Ice Cream That Changes Color as You Lick It? Yes, Please

Ice Cream That Changes Color as You Lick It? Yes, Please

Color Changing Ice Cream

Tired of boring, statically colored ice cream? Well, look no further.

Manuel Linares, a Spanish physicist-turned-cook, has successfully created a new kind of ice cream that changes its color while you lick it. Naming it "Xamaleon" (which means "chameleon"), he also assures that the color change is perpetrated by all natural ingredients and not by chemical additives.

Linares decided to tinker with the frozen treat while attending a course on ice cream making. When he shared his idea of a color-changing ice cream, the instructor scoffed at him. Linares responded by successfully creating an ice cream that switches from blue to magenta as it melts- bringing new meaning to the phrase "eating crow".

"As a physicist I know that there are various possibilities that might work and I was delighted when I managed to crack it and create an ice cream that changes color," he said. As of now, Linares has refused to release the full contents of the recipe. However, he has divulged some of the ice cream's ingredients, such as strawberries, banana, pistachio, vanilla, caramel, cocoa and almonds. The taste of the ice cream has been described by those who have eaten it as something resembling tutti-frutti.

The secret behind Xamaleon's color-changing ability will also remain a mystery- at least until Linares manages to secure a patent. The only fact he's chosen to share is that he uses a "love elixir" that is sprayed on the ice cream after it is made. Temperature change affects acids in the dairy product and stimulates a reaction that causes a change in shade.

Xamaleon has exploded at Linares' ice cream business in Spain. He has plans to eventually expand his business across the ocean, as well as create a flavor that changes color when exposed to ultraviolet light. "I am a huge fan of the British ice cream genius Charlie Francis- the creator of a fluorescent ice and founder of the company Lick Me Delicious," Linares said. "I wanted to create an ice cream that changed color to try and do something new as well."

Does the thought of color-changing ice cream sound delicious to you? Let us know in the comments!

Source: Tech Times

The only fact he's chosen to share is that he uses a "love elixir" that is sprayed on the ice cream after it is made.

It occurs to me that there may have been better ways to phrase that...

Anyways... I'm a fan of food that doesn't change colour, I'll stick with that.

You're turning magenta Magenta!

Seriously though, I love stuff like this, SCIENCE!

Blackwell Stith:
Manuel Linares, a Spanish physicist-turned-cook, has successfully created a new kind of ice cream that changes its color while you lick it. Naming it "Xamaleon" (which means "chameleon"), he also assures that the color change is perpetrated by all natural ingredients and not by chemical additives.

"Chemical additives", oh hey chemphobia, fancy seeing you in Spain.

I'm pretty sure there's some fancy chemistry behind that color change, but since advertising has conditioned people to think that anything 'chemical' is automatically bad (even though so-called natural ingredients have no assurance of being safer) that it's even less likely that we'll learn how this works.

He sprays it with a love elixir?! Well don't take that out of context!

And what a great idea. I've always said chocolate is my favorite flavor, but you know what would make it perfect? If it slowly turned red, making it look like I'm rotting meat. Now THAT is ice cream!

Let's just hope that when we eat it we don't turn green.

There's something rather poetic about creating a product that is silly and pointless out of spite.

Love the thumbnail on the front page, by the way.

Color changing ice cream? What's next, sequins milkshakes? Bow tie french fries?

We used to have an ice cream with a similar flavor profile called Blue Moon when I worked at an ice cream shop. The owner would never let me see what the ingredients were when he was making it. It looks like this scientist may have made blue moon and found how to change its colour. Neat!

No offence but I'm not too impressed per say, I mean the colour don't dramatically changed in the video in the link (the colour look different as you normally licked it).

I'm sure I'd try it once just to say I had but unless it was way more delicious than any other ice cream in the area, I highly doubt I'd ever buy it frequently simply because it changes colors as I eat it.

Mad Sun:
Color changing ice cream? What's next, sequins milkshakes? Bow tie french fries?

That episode of Spongebob was funny.

OT: What flavor is it? I assume it's only 1 flavor, even if it changes colors, but what flavor is it? I only like Vanilla Ice Cream, so if this isn't Vanilla I wouldn't eat it.

Still neat, but I'll pass.

The only fact he's chosen to share is that he uses a "love elixir" that is sprayed on the ice cream after it is made.

Yeah, I'm not touching anything involving an unknown "love elixir."

The next step in this new creation's natural progression is marketing it off to the government for military camouflage research!

You keep going on about color changing ice cream, but I don't see any color changing ice cream!
Did I mention I'm colorblind?
I'm not seeing a difference.

Alcom1:
You keep going on about color changing ice cream, but I don't see any color changing ice cream!

I'm no expert on colour blindness, but shouldn't you still be seeing the difference as it gets lighter/darker?

Blackwell Stith:

all natural
"love elixir"

I'm going to have to say no.

Unless this guy just told us he stole a fictional character's (Austin Powers) Mojo.... Then I'm going to have to think about it....

Jadak:

Alcom1:

I'm no expert on colour blindness, but shouldn't you still be seeing the difference as it gets lighter/darker?

Yes, but then it's easily mistaken for shading.

I was expecting something more dramatic, like green to red. Going from one shade of purple to a slightly different shade of purple is a bit meh really

Zachary Amaranth:

Yeah, I'm not touching anything involving an unknown "love elixir."

Not even if it comes from something called "Lick Me Delicious"?

Jadak:

Alcom1:

nope, as you can find out for yourself

http://colorfilter.wickline.org/
use red/green

the url it makes is a long one so I can't link the page directly

Magenta?
Ok, I'm from Germany and I'm concerned that our Telecom (telephone/internet/...) will sue him because of the color! Wouldn't be the first time they did that! Last time they won...

That's cool and everything, but I don't know if I would see that as a selling point. I don't judge my food by how it looks, only how it tastes and how it feels in my belly.

Physicist... it's mentioned multiple times in the article, but this would fall more under the area of chemistry. It's not intuitively obvious that a physicist would make something like this.

Big_Boss_Mantis:

Not even if it comes from something called "Lick Me Delicious"?

Not without knowing what's in the mix I'm licking.

Alcom1:

Me too, can't see shit. Even the words "pink" and "blue" (the colours I can usually distinguish) in the beginning look the same. The video's shitty quality doesn't help either.

Call me when they get it to change flavour.

Erm, i'm not paying extra for colorful food. Regular ice cream is good enough for me as long as it's cold and tastes good.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here