Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Bridesmaids Director "In Talks" For Female-Led Reboot of Ghostbusters

ghostbusters female

I ain't afraid of no... girls?

It made the rounds earlier in the day that Paul Feig, director of the hit comedy Bridesmaids, may have become the surprise frontrunner to direct the endlessly in-production Ghostbusters 3 for Sony. But now Variety and other industry sources are reporting that the project is something else entirely: A reboot of the franchise with a new all-female Ghostbusting team.

While the project is described as "in talks" and no formal deals or official statements are in place, Variety's sources say that it will not be a reworking of the once-planned second sequel but based on a new script written from scratch presumably by Feig himself and his associates. No casting has been named, but you don't have to be Egon Spengler to intuit that the studio would hope for Feig's in-demand frequent collaborator Melissa McCarthy to be part of the deal; given the massive box-office take of their previous team-ups Bridesmaids and The Heat (a third Feig/McCarthy vehicle, the secret-agent spoof Spy, is currently in production.)

Originally released in 1984, Ghostbusters was a high-concept comedy about a team of paranormal-investigators seeking a way to expel supernatural intrusions using science and technology rather than spiritual exorcism. They set up shop in New York City as, essentially, "ghost exterminators," only to find themselves facing the minions of an ancient Babylonian demon-god seeking a return to Earth. Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, the late Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson originally starred.

Source: Variety

A Ghostbusters Extreme movie would have much more meaning than this weird spinoff reboot...

I could see a Tina Fey/ Amy Pohler/ Melissa McCarthy/ Kirsten Wiig Ghostbusters working out pretty well.

An all-female reboot of a beloved 80s franchise one of the creators of which has recently passed away.

Yeah, I don't see anyone getting upset over this at all.

Bonecrusher:
A Ghostbusters Extreme movie would have much more meaning than this weird spinoff reboot...

I second this.

One thing is an all-female Ghostbusters squad, and another thing is using that as an excuse for a reboot of the series.

Heck, they could have pitched that idea as Ghostbusters 3 without needlessly canning the original two first films *facedesks*

AJ_Lethal:
One thing is an all-female Ghostbusters squad, and another thing is using that as an excuse for a reboot of the series.

Heck, they could have pitched that idea as Ghostbusters 3 without needlessly canning the original two first films *facedesks*

Why not just have them branch out? LA has an all girl branch as a freaky coincidence.

Ghosts can't just inhabit NYC

RaikuFA:

AJ_Lethal:

Why not just have them branch out? LA has an all girl branch as a freaky coincidence.

Or that too.

Fucking Hollywood and it's reboot fetish.

Seems like a fun idea. The all-male team was enjoyable, why not give the women a shot at it?

RaikuFA:

AJ_Lethal:

Or even just the Ghostbusters made their business into a chain that now has groups in other cities. The big problem was that, as hard as they tried to make the events in Ghostbusters 2 bigger, they made it something smaller. If they branched out into other cities, that would increase the scale of the threat ghosts are posing without needing to try and make a bigger enemy than Goser, because it would show things happening on a broader scale.

As weird as it sounds, I am actually WAY more okay with this than I am with trying to make an actual sequel without Harold Ramis.

Sad as it is to say, a live-action version of the old Ghostbusters is never gonna happen. Not anymore. Cause if they even ATTEMPTED it without Egon, it wouldn't feel right at all.

At least with a new team in a new continuity, none of that matters anymore. If it looks good, I'll be all over this.

Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.

Joking aside I just don't see it working with four women.

The problem besides that though is the whole reboot thing. Why reboot it? Why not just build on the previous movies? Ghostbusters Inc. could have branches and the people above me have already pointed this out a thousand times.

This quite frankly is nothing but a cash grab. "Hey it's been 30 years right? Shouldn't we remake the movie see if we can grab a new audience rather than the one that is still alive and kicking?"

I think this will just be kinda shit and lame, all girl reboot whooo. It just seems like the IN thing to do right now. I say use the idea as said above of other cities havin teams, i mean after gozer they prob are alot more busy now and in the 2nd film etc maybe take time since the last film into account, the ghost busters are old now, they have kids familys, an good friend and died use it. Or maybe even have the old guys pass on the torch to their kids or other ppl, then you have a reboot point there if they want.

I think this sounds fun. I'm confident the movie will be shit however. Not because of an all female team, but just because hollywood is awful at reboots.

my interest has just gone from -2 to 10

AJ_Lethal:

because one of them is dead and they're past it by this point....

