Will Marvel Studios Next Big Star Be... Squirrel Girl?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Will Marvel Studios Next Big Star Be... Squirrel Girl?

squirrel girl

Marvel has filed a trademark to protect the rights to one of their most unusual heroines

Marvel Studios is having a good weekend, with the once thought "risky" new franchise Guardians of The Galaxy debuting as a monster late-Summer hit. But if reports of a recent legal maneuver mean what some think they do, the studio may well have leaped ahead into full-on "showing off" mode: The studio has reportedly applied for a trademark for a fan-favorite character named Squirrel Girl.

Created by writer Will Murray and Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko in 1992, Squirrel Girl (real name: Doreen Green) is a young mutant gifted with superhuman strength, a bushy prehensile tail and other abilities like those of a common squirrel. She has also made use of retractable knuckle-spikes, a personal gyrocopter ("The Squirrel-A-Gig"), can communicate with actual squirrels and has had at least two of them (Monkey Joe and Tippy-Toe) as companion sidekicks.

Though intended as a one-off comedy-relief character who preposterously defeats Doctor Doom with help from a squirrel army in her first adventure, the character was found to be endearing by enough fans and writers to become a popular supporting player in the Marvel Universe. In recent years, she's frequently been portrayed as a kind of played-straight "Mary-Sue" figure, canonically defeating such Marvel heavy-hitters as Fin-Fang-Foom, MODOK, Baron Mordo, Korvac, Ego the Living Planet and even Thanos himself... off-panel. She has also defeated both Wolverine and Deadpool in hand-to-hand combat.

Trademark filings (Disney/Marvel already owns copyrights on its characters) have typically been undertaken by the publisher when the character in question is intended for use in one of its film or television ventures. Notably, Squirrel Girl's most prominent recent role in the Marvel Universe has been working as a babysitter for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones - both of whom will soon appear as part of Marvel's Netflix-exclusive Defenders multiseries.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Oooh, linked to Powerman.

Can we please have Heroes for hire now? I want me some fist fights.

I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the end of days... I mentioned Squirrel girl and great lakes avengers as a joke when I was watching Guardians and now they are making it a reality? Stranger things I suppose. Heroes for Hire may be covered in those netflix series, but I hope they morph into a full blown Defenders movie. Get some Adam Warlock in there for GotGII, a dash of Doctor Strange, maybe some Hulk cameos, mix in Powerman and Iron Fist. The Avengers are the obvious A team, Defenders would be B team and the Guardians of the Galaxy as a solid C.

I can see them doing this just to get their first solo superheroine film out of the way and test how it goes before they try one of their primary superheroines.

Because it's much better for them is they flop at Squirrel Girl rather than say Black Widow/Ms Marvel/She-Hulk.

There's no way Squirrel Girl is getting her own movie. She'll just defeat all the villains off screen in other people's movies.

The world I always wanted to live in... is nigh.

...oh god, yes Please...

And so the Marvel quest to see what the line is marches on.
After this one makes $500 million, the only thinkg they have left to be more ridiculous is Deadpool Kills Deadpool

Yes please. I know nothing about this character, but she popped up a while ago in another article on this site and I liked her. She sounds like she'd be a fun character to have in the film.

I am now genuinely interested in how a movie featuring Squirrel Girl can turn out. I want to know what sort of villains will pit themselves against Squirrel Girl. I want to know exactly how a story concerning the growth and development of Squirrel Girl will pan out. I want to see her character booming at cosplay conventions.

Want.

What's the appeal of her character? I've never encountered her in any form of media, so what is it that makes her so appealing as to be described as a "fan favourite"? In particular if she could be described as a Mary Sue, a description I only really see used as a negative one of a character.

Bedinsis:
What's the appeal of her character? I've never encountered her in any form of media, so what is it that makes her so appealing as to be described as a "fan favourite"? In particular if she could be described as a Mary Sue, a description I only really see used as a negative one of a character.

She has a similar appeal that Deadpool has: In a universe of broody loners, outcasts, and people with other assorted issues, Squirrel Girl is a shining light of levity.

She's cheerful and perky, although unlike Deadpool, not self-aware. Her powers are absurd and (at least perceived to be) useless. But she gets by with wit and spunk. And the whole thing with her defeating enemies off-screen is a bit of a running gag.

I guess what I'm saying is that people like her because she's a likable character.

Captcha: you don't say!

Yeah, I know that last line was a bit on-the-nose, Captcha. But it's true.

Angelous Wang:
I can see them doing this just to get their first solo superheroine film out of the way and test how it goes before they try one of their primary superheroines.

Because it's much better for them is they flop at Squirrel Girl rather than say Black Widow/Ms Marvel/She-Hulk.

The problem there is that this would likely close the door on future movies for those characters. It would also very likely lead to a loss of faith in Marvel because they can't spin straw into gold every single time.

Of course, if they can make Squirrel Girl work, then they can pretty much do anything they damn well please for the rest of time.

Leemaster777:

She has a similar appeal that Deadpool has: In a universe of broody loners, outcasts, and people with other assorted issues, Squirrel Girl is a shining light of levity.

