Warcraft Movie Teaser Trailer Wows at Comic-Con

Warcraft Movie Teaser Trailer Wows at Comic-Con

Will Warcraft be able to buck the bad video game movie trend?

Read Full Article

Sure wish WE could see this magical trailer instead of simply having the 11 second logo... I mean really, they want people to get hype, so they let you imagine how amazing the trailer is instead of you know... letting them see it.

Hmm... actually, I'm OK with the movie having so much CGI in it. I mean, it's Blizzard. You can criticize them for a lot of things, but their rendered cutscenes are among the best (if not THE best) you can get on your PC/console. If that translates to screen as well as described I'm all for it.

Xerosch:
Hmm... actually, I'm OK with the movie having so much CGI in it. I mean, it's Blizzard. You can criticize them for a lot of things, but their rendered cutscenes are among the best (if not THE best) you can get on your PC/console. If that translates to screen as well as described I'm all for it.

Except Blizzard isn't in charge of making the CGI.

Blizzard buck the trend of bad videogame based movies? Yeeeeaaaaah nooooo. Not unless they hired a competent writer for once which I don't see happening. I could be wrong of course. Even then a competent writer likely isn't enough to help 'em...

Also how much bullshit is the alliance gonna be hit by this time?

Halyah:
Blizzard buck the trend of bad videogame based movies? Yeeeeaaaaah nooooo. Not unless they hired a competent writer for once which I don't see happening. I could be wrong of course. Even then a competent writer likely isn't enough to help 'em...

Duncan Jones is both director and writer, along with another guy. I'd say Duncan Jones is pretty competent.

finding this really annoying al this talk of trailers and avengers footage and yet.....not a single to any of it

Strawb:

Halyah:

Duncan Jones is both director and writer, along with another guy. I'd say Duncan Jones is pretty competent.

The WoW creative team is also involved in the writing. (According to Blizzcon panels, anyway) I would say, that while the Warcraft lore isn't exactly Shakespeare, they've always had a way of delivering really cool set-pieces. Not sure how the pacing, dialogue or humour are going to go over, or how good the CGI is actually going to be, but for better or for worse, this looks to be a real Warcraft movie.

Strawb:

Halyah:

Not familiar with that name so I'll take your word for it. So then any screwup is most likely blizzards fault insofar as the writing goes as usual. At least it'll look pretty I guess?

Halyah:

Strawb:

Halyah:

Not familiar with that name so I'll take your word for it. So then any screwup is most likely blizzards fault insofar as the writing goes as usual. At least it'll look pretty I guess?

Well not that it makes him inherently gold, but he is David Bowies son, so I think he'll do well, it should give him juuust the right amount of zaniness necessary.

So was that the trailer shown?.... if so I want a lobotomy organized for everyone who got 'hype'.

Flutterguy:
So was that the trailer shown?.... if so I want a lobotomy organized for everyone who got 'hype'.

It was not and it's explained in the article.

AstaresPanda:
finding this really annoying al this talk of trailers and avengers footage and yet.....not a single to any of it

Completely agree with you on this. They shouldn't bother reporting on garbage they can't properly show the rest of us out here. So what if a few people got to see it, if the rest of us can't watch it, it is nothing more than some pandering tripe to a few morons who got to get in the hall and thus not worth even noting.

Halyah:
Not familiar with that name so I'll take your word for it.

The two films Duncan Jones directed - Moon and Source Code - have both been pretty well-received.

elvor0:
Well not that it makes him inherently gold, but he is David Bowies son, so I think he'll do well, it should give him juuust the right amount of zaniness necessary.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah if there's one thing Warcraft needs less of, it's zaniness. Granted it could just look that way because Blizzard has never handled it very well in WoW.

RA92:

Halyah:
Not familiar with that name so I'll take your word for it.

The two films Duncan Jones directed - Moon and Source Code - have both been pretty well-received.

Guess we'll see how it goes in the end. I wish him the best of luck.

In this age of cellphone cameras and Google Glass and whatnot, not one person managed to catch the damn thing and upload it to the Net?

Halyah:
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah if there's one thing Warcraft needs less of, it's zaniness. Granted it could just look that way because Blizzard has never handled it very well in WoW.