Kuredan:
I could see a Tina Fey/ Amy Pohler/ Melissa McCarthy/ Kirsten Wiig Ghostbusters working out pretty well.

for some reason I can see Sandra Bullock being in there too (for better or worse)

1337mokro:
Eh it can work but now you have the impossible task of finding four, not one, two or three. FOUR female leads that can both act and be funny at the same time. It's just not done. The last time I laughed at a female comic was when she had a wardrobe malfunction and I thought I was getting food. I was 4 months old.
"

this myth really needs to fucking die

Why would it need to be rebooted?

Just have the Ghostbusters finally franchising the business (you know, like Venkman mentioned in the first movie) and have a nice cameo from Akyroyd to sent them off on their merry way or something like that.

Well it could work just wish it wasn't the bridesmaid director because I thought that was a complete piece of shit.

But its a better concept then what usually happens with reboots.

AstaresPanda:
It just seems like the IN thing to do right now.

See, it's really not, though. It's becoming increasingly popular for some people to (rightfully) complain about lack of female representation online, but that only seems like a roar when compared to the silence that came before it. Honestly, especially on sites like this, people who want this sort of thing tend to get shouted down.

And in Hollywood? When was the last time you saw a big-budget comedy with four female leads? How many big-budget movies do you see with four female leads, period?

Eh, to be honest I'd prefer a gender-swap over getting the original cast back together...namely because Harold Ramis is (sadly) no longer with us. That said, I'd really just as soon see the franchise be put to rest rather than dug up for a reboot. It most certainly will not be as good as the original. That's not nostalgia talking, that's simply the fact that no one would be able to match Ramis' writing talents.

So on the note of reboots...

Rutskarn:

AstaresPanda:

See, it's really not, though. It's becoming increasingly popular for some people to (rightfully) complain about lack of female representation online, but that only seems like a roar when compared to the silence that came before it. Honestly, especially on sites like this, people who want this sort of thing tend to get shouted down.

And in Hollywood? When was the last time you saw a big-budget comedy with four female leads? How many big-budget movies do you see with four female leads, period?

im fine with it, just not with ghost busters tacked on it to boost sales. They wanna make a funny movie all female leads fine, call it somthing else.

I'm against this because I'm all for it!

Female Ghost Busters getting slimed!
Female Raymond sleeping with slime!
Hosing down the Statue Of Liberty & female Janosz with slime again!

I must say No because I really want to say Yes!

Vault101:

1337mokro:
"

Yeah, it does need to die in the sense of finding four "females" to work together. It should be finding four (or more potentially) actors that can work together will be the issue. More often than not, the movies I've seen where more than 3 actors are considered the main, it becomes an issue of finding out who will be the "lead" main and who will be the semi-main actors and how the group dynamics work. And it all also depends on how good the director is, how good the writers are, and how good the entire studio behind the movie, not just the actors. The few movies that did it with more than 3 actor leads (Harry Potter, Ghostbusters, LotR)? I bet that if at least one of the actors was different there would have been issues that may have negatively influenced the movies.

Now, the main issue is if a female lead Ghostbusters happens, will it pass the Bechtel Test? /s

I'm not bugged, that they're rebooting, I wouldn't be bugged that they're making ghostbusters women.

You can make a clever and funny sci-fi comedy with an all female cast, and you can reboot a beloved movie like Ghostbusters successfully even if you need to take it in a completely new direction to update it (Look at Evil Dead)

However, both of those facts together, makes the whole thing reek of stunt casting for the sake of creating controversy. Why don't people make movies for the sake of the movie and it's entertainment value, instead of just doing things to drum up watercooler talk. It does a disservice to the fans of the original movie by cheaping the original vision of the film, and it does a disservice to the women in the movie, by wasting their time and efforts making a movie where they have a legacy to "live up to" when they could be spending their time and originality making new movies and franchises that can become classics on their own merit.

Instead of making Mellissa McCarthy, the "Female Bill Murray", why don't we let her make a hillarious new supernatural comedy where she can create her own iconic characters. (Something I'm sure she can do given the chance, and a script that doesn't peg her as "annoying fat woman #5632" again)

It made the rounds earlier in the day that Paul Feig, director of the hit comedy Bridesmaids, may have become the surprise frontrunner to direct the endlessly in-production Ghostbusters 3 for Sony.

Um, okay? Not really sure how that'll work out but at least he has some degree of comedy pedigree, so it could work. I genuinely didn't like Bridesmaids but I at least recognized the comedic potential.

