The Real Story Behind That Leaked Deadpool Footage - Update 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Real Story Behind That Leaked Deadpool Footage - Update 2

Deadpool leaked footage

Blur's proof of concept footage, starring Ryan Reynolds, was leaked by hackers, NOT the studios.

Update 2: Fox did not respond to our request for comment, however their lawyers did respond to us posting the video. We have now taken it off the articles.

Update: Tim Miller, co-founder of Blur and director on Deadpool responded to us via email, stating that he's unable to discuss the issue.

Original Story: One of the biggest bits of news that's hit comic book fans in the immediate post Comic-Con rush had nothing to do with anything actually shown in the infamous Hall H, or anywhere on the show floor for that matter. It was two minutes of the most awesome shaky phone camera videos ever leaked to 'net. The video showed what claimed to be early CGI test footage of Fox's long-delayed feature film starring Marvel's Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool, featuring voiceover work by Ryan Reynolds. As fast as the footage was being posted, it was being removed by the powers that be at Fox.

Then, on Tuesday, a new higher definition version of the clip started making the rounds. The video opens with Deadpool rocking to the beats of Gwen Stefani and breaking the fourth wall, before diving from an overpass into a moving SUV via the sunroof. What followed was one of the coolest close combat fights ever, filled with Deadpool's (and Reynolds') signature smart ass personality. It was a sight to behold ... if you could find it.

The footage actually comes from a proof of concept package put together three years ago by Blur Studio, the folks behind many of the best video game cinematics in the industry. Tim Miller, co-founder of Blur, had just been tapped to direct the Deadpool feature and tasked Blur with putting together an eight minute video showcasing the potential of the movie. As an added bonus, Miller brought Reynolds into Blur Studio to voice the character. The package was well-received by Fox execs, but the film has since drifted off the radar, despite all parties involved claiming it had not been axed and was still in development limbo.

So where did this three year old, two-minute snippet of test footage come from all of a sudden? Due to the coincidental post Comic-Con timing of the leak, many believed that Fox had secretly released the footage to help gauge current interest in a Deadpool solo flick. Then, once the hi-res version made its way online, it was being reported that, due to popularity, Fox and/or Blur had decided to officially release the clip. Deadpool creator, Rob Liefeld, talked about the footage on Twitter:

Even employees at Blur took to social media to show off the video links and take pride in the fact that the work they had done was finally seeing the light of day. Then, just as quickly as the clip started to disappear, so too did the posts associated with Blur employees. It would seem that the official release of that Deadpool footage wasn't so "official" after all.

According to sources, the footage had actually been obtained and released not by Fox or Blur, but by hackers who managed to grab the clip and send it into the wild. After seeing the posts from Blur employees making the rounds, Miller sent a notice to all personnel early Wednesday asking them to remove the posts and to "cease and desist" discussing the clip any further at this time despite the proverbial cat already being out of the bag. We've reached out to both Blur and Fox for comment about the footage and the hack, and will update this story with any response.

It shouldn't be too hard for Blur employees to keep quiet. The studio is hard at work on numerous other projects, including working with Microsoft and 343 Studios on new, remastered cinematics for the Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 portions of the upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection for Xbox One, due out on November 11th.

As far as Deadpool goes, if you haven't already seen the leaked clip or just want to see it again, check it out for yourself below (for at least as long as it's available), and let us know what you think.

I'm so excited this clip is being hosted by The Escapist despite this odd & disturbing history!

Wait. How long until Fox sends an order to this website to stop showing it?

So, Fox let Fantastic Four 1 and 2 and also X-Men 3 and Wolverine happen, but they all but officially axed this.

Fox, why are you still alive?

Yeah, that clip did feel like it was too good to be a part of an actual movie... :(

"Leaked by hackers" yeah right. This is the same type of "leak" of the trailer of Superman vs Batman trailer just to get DC fans some hope and hype everyone up because they are losing the war against Marvel.

