iFixit Tears Oculus Rift DK2 Apart, Reveals Samsung Note 3 Display

iFixit Tears Oculus Rift DK2 Apart, Reveals Samsung Note 3 Display

The Oculus DK2 literally has a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 display tucked inside.

iFixit got its hot little hands on the latest version of Oculus VR's development kit.

The Rift DK2 breaks down into seven components, while the positional tracker breaks down into seven components of its own. The kicker? the display used in the DK2 is directly lifted from a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, branding and all.

Oculus, which was cagey about the DK2 screen's origins up through release, has increased the Note 3 display refresh rate, going to 75 Hz from 60 Hz. This ties into the "low persistence" objective, along with a higher-resolution (1920x1080) screen. All of this should keep Oculus wearers from barfing, hopefully.

This is not the first collaboration between Oculus and Samsung; A few months ago, Engadget reported that Oculus was helping Samsung with its VR aspirations. The latter's headset will be Gear/Galaxy-branded hardware, to be used with Galaxy phones and tablets.

I've yet to get my grubby hands on a DK2, but hopefully my pre-order will be fulfilled soon.

Source: iFixit

I supposed this means that everyone who criticized Google's Cardboard project should be eating crow right about now.

Scrythe:
I supposed this means that everyone who criticized Google's Cardboard project should be eating crow right about now.

a modified 75 hertz refresh rate display for each eye coupled with a lot of precision sensorts and input handling from the mainframe versus..... a phone?

Nope, google is not even close.

Personally i hope people DONT try the googles cardboard project. they may think its actual VR and be disapointed in it.

Wow, so it's essentially looking through lenses at a super close phone screen?

Strazdas:

Scrythe:

a modified 75 hertz refresh rate display for each eye coupled with a lot of precision sensorts and input handling from the mainframe versus..... a phone?

Nope, google is not even close.

Personally i hope people DONT try the googles cardboard project. they may think its actual VR and be disapointed in it.

For each eye? The DK2 has only 1 screen.
Showcasing a simple object like a cube in 3D would be pretty much the same on both devices, only difference would be the 60 vs 75hz. Overclocking your phone's screen to 75Hz isn't a good idea though, because of heating issues that are not present in the Rift. That aside, yes there's difference when it comes to graphical processing power and the IR-tracking, but the sole viewing experience shouldn't be that much different.

I'm not sure what this changes or means about anything. This is a high enough quality product at a low price. Did we expect Rift to manufacture displays too?

NLS:
For each eye? The DK2 has only 1 screen.
Showcasing a simple object like a cube in 3D would be pretty much the same on both devices, only difference would be the 60 vs 75hz. Overclocking your phone's screen to 75Hz isn't a good idea though, because of heating issues that are not present in the Rift. That aside, yes there's difference when it comes to graphical processing power and the IR-tracking, but the sole viewing experience shouldn't be that much different.

well the video said so!

yes, shocasing 3D cube would be very similar (not the same, as fraperate persistency would be far worse on a phone). 3D cube floating in front of you is not virtial reality though. its not even close to what we call virtual relaity. and that gap is where phone falls apart as it is physically not able to do it with limited sensor capability it has.

see, that IR-tracking is what MAKES the experience. what you got with the phone is equivalent of 3D movies, not of virtual reality.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 40657)