But now Variety and other industry sources are reporting that the project is something else entirely: A reboot of the franchise with a new all-female Ghostbusting team.

That....could actually work. I could easily go along with this, provided they get the script right. I kind of like this idea, especially now that Harold Ramis is gone. Certainly more than still attempting a third installment with the original cast.

So, yeah. I like this. A lot. I'm on board. Let's get this thing goi....

No casting has been named, but you don't have to be Egon Spengler to intuit that the studio would hope for Feig's in-demand frequent collaborator Melissa McCarthy to be part of the deal

Aaaaand I'm out. Fuck that.

Unless she can do something OTHER than loud-mouthed, obnoxious pain in the ass I really won't be able to watch this. At all.

There are far better options to fill the gender-swapped roles in this film.

Vault101:

for some reason I can see Sandra Bullock being in there too (for better or worse)

And even if it was for worse I'd still prefer her to Melissa McCarthy.

Vault101:

because one of them is dead and they're past it by this point...

Do we need all four of them? Extreme Ghostbusters only had one of them as an oldie, the rest were gone until the reunion episode. Why not have, say, Dan Aykroyd as the only one still doing the Ghostbuster shit (he was the one most interested in ghosts in the old ones anyway)?

RJ 17:
Eh, to be honest I'd prefer a gender-swap over getting the original cast back together...namely because Harold Ramis is (sadly) no longer with us. That said, I'd really just as soon see the franchise be put to rest rather than dug up for a reboot. It most certainly will not be as good as the original. That's not nostalgia talking, that's simply the fact that no one would be able to match Ramis' writing talents.

This is nostalgia talking!

RatGouf:

RJ 17:

This is nostalgia talking!

Such sagely advice...truly Jay Sherman was both a scholar and a prophet.

Vault101:

1337mokro:
"

It will be as soon as you prove me wrong by showing me a movie with 4 female comedians in it that make me laugh. Doesn't even have to be 4 comedians that are women. Just four women that all star as the leading roles and is funny. Can't be 4 women are in the movie and some other guys starring as well who are there to provide the actual humour. Can't be a movie that "critics" thought was funny. I have to actually laugh.

4 women. All leading roles. Funny to me.

3 conditions on which this "myth" will die. Until then it will be as hard a fact as Daniel Tosh sucks ass. Which if you have had the misfortune of watching his show is almost terrifyingly hard...

1337mokro:
snip

Ah, come on, that's a bit of a steep order, at least ammend some guy providing the humor to "Some guy provides humor as well, but is ultimately a background character"

1337mokro:
Snip

I don't really watch comedies, at all, so please refer me to a comedy with four male leads that would make me laugh. Because I can't think of any.

Ghostbusters doesn't count for obvious reasons.

Also frankly your attitude is just pretty sexist. This idea can't work because female actors aren't funny? Pretty cut and dry sexism. And don't say that isn't what you were saying, because there's really no other way to read your attitude other than that.

Hasn't this already been debunked?

AstaresPanda:

A handful of parts have shifted to women. If that's what qualifies as "in" now, then yes.

I do like the idea some people are championing here of having the female ghostbusters be a new branch outside of NY for a bit of continuity but well let's see where this goes...

Personally I think the problem is less "can women be funny?" and more "who can be the female Bill Murray?"

RealRT:
Do we need all four of them? Extreme Ghostbusters only had one of them as an oldie, the rest were gone until the reunion episode. Why not have, say, Dan Aykroyd as the only one still doing the Ghostbuster shit (he was the one most interested in ghosts in the old ones anyway)?

Egon would be the most sensible choice for the reasons that he ended up being the one "oldie" in Extreme.

Though it could work with any of them.

Even then, I'm not sure they should bother. It's not going to be like it was. Trying to tie it to the old movies seems like a waste. Why not just enjoy the first two as they are, and take a potential new movie on its own merits (or lack of therein)?

Reboots can be stupid. Rebooting something from 5 years ago? I get that. Constant origin stories? Also get it. A series that last saw a silver screen release in 1989? I think we can let it go at this point. Especially since it almost certainly won't be the same beast as before.

erttheking:

Perhaps I missed something, but what are the obvious reasons?

Well, if the original crew can't get back together, a new crew may as well be used. I just hope they don't try for dark and gritty, and maintain the humor of the originals.

I'm not against the idea, I just hope it turns out well.

erttheking:

1337mokro:
Snip

I don't really watch comedies, at all, so please refer me to a comedy with four male leads that would make me laugh. Because I can't think of any.