She's cheerful and perky, although unlike Deadpool, not self-aware. Her powers are absurd and (at least perceived to be) useless. But she gets by with wit and spunk. And the whole thing with her defeating enemies off-screen is a bit of a running gag.

I guess what I'm saying is that people like her because she's a likable character.

And I don't know about her recent adventures, but the first couple were kind of funny simply because she annoyed...well, everybody in the stories. And while I haven't read more recent comics, there's something entertaining about Thanos claiming that she didn't really beat him and Uatu stepping in and saying yes, in fact, she totally did. Which, I'm told, is basically what happened.

Though I'm not sure how much of a Mary Sue she could be. I mean, of all the guys she could crush on, she pursues SPEEDBALL?

(and I say that as one of the three people who actually enjoys Speedball)

And in related news*, a new supporting heroine for the next Dragonball movie has been revealed: Haruhi Suzumiya.

*Not actually news or even a rumor.

Squirrel Girl is really hard to say.

EDIT: The fuck is with her eyes!?

So in Avengers 3:
All the heroes lies beaten at Thanos' feet. Hopelessness permeates the scene as he inserts the final gem into the Infinity Gauntlet, unleashing the unimaginable power he so craves.
Nothing can stop him now as he is no longer a mere being constrained by physical laws, it's all so small to him, to his might. For a moment he even forgets it all, his goals, his needs, it all feels so insignificant. The indomitable will of this titan regains control however and he is ready to set things in motion.
Planets will burn, galaxies will cease to exist, the entire universe will weep blood. Even Death herself will be unable to comprehend the oncoming storm, as the ultimate god, Thanos unlea- and then Squirrel Girl shows up and beats him off screen.

Grimh:
So in Avengers 3:
All the heroes lies beaten at Thanos' feet. Hopelessness permeates the scene as he inserts the final gem into the Infinity Gauntlet, unleashing the unimaginable power he so craves.
Nothing can stop him now as he is no longer a mere being constrained by physical laws, it's all so small to him, to his might. For a moment he even forgets it all, his goals, his needs, it all feels so insignificant. The indomitable will of this titan regains control however and he is ready to set things in motion.
Planets will burn, galaxies will cease to exist, the entire universe will weep blood. Even Death herself will be unable to comprehend the oncoming storm, as the ultimate god, Thanos unlea- and the Squirrel Girl shows up and beats him off screen.

I would watch it, but mostly to see how the mainstream moviegoing audience would handle it.

Is this a fetish thing?

Leemaster777:

Squirrel girl vs Deadpool. Make it happen Marvel...

Houseman:

Leemaster777:

They've fought before She's beat him onscreen a few times

She doesn't beat everyone off screen. Just the silly over the top fights.

People like Wolverine Deadpool, Bi Beast, Doctor Dooom ect. Those she beats fully onscreen.

Houseman:

Leemaster777:

Already did. Squirrel Girl won.

EDIT:

Well, hell yeah! Lets do this!

NO idea what the movie will be like, but I like where this is going! I'm a curious kind of person, so I'll prolly see it just to know! :P

I don't think she's ever really been in media, comics aside, and a few odd cameos.

Winnosh:
-snip-

Leemaster777:

Already did. Squirrel Girl won.

I meant for the MCU.

They can't even make a movie about Black Widow after having her play second banana in three MCU films, they're not gonna do their first "female superhero" movie with a joke character.

Better than Ant Man, and at least it would be a female character. I'm not terribly picky, so long as it isn't Ant man.

Well after the credits for Guardians of the Galaxy faded to black.... I'll believe just about anything.

Pretty sure the trademark was put in place because of her cameo in a recent episode of Ultimate Spiderman.

But can you do a full movie with her? I doubt it. But they could add her as a side character in another movie.

Great! Lakes! Avengers! Assemble!

SacremPyrobolum:
Squirrel Girl is really hard to say.

EDIT: The fuck is with her eyes!?

Theyre closed. She has vertical markings over them

I feel like Squirrel Girl would do really well as a Disney Channel comedy. They way they can still keep her in Universe, keep her joke characterness, without having to transform her into Mainstream Movie material. It can even cross over with Agents of Shield! The team is tracking down a terrible baddie, and just as they kick down the door they find him/her already vanquished with Squirrel Girl heading out the back door.

My prediction on this. It will be the payoff to one of the better "fuck you" gags between studios in film history. I'm thinking Squirrel Girl is now going to show up in the Avengers end credits scenes. Simply to bring truth to the Internet meme that Marvel will put even Squirrel Girl on screen before Warner Brothers manages to pull off Wonder Woman's first movie appearance in almost a century.

Frozengale:
Is this a fetish thing?

For Wolverine at least, I hear he has a crush on her.

YES! I will love to see Doreen Green on the Silver screen I will die happy.

I would be so happy with Squirrel Girl making her Marvel Cinematic Universe appearance, whether if it's a brief end-credits stinger or a Netflix series or possibly an animated (or maybe live action) movie. Yes, she's a joke character but in a field where angst and over-dramatic BS is always on the menu, she's a welcome flavorful entry.

Plus, after the surprise character at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy, it looks like Marvel/Disney might be game for anything.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here