Epic Posts First Video of Unreal Tournament Team Deathmatch Gameplay

Epic Posts First Video of Unreal Tournament Team Deathmatch Gameplay

New developer footage shows rough playtest matches at the Epic offices.

There's a new video up on the official Unreal Tournament YouTube page today, as development on Epic's Next Big Thing rolls along.

The video gives us our first real glimpse of updated Deathmatch/TDM action, with playtest footage starting at the 1:10 mark. The new Unreal Tournament is immediately recognizable, thanks to appearances by the Shock Rifle, Shield Belt, and Bio Rifle.

There's still plenty of work to be done, as evidenced by the texture-free walls, floors, and ceilings, but the core gameplay, and movement mechanics seem to be in place.

Near-Ultra Kills and Shock Rifle badassery aside, the video also gives some insight into level design, and weapon mechanics. While the Shock Rifle seems to be in good standing order, the Sniper Rifle is only "finally somewhat usable," according to Gameplay Programmer Joe Wilcox.

Between the YouTube channel, Twitch streams, and UT blog, Epic Games' development of Unreal Tournament has been relatively open to the public, which means more videos, artwork, and commentary should be appearing on a regular basis.

It already looks better than a lot of Steam Greenlight games. I'm excited to see that it's really coming together.

...And was that the Bio Rifle? SWEET!

I want points for recognizing Deck 16! Man, I miss the old game - hope the new one has all the classic UT stuff plus the crazy-ass vehicles from UT3.

I was watching their Youtube videos giving feedback to community artists... it's pretty cool!

Eh, looks like a remix of Unreal Tournament 3. Even has the same models and UI.

Dead Century:

...both things that a) can and will be modded by the UT community, and b) might only be placeholders while UI and character artists work on new content.

-Devin Connors

Dead Century:

Those are just placeholders, it's still in pre-alpha. I think it's been in development only for about 1 or 2 months now.

Scypemonk:

Dead Century:

Those are just placeholders, it's still in pre-alpha. I think it's been in development only for about 1 or 2 months now.

Ah, missed that bit. Makes sense. Well, I hope it has a LAN mode. I miss LAN parties.

It look like it's still a work in progress, nothing wrong with that (I liking what I seen so far) but it look like it gonna be ages for it to come out.

Please please please have Assault mode in the game again. That game mode is what made online so endlessly fun, it was so mod-friendly. I miss all the crazy scorpion-coaster type maps of UT2k4.

Glad to see it! The last build I got from github didn't compile for some reason and I was too lazy to figure out what was wrong.

from what i can see the movement, speed and feel seem much like i remember classic UT.
be interesting to see how this is received in todays market.

Game playing public, I haven't asked you much but I ask you this:

BUY! THIS! GAME!

Seriously, don't ruin this for me dammit, I wanna rocket jump again, I wanna shoot shock balls into massive plasma bursts but most of all... I wanna play an FPS where levelling up doesn't matter and map knowledge is key. D:

Nice. Good call by that chap to include assists.

If this game includes vehicles and assault mode then consider me coloured all shades of interested.

Hopefully they don't use the heavier physics from UT3. That's what ended up killing that game for me.

you gotta hand it to epic. they know how to make a crazy fun multiplayer FPS.
sniper rifle is useful, the bio rifle looks super awesome and the game is still pre-alpha. this is awesome news. I WANT!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here