Well I'm not saying the film would be whacky, I'm just saying he personally would be a bit zany, being Bowies son, which sould afford him not to do what I suspect a lot of directors would do; just make it a straight up "Good vs Evil" film and give it that certain..."Warcraft" feel, to stop it from being a generic fantasy flick. Besides, it's not like the zanieness has ever been apparent in the main story, just the off and side quests. It's had silly elements since warcraft 2, which means it's had them longer than it hasn't at this point.

Im still a bit confused, it's supposed to be live action and CGI mixed together?

I don't understand why they don't just go all CGI. They can do a lot more with it and it looks more then good enough.
I mean, compare their stuff to say something like Frozen, it really should not be a problem for anyone to go watch that.
Other then the actual style, there is not much different between what Blizzard animates and what Pixar does, so what gives?

Hell, I still think the animation in Spirit Within and Advent children is amazing and holds up. I would really like to see more movies made like that, but people don't seem to wanna make them..

Same goes for roboscoped movies I guess, only two big ones that I know of.

Animation is not quite good enough to blend perfectly with live action just yet so I'd say either do one or the other, not both.

elvor0:

Halyah:

Well I'm not saying the film would be whacky, I'm just saying he personally would be a bit zany, being Bowies son, which sould afford him not to do what I suspect a lot of directors would do; just make it a straight up "Good vs Evil" film and give it that certain..."Warcraft" feel, to stop it from being a generic fantasy flick. Besides, it's not like the zanieness has ever been apparent in the main story, just the off and side quests. It's had silly elements since warcraft 2, which means it's had them longer than it hasn't at this point.

Silly elements is one thing. Making good use of them is a different story. Blizzards 'professional' writers are not good at it.

Halyah:

elvor0:

Halyah:

Silly elements is one thing. Making good use of them is a different story. Blizzards 'professional' writers are not good at it.

But at least Chris Metzen is still a person. (Don't you worry, I'll always be in these topics, reminding you of the greatest human being to have ever voice-acted the entire collection of fresh toast. GREETINGS, FRIEND!)

OT:
Yeah this is like, a logo, yo. I'm so excited.

:P

Ferisar:

Halyah:

elvor0:

But at least Chris Metzen is still a person. (Don't you worry, I'll always be in these topics, reminding you of the greatest human being to have ever voice-acted the entire collection of fresh toast. GREETINGS, FRIEND!)

OT:

I find his voice acting to be overrated and mediocre at best, utter bullocks at worst. :P

Rattja:
Im still a bit confused, it's supposed to be live action and CGI mixed together?

I don't understand why they don't just go all CGI. They can do a lot more with it and it looks more then good enough.
I mean, compare their stuff to say something like Frozen, it really should not be a problem for anyone to go watch that.
Other then the actual style, there is not much different between what Blizzard animates and what Pixar does, so what gives?

Hell, I still think the animation in Spirit Within and Advent children is amazing and holds up. I would really like to see more movies made like that, but people don't seem to wanna make them..

Same goes for roboscoped movies I guess, only two big ones that I know of.

Animation is not quite good enough to blend perfectly with live action just yet so I'd say either do one or the other, not both.

I guess it's just that they're really, really fucking time consuming and difficult to make. Square did it because they make video games, and everything involved in their films was just more of what they already do. Cartoony ones like pixar are obviously easier to make because they're not as graphically intense, but they're still difficult for smaller studios to make without them looking like arse, and intense ones like Advent Children and Spirits Within are likely to be beyond the skill of most studios, which again, would cause them to look like arse.

I mean just look at Beware the Batman or Green Lantern or Gormiti Nature unleashed, the cgi in those shows look like they were made for a beginner university project, characters are lifeless and stiff when they move, there's no detail to anything, environments are boxy and empty, lighting seems to be a concept alien to them, as does the notion that when people talk, they do more than flap their mouth up and down like a dummy. For DC it's even worse, as they should've learned their lesson when they made that dodgy CGI opening to Justice League for no apparent reason than they could.

I don't get why these teasers aren't publicly available. Are these secret and exclusive stunts somehow supposed to hype me?

