parker team said the first burst they detected came from outside of our galaxy, but several bursts that followed came from much closer origins. The origin differences cast Parker's detections into doubt. That doubt evaporated when Science published a report about similar findings.

Weeding out and interpreting such transmissions smacks of needles in haystacks. Not only do our radio telescopes -- as big as they are -- only see a small portion of space, but transmissions that are picked up? It's nearly impossible to calculate their origin.

Like anyone else, I'd love to take such transmissions as evidence of alien life (and some astronomers are), but there are so many other causes to consider. Many, including Science, say many of bursts are from celestial origins, which could include solar flares, or black holes.

But maybe...just maybe...some world out in the cosmos is trying its hardest to send out the latest megahit from its version of Beyonce. Let's all keep our fingers crossed, yes?

Source: NPR

Unknown = Aliens

Every... damn.. time.

Meh, anyone who thinks this is proof of aliens is just as crazy as the people who find Jesus in their toast. I'm not even smart enough to say this, but I imagine that 'radio waves' doesn't automatically mean 'the optimal form and frequency for alien life to send messages over long distances with'.

Nurb:
Unknown = Aliens

Every... damn.. time.

This.

Life would be easier if they'd all take the cynical approach to the search for alien life. One excellent surprise is better than a thousand mild disappointments.

Its V'Ger... and we've still got Shatner to handle it. Better make sure he survives long enough to make contact with it and keep it from destroying Earth.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Its V'Ger... and we've still got Shatner to handle it. Better make sure he survives long enough to make contact with it and keep it from destroying Earth.

That man was offered a free trip to space, and he turned it down because he was too scared.

Grape_Nuts:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

That man was offered a free trip to space, and he turned it down because he was too scared.

It wasn't the Enterprise, on any other ship he'd be liable to the Red Shirt syndrome.

"Unknown origin in space?" Weird name you've got for my home.

I keep thinking how hilarious it would be if we stumbled across a couple of hundred light-years-old radio signals that were essentially an alien 80s MTV. We could watch an alien music video channel rise, then slowly move on to reality shows and mindless other crap. This one channel as the only window into a civilization that will take us centuries to respond to.

While it would be awesome proof of alien life, it would also be a bit of a let down. :)

Though still better than the terror of only seeing an alien civilization from its version of FOX news.

Came here expecting another "WoW signal", and I leave disappointed.

Nurb:
Unknown = Aliens

Every... damn.. time.

Says it all really.

Agayek:

Nurb:
Unknown = Aliens

Every... damn.. time.

Says it all really.

Yea. It really does. Still the child in me wishes one day that this might happen.

Here's hoping it's just a natural occurrence or one of our satellites like the last "every dame time" this happened.

I don't know who said it, but in the search for alien life, no news is good news.

The mothership is calling me again. God, this is getting so annoying.

i wonder what are the chances that its one of our own signals bouncing of some celestial?

My basic attitude is that if there is some kind of long-range transmission being sent out from aliens there is likely going to be a recognizable pattern, especially if it's intended for the purpose of communications. Basically if your just getting a crapload of noise, whether it's radio waves or not, chances are it's nothing, especially not a deliberate attempt to communicate.

To put things into perspective, we've put a ridiculous amount of time into thinking about how to approach first contact situations over the years. Any alien species thinking in similar terms is likely to have done the same thing. The universe does have certain basic scientific constants, and things like mathematics are going to be fairly universal even if the symbols for different numbers and concepts are not. Physics, math, pictograms, things like that are what are likely to be used by something or someone trying to contact us deliberately.

I'll also say that I do not think that aliens are necessarily going to be hostile, and will probably have weigh most of the moral quandaries we have. While it's not always the right thing to do (as the show demonstrates) Star Trek's "Prime Directive" is a very common sense thing, and I'd imagine it would not be something only we would think of. Furthermore I'd imagine if we ever made it up into space it would be one of the first things our leadership would put into force. Either that or trying to establish some kind of "uplift" principle.

