Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To XBLA?

Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To XBLA?

A mysterious URL on the Japanese Xbox site suggests that some kind of Final Fantasy IV game will be coming to the Xbox 360.

Seems there's a Final Fantasy 4 page indexed on the Japanese Xbox site, which implies plenty in and of itself, but if you actually go to the URL http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/games/f/finalfantasy4, you'll be forwarded to a page with a "/details.page" appended to the end. The address leads to an error page that doesn't actually have any information or content, but here's the interesting part: Try doing the same with "finalfantasyv" or "finalfantasyexotica" and you'll get the same error page, but not the "/details.page" part at the end. Which would suggest that there's something up with Final Fantasy IV, otherwise there wouldn't be any "details" of which to speak.

1UP, who uncovered the mystery URL to begin with, seems to believe that this all indicates an XBLA port of Final Fantasy IV: The After, a cell phone-only sequel to Final Fantasy IV which is written and directed by the original director of FFIV. Only last week, Square-Enix announced a commitment to pubish "popular titles - as well as original content - on Xbox Live Arcade." The first two titles the company is releasing on XBLA, Yosumin Live and Crystal Defenders, are both ports of cell phone games, so it's not hard to believe that Square has the same thing in mind for The After.

That's all well and good for Japanese Xbox owners, but what about the rest of us? Well, Crystal Defenders, which has been indirectly confirmed for the US by an ESRB rating, is also on WiiWare and PlayStation Network. Fingers crossed the same thing happens for Final Fantasy IV: The After.

I suppose it could be a port of a cellphone game, but it seems to me that using /finalfantasy4 as the identifier instead of - for example - /finalfantasy4theafter would indicate a port of the original Final Fantasy IV game and not something 'new'.

SquareEnix completely redesigned the game in 3D for the Nintendo DS, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they released another tweaked port for download on XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare.

Edit: I'd totally buy either though. Just thought I'd add that :P

How can they do a sequel? Didn't halfof the characters die in FFIV? Or are they going on the basis of the ports/remakes that allowed you to change the characters in the end?

I haven't played the ports/remakes so I don't know how this was implimented.

the_tramp:
How can they do a sequel? Didn't halfof the characters die in FFIV? Or are they going on the basis of the ports/remakes that allowed you to change the characters in the end?

I haven't played the ports/remakes so I don't know how this was implimented.

Actually, most of them survived. I think Tellah was the only one who was dead.

Here is the Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV_the_After#Plot

Jhereg42:

Actually, most of them survived. I think Tellah was the only one who was dead.

Here is the Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV_the_After#Plot

Tellah dies.
I'm speaking from a very fuzzy memory but doesn't Yang die when he blows up the giant robot, or some sort of tower falls?
Palom and Porum are frozen in stone, but are un-stoned (golden needle!?) during the credits so that explains them.
FuSoYa dies... I think. Damn I need to replay that game...

Ok. Fair enough you have a good point. I just remembered a lot of deaths in that game for some reason. It's probably because I played FFIIj afterwards and there is a person dying/getting lost/leaving your party every 5 minutes in that game so I must've gotten them confused.

No, you are not that far off. Fusoya lives at the end as he and Golblez go into hybernation at the end. There were a lot of "death" scenes in the game that were reversed in the course of the game. The Twins turning themselves to stone, Yang blowing himself up, Cid crashing himself a couple times, Kain having a bad case of MPD, Rydia getting swallowed, ect. Even that spoony bard has his moments.

I just replayed this fairly recently on my older Gameboy Advance, so it's fresh in my memory.

the sequal stars the son of cecil and renoa (or whatever his girlfriend is called)its not very good though so hopefully its ff4 not the cell phone sequal.

It's good to see that Microsoft are getting fair access to the Final Fantasty franchise, but i'm sure that if it's not offered to the Playstation network a lot of fans will be upset.

....isn't the sequel to Final Fantasy IV Final Fantasy V?

Indigo_Dingo:
....isn't the sequel to Final Fantasy IV Final Fantasy V?

But that would make sense and you know how Square Enix hates making sense.

broken-serenity:
the sequal stars the son of cecil and renoa (or whatever his girlfriend is called)its not very good though so hopefully its ff4 not the cell phone sequal.

...Rosa. Rinoa with an I is from FFVIII.

Sgt. Dante:
It's good to see that Microsoft are getting fair access to the Final Fantasty franchise, but i'm sure that if it's not offered to the Playstation network a lot of fans will be upset.

Problem is when microsoft gets 'fair access' to something they buy off the 'fair access' to anyone else.

As long as this doesn't stop it from being a DS port.

Also...FFS people there is a spoiler command on these damn forums for a reason. Not everyone has played every game yet.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here