Halyah:

Ferisar:

OT:

I find his voice acting to be overrated and mediocre at best, utter bullocks at worst. :P

I do believe there was a measure of sarcasm in his post.

He's been widely criticized for his voiceacting (not in the least of his voice acting coach), but the way I see it, it just means that he's engaged in what he does, which is significantly more than most people in similar positions do.
This goes way back to the classic games, where it wasn't only Samwise Didier that did the concept art, but Metzen made a few pieces as well (while nowhere as great, they were gritty and gave you a good idea of what he thought Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft were about).

I don't like his rockstar persona either, but I'd rather have him than the business minded assholes we see in almost all other game companies.

Smilomaniac:
I don't get why these teasers aren't publicly available. Are these secret and exclusive stunts somehow supposed to hype me?

Halyah:

Ferisar:

OT:

He's been widely criticized for his voiceacting (not in the least of his voice acting coach), but the way I see it, it just means that he's engaged in what he does, which is significantly more than most people in similar positions do.
This goes way back to the classic games, where it wasn't only Samwise Didier that did the concept art, but Metzen made a few pieces as well (while nowhere as great, they were gritty and gave you a good idea of what he thought Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft were about).

I don't like his rockstar persona either, but I'd rather have him than the business minded assholes we see in almost all other game companies.

Yep, I just love poking fun at him in these threads because it always happens when anything WC-related comes up, he's complaining and I'm enjoying myself :P

I'll take passion-driven camp over business-minded mediocrity. It can contested all day as to how deserving Metzen is based on that, but I frankly couldn't give much of a shit for it. I'm still playing their games, that's good enough for me.

EDIT: Also worth noting, I view him as a spokesperson for their studio, and it works just fine. I'm well aware that Blizzard isn't composed of Chris Metzen sitting at his house in Pajamas making the next WoW expansion by himself, drinking away the sadness of Pardo and Ghostcrawler leaving to make ten thousand Teemo skins.

SQUIRE, ATTEND ME!

Err why did they went with the Starcraft font and styling? Well that what it had remind me of!

Halyah:

elvor0:

Halyah:

Such as? Is this about Pandaria?

And really, professional doesn't mean you have to be good at it, just means you get paid to do it.

elvor0:
Square did it because they make video games, and everything involved in their films was just more of what they already do

Forgive me for being stupid here, but isn't that exactly the possision Blizzard is in? I don't really see the diffrence.
It would just be the Mist of Pandaria trailer, just more of it.

It's a shame there are so few full length movies like this though. I get that they are expencive, but in my opinion it's worth it.
I mean it's close to real, but not quite. Everything that happens feels like it belongs because there is no such thing as a prop or a special effect (well kinda but you know what I mean). You can't sit there and point out the green screen or wonder how strange it must be to act with something you can't see.

I don't know, it just feels better with full CGI for me at least. Maybe it's because I am used to them using it in their games, and suddenly seeing a real actor trying to mimmic that would just look like cosplay.
We'll see once it's done, whenever that is.

elvor0:

Halyah:

elvor0:

And really, professional doesn't mean you have to be good at it, just means you get paid to do it.

Not sure why you brought up pandaland specifically, but I've generally found most silly stuff done by Blizzard to be pretty badly done. Maybe this is culture clash or maybe they're just that crappy at it. I don't know.

Yeah Blizzard has taught me that lesson quite well. Especially when their level of quality can be outdone by fanfic writers of all things.

Smilomaniac:

Halyah:

Ferisar:

OT:

I know he was sarcastic. I just couldn't find a witty or sarcastic reply that fit so I went for blunt honesty instead. That and to be honest with his blatant horde bias. plus numerous other issues which may be his or his writers fault, I'd almost prefer a stale business asshole if it meant stuff like Med'an never popped up ever again.

Rattja:

elvor0:
Square did it because they make video games, and everything involved in their films was just more of what they already do

Forgive me for being stupid here, but isn't that exactly the possision Blizzard is in? I don't really see the diffrence.
It would just be the Mist of Pandaria trailer, just more of it.