Stuff don't leak unless the big heads at these companies/studios let them happen.

This Deadpool trailer was just a "let's test the waters" on a new Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds to see how fans would react.

RealRT:
So, Fox let Fantastic Four 1 and 2 and also X-Men 3 and Wolverine happen, but they all but officially axed this.

Rupert Murdoch.

Pretty much explains everything.

Dear Fox: The entire internet is drooling over this video. It ain't rocket science: make it.

So, who's Tom? At the end, he says "Oh, hi Tom!" I think...?

I hope it isn't too early but I am sending this from the mcdonalds across from the theater.. which is where my tent is set up.. they don't let me use THEIR PRECIOUS wifi so I have to cross a busy street to get on the internet from mcdonalds.. I hope nobody moves my tent while I'm.. GOT TO RUN!!

DarkhoIlow:

This Deadpool trailer was just a "let's test the waters" on a new Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds to see how fans would react.

This has been my reaction to the whole thing. Making it "leaked" means that if it goes poorly, they can say it was a breach and shut it down. It is is well-received, they know that they have a viable market on their hands. The speed at which these kinds of things move make it an amazing tool in gauging customer reception. On the other hand, its Fox, so I'm not entirely sure they are that smart.

Hey. Hey Blur. We're pals right? Got a question for you. This Deadpool thing is neat right? Yah, I thought so too. Where's my The Goon movie? You've been sitting on that trailer a while, and Rat Queens an Chew are getting cartoons and movies. Why can't you deliver on the Goon? I want that to happen. Very VERY much. Deadpool? Not as much.

http://vz3.blur.com/work/detail/the-goon

CelestDaer:

Since the footage is apparently from the original proof of concept video put together by Tim Miller and Blur three years ago, the best guess for the "Hi Tom!" identity would be Tom Rothman, who was CEO of Fox Film Entertainment at the time.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Rupert Murdoch.

Pretty much explains everything.

Baraka DeadPool
Barack Democratic Party

My conspiracy theory now proves Rupert Murdoch intentionally hidden this insult in a crap movie!

Dang.... No one believes this?

Rupert Murdoch still stinks.... IMO

WldCard:

CelestDaer:

Since the footage is apparently from the original proof of concept video put together by Tim Miller and Blur three years ago, the best guess for the "Hi Tom!" identity would be Tom Rothman, who was CEO of Fox Film Entertainment at the time.

I wanted to think he was saying Hi to Tom Hanks....

well Fox, ya better start rethinking this because reception has actually been quite positive for it. Seriously, if Kick-Ass can work on a $28 million budget it shouldn't be hard to do an R-rated Deadpool.

as far as i can work out this was effectively "the biggest thing to come out of comic con 2014"

surely they must have noticed that...

I cant say im surprised it was 100% animated.

Primarily because i couldnt help noticing that the 4 dudes in the car looked far too similar.

Anyway given the overwhelmingly positive reception of the clip, i also would not be surprised that Fox is going to give the DP movie the greenlight.

If the leak was indeed perpetrated by hackers, I would hope that Fox would still monitor the excitement garnered by the clip and that someone (I'm sure they exist) uses that to argue for a big-budget R-rated picture. On that note - did you notice that the video is marked approved for all audiences?

No, I'm not implying that this is ACTUALLY what happened, but am I the only one who could imagine the leak coming from Rob Liefeld? He's definitely relishing in the aftermath of it on Twitter.

Why was this getting passed on? They wouldn't even do it as live action just CG the entire thing and release it if that'll be cheaper. If they had gotten this out before Guardians of the Galaxy this would have all the news. But Fox has nothing and Marvel has the enthusiasm of the public.

As far as the actual clip goes...

Hm, I dunno, he looks great, but how well-written Deadpool is (to me) is determined by how it handles the more serious and dark aspects of the character.

(And I'm not talking about the violence and him killing people.)

Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool is one of my favourite things in American superhero comics, and that was because of how it balanced humor and actual tragedy, and the issues it tackled, such as what being a hero means, what 'doing the right thing' actually is, etc.

Or Deadpool's relationships with his supporting cast, him basically ruining Weasel's and Blind Al's lives, but there being actual attachment there as well. Not that those relationships weren't also very twisted.

Which reminds me, I don't wanna hear anything about a Deadpool movie that doesn't have Weasel and Blind Al.

CelestDaer:

Tom from MySpace.

RealRT:

wickedness is hard to kill. (I'd say evil but that's extreme)

DarkhoIlow:
"Leaked by hackers" yeah right. This is the same type of "leak" of the trailer of Superman vs Batman trailer just to get DC fans some hope and hype everyone up because they are losing the war against Marvel.

Stuff don't leak unless the big heads at these companies/studios let them happen.

Um... That Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Frank Miller's Anus was put together by WB so they would have something to show at SDCC. There's nothing leaked about it.

However, the Deadpool footage is almost certainly a leak. FOX had no theatrical presence this year at SDCC and the test was done three years ago.

Well, my initial thoughts on the subject are that it was an initial leak, and then Fox found out they can't make it happen, so want to pull it. Of course then again trying to pull something off the internet (which they know is impossible) just ensures that more people will want to see it as a result, which could be the idea too.

At any rate if Blur is busy, and Ryan Reynolds has other commitments (unknown), it makes a degree of sense that they might not have wanted this out there because after all, without the same team that made the test footage, they can't produce a Deadpool movie like that one.

It also occurs to me that the popularity of the Deadpool character means that they might have gotten blocked by Marvel pretty quickly. If they wanted to do the movie as an animated feature, like that trailer, their contract for X-men affiliated characters might not apply to works of animation. I'm looking towards how Marvel Animation Studios seems to be able to do it's own thing with direct to DVD movies and such. Doing the things they want Deadpool to do with enough live action to avoid it being an animated movie could be tricky if I'm not wrong, and it would probably expand the budget greatly. While it's doable of course, imagine what it would take to do that short trailer with all real people and stuntmen. That entire animated feature probably cost less than leveling that car, and producing a fake version of it to show seperatly so they could show an actor tumbling in the still shot holding up the drawing alone would. That would be a pretty big "money" scene I'd imagine, and you'd expect a lot of that kind of thing.

Seriously? Whoever is in charge of the Facebook comments section can go to hell. I swear, if it's not anything but glowing praise over the article or it's contents, it immediately gets deleted.

OT: Looks good. Hope they do something with the IP.

Who cares about what Liefeld has to say on the subject? He did nothing but create the design of the character while other, more talent writers and artists gave him his personality that everyone knows and loves.

Therumancer:
Well, my initial thoughts on the subject are that it was an initial leak, and then Fox found out they can't make it happen, so want to pull it. Of course then again trying to pull something off the internet (which they know is impossible) just ensures that more people will want to see it as a result, which could be the idea too.

At any rate if Blur is busy, and Ryan Reynolds has other commitments (unknown), it makes a degree of sense that they might not have wanted this out there because after all, without the same team that made the test footage, they can't produce a Deadpool movie like that one.

It also occurs to me that the popularity of the Deadpool character means that they might have gotten blocked by Marvel pretty quickly. If they wanted to do the movie as an animated feature, like that trailer, their contract for X-men affiliated characters might not apply to works of animation. I'm looking towards how Marvel Animation Studios seems to be able to do it's own thing with direct to DVD movies and such. Doing the things they want Deadpool to do with enough live action to avoid it being an animated movie could be tricky if I'm not wrong, and it would probably expand the budget greatly. While it's doable of course, imagine what it would take to do that short trailer with all real people and stuntmen. That entire animated feature probably cost less than leveling that car, and producing a fake version of it to show seperatly so they could show an actor tumbling in the still shot holding up the drawing alone would. That would be a pretty big "money" scene I'd imagine, and you'd expect a lot of that kind of thing.

