Facebook Will Require Standalone Messenger App for Mobile Users

Facebook Will Require Standalone Messenger App for Mobile Users

Facebook Messenger Android 310x

Using Facebook on a mobile device? Messaging will soon be stripped out of the app, will only be available in separate Messenger program.

If you're using the Facebook app on your iOS or Android device, you won't be able to chat/message friends within the application for much longer.

Soon, Facebook will require all of its mobile users who are interested in messaging to install Facebook Messenger (iOS, Android links), a standalone client that handles all messaging communication externally.

I've been using the Messenger app since it launched on Android, but those who have resisted (or were simply indifferent) will now have three choices: Install the app, don't message friends from your phone, or keep the web version of Facebook bookmarked in Chrome or Safari.

The new policy seems to be rolling out in Europe first, with the US to follow in the coming weeks.

So why the strip-out from Facebook? "...we found that having it as a second-class thing inside the Facebook app makes it so there's more friction to replying to messages," said CEO Mark Zuckerberg to TechCrunch, "so we would rather have people be using a more focused experience for that."

Does this move grind your proverbial gears? Or are you already using the Messenger app? Let us know in the comments.

Source: TechCrunch

I use the messenger app already. It's smooth and pretty user-friendly. So I'm not bothered by this, it makes sense to not spend resources making sure the main Facebook app can check messages if the messenger app can do it better.

It grinds my gears because the Messenger App is utter dogshit. Sometimes it won't tell you that you've received messages, the chatheads constantly get in your way of performing other tasks on your device...it doesn't seem well designed to me at all.

The only plus I can think of is that it runs alongside apps like YouTube, so you don't have to stop messaging friends to do other things. It's still difficult though, as mentioned before.

I don't have anything to say about the Facebook App, since my Facebook mostly exists because I can't be bothered to figure out how to delete it.

But, I have consistently been annoyed with Apps in general. Most of the time it's far more convenient and usable to just use the webpage - often requesting "desktop version" because people don't seem to know how to make mobile versions worth a damn.

I never got around to downloading the app since I don't do anything with Facebook on my phone beyond checking if I have notifications or messages. I don't mind the change I guess if it works well. The thing is if I need to send a short message to someone from my phone I just text them and if I need to send a big message to someone I use Facebook on my computer where I can actually type.

Already uninstalled the main Facebook app when it wanted access to my text messages, have no intention of installing another crappy app to keep in contact with the one person who still uses Facebook's messenger system. Everybody else has either dumped it for something else or I don't want to chat with them anyway.

So.. ...I guess I just don't care either way - it doesn't affect me in the slightest anymore. Yay!

The Facebook app forced me to download the messenger app to message anyone weeks ago :(
And I don't mean just "do you want to download the app to view your messages?". It flat out refused to show them and said if I didn't downloaded the app, I could view them via my phone's browser.

I'm suprised it's only now being mentioned. I thought this was already a thing O_o

Not really a big deal, I've been using messenger since launch it's fine. Because of the way the apps function and using memory on your phone it's more efficient. Anyone who uses fb messaging consistently has been using it exclusively for a long time.

StarStruckStrumpets:
It grinds my gears because the Messenger App is utter dogshit. Sometimes it won't tell you that you've received messages, the chatheads constantly get in your way of performing other tasks on your device...it doesn't seem well designed to me at all.

The only plus I can think of is that it runs alongside apps like YouTube, so you don't have to stop messaging friends to do other things. It's still difficult though, as mentioned before.

I remember it having a lot of problems when it was released and was generally miserable to use but if you're using the latest version of android and the latest app revision it has 0 problems.

Facebook has been trying to make me download this for months now. (Which begs the question of why this is news.)

Still haven't.

There's literally no reason for Facebook to consist of more than one app. None.

They pushed this through ages ago, though I still think it's existence is pointless (but then, I rarely to never use the messaging system on Facebook)

God damn it, Facebook, I need you for work and social life, how can you become suckier with every new change?

From my point of view, you need to app to chat anyway. I go into the facebook app, click on messages, click on a person and the chat app opens up.

I like it, it's functional and easy to use ... what more do I need?

Vie:
Already uninstalled the main Facebook app when it wanted access to my text messages

I'm surprised there's not more mention of this. FB deliberately removing browser functionally so we will install an app that spies on texts and phone calls instead and so far the comments have been 'I use the app and its functional/poorly functional'. Hmm.

Instead of having two separate apps, why not just make chatting in the Facebook app not terrible? Just a thought......

I only have this app and not the facebook one itself, I only have facebook to chat fo people, not to tell EVERY1 that I ate a donut roflmao or say you know what really pisses me off? Then NEVER expand on it. Soooooo yeah.

Ironically, I log into this using facebook because I couldn't be bothered to make an account :/

So why the strip-out from Facebook? "...we found that having it as a second-class thing inside the Facebook app makes it so there's more friction to replying to messages," said CEO Mark Zuckerberg to TechCrunch, "so we would rather have people be using a more focused experience for that."

Yeah, I call bullshit. More likely: Facebook just bought Whatsapp, which is fairly popular with older people who don't use Facebook. This is a precursor to migrating everyone on Whatsapp to Facebook Messaging, getting all their contact details and spamming a whole new group of people to join the borg.

been using it for a long time as i had to, or use the mobile site on my phone. dont really like it, seems a unnecessary edition

This'll basically be me removing the Facebook app and just relying on the mobile site, yeah. I've no interest in another Facebook app on my phone.

This grinds my gears since the FB app itself is so horribly bad, unoptimized and riddled with unwanted ads on my wall.
Rather than fixing the real issues such as severe slowdowns; even though I am using one of the fastest phones on the God damned market hooked wirelessly to a 250 Mbit Internet: the FB app loads posts and images super slow.

The state of which the FB app has been in for years is inexcusable for what the FB net worth really is. It's like they can't develop a competent mobile platform and that they just don't care. Removing a feature will not fix the issues at hand. Rather than pulling stuff out - fix already what has been broken for *years*.

VondeVon:

Vie:
Already uninstalled the main Facebook app when it wanted access to my text messages

I'm surprised there's not more mention of this. FB deliberately removing browser functionally so we will install an app that spies on texts and phone calls instead and so far the comments have been 'I use the app and its functional/poorly functional'. Hmm.

It's funny, I disabled its ability to update the moment it wanted that and has stayed on a single version pre-text message spying and has been fine. Am I gonna be forced into this myself if such is the case?

Elvis Starburst:

VondeVon:

Vie:

It's funny, I disabled its ability to update the moment it wanted that and has stayed on a single version pre-text message spying and has been fine. Am I gonna be forced into this myself if such is the case?

Based on their history, I'd speculate that eventually it will require a mandatory update to continue functioning.

Am I missing something? I've been using the messenger app for ages because I thought it was mandatory. Whenever I open a message on the Facebook app, it sends me straight to the Messenger. It works...feh, just about as well as the normal Facebook app does.

I didn't use FaceBook messaging that often, but now I'll probably use it less. I'm still using an old version of the Book since they keep trying to turn the app into a spying device.

I use the site only through the mobile browser anyway and sparingly at best. What's more, it only has Wifi capability anyway so text or call is the go to means to get a hold of me on the go as it is. I can usually wait until I'm at a school/work/home computer before I check the book and sometimes I forget to do that altogether.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)