The bottom line is that I just can't get excited about space noise, or the possibility that maybe thousands of years ago aliens visited and decided we weren't worth bothering with anymore, or whatever else.... and no I'm not buying that aliens stop by just so they can slice up cow anuses for lulz. I think alien life exists, but I'm not going to get excited until I see a ship, or some ET decides to make formal contact... which I honestly don't think will happen until we have a single world government/culture for them to deal with at the very least (if we are under observation).

Therumancer:
My basic attitude is that if there is some kind of long-range transmission being sent out from aliens there is likely going to be a recognizable pattern, especially if it's intended for the purpose of communications. Basically if your just getting a crapload of noise, whether it's radio waves or not, chances are it's nothing, especially not a deliberate attempt to communicate.

Unless they've figured out a way to reduce signal degradation, it could very well be an alien signal but we're unable to recognize it as such because the further away you are from the signal the harder it is to distinguish its content. Inverse square law and all. Our own signals are pretty much just space noise just a few light years from here, which is why the Contact idea is fairly impossible unless whoever gets the transmission is able to piece it together.
Its like dropping a rock in the Pacific off California and expecting someone in Japan to perceive the edge of the ripple when it reached there (which it may not because of the ocean's currents and tides and all).

EDIT: Shit hit post before I was done.
The only way they could be signaling us is if they were narrow-focusing their transmission directly at our planet/solar system.

Well, I can see the only bad thing about this is if the transition that was picked up was actually one of our own "repelled" back to us...

I'd love for this to be something big, but then again, I'm a regular Fox Mulder when it comes to UFOs. ;)

Zontar:
I don't know who said it, but in the search for alien life, no news is good news.

Someone who had never read Saberhagen's Berzerker or any of the countless variations on the theme of alien drones who wipe out life on any planets showing signs of civilization to cut back on competition.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Therumancer:

Unless they've figured out a way to reduce signal degradation, it could very well be an alien signal but we're unable to recognize it as such because the further away you are from the signal the harder it is to distinguish its content. Inverse square law and all. Our own signals are pretty much just space noise just a few light years from here, which is why the Contact idea is fairly impossible unless whoever gets the transmission is able to piece it together.
Its like dropping a rock in the Pacific off California and expecting someone in Japan to perceive the edge of the ripple when it reached there (which it may not because of the ocean's currents and tides and all).

EDIT: Shit hit post before I was done.
The only way they could be signaling us is if they were narrow-focusing their transmission directly at our planet/solar system.

Well, my basic thought is that if they understand enough about radio waves, and know enough to have figured out this is a likely place for other intelligent life to be (or have otherwise confirmed our existence) they would likely have figured out how to solve those problems before sending the signal, or would have used something else. The very fact that it's so degraded makes it unlikely that it was a deliberate attempt to communicate.

I suppose it's possible we could be picking up a stray signal not intended for us (which of course raises questions about encryption and such) but given the problems with radio that your pointing out it's unlikely they would be using that unless they found a way to solve the problem.

Of course then again there are other crackpot theories about how the government(s) are in communication with aliens already. In which case it could be the government doing something to degrade the signal when it gets to these listening posts, which again goes back to encryption.

In view of certain conspiracies the timing here could actually be considered uncanny. We've got more global chaos going on than in a long time. It's been suspected by a lot of people that if the government is in communication with aliens that not all presidents are trusted with the secret, generally coming down to political affiliation and attitudes. For example one popular source of conspiracy theories was how Richard Nixon once took Jackie Gleason to see proof of aliens (Jackie was a UFO nut). On the other hand Bill Clinton once made a big deal about how he wanted to make a big thing out of a search within the government for proof of aliens. It tends to also be somewhat tied to concepts of a "shadow government" and shadowy business types basing a lot of developments off of alien technology and so on. Following that train of thought one could easily see aliens checking in to see WTF is going on down here on earth given a lot of the garbage happening, with intentional efforts being made to disguise the transmissions as garbage specifically so the current leadership wouldn't have any idea. That's pretty borked of course, but if your going to get into crazy theories for why you might see a deliberate "degraded" transmission that's one possible reason based on ideas that are already out there. At the end of the day though that kind of theory ultimately exists as a way for 'theorists' to explain why certain guys like Nixon who fit heavily into UFO mythology through stories like the above, could be well informed, while other presidents who seem like they would be a lot more free with that kind of information and have even said so before they were close to office have not been able to turn up anything (and theorists will also oftentimes go into stories about how Bill Clinton allegedly hit stonewalls within the armed forces he was allegedly in charge of during his search for example, providing *ahem* 'evidence' of conspiracies within the government that not all presidents got to be a part of).