It's a shame there are so few full length movies like this though. I get that they are expencive, but in my opinion it's worth it.
I mean it's close to real, but not quite. Everything that happens feels like it belongs because there is no such thing as a prop or a special effect (well kinda but you know what I mean). You can't sit there and point out the green screen or wonder how strange it must be to act with something you can't see.

I don't know, it just feels better with full CGI for me at least. Maybe it's because I am used to them using it in their games, and suddenly seeing a real actor trying to mimmic that would just look like cosplay.
We'll see once it's done, whenever that is.

Ah I was more referring to where you said " I dunno why people don't make them more often" :) Not sure if you meant Blizzard or just in general, was assuming in general. But then I don't think Blizzard could afford the manpower to make a movie, they've got games to do and people give them enough flak for the tiniest of things ><

Halyah:

elvor0:

Halyah:

Not sure why you brought up pandaland specifically, but I've generally found most silly stuff done by Blizzard to be pretty badly done. Maybe this is culture clash or maybe they're just that crappy at it. I don't know.

Yeah Blizzard has taught me that lesson quite well. Especially when their level of quality can be outdone by fanfic writers of all things.

Well Pandaria is usually the thing people complain about when they complain about things being silly, despite them really...really not being so(Seriously, gnomes, Space Goats and Tauren are fine, but Pandas are silly? C'mon, The Shadow Pan are grumpier than Batman).

But now I see where you're coming from, you don't like the stuff that is actually /meant/ to be silly which is just like...totally your opinion man, which I respect, it's a fair enough position to have, I would say however, lighten up a little as it's only a little fun, not everything needs to be serious.

I will however agree as a one that comes straight to mind, the Harrison Jones quest chain in Uldum. Yeah Harrison Jones is funny as an npc for a smile inducing reference, but playing through the entirety of Raiders of the Lost Ark was waaaay to far, I did really enjoy, but they could've kept it to one or two quests, not stretched it over the entire zone.

For your point about writing though, yeah okay, some of the dialogue is a bit wooden and there's some inconsistancies and anomolies, but then for something that grown from Warcraft 1, a game made up of bits of furious scribblings on the toilet, warhammer lore, and whatever Metzen and Samwize thought up while they were stoned, those things are to be expected. Comics made that transition too. I'm not saying the writing is top notch, because it certainly isn't, but it's certainly better than a lot of games, and they have made (at least to me) a highly engaing universe, where I can spend hours reading the wiki, short stories and digging for lore, I'd say the sheer amount of lore could've even eclipsed Tolkein at this point.

I have faith that this movie will be great with so many good people at the helm.

Also for those uninformed this movie will take place during the First War (Warcraft 1) so expect to see: Anduin Lothar, Medivh (opening Dark Portal), Gul'dan, Garona, Orgrim Doomhammer, Blackhand, Durotan to name a few.

I really hope that this movie is successful so they can make the second movie about the second war (which is way better from a "war" standpoint..battle at Blackrock, Turalyon&Alleria etc).

There are so many arcs that they can make movies out I'm just getting giddy thinking about the possibilities.

Halyah:
snip

Med'an is essentially retconned. They have no plans to ever put him into the game as far as we are aware, probably because he's the biggest Mary Sue that has ever existed (and I won't be blaming Metzen for that, the writing of that comic went completely batshit half-way through). That's the problem of having outsourced novels and works that use your lore, you're bound to have stuff that just isn't that good. (Don't forget Cycles of Hatred is still a book, my god.)

Until they use Med'an, I'm mostly fine with what's happening. I'm also quite happy with the roster they've pulled up for WoD so far, having played some of the beta. Khadgar is awesome.

Either way, we'll see where it all goes.

elvor0:

Well Pandaria is usually the thing people complain about when they complain about things being silly, despite them really...really not being so(Seriously, gnomes, Space Goats and Tauren are fine, but Pandas are silly? C'mon, The Shadow Pan are grumpier than Batman).

But now I see where you're coming from, you don't like the stuff that is actually /meant/ to be silly which is just like...totally your opinion man, which I respect, it's a fair enough position to have, I would say however, lighten up a little as it's only a little fun, not everything needs to be serious.