There's a thing in production design called an animatic. Essentially, it's just an animated storyboard. Most are typically light on animation, being nothing more than slide shows to help with timing and pace and to get a feel for how shots will transition from one to the next. Some are more animated, with actual limb articulation and some mouth movement. Others will have music and or voice work accompanying them (usually recordings from a table read of the script). At the end of the day, an animatic is a proof of concept.

Which is what this is. The fact that it is fully animated doesn't prove that the film would be an entirely animated CGI film. While true, an animated film would probably not be covered by Fox's contract, there's no way they would have made an all-CGI film. All this was was a concept video to show Fox what Deadpool in action would look like, which is why it was animated.

It's kind of silly to think that because of what they want Deadpool to do, they would have to venture into fully animated territory. That didn't stop Spider-Man or Hulk from being live action.

Lieju:
As far as the actual clip goes...

Hm, I dunno, he looks great, but how well-written Deadpool is (to me) is determined by how it handles the more serious and dark aspects of the character.

(And I'm not talking about the violence and him killing people.)

Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool is one of my favourite things in American superhero comics, and that was because of how it balanced humor and actual tragedy, and the issues it tackled, such as what being a hero means, what 'doing the right thing' actually is, etc.

Or Deadpool's relationships with his supporting cast, him basically ruining Weasel's and Blind Al's lives, but there being actual attachment there as well. Not that those relationships weren't also very twisted.

Which reminds me, I don't wanna hear anything about a Deadpool movie that doesn't have Weasel and Blind Al.

My favorites of those being Dare Devil / Deadpool 97 followed by Love Hurts Blood Spurts.

Also I'd like to see the guys from Hell House at least have cameos!

Looks like a beautiful complete trailer to me now finish the damn movie. I want it. nao.

spoonybard.hahs:

DarkhoIlow:

Um... That Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Frank Miller's Anus was put together by WB so they would have something to show at SDCC. There's nothing leaked about it.

However, the Deadpool footage is almost certainly a leak. FOX had no theatrical presence this year at SDCC and the test was done three years ago.

I meant the leaked footage of the SvB trailer in my comment.

Not everyone lives in US or has attended SDCC to see that trailer. And we wouldn't of have seen it if WB wouldn't of "let" someone leak the trailer taken from a smartphone.

RE: Update 2

This is getting stupid. Everyone and their dog have probably seen the video at this point. They could have gotten some decent publicity but instead they just continue looking like idiots.

Yeah I figured it was a proof of concept thing, still FOX are pretty stupid for oh so diligently hunting this video down trying to purge it from the internet. I'm just glad I didn't miss it and had the foresight to download it before it dissapeared, for once.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...

I think the way Fox is handling this is LOADS funnier than the video itself.

Are they so ignorant as to never heard of the streisand effect?

Well i'm glad I saw the video before it got pulled. Fox should just give it up at this point.

DarkhoIlow:

spoonybard.hahs:

DarkhoIlow:

I meant the leaked footage of the SvB trailer in my comment.

Not everyone lives in US or has attended SDCC to see that trailer. And we wouldn't of have seen it if WB wouldn't of "let" someone leak the trailer taken from a smartphone.

Yes, because five people on a panel can stop 300 plus from using their smart phones. In a darkened room no less.

I'm no expert, but as far as I understand the litigious nature of corporations, Fox is legally bound to perform due diligence in their efforts to bring down any source of this video, since it uses two musical tracks which they may not have the rights to reproduce and distribute. If they didn't hunt down the copied videos mercilessly, they leave themselves open to a lawsuit from the record labels . . . even if the labels and the film studio exist under the same corporate umbrella.
Not saying that it's not stupid, but that's at least potentially their reason behind their actions.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here