Therumancer:

In view of certain conspiracies the timing here could actually be considered uncanny. We've got more global chaos going on than in a long time. It's been suspected by a lot of people that if the government is in communication with aliens that not all presidents are trusted with the secret, generally coming down to political affiliation and attitudes. For example one popular source of conspiracy theories was how Richard Nixon once took Jackie Gleason to see proof of aliens (Jackie was a UFO nut). On the other hand Bill Clinton once made a big deal about how he wanted to make a big thing out of a search within the government for proof of aliens. It tends to also be somewhat tied to concepts of a "shadow government" and shadowy business types basing a lot of developments off of alien technology and so on. Following that train of thought one could easily see aliens checking in to see WTF is going on down here on earth given a lot of the garbage happening, with intentional efforts being made to disguise the transmissions as garbage specifically so the current leadership wouldn't have any idea. That's pretty borked of course, but if your going to get into crazy theories for why you might see a deliberate "degraded" transmission that's one possible reason based on ideas that are already out there. At the end of the day though that kind of theory ultimately exists as a way for 'theorists' to explain why certain guys like Nixon who fit heavily into UFO mythology through stories like the above, could be well informed, while other presidents who seem like they would be a lot more free with that kind of information and have even said so before they were close to office have not been able to turn up anything (and theorists will also oftentimes go into stories about how Bill Clinton allegedly hit stonewalls within the armed forces he was allegedly in charge of during his search for example, providing *ahem* 'evidence' of conspiracies within the government that not all presidents got to be a part of).

Sometimes I feel conspiracy theories latch on to circumstantial evidence as "proof" they're right on whatever garbage theory they come up with. That being said, I also feel that if we had previously had contact with aliens, and it was covered up the logical theory would be the MiB explanation, that humanity isn't at a point where ET contact would be widely accepted without mass panic ("a person is smart, people are dumb panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K).
However logic doesn't always factor in on why humans do things. The only other reason I can think of could be that such aliens have seen how we treat people of our own race who differ from them and are wary of being exposed to the public at large. Those are my theories regarding if we've met them personally.
If it happens to be just radio contact, not releasing said knowledge to the public may be because we don't totally understand these ETs or are wary because their mode of thought is alien to ours (yeah, well no pun intended).

I want to believe...

But frankly we know so little about space there could be any number of more likely options we haven't explored that are more likely than aliens, but all of them are far less interesting.

"This is a millennial test of the Pan Dimentional Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test. If this were a real pan dimentional emergency, more information would have followed."

On the other hand, the standard "hello world" would certainly have a different meaning here...

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Therumancer:

Yes and no. You wouldn't want to send a complicated signal, that'd be hard to interpret anyway.

Something along the lines of:

However, just pulses with gaps between them, would work much better.

OTOH, no way of telling if people on the other side would recognise it. Or rather, that they'd stop and look at it in the first place. Once their attention is drawn, it'd be easy to see what it is, but might go unremarked on.

thaluikhain:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Therumancer:

Yes and no. You wouldn't want to send a complicated signal, that'd be hard to interpret anyway.

Something along the lines of:

However, just pulses with gaps between them, would work much better.

OTOH, no way of telling if people on the other side would recognise it. Or rather, that they'd stop and look at it in the first place. Once their attention is drawn, it'd be easy to see what it is, but might go unremarked on.