I will however agree as a one that comes straight to mind, the Harrison Jones quest chain in Uldum. Yeah Harrison Jones is funny as an npc for a smile inducing reference, but playing through the entirety of Raiders of the Lost Ark was waaaay to far, I did really enjoy, but they could've kept it to one or two quests, not stretched it over the entire zone.

For your point about writing though, yeah okay, some of the dialogue is a bit wooden and there's some inconsistancies and anomolies, but then for something that grown from Warcraft 1, a game made up of bits of furious scribblings on the toilet, warhammer lore, and whatever Metzen and Samwize thought up while they were stoned, those things are to be expected. Comics made that transition too. I'm not saying the writing is top notch, because it certainly isn't, but it's certainly better than a lot of games, and they have made (at least to me) a highly engaing universe, where I can spend hours reading the wiki, short stories and digging for lore, I'd say the sheer amount of lore could've even eclipsed Tolkein at this point.

Warcraft was decent about up to TBC. Thats when things started to slip really badly with most of the really bad stuff coming from Knaak. The ending was utter trash and then we moved on to wrath which was a slight upgrade, but Arthas' showing up and not amounting to much made him look weak. The excuse that he was luring everyone into a trap at Icecrown felt weak and hollow. The ending there is probably one of the worst I've seen in the entire series(barring exceptionally horrid novels that I haven't read which may or may not have worse endings). Then cataclysm happened and everything just went straight off the deep end with stuff like the forsaken just basically dropping all pretense about trying to redeem themselves. Instead they went straight into muahahaha territory and worse. Thats just the tip of the iceberg. Their horde bias didn't make things much better either. I used to play on the horde side until that bias made me too sick in the stomach to stand where they were steering them. So yeah them having been stoned and tossing darts at random words would definitely explain pretty much everything thats been going on since vanilla WoW.

That said I'm no fan of the panda, but thats because I felt they took away time from something that was actually cool and awesome like the Naga. I'm still surprised they didn't turn the entirety of MoP into a big one note joke like they do with everything involving gnomes, goblins and sometimes trolls.

Ferisar:

Med'an is essentially retconned. They have no plans to ever put him into the game as far as we are aware, probably because he's the biggest Mary Sue that has ever existed (and I won't be blaming Metzen for that, the writing of that comic went completely batshit half-way through). That's the problem of having outsourced novels and works that use your lore, you're bound to have stuff that just isn't that good. (Don't forget Cycles of Hatred is still a book, my god.)

Until they use Med'an, I'm mostly fine with what's happening. I'm also quite happy with the roster they've pulled up for WoD so far, having played some of the beta. Khadgar is awesome.

Either way, we'll see where it all goes.

Med'an was just the first example that came to mind to be honest. Thrall, Malfurion and Garrosh are just a few steps below him due to author favoritism. As for the novels... I don't read them due to their quality being on par with toilet paper. Saves me a lot of money. No comment on WoD as I haven't played the beta, but them killing off Maraad and them apparently turning Khadgar neutral(an alliance hero going neutral? perish the thought!) ain't doing much to make me think it'll have high quality. On the bright side they kill off a Velen and thats at least worth something. Shame they don't kill off main universe Velen too.

If people actually still expect Warcraft lore to be anything besides Rule of Cool, I think you might be in for a disappointment.
I like Warcraft's lore, or hell, even Blizzard's lore in any of it's games, because it doesn't take it's self too seriously.
They know the lore is there to flesh out the game, not the other way around. It's suppose to be hammy, it's suppose to be cliché and it's suppose to be paper thin.

One of the best things I remember was a reply from a Blue Poster (someone that works for Blizzard) on a Lore question.
I don't recall the details, but I remember that the question was something very specific about how fire magic magic worked underwater or whatnot.
And the Blue Poster replied with something along the lines of "You sometimes receive dragon mounts in your mail, yet you're pissed off as to why mages can cast fireball underwater?"

Warcraft lore is to me like Dragonball Z, it's never going to win any awards, it has moments that make you go "...uughh.."
But then there are also moments that make you go "FUCK YEAH, that's awesome!" "Did he just punch a dragon!" "I'm using a grapple to jump from dragon to dragon punching off the riders!" "FOR THE HORDE!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here