Also frankly your attitude is just pretty sexist. This idea can't work because female actors aren't funny? Pretty cut and dry sexism. And don't say that isn't what you were saying, because there's really no other way to read your attitude other than that.

Ghostbusters doesn't count because it's the instant game over for you. How about you don't make up silly rules like "This movie that was funny and that we are now talking about won't be funny with four women leading it, that one doesn't count as an example of how four women can't make a funny movie."

Sure then let's see... Ghostbusters 2? Didn't see that coming did you? But sure I'll humour your little cop out clause.

Anchorman. 4 male leads, there's a woman there but you didn't say there couldn't also be a woman.

What's that? I'm cheating? You want a funny movie without any women involved in the lead? Have some Monthy Python! Any of his movies really. Meaning of Life is one where there's 5 funny guys who are in the lead.

Try Four Lions, funny terrorist movie. See that? With the right leads people trying to commit terrorism is funny!

There's literally DOZENS more with 3 guys, 4 is hard because 4 people rarely lead a movie. Poster space you see.

With 3 guys, no women in the lead roles.

You have Hot Fuzz, The Hang Over, Three Stooges, Basically most of Eddy Murphy's work has 3 leads, Blues Brothers, The Ladykillers, Napoleon Dynamite, Three Amigos, The Odd Couple, ETC!

It literally goes ON AND ON AND ON! I could even go into cartoons where 3 men are the leads and the movie is still funny! Heck I don't even fucking LIKE some of these movies but I acknowledge they have some funny jokes in them.

What's on the female side? Bridesmaids? All about Steve? Why don't you just be kind and punch me in the face instead, the pain might actually make me laugh more than that disaster.

I am only sexist when I am factually correct. Which is what sexism is nowadays. When I say something about women that is true, but they don't want to hear it. So yes I am incredibly sexist because I say allot of true things that women don't want to hear.

Example 1:

"Honey don't try to fix that on your own. You don't know how to do that."

"What are you calling me stupid? I don't know how to fix a light fixture? Oh I'm just a woman and I can't do" ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! "OMG baby that hurt so bad! Why did it do that!?"

"Don't go asking me why you got electrocuted by a light fixture when you jam your fingers in there. I told you not to touch it because you aren't a fucking electrician. Move aside and let me fix what I know how to fix"

Example 2:

"Sweetie wait for me to help you with that dresser, the thing is heavy, it's going break when you lift it up."

"Oh so you think I can't do this on my own. I need a big strong man to help me" CRACK! "OMG I'm so sorry baby the thing just broke when I..."

"Shut your mouth and get the damned car keys. When we get to IKEA you shut up and let me do the talking and god help you if you start mouthing off about how I'm silencing your voice. I am not spending money on a second dresser because you just had to be independent from gravity."

1337mokro:

It will be as soon as you prove me wrong by showing me a movie with 4 female comedians in it that make me laugh. Doesn't even have to be 4 comedians that are women. Just four women that all star as the leading roles and is funny. Can't be 4 women are in the movie and some other guys starring as well who are there to provide the actual humour. Can't be a movie that "critics" thought was funny. I have to actually laugh.

the problem with "can woman be funny" is its not only false but its a bullshit double standard/self fulfilling prophecy, I mean for fucks sake has Adam Sandler been funny in a long time? has rob Schider EVER been funny? a lot of comedies as just as dumb as the next one

for a straight up full on comedy staring women I'd have to go with Bridesmaids...

Orange is the New Black could probably count too as its full of hilarious parts (and a cast almost entirely of women)

1337mokro:

Example 1:

"Honey don't try to fix that on your own. You don't know how to do that."

"What are you calling me stupid? I don't know how to fix a light fixture? Oh I'm just a woman and I can't do" ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! "OMG baby that hurt so bad! Why did it do that!?"

"Don't go asking me why you got electrocuted by a light fixture when you jam your fingers in there. I told you not to touch it because you aren't a fucking electrician. Move aside and let me fix what I know how to fix"

Example 2:

"Sweetie wait for me to help you with that dresser, the thing is heavy, it's going break when you lift it up."

"Oh so you think I can't do this on my own. I need a big strong man to help me" CRACK! "OMG I'm so sorry baby the thing just broke when I..."

"Shut your mouth and get the damned car keys. When we get to IKEA you shut up and let me do the talking and god help you if you start mouthing off about how I'm silencing your voice. I am not spending money on a second dresser because you just had to be independent from gravity."

0_0.....so uh.....youre divorced right?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or