Like I said in my edit, it would depend on if its a wide broadcast or narrow signal, even a simple signal would degrade over distance in wide broadcast, maybe take longer. The more narrow and focused would probably work better but it requires some confidence that the target would get it (and nothing else would get in the way or degrade it). I mean there's so much space between one point and another and the amount of time it takes for things to travel even at light speed could mean some form of spatial distortion or debris crosses between said emission and endpoint and degrades or deflects the signal. Hell this signal could be another signal not meant for us that was reflected/refracted towards us. Also wouldn't other signals in the same RF interfere or garble a signal? I'm a bit off on my radio signals.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Like I said in my edit, it would depend on if its a wide broadcast or narrow signal, even a simple signal would degrade over distance in wide broadcast, maybe take longer. The more narrow and focused would probably work better but it requires some confidence that the target would get it (and nothing else would get in the way or degrade it). I mean there's so much space between one point and another and the amount of time it takes for things to travel even at light speed could mean some form of spatial distortion or debris crosses between said emission and endpoint and degrades or deflects the signal. Hell this signal could be another signal not meant for us that was reflected/refracted towards us. Also wouldn't other signals in the same RF interfere or garble a signal? I'm a bit off on my radio signals.

Well, yes, but I meant a really simple signal, something that you can't garble.

By way of analogy, if you are in a crowded room with lots of people talking over you, you can bang a gong. The exact sound of the gong would be garbled a bit, but that's not important, what's important is that people know a gong has been banged, which wasn't happening before. You wait a bit and then bang it twice, wait the same time again and bang it thrice, wait and then 5 times and so on.

There's no real information in the signal, only that there is a signal, and it's not natural.

Of course, the trick is banging the gong loud enough to hear. This is a concern, yes.

Though, sending focused beams to likely stars isn't that outlandish, and there's not that much between you and most of the nearest of them.

ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO
LANDING THERE

thaluikhain:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Well, yes, but I meant a really simple signal, something that you can't garble.

By way of analogy, if you are in a crowded room with lots of people talking over you, you can bang a gong. The exact sound of the gong would be garbled a bit, but that's not important, what's important is that people know a gong has been banged, which wasn't happening before. You wait a bit and then bang it twice, wait the same time again and bang it thrice, wait and then 5 times and so on.

There's no real information in the signal, only that there is a signal, and it's not natural.

Of course, the trick is banging the gong loud enough to hear. This is a concern, yes.

Though, sending focused beams to likely stars isn't that outlandish, and there's not that much between you and most of the nearest of them.

Of course, I only mean that while we know some things about space and its properties, our view is from our side only and we've no way of knowing exactly what is happening between "here" and "out there" only the theories and models we can conceive being here. Like we can measure what we can see and understand but we don't have much of an accurate point of view from the other side. Therefore we've no idea what can occur out there and all. For all we know, everything is still fairly Earth-centric and limited by that view.
Still I'm ever hopeful that there is life out there we've yet to observe, that could be at least as developed both intelligence-wise and technologically as us. It would seem to be an awful waste of space if we were the only thing out here.

Radio bursts from outer space?

In the UK, we take those and broadcast indecipherable alien shite from another world and put it between 97 - 99 FM.

Belaam:
I keep thinking how hilarious it would be if we stumbled across a couple of hundred light-years-old radio signals that were essentially an alien 80s MTV. We could watch an alien music video channel rise, then slowly move on to reality shows and mindless other crap. This one channel as the only window into a civilization that will take us centuries to respond to.

While it would be awesome proof of alien life, it would also be a bit of a let down. :)

Though still better than the terror of only seeing an alien civilization from its version of FOX news.

As soon as they start broadcasting Jupiter Shore we will know their civilisation is doomed.

Or maybe this is just a signal to let us know about the planned hyperspace bypass?

Latest mega-hit from beyonce had me rofling hahahahahahaha, might seem like a waste of time to a lot pf people but I'm delighted that work like this is being done.

I'm saying it was aliens.

But it wasn't aliens.

Wait...

My money's on colliding celestial bodies or chain supernovae.

Either way, it's going to be metal